• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Syder

Okada/Cody deserves at least nine starz.
gedo.gif

For me, Cody/Okada was 3.5 at best. Everyone has their preferences though and Meltzer usually says he just gives it a rating depending on how it makes him feel at the time. Nothing to get worked up about.

Tall4Life

It's one dude's ratings for a fake sport good lord what does it matter how close it is to another match

do y'all want "I give this a low to a medium 4.5 stars" instead now?

What in the world is this?

Nothing you're right

All matches are basically the same when you consider it. So I shouldn't be upset I mean Okada, Jinder, Hornswoggle, Omega... They're all just not that different from each other.

Nak vs Roode was better than Okada vs Cody though

I mean it's not like I'm mad at him or something I just thing giving it 4.5 is absurd.

And Meltzer can say his ratings don't mean anything to him but he's basically the Roger Ebert of wrestling.

Heroman

Banned
Nothing you're right

All matches are basically the same when you consider it. So I shouldn't be upset I mean Okada, Jinder, Hornswoggle, Omega... They're all just not that different from each other.

Nak vs Roode was better than Okada vs Cody though
Using math or whatever that was to compare matches what is this a review thread?

DMczaf

No Mercy the GOAT, but as the first 3D wrestling game I ever played this game blew me away when I first played it. To go from RAW and Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game to this was just mind blowing.

I would book my territory through that game

And script my matches

Syder

For me, Cody/Okada was 3.5 at best. Everyone has their preferences though and Meltzer usually says he just gives it a rating depending on how it makes him feel at the time. Nothing to get worked up about.
I hate that I was right about Okada/Cody being 4+ stars. I think 3.5 is a fair rating based on New Japan and Okada's standards but I was expecting 4 stars from Meltzer because of his bias.

First half of the match was 2 star, second half was worthy of 4 stars.

I hate that I was right about Okada/Cody being 4+ stars. I think 3.5 is a fair rating based on New Japan and Okada's standards but I was expecting 4 stars from Meltzer because of his bias.

First half of the match was 2 star, second half was worthy of 4 stars.

Yeah I completely agree. I was going to say in my initial post, it was really only the last 1/2 of the match that was actually good and you could see Okada basically willing it to be good.

Man
This is such a Heroman post.
4.5 stars.

Hahaha

Foggy

I mean it's not like I'm mad at him or something I just thing giving it 4.5 is absurd.

And Meltzer can say his ratings don't mean anything to him but he's basically the Roger Ebert of wrestling.

He might be seen as such but he doesn't owe people a greater standard of criticism. He's never positioned himself as a critic, he's just doing this because he's always done it. He'd probably drop them alltogether if not for an inevitable backlash. Star ratings and grades and numbered ratings were a terrible terrible mistake.

Meltzer's piece about his father's death is a must read.

He is a fantastic writer.

Agreed 100000000000 percent

That bit about the Bucks was particularly great, that tribute really meant a lot to him and the family when they really needed a reason to smile

I saw four fluorescent light tubes on the street today.

I was tempted to pick them up and smash them on something.

Nick Gage and light tubes though?

tumblr_oj65kb9Qgw1tx8dnyo1_400.gif

Hope he doesn't die.

The Ummah

Banned
Sounds good so far 2K...can't fall for the hype yet. I need some screens and gameplay, shawty. Don't boast these new features and don't show us shit until September. I hope they don't...

He might be seen as such but he doesn't owe people a greater standard of criticism. He's never positioned himself as a critic, he's just doing this because he's always done it. He'd probably drop them alltogether if not for an inevitable backlash. Star ratings and grades and numbered ratings were a terrible terrible mistake.

That's why I talk about him here and don't go bug him on Twitter or something :p

And bullshit he doesn't present himself as a critic, he runs review podcasts of every PPV, Raw and Smackdown and major NJPW event

Toki767

That's why I talk about him here and don't go bug him on Twitter or something :p

And bullshit he doesn't present himself as a critic, he runs review podcasts of every PPV, Raw and Smackdown and major NJPW event

It's not his fault people want to hear what he thinks of them.

Plus he probably enjoys talking about what he watches.

Anth0ny

That was already the plan. They are just moving faster on it. The new info is that they want to do a US Tour by March or April.

Meltzer is saying they are talking about doing NOLA for WM weekend.

Jesus fuck, friends.

Reality is following the #5years timeline to a T.

Also, Meltzer pls. The okada bias is real ;_;

Foggy

There's a crucial, but subtle difference between giving an opinion and presenting yourself as a critic. I talk about action movies on a weekly basis, but I would never present myself as a critic, just someone relating my experience to other people. I can guarantee he would scoff at the idea that he sees himself as some gateway to taste in wrestling. It's not on him that this fake sport has had such a dearth of quality critics.

It's not his fault people want to hear what he thinks of them.

Plus he probably enjoys talking about what he watches.

I'm sure he does.

He's still a critic. A critic is not a bad thing

There's a crucial, but subtle difference between giving an opinion and presenting yourself as a critic. I talk about action movies on a weekly basis, but I would never present myself as a critic, just someone relating my experience to other people. I can guarantee he would scoff at the idea that he sees himself as some gateway to taste in wrestling. It's not on him that this fake sport has had such a dearth of quality critics.

He literally reviews and gives ratings...

He's a critic... and again that's not a bad thing.

He's also a journalist

SomewhatGroovy

You don't know who I am, but I know where you live, and if you teach that sex-ed class so help me I will make you tap at GWF6: Great Bans of Fire Pay Per View Digital Streaming Event

When you see Cody/Okada got 4.5 stars and immediately rush to Wrasslegaf

giphy.gif

(Kenny/Ishii deserved 5 stars tho)

Cody/Okada was as good as Bate/Dunne at NXT according to Da Meltz. I disagree, but it's his ratings, and I don't give him any money so more power to him.

Top Bottom