• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Anth0ny

Given how bad that card was going in, and it still under-delivered, I don't get how KO and AJ weren't motivated to try to steal the show.

what is really the point in "stealing the show"

they probably said fuck it, just have a nice, slow wwe style match at this c-tier ppv because who the fuck cares

Why did KO lose the belt at house show only to win it back a couple of weeks later? He's spent most of his time in WWE as a champ or challenging someone for a title, right?

Why did KO lose the belt at house show only to win it back a couple of weeks later? He's spent most of his time in WWE as a champ or challenging someone for a title, right?

I'm still wondering if it was supposed to happen. If he drops it Tuesday it clearly wasn't, but for anyone who was there live, did Styles react like he knew he fucked up?

It not being replayed at all the rest of the show is definitely odd if it was planned.

They did it for an MSG crowd. If it was anywhere else I would think maybe they fucked up but I can understand doing that for MSG.

Egg0

Banned
I'm still wondering if it was supposed to happen. If he drops it Tuesday it clearly wasn't, but for anyone who was there live, did Styles react like he knew he fucked up?

It not being replayed at all the rest of the show is definitely odd if it was planned.

It was so weird, I thought they were doing a 3 count/submission simultaneous finish at first.

But then the commentators didn't really mention anything.

Draxal

MSG is WWE's home arena, due to the construction, the rates for taping at MSG raised skyhigh, so if they're in the tristate they do Barclays or the Prudential center instead.

They try to load the MSG show (the Christmas tour one had Brock in a smackdown tour); but for the recent houseshow attendance is falling.

jmdajr

So WTF is up with MSG? WWE is too poor to hold live televised events there now?

edit: I see.edit edit: some stuff I saw

Unions. It costs too much to do a TV broadcast. PPV is included. They still run house shows there. But Raw and PPVs wind up being much cheaper and just as easy to run at Barclays

To elaborate for people saying "Huh? Why Unions?" If you televise (or even film) an event at MSG, you are forced to hire a certain number of workers at a certain pay rate. If you want to show moving images on a screen, you can't just bring in your own team, you have to hire their AV team for a ridiculous amount. You have to pay their lighting/camera/sound people (even if you don't use them). Anytime you see a concert from MSG, it's a vanity project where the artist (at best) barely broke even

MSG is WWE's home arena, due to the construction, the rates for taping at MSG raised skyhigh, so if they're in the tristate they do Barclays or the Prudential center instead.

They try to load the MSG show (the Christmas tour one had Brock in a smackdown tour); but for the recent houseshow attendance is falling.

New York is too good for house shows. Most people I know don't bother with house shows in Toronto. The product is already mediocre so why bother when it doesn't even really count for anything at all?

I understand all of that. What I don't understand is the point of having another title change shortly after MSG.

Anth0ny

AJ usually wants to have the best match regardless so I'm putting most of the blame with Owens. That guy hasn't had a match I've enjoyed since Battleground 2016.

I'd blame Owens too, but maybe AJ is fed up too. I'd believe it.

Consistently having the best matches and making shitty workers look like studs has gotten him... a mid card run.

Draxal

Speculation was the KO's hurt.

Which makes zero sense to put the title on him, unless they're pushing AJ and others back to the world championship scene.

Syder

Consistently having the best matches and making shitty workers look like studs has gotten him... a mid card run.
You know that even if he convinced Vince to give him Nakamura at Mania FOR the WWE title they still would be beaten to being the Main Event by Roman/Brock.

AJ's killed himself to put over Roman, Dean and Shane fucking McMahon in the last year. If he wants to coast then I can't really complain.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this Kota Ibushi v Cedric Alexandre match wasnt far off the shit they do in New Japan tbh. Like, WWE has the talent, and theyve done shit like this or the nxt stuff so we know they COULD do good stuff if they wanted.

Its baffling really, I just dont understand.

Speaking of Cedric, I wonder if he really wasnt signed at this point, he seemed pretty emotional, as if that was his big shot and that was it. Or he's just a good actor I dunno.

klonere

Banned
this Kota Ibushi v Cedric Alexandre match wasnt far off the shit they do in New Japan tbh. Like, WWE has the talent, and theyve done shit like this or the nxt stuff so we know they COULD do good stuff if they wanted.

Its baffling really, I just dont understand.

Speaking of Cedric, I wonder if he really wasnt signed at this point, he seemed pretty emotional, as if that was his big shot and that was it. Or he's just a good actor I dunno.

Cedric vs Ibushi was amazing but I try not to think about it because of poor Cedric's condition now.

As someone said yesterday in the Battleground thread, I think the AJ win was because he has that DVD coming out next year and they probably wanna highlight more then just one whole title win so it may have all been done just for a very brief run.

klonere

Banned
DFebX0SXsAQro62.jpg:large

zuYGNy6.gif

It looked like AJ's shoulders weren't on the mat. Yet no replay was show or anything about it at all. The ref wasn't in the right position.

Very weird finish.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It looked like AJ's shoulders weren't on the mat. Yet no replay was show or anything about it at all. The ref wasn't in the right position.

Very weird finish.

no, I think thats what it was SUPPOSED to be, except AJ's shoudlers were clearly on the mat. Also the count was super slow.

Him and Ellsworth, yes. Various sources including PWInsider and Rovert have alluded to as much, outright saying it's for star power

I don't know if releases will happen to accomodate the Shakeup additions. For the record, financials come out this week and at least rumors of (if not actual) releases usually follow throughout the following month

ed: 205 Live needing stars is why they're keeping around, they think it can be salvaged, and think it can be salvaged with Lio Rush, James Ellsworth, and Enzo Amore

How is moving to 205 Live seen as a good thing? If you have to move there for "star power" it's like a god damn demotion. Imagine being Metalik or Swann and walking out to see Ellsworth waiting for you

How is moving to 205 Live seen as a good thing? If you have to move there for "star power" it's like a god damn demotion. Imagine being Metalik or Swann and walking out to see Ellsworth waiting for you

Can only speak for Lio, who's said at indy events recently that he wants to be there for money (205 Live is main roster, so he'll be paid main roster money, not NXTbucks)

His temper could be an issue in terms of how long he lasts (he's no Low-Ki, but close), but in terms of people who are going there, Lio doesn't consider it a demotion and specifically wants to be there

Can only speak for Lio, who's said at indy events recently that he wants to be there for money (205 Live is main roster, so he'll be paid main roster money, not NXTbucks)

His temper could be an issue in terms of how long he lasts (he's no Low-Ki, but close), but in terms of people who are going there, Lio doesn't consider it a demotion and specifically wants to be there

Sorry I meant for moving Ellsworth or Enzo down there with the idea of "star power". Didn't Sasha show up one week and it did nothing?

Just stop making it another brand ffs

GunBR

I think the AJ vs Owens thing was just a dumb finish in a event full of dumb finishes and nothing more

They just tried to project AJ making Owens winning with some fuckery instead of a clean win

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I have no problem with AJ slumming it.

He *killed* it through all of 2016 and his reward was to be fed to Cena and become a midcarder.

Fuck this company, he can get paid and take it easy.

Top Bottom