• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Imagine what it would be like to watch real sports.
What are you trying to say, pal?
when wrasslegaf has to accept the reality that either cody is good or dave overrates every okada singles match
giphy.gif
A-are we on the same side?

I wish more people/sites used stars to rate, so we could have a Metacritic like system where idiots like us compare match reviews. And you know wrestling writing is carny like the fucking business so you have RomanRulz69 giving every Roman match 5 stars, and of course he gets counted, because he's the head writer of Bleacher Report or some site that gets a billion clicks.

For real though...

when wrasslegaf has to accept the reality that either cody is good or dave overrates every okada singles match
giphy.gif

This is pretty funny.

Foggy

I'm sure he does.

He's still a critic. A critic is not a bad thing

He literally reviews and gives ratings...

He's a critic... and again that's not a bad thing.

He's also a journalist

It's not about being a bad thing or a good thing, it's about holding him accountable to something he doesn't hold himself accountable for. Your beef was the relative discrepancies in his evaluations and the inconsistencies, but he's never defended his structure for applying any sort of critical appraisal. Every time I've heard someone address him about any scores he's had or ask him about what makes a 5 star match, he deflects and he deflects because he really doesn't care. It's a numerical application of a nebulous gut response, including the notorious chasm between a 4.75 and 5 star match. Any sort of response to his ratings will always say more about us than it does about him.

And it's not like I'm some frothing defender of the crest Meltzer, I just strongly believe it'd do EVERYONE a lot better to not get wrapped up in grades/stars/scores. Just see how his someone's perspective compares with yours and discuss the difference. The actual content of the perspective, not the number. Otherwise you're subjectively evaluating someone on the basis of their subjective evaluation when you have precious little understanding of what informs the subjective evaluation. It's vapid self-edification.

Across the board, people need to stop using some dude's rating as a cudgel against the WWKiddie marks and conversely people need stop treating it like it's some chink in his critical armor. You certainly wouldn't enjoy it if somebody dismissed your response to an Alexa Bliss match because of some perceived "bias", in the same vein people are pointing to his Okada bias like it's some black mark.

It's not about being a bad thing or a good thing, it's about holding him accountable to something he doesn't hold himself accountable for. Your beef was the relative discrepancies in his evaluations and the inconsistencies, but he's never defended his structure for applying any sort of critical appraisal. Every time I've heard someone address him about any scores he's had or ask him about what makes a 5 star match, he deflects and he deflects because he really doesn't care. It's a numerical application of a nebulous gut response, including the notorious chasm between a 4.75 and 5 star match. Any sort of response to his ratings will always say more about us than it does about him.

And it's not like I'm some frothing defender of the crest Meltzer, I just strongly believe it'd do EVERYONE a lot better to not get wrapped up in grades/stars/scores. Just see how his someone's perspective compares with yours and discuss the difference. The actual content of the perspective, not the number. Otherwise you're subjectively evaluating someone on the basis of their subjective evaluation when you have precious little understanding of what informs the subjective evaluation. It's vapid self-edification.

Across the board, people need to stop using some dude's rating as a cudgel against the WWKiddie marks and conversely people need stop treating it like it's some chink in his critical armor. You certainly wouldn't enjoy it if somebody dismissed your response to an Alexa Bliss match because of some perceived "bias", in the same vein people are pointing to his Okada bias like it's some black mark.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
and I got another hot take while i'm in here after watching this latest episode of Saturday Night

Windham > Blanchard

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
early 90s wcw is the pinnacle of tag team wrestling. even hayes isn't horrible
tumblr_oa6bvkvmBo1sj4xr4o1_400.gif

jimmy jam is the hbk of the team though

giphy.gif

Or you could believe that Okada could have a **** match with a toaster, and that cody is slightly better then a toaster. Also I'm fairly sure the atmosphere derived by the crowds visceral hatred of cody not because of his promos but simply his lack of skiill was worth ½ a star on it's own, so maybe cody is equal to a toaster

The third way

Hex

Banned
OK WG crew....

Who is your greatest of all time.
You get one pick and one honorable mention.
Preferably someone who is not current or not in your top 5 unless that is the case.

Mine

GOAT
tumblr_opphdeF8Uz1u2ragso1_500.gif

Honorable mention:

tumblr_nsjbe0HPy61rtja03o2_250.gif

Foffy

Banned
tumblr_oshf6h63PG1u2ragso1_500.gif

Honorable mention
HU77S5.gif

I'm this but backwards.

Kenta Kobashi was always my go to guy in the Fire Pro and King of Colosseum games. Usually I try and go with current rosters, but I think I'll download some legends to play as online in Fire Pro World, at the very least.

Yeah but he's like still a critic. He analyzes, and scores and reviews wrestling.

Like that's what he does...
He literally charges money for first access to his ratings.
Kenny Omega has literally used 6* in promos.

He's a critic and a pretty good one.

He's just wrong here and I will never eeeeever forgive him. Ever.

Ever.

A 4.75 is the same as 4.5?

Well they all contain the same material...

there's a 5 in both, 2+2= 4 so there's a structure of 2

So if we take a 2 added it to the 5 we get 7 now use the 5 and we get 75

The 4s are the same so really in an esoteric sense deep down 4.75 is really no different than 4.5

All the same really, they're both numerical values they just got to where they are a bit differently.

Foggy

Yeah but he's like still a critic. He analyzes, and scores and reviews wrestling.

Like that's what he does...
He literally charges money for first access to his ratings.
Kenny Omega has literally used 6* in promos.

He's a critic and a pretty good one.

He's just wrong here and I will never eeeeever forgive him. Ever.

Ever.

Oh my god. Ok he's a critic. Jesus christ...

Heroman

Banned
Well they all contain the same material...

there's a 5 in both, 2+2= 4 so there's a structure of 2

So if we take a 2 added it to the 5 we get 7 now ruse the 5 and we get 75

The 4s are the same so really in an esoteric sense deep down 4.75 is really no different than 4.5

All the same really, they're both numerical values they just go to where they are a bit differently.
This is the excelsiorlef math I come to love!!!!

Oh my god. Ok he's a critic. Jesus christ...

Thank you.

You're still not going to convince me to forgive him for this egregious sin though.

He made the list.

As far as I'm concerned Bryan Alvarez is the New Face of Wrestling Observer

Because he's 5 feet and 7 inches tall

And you can't teach that.

This is the excelsiorlef math I come to love!!!!

There's a 124% chance I'm a genius.

But only because on Fridays I'm 12/6th of brilliance and that carries over every week via interest

OK WG crew....

Who is your greatest of all time.
You get one pick and one honorable mention.
Preferably someone who is not current or not in your top 5 unless that is the case.

Mine

GOAT
Some jabronie

Honorable mention:
Some other jabronie
GOAT
bIj9zK.gif

Honorable mention
tumblr_osjm6dFB2T1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

Come on, people, do not get worked by a rating, that is as bad as getting mad because some site gave a video game you like a low score.

Anyway, this year been really good for matches, plenty of great material, my top five MotYC at the moment:

1. Shibata vs Okada at Sakura Genesis
2. Omega vs Ishii at night 2 of G1 US special
3. Bate vs Dunne at NXT Takeover Chicago
4. Shibata vs Goto at WK
5. Riddle vs Walter at PROGRESS Chapter 46

Top Bottom