• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Egg0

Banned
Evo moment #7865112

MXeyUx.gif

UberTag

NXT = Take wrestling talent that made it big elsewhere and dilute everything that made them unique and special into some overly rigid, cookie-cutter milquetoast sports entertainer.

NJPW = Take wrestling talent that struggled elsewhere and afford them the creative freedom to develop their skills, their persona and their ringwork to their peak potential against the best in the world. Unless they're Cody Rhodes... in which case you just sort of shrug your shoulders at the bad sports entertainer habits that are too ingrained to fix.

Zach

Got my Amazon Echo.

"Echo, play Simply Ravishing."

"I can't find the song Simply Ravishing."

I've made a huge mistake.

NJPW dojo is what WWE wishes the performance center was.

NXT = Take wrestling talent that made it big elsewhere and dilute everything that made them unique and special into some overly rigid, cookie-cutter milquetoast sports entertainer.

NJPW = Take wrestling talent that struggled elsewhere and afford them the creative freedom to develop their skills, their persona and their ringwork to their peak potential against the best in the world. Unless they're Cody Rhodes... in which case you just sort of shrug your shoulders at the bad sports entertainer habits that are too ingrained to fix.

Indeed.

Reminds me of Sami Callihan, too. Dud in NXT, but pretty enjoyable in LU (and elsewhere, I'm assuming).

UberTag

Can that Braun-Roman .gif be included in next month's OP?
And in the first post of every thread that follows?

It's positively glorious.

somedevil

So why the Takeovers all very good then?

I just took a wrasslin' rite of passage and actually watched a live event for the first time. I was expecting people I'd never heard of at all delivering the kind of struggle antics that pop up midway through a botchamania episode, instead it was actually FUN, whadda twist!
Thus my first main event I've seen live....Doug Williams vs Mark Haskins, Doug can still go!

My friend delivered a belated birthday present to me of a signed Scrull pic where the so called villain is wishing me a happy birthday, how can I find him villainous now?!

NoRéN;243634869 said:
That botchamania is my first time seeing the G1 special on TV. Was the commentary that bad throughout?

Only Night 1. They used JR and Barnett - the AXS commentators, instead of Kelly and Cyrus, the NJPW commentators. JR & Barnett were unprepared for both the ROH guys and the lower card NJPW guys (AXS normally only shows the high profile matches - they know all about the guys like Okada and Suzuki, but far less about GoD or Page for example).

It's mostly on them, but NJPW has a bit of blame as they cold shouldered them on the night instead of having a proper production meeting. I think the Bucks not liking Barnett, who has not commentated well on their stuff in the past was a factor in that.

Really, everyone involved could have done with being more professional

So why the Takeovers all very good then?

Happen rarely enough they can't be run into the ground

One of the many reasons I say a lot of yall will be disappointed when HHH takes over and sucks too. Being good at maximum 3.5 hours a week (NXT + Takeover) is nothing compared to minimum 7 hours a week (Raw + SD + NXT + 205), same with one or two 2 hr PPVs a quarter vs two 3 hr PPVs a month

That drop in quality shows, it'll continue to show when he's the one doing it all, and he's big enough an egomaniac that he won't delegate and will in fact be the one doing it all

Happen rarely enough they can't be run into the ground

One of the many reasons I say a lot of yall will be disappointed when HHH takes over and sucks too. Being good at maximum 3.5 hours a week (NXT + Takeover) is nothing compared to minimum 7 hours a week (Raw + SD + NXT + 205), same with one or two 2 hr PPVs a quarter vs two 3 hr PPVs a month

That drop in quality shows, it'll continue to show when he's the one doing it all, and he's big enough an egomaniac that he won't delegate and will in fact be the one doing it all

Aye! It's also pretty easy to have a good program when you're signing established talent.

Sephzilla

So who trained Big E, American Alpha, AOP, Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Carmella, Alexa Bliss, Braun?

To be fair. Carmella and Bliss aren't exactly great when it comes to in ring work. Everything I've been told was that Braun wasn't exactly in NXT for super long (he was hot shotted up, which is why he was never on NXT aside from being a rosebud). And Charlotte didn't really come into her own until she left NXT

Heroman

Banned
So who trained Big E, American Alpha, AOP, Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Carmella, Alexa Bliss, Braun?
Are those guys supposed to be good? Cause they range from bad to mediocre. And what about the drifter, The asenaion, MOJO, Baron, adien English etc. Though Charlotte and Saha Banks are standouts. And Braun wasn't in NXT or at least not for very long

Raw64life

Big E, Charlotte & Banks were part of NXT when it was still mostly about actually developing talent.

I would not call AoP good wrestlers.

Carmella and Bliss are bad at wrestling.

Braun was barely in NXT at all and was shit for a good while on the main roster before he got good.

Hasney

There are so many "indie darlings" who have a year or two of school, then suck for three years before they get real good after honing their craft. There are very few naturals.

It's not so much the PC sucks, it's more some of those guys are down there for a year before being called up and then expected to be amazing.

Enzo is exhibit A why the PC is bad

He got called up when he was over, not when he was ready.

WWE is all over the place with NXT call ups.

Extremely talented people who are main event ready from day 1 will waste years in NXT while some random people will get called up in weeks. Some will get called up without ever wrestling a live match (Braun)

There is no logic to it. Its like they randomly just pick whoever based on their look and toss them out onto RAW one week.

somedevil

Are those guys supposed to be good? Cause they range from bad to mediocre. And what about the drifter, The asenaion, MOJO, Baron, adien English etc. Though Charlotte and Saha Banks are standouts.

There is more than work rate to be considered a success you know. Plus Baron Corbin is fine.

NXT so far has been better creating women then men from scratch.

He got called up when he was over, not when he was ready.

WWE is all over the place with NXT call ups.

Extremely talented people who are main event ready from day 1 will waste years in NXT while some random people will get called up in weeks. Some will get called up without ever wrestling a live match (Braun)

There is no logic to it. Its like they randomly just pick whoever based on their look and toss them out onto RAW one week.

E&C we're down there for FOUR years.

Hex

Banned
In my opinion it is the "WWE style" that hurts people.
A good performer, knows their strengths and their weaknesses.
In the indys they get to have alot more input on matches and even character.

Now that beings said, WWE brings in a bunch of garbage too just based on looks and some shit you just can't polish.

The trainers, they know the WWE style, and they know the style they were good at but the WWE has to have the last word and it is rare that they allow input at the early level.
In fact, everything I have seen and read tells me that they try and break that out of you (unless you are one of the chosen).

I miss the days of the territories.
The indys are still alot like that, and which is why it is great to see Marty or the Bucks or Ospreay show up at ROH, or a Brit show, or some show over in California, and then at a New Japan show.
Talent gets to do their thing and it is about 30 minute-50 minute matches of laying it all out there instead of 7 minutes with two commercial breaks where the commentators spend half of the time talking about other people and other things and not putting talent over.

That's barely any time to go from scratch. Braun would be found out if he was made to have wrestling matches too, but he's the one guy they've managed to hide the weaknesses of. Don't know why they don't even try with other guys.

The problem is , how long can they do it?
Sooner or later as has already been introduced you ask why is he not going for Brock and why is Brock not going for him?
Then what?
Which monster moves on?
Which monster is exposed?

That's barely any time to go from scratch. Braun would be found out if he was made to have wrestling matches too, but he's the one guy they've managed to hide the weaknesses of. Don't know why they don't even try with other guys.

I know but at the same time after four years all they could do was teach Cass a boot and fall away slam?

somedevil

Big E, Charlotte & Banks were part of NXT when it was still mostly about actually developing talent.

I would not call AoP good wrestlers.

Carmella and Bliss are bad at wrestling.

Braun was barely in NXT at all and was shit for a good while on the main roster before he got good.

AOP are good for how much experience they have and are putting on good match with Heavy Machinery.

Braun was in NXT for 2 years before they called him up and got better as he got more experience. So who gets credit for his success when he is a WWE creation?

Plus what are actually the guidelines to a success? Cause how can people not consider Alexa a success? The guidelines between WWE and New Japan are different.

Top Bottom