• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

WCW
Sting vs Hogan
Bret runs in

Not aware of this one, will have to check it out.

assuming you mean botched ending in general and not just ref fuckups
4721c4bef5804bc6b46a4c5f32183e88_crop_north.jpg

Yeah, I mean ref fuckups or forgot to kick out type fuckups that just result in general confusion.

That's the Brock match with the shooting star press botch, yeah? Yikes.

I have no problem with AJ slumming it.

He *killed* it through all of 2016 and his reward was to be fed to Cena and become a midcarder.

Fuck this company, he can get paid and take it easy.

The whole organization has been downhill since AJ gifted the title back to Cena. It was miraculous that AJ got the opportunities he did tbh.

WWE returns to Detroit for the final event ever at the Joe Louis Arena!

Confirmed card so far for the house show (card subject to change, yaddayadda):

Appearances from Nakamura, Dolph, Charlotte, Naomi, Becky
New Day/Breezango/Usos for tag titles
Styles/Zayn/Owens for US title
Cena/Rusev
Orton/Jinder for WWE title
Brock/Corbin for Universal title

Not aware of this one, will have to check it out.

From the Starrcade wiki

Hogan sent Sting out of the ring, and attacked him with the ringpost and guard rail. Hogan performed a big boot, and pinned Sting after a leg drop. However, Bret Hart claimed Patrick counted the pinfall fast, and restarted the match with himself as the referee. Sting performed a Stinger splash, and applied the Scorpion Deathlock. Hart called for the bell (referencing the Montreal Screwjob) and Sting won the championship.

The outcome of the main event at Starrcade did not occur as planned, with the referee not making the pinfall count fast enough as scripted. To address this, the following WCW programming surrounded the controversy. Replays of the count were shown, and the WCW World Heavyweight Championship was vacated.

Confirmed card so far for the house show (card subject to change, yaddayadda):

Appearances from Nakamura, Dolph, Charlotte, Naomi, Becky
New Day/Breezango/Usos for tag titles
Styles/Zayn/Owens for US title
Cena/Rusev
Orton/Jinder for WWE title
Brock/Corbin for Universal title

Brock vs Corbin

what

Hex

Banned
So should I even watch this Punjabi Prison match?

There is literally not one thing at that event that was not a shit show other than a three minute Breezango angle.
Wait...the tag match was ok, but will now lead to weeks of rematches.

GunBR

I have no problem with AJ slumming it.

He *killed* it through all of 2016 and his reward was to be fed to Cena and become a midcarder.

Fuck this company, he can get paid and take it easy.
If they took the title from AJ to make a Cena vs Orton (lol) at Mania it would be understandable
But nope, Cena lost the title just 2 weeks later in a B pay per view in a multiman match. He only won at Rumble because he needed his win back
It was so dumb

Spuck-uk

Banned
So WTF is up with MSG? WWE is too poor to hold live televised events there now?

edit: I see.edit edit: some stuff I saw

Unions. It costs too much to do a TV broadcast. PPV is included. They still run house shows there. But Raw and PPVs wind up being much cheaper and just as easy to run at Barclays

To elaborate for people saying "Huh? Why Unions?" If you televise (or even film) an event at MSG, you are forced to hire a certain number of workers at a certain pay rate. If you want to show moving images on a screen, you can't just bring in your own team, you have to hire their AV team for a ridiculous amount. You have to pay their lighting/camera/sound people (even if you don't use them). Anytime you see a concert from MSG, it's a vanity project where the artist (at best) barely broke even

I mean, good. Most people get underpaid as fuck.

jmdajr

I mean, good. Most people get underpaid as fuck.

Yeah, at the same time only the Madonna's and Elton John's of the world can even play there now.

But hey, WWE has other options so it's totally fine. You can still go see them in the area.

edit: this was the last PPV event there

220px-Survivor-series-2011-rock-cena.jpg

I had tickets for it but couldn't go.

Jim Ross on the matter:

"We've done TV shoots like Raw in the Garden, sell the Garden out, and lose money on the gate. Of course, you've got to pay the talent. So, the issue there is that in theory, WWE could run the Garden for TV, and the cost of the TV would far exceed the cost of the gate. We did million dollar shows there several times there - that are Raws - but you lose money more likely than not. If you're lucky, you might break

Hasney

There's no real reason to do MSG other than history. Even without the TV costs,the Barclay's centre is apparently a fraction of the cost with only 5k odd less seats.

jmdajr

There's no real reason to do MSG other than history. Even without the TV costs,the Barclay's centre is apparently a fraction of the cost with only 5k odd less seats.

Probably a better venue too. It's newer. I mean really. It's be stupid for WWE not to go this route. Why throw money away these next 5 remaining years.

Syder

What is the most famously botched ending?

Not counting Montreal Screw Job. I mean like, when a three count happens by accident.
Owen Hart paralyzing SCSA when Austin was meant to go over at SummerSlam 97. Austin still won the match but the broken neck completely killed the finish.

Owen Hart paralyzing SCSA when Austin was meant to go over at SummerSlam 97. Austin still won the match but the broken neck completely killed the finish.

That was horrific, if that happened today, there's no way in hell the wrestler would ever be allowed to wrestle in the wwf again. And nor should they.

I'm surprised they haven't announced a U.K. Title match for Takeover Brooklyn given how the one in Chicago went over. Maybe they are waiting until after Dunne's defense in ICW this weekend. Hoping for another Dunne/Bate match.

Top Bottom