• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin |OT| The Game, The Kane, The Pain, and The Insane (AJ)

Where in the World is Archibald Peck? - 07/13/12 edition;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFGpWe-xnXA

Damn, Archie must surely have set a record for speed walking - he's been from Philly, to NYC, to Stamford, to Ontario, back through Philly, and now in Washington, which is like 2,500 miles in just over 5 weeks, lol.

Also, anyone remember the Lethal Wrestling Alliance showcase match from King of Trios 2009? Well, it was generally regarded as one of the worst CHIKARA matches of all time, but now Gary the Barn Owl & co. plan to return and exact revenge upon the CHIKARA fanbase who booed them so;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bgxXLa2Pr8

SquashMatch said:
The point of this story is Michael Cole sucks and detracts from the product significantly.

This.

SquashMatch said:
I am also for Wrestlers having multiple finishers. They should model taker who has Hell's Gate, Last Ride and the tombstone. It gives you many more options to create an exciting finish.

And also, this. Top guys should have 1 finisher no one ever kicks out of, and a bunch of others that can, and often do, end matches. But, of course the WWE is obsessed with everyone having a recognisable move-set, so if CM Punk's finisher is the GTS, then every match he wins is going to end with a GTS.

tm24

Why hasn't WWE signed Sami Callihan yet? He's got the whole package.....the only issue is he would have to tone everything he does down about 90% in the big time, but I don't think he would loose any of his appeal if he does.

The interest is there at least.It will happen soon enough

Cagey

Banned
It's not that he uses his finisher to finish matches. No one has said that. Endless false finishes like the Undertaker/HHH WM match or most ROH main events are not the way to go, obviously. Finishers should finish matches most of the time.

It's that there has been no variation whatever, every match is great, then the last minute is the exact same as every previous match, Brogue Kick Outta Nowhere, clean pin. He beat Dolph with that 5 times in a month. That's just ridiculous.

It's the same complaint levelled at Orton last summer. His matches were awesome, but every single one of them ended with a predictable RKOutta Nowhere.

No matter who it is, Sheamus wins in the same way, and when you know that the same ending is inevitably coming, you lose a lot of the excitement of the otherwise good match. CM Punk wins most of his matches as WWE Champion, but there's variation in how it happens, you don't know there's gonna be a GTS Outta Nowhere, etc.

That makes no sense.

If finishers should finish most matches, what sort of creativity are you expecting to the very last move on a week-to-week basis?

Sheamus is going to kick someone in the face. Fin. Whether he stands in a corner sizing someone up, or blindsides the opponent, it's going to be the same move.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Bootaaay you should just hate those people that do that, instead of the show. That'd be like hating Kane just because Soulplaya posts fan art of him(wait a minute...) Just so we are clear, no one here brought it up except for Soulplaya asking what GOB was! I agree the people on this forum especially just go crazy over it, but I guess it never bothered me because I watched it before I read any of that stuff.

Plus we all watch the greatest comedy on TV every Monday.
What fan art? I don't even know what you're talking about!

Let it be known: Keyser is my new favorite WrassleGaffer. We both love AD and, presumably, potatoes. SoulPlaya is dead to me.

For further developments please call 1-800-WCW-NEWS.
Look, I don't care about the show or its fans. I just don't watch much TV. I love News Radio, and that's good enough.

Ithil

That makes no sense.

If finishers should finish most matches, what sort of creativity are you expecting to the very last move on a week-to-week basis?

Sheamus is going to kick someone in the face. Fin. Whether he stands in a corner sizing someone up, or blindsides the opponent, it's going to be the same move.

Not the finisher, the finish. Perhaps it's just the booking that's bothering me. He's steamrolling anyone he faces, with no real programs to go with them.

What's more, he does in fact have more than one finisher. He hasn't used the High Cross in ages now.

I think I'm just burned out on bland, invincible heroes after so much Cena.

Not the finisher, the finish. Perhaps it's just the booking that's bothering me. He's steamrolling anyone he faces, with no real programs to go with them.

What's more, he does in fact have more than one finisher. He hasn't used the High Cross in ages now.

Nor has he used Pale Justice or Celtic Cross ....oh wait those are the High Cross, I just get confused because of the inconsistent Sheamus move naming.
On top of that Irish Curse is the backbreaker and White Noise is the actual Celtic Cross Finlay used? ARRGH!

Everything about Sheamus disgusts me, not in the "gross" sense, but in the way his character is just insufferable. He's an Irish Cena with much worse mic skills, a terrible accent that can be difficult to understand, a dreadful 1980s WWF wrestling gimmick for the kids, he's just...UGH. Anyone who genuinely likes his character (again, his 'character' not the dude himself) is either under the age of 12 or a man-child. He puts on some good matches but his moveset is boring and 5MOD-ish, his screaming and yelling over and over in the same exact way every single match is brutal. He's literally a wrestler made for kids.

Razorskin

----- ------
Everything about Sheamus disgusts me, not in the "gross" sense, but in the way his character is just insufferable. He's an Irish Cena with much worse mic skills, a terrible accent that can be difficult to understand, a dreadful 1980s WWF wrestling gimmick for the kids, he's just...UGH. Anyone who genuinely likes his character (again, his 'character' not the dude himself) is either under the age of 12 or a man-child. He puts on some good matches but his moveset is boring and 5MOD-ish, his screaming and yelling over and over in the same exact way every single match is brutal. He's literally a wrestler made for kids.

*starts hitting chest*
BROGUE
BROGUE
BROGUE

I agree.

Chopper

brogue/brōg/
Noun:
A strong outdoor shoe with ornamental perforated patterns in the leather.
A marked accent, esp. Irish or Scottish, when speaking English.

I don't get it. Why would he chant it?

Chopper

Why would you chant spear?
Because it's an aggressive word that accurately describes what is about to happen. It's also the name of the move in it's entirety.

Brogue is a type of shoe that is not being worn, or an accent that has no effect on the move itself. It's just weird.

But yeah, it was stupid when Edge started chanting spear.

I don't mind Sheamus. He's a champion who loves to fight and doesn't back down these days.

Gets kind of annoying when matches are announced and the wrestlers look reluctant to fight. Fuck sake.

SHarris78

I really hope Damien Sandow wins the MOTB match. I know he's not been around very long but they could put him in some bigger fueds and he could cash it in 6 months down the line.

Maybe it's just me, but i think he's got everything to become a top heel. He's a good wrestler, good/very comfortable on the mike, simple but effective bad guy gimmick that everyone can relate to. Most importantly though he's 100% 'into' his character. What he says he says as if he truly believes it.

Maybe the fact i'm a late 80's/early 90's wrestling fan, and his gimmick stinks of that era is why i think the above, but i'm hoping for a big push.

I really hope Damien Sandow wins the MOTB match. I know he's not been around very long but they could put him in some bigger fueds and he could cash it in 6 months down the line.

Maybe it's just me, but i think he's got everything to become a top heel. He's a good wrestler, good/very comfortable on the mike, simple but effective bad guy gimmick that everyone can relate to. Most importantly though he's 100% 'into' his character. What he says he says as if he truly believes it.

Maybe the fact i'm a late 80's/early 90's wrestling fan, and his gimmick stinks of that era is why i think the above, but i'm hoping for a big push.

Sandow's gimmick does nothing for me. It's the cliched super intelligent, well-spoken, verbose, "I'm smarter than you plebs, watch me use big words" heel gimmick we've seen before... been there done that.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

I like the way you think. You're a good man. Post more often, and welcome to WrassleGAF!

Ithil

Sandow's gimmick does nothing for me. It's the cliched super intelligent, well-spoken, verbose, "I'm smarter than you plebs, watch me use big words" heel gimmick we've seen before... been there done that.

As opposed to what, the cowardly cocky heel again? Who was the last of these super intelligent verbose heels in the WWE? I don't recall there being swarms of them.

We're overflowing with bland cocky heels, but you don't complain about that?

It's a lot more than the gimmick on paper. Miz and Ziggler have more or less the exact same gimmick, and it's not a very original or unusual heel gimmick, but Ziggler's playing of it is highly entertaining, whereas Miz puts me to sleep. Sandow is full of personality to me, he's fun to listen to and watch and he leaves me eager to see him again. That's rare in the current WWE roster.

Kaladin

Guys.......

409693_10150960385261443_577032060_n.jpg

SHarris78

Each to his own. I agree it's cliched and has been done many times before, but i believe he could carry it out very well. Not as if we haven't got other 'been done before' characters around at the moment, heck...IS there any new character that could be created? If done correctly with the right wrestler, 'been done before' is not always a bad thing (though I admit Gillberg WAS a bad idea!)

I like the way you think. You're a good man. Post more often, and welcome to WrassleGAF!

I thank you kind sir, i shall endeavour to grace this forum with my eloquent musings (arghh, i've turned into Sandow!)

Brinbe

I don't know if I'd prefer him winning over the likes of Ziggs/Cody, but I do like him and think he has potential if pushed into the right feuds over the next year (ha, this won't happen) *handshake*

Contrarian gotta be contrary... Heavy's gimmick does nothing for me.
Guys.......

409693_10150960385261443_577032060_n.jpg
The stuff of nightmares.

I wasn't, but he was really over with the crowd.

I think you people are both thinking of 2 years ago when he was getting his main event push and then saved us from the reign of Orton, last year Miz stumbled down the card never to return after being Cena'd with constant promos about once being the most must see WWE champion and main eventing WM27 which considering the match quality is hardly anything to trumpet.
Oh and of course his brief stint as Ice Cold Mike the Miz Mizanin which as you may have noticed I'll never let slide because it was just so hilariously bad.

Sokantish

Or do you guys mean when he was with R-Truth? I liked Truth but Miz is a nerd

That Sheamus/Jericho match was pretty good. I wish all the other matches on Smackdown weren't so short. I think the only other one that was decent length was Del Rio vs Sin Cara.

Miz and Truth were the most dangerous threat to WWE, so much so the divas feared that "something" could happen to them, HHH suffered a one week long mass employee exodus and Cena dragged in his mortal enemy THE ROCK *spews spittle* to do battle with them.

Aiii

So not worth it

Very much agreed, I think that he's the only one outside of Rhodes and Ziggler that has a chance of winning. At any rate I'd love to see hj win it, but even if he doesn't I'm sure he'll get a main event push soon enough. He is as you say, great on the mic and natural in his gimmick, he could be top heel soon enough.

Striker

He's literally a wrestler made for kids.
You just described Cena, and aren't you a big fan of his?

Sheamus is an extremely watered down character right now. He at least was mildly entertaining as a midcard heel; that's where he should have stayed a while. Instead, he got that insta-push after beating up Jamie Noble, had a small program as the WWE Champion against Cena and was made to look like a fool, and then moved on against Triple H where he lost at Mania. Great booking. He was, yet again, champion while Nexus were facing Cena in that horrible feud. That didn't last long as he lost it to Randy at a PPv. I still remember him jobbing to John Morrison out of all people in two straight PPV's during the final months of 2010. Remember that King gimmick he had? That ended nice.

All in all, he's been booked terribly, which you can say for everybody else not named Cena or Orton.

you guys were all cheering Miz last year.
Only the ones enthralled by his "really? really?" mic skills. He was never that good. People wanted a new fresh character in the main event scene. They went through Orton-HHH-Cena for about 2-3 years non stop. It was tiresome, to say the least.

As opposed to what, the cowardly cocky heel again? Who was the last of these super intelligent verbose heels in the WWE? I don't recall there being swarms of them.

We're overflowing with bland cocky heels, but you don't complain about that?

It's a lot more than the gimmick on paper. Miz and Ziggler have more or less the exact same gimmick, and it's not a very original or unusual heel gimmick, but Ziggler's playing of it is highly entertaining, whereas Miz puts me to sleep. Sandow is full of personality to me, he's fun to listen to and watch and he leaves me eager to see him again. That's rare in the current WWE roster.

You make a good point about the cocky heel overflow. I'll ask you this tho, when listening to Sandow's promos and mic work don't you feel like it's too forced? Like he's just reciting lines he meticulously memorized beforehand? It doesn't come off natural, it feels forced and manufactured. That's the problem I have with him.

Contrarian gotta be contrary... Heavy's gimmick does nothing for me.
Not marking out to Damien fucking Sandow means you're a contrarian gimmick, jesus christ at this thread. I can't get a word in without this type of comment.

You just described Cena, and aren't you a big fan of his?
Certainly not. I've praised some of his promos and some of the things he does but I'm not a fan of him like I am of D-Bry, Mark Henry, Ziggler, etc. Because I don't rip on the guy for everything he does, which seems to be the cool thing to do in this thread, and occasionally dish out some praise doesn't mean I'm some big fan of the guy.

bart jr

Neo Member
Very much agreed, I think that he's the only one outside of Rhodes and Ziggler that has a chance of winning. At any rate I'd love to see hj win it, but even if he doesn't I'm sure he'll get a main event push soon enough. He is as you say, great on the mic and natural in his gimmick, he could be top heel soon enough.

Count me in on the Sandow love, as well.

On a different note, ya know what would be great? If the Prime Time Players were facing R-Truth and Kofi for the tag titles on Sunday. Ya know, being the number one contenders and all...

What fan art? I don't even know what you're talking about!

Look, I don't care about the show or its fans. I just don't watch much TV. I love News Radio, and that's good enough.

but I said you were dead! Either come back riding a motorcycle loving yourself some Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit or else!

Has Smackdown been decent lately? I haven't been able to watch much because of work but they're coming here to Austin on the 14th and I kind of want to go.

Top Bottom