• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

The bolded is irrelevant. Again by that posted metric even a diminished RAW and Smackdown's ratings eclipse USA Network's other programming. Both programs get the most eyeballs for the network. Unless USA is going to fill their slot with late season baseball or Football games (they won't) they're not going to see a bigger earner than that WWE suite.

Ratings are a percentage of viewers, no? If USA has more subscribers, and WWE programming has a worse rating, this is a bad thing, right?

Heroman

Banned
The bolded is irrelevant. Again by that posted metric even a diminished RAW and Smackdown's ratings eclipse USA Network's other programming. Both programs get the most eyeballs for the network. Unless USA is going to fill their slot with late season baseball or Football games (they won't) they're not going to see a bigger earner than that WWE suite.

Earner? WWE has really low ad revenue , WWE is really just there to make them the number one cable network. But wwe is like by the current president of the USA network so they really don't have to worry about losing tv contact however there is a big chance that their next tv deal will not be as big as the one they have now then they are in trouble.

– According to PWinsider, Global Force Wrestling issued the following, announcing that they were suspending Alberto El Patron…

Global Force Wrestling has indefinitely suspended Alberto El Patron, effective immediately, until the investigation is resolved following a recent incident in Orlando, Florida.

Patron has been in the news for the past few days, following a public altercation with Paige where Patron was seen being detained by police in the Orlando airport.

tumblr_mr3b54edkE1qbynzfo1_400.gif

My mind is still old school thinking, "Holy crap PPVs used to be 35 bucks a month!" I mean most my life I watched PPVs using... well, special boxes. So the 9.99 isn't the worst for me.

BUT... is that 9.99 better than what you get for Netflix? Hulu? Spofity? Xbox Game Pass?
It all depends.

For me yes because I have the time to watch two PPVs a month. I don't have time for non stop tv series or games.

Saying that, I still have Netflix and Hulu but it's more for the wife and kids who watch it way more than me,

Aside from not wanting to support the company directly from an ethical standpoint, I just don't find the presentation of the content to be great. It could be a much better set up of content for discovering, "binging", and so forth. I've used this analogy in the past but it really feels like a friend coming over and handing you a USB drive

We're at the point where the Highspots Wrestling Network is probably a better value than the WWE Network just in terms of recent content

Raw64life

– According to PWinsider, Global Force Wrestling issued the following, announcing that they were suspending Alberto El Patron…

Global Force Wrestling has indefinitely suspended Alberto El Patron, effective immediately, until the investigation is resolved following a recent incident in Orlando, Florida.

Patron has been in the news for the past few days, following a public altercation with Paige where Patron was seen being detained by police in the Orlando airport.

They've already taped the next 6 weeks of shows, so they'll probably suspend him for a month and then he'll be back for the next set of tapings.

Alberto is pretty much done with the major wrestling promotions now.

Tom Nook

Canceling WWE network, not because of lack of content or anything, but expenses like ISP and PG&E has gone up a little. Something has to go....

Ratings are a percentage of viewers, no? If USA has more subscribers, and WWE programming has a worse rating, this is a bad thing, right?

Worse rating than what?

Earner? WWE has really low ad revenue , WWE is really just there to make them the number one cable network. But wwe is like by the current president of the USA network so they really don't have to worry about losing tv contact however there is a big chance that their next tv deal will not be as big as the one they have now then they are in trouble.

Again, based on what? What does USA have if they let go of WWE? I've heard all these reports about the USA boss liking WWE and whatnot, of course she does, WWE has made USA the top cable network!

If WWE ratings were dropping irrespective of everything else on TV I would understand this position, but EVERYTHING on TV is dropping like a stone.

Mahonay

Banned

Stop giving this man your titles.

Worse rating than what?

Again, based on what? What does USA have if they let go of WWE? I've heard all these reports about the USA boss liking WWE and whatnot, of course she does, WWE has made USA the top cable network!

If WWE ratings were dropping irrespective of everything else on TV I would understand this position, but EVERYTHING on TV is dropping like a stone.

Worse ratings than when they actually had good ratings.

I'm not sure how you are trying to spin this poaitively or as if it means mothing. They have been hitting all time lows frequently this year and this doesnt help them with getting the same or a better deal with USA. The deal they have now is less than they assumed they would get when they were doing better.

Edit- floslam is totally fucked after those recent changes to the flo network thing.

Worse ratings than when they actually had good ratings.

I'm not sure how you are trying to spin this poaitively or as if it means mothing. They have been hitting all time lows frequently this year and this doesnt help them with getting the same or a better deal with USA. The deal they have now is less than they assumed they would get when they were doing better.
I'm not trying to spin anything into a positive. Falling ratings is bad. Is that a symptom of WWE, or TV as a whole though?

My point is that even a diminished WWE will garner an increased price, as it is still USA's ratings champion.

I'm not trying to spin anything into a positive. Falling ratings is bad. Is that a symptom of WWE, or TV as a whole though?

My point is that even a diminished WWE will garner an increased price, as it is still USA's ratings champion.

Its both. WWE is down more than the rest of TV and TV is falling too.

WWE got less than they wanted last time they negotiated with USA. Why would they get more now, when they are having record lows and have been dropping faster than the rest of TV and asvertisers pay fuck all?

Kaladin

I'm looking forward to seeing the second day of the Mae Young Classic Live. I'll report back here with which matches are worth watching from the second batch of shows they'll be dropping. Looking forward to Friday.

For the record, Meltzer never said he definitely thinks WWE is getting an increase. He wrote a big piece where the main conclusion was that, no matter what we all like to think, no one can say how WWE's next TV deal will go because it has nothing to do with how WWE is doing. It will be determined by how everything else is doing and how much WWE will matter to USA at that time. Remember, you don't get what you're worth. You get what you have the leverage to negotiate.

Sounds like an accurate sim game.

Juice Robinson is a fucking best for some reason from the CAW I got.

He took like 15 Gotch Style Piledrivers from Suzuki and didn't stay down for 3 till the 16th.

Took three Rainmakers to put him down

But

Only one One Winged Angel XD

I love this game now that I have all my NJPW guys in it

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ratings are down a Ross the board but we're are down double the average

I mean, kind of. Ratings can't really go down, the total viewing audience can - the younger audience itself doesn't watch TV and old people watch wrestling, they just don't watch it enough to make up for the ratings.

Interestingly enough, the company hasn't seemed to have suffered as much as people would imagine from declining ratings, attendance and switching over to a non-PPV model.

Anth0ny

Didn't Vince promise his stockholders that the tv deal in 2014 would be waaaaaay up like a true carny, only for the tv deal to be the same as the last one since no one besides USA have any interest at all in fake sports?

They'll either lose money going back to USA, or lose money going to another network. In no world does a program that is down like 60% over 5 years command the same fee, let alone a higher fee.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is this finally the incident that will get companies to stop fucking hiring Alberto Del Rio or is being a former WWE champion just that much of an allure?

I mean, you know you're a fuckup when even TNA will suspend you for your conduct.

Fox318

Is this finally the incident that will get companies to stop fucking hiring Alberto Del Rio or is being a former WWE champion just that much of an allure?

I mean, you know you're a fuckup when even TNA will suspend you for your conduct.

as long as there are carnies out there he will have a job.

As I said at the beginning of the page, they already have stuff taped until the August 17th show. If he's actually still suspended when he's supposed to defend the belt on that show, then yeah I'll believe he's done for the most part, but as of right now they've done literally nothing against him.

Anth0ny

It's fucking absurd. In what world is, or ever was, del rio a draw? He's a fucking buffoon.

Kornflayx

Since someone mentioned Trevor Murdoch. Remember in 2008 (?) when NOAH had a training camp in the US and Kobashi was doing the beginner class and Trevor fucking Murdoch was doing the advanced class?

Good times

Kaladin

All signs point to probably not. They got a big cash infusion and got spend happy, but the money's running out

I bet Gabe is kicking himself for signing that before all this stuff with the WWE went down. I bet he'd be a part of their Network expansion plans.

Alberto was meant to be part of PWE (Ayrshire, Scotland promotion ran by Lionheart) for their upcoming anniversary shows, but they announced he wouldn't be appearing anymore.

However, they then announced Pete Dunne and realised the resulting boost in sales meant they'd be fine. All is well.

Zach

Fire Pro is not for OwensIsNow

Guys, Fire Pro is fucking awful.

WWE2K > Fire Pro and it's not even close.

Fire Pro is awful, jabronies.

Fire Pro doesn't feel good, it doesn't sound good, it doesn't look good.
1 star for amount character customization.

Fire Pro is bad because it looks, sounds, and plays like shit. Not because it's complicated.

I'm starting to enjoy Fire Pro.

[Fire Pro Wrestling World is] pretty much all set, but adding these things would make it the GOAT.

[...]

OwensIsNow is my favorite poster.

gun_haver

The whole Paige thing is gross. Her family seem like a bunch of attention seekers too, playing up the drama. 'She's gonna end up like whitney houston'.....come on man.

She needs to quit wrestling and go away for the quiet life and if Del Rio is a beater he needs to go to jail and go away and try to be a tough guy in jail.

Its both. WWE is down more than the rest of TV and TV is falling too.

WWE got less than they wanted last time they negotiated with USA. Why would they get more now, when they are having record lows and have been dropping faster than the rest of TV and asvertisers pay fuck all?
We're going back and forth here. I already gave my answer - even a diminished WWE is USA highest rated program suite. They will pay to keep it that way.

The whole Paige thing is gross. Her family seem like a bunch of attention seekers too, playing up the drama. 'She's gonna end up like whitney houston'.....come on man.

She needs to quit wrestling and go away for the quiet life and if Del Rio is a beater he needs to go to jail and go away and try to be a tough guy in jail.

or they're, you know, concerned their sister is being beaten in another country

We're going back and forth here. I already gave my answer - even a diminished WWE is USA highest rated program suite. They will pay to keep it that way.

The negotiation leverage is certainly in WWE's favor, however if ratings are down across the board that could be impacting NBC's (owner of USA) willingness to give out as much.

So a different way to look at is if WWE is currently getting (all hypothetical) $300 million total in their current contract and is USA's highest rated show, when negotiations come NBC may say "We know you're the highest, but best we can do is $210 million".

So while WWE will still be getting paid well as the highest rated show there could be an overall drop in total compensation due to declining numbers across the board.

Top Bottom