• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin |OT| The Game, The Kane, The Pain, and The Insane (AJ)

Alucard

Banned
Uh, originality in wrestling is very hard to come by. Anyone complaining that "I've seen this before" about one guy hasn't watched enough to realize that almost everything has been done before in this sport.

Brinbe

I hope Rhodes gets "disfigured" again so he can go back to Undashing, Im not a fan of his current gimmick.
Yeah, no doubt. Cody's definitely been muddling along since his Big Show program ended. He's stuck between being 'too good' for the IC title and not being elevated to the next level. You'd think that winning MITB is the obvious thing to give his character new life, but we'll see. Right now it's just a matter of waiting for him and Ziggler to get that next push.

Sokantish

Certainly not. I've praised some of his promos and some of the things he does but I'm not a fan of him like I am of D-Bry, Mark Henry, Ziggler, etc. Because I don't rip on the guy for everything he does, which seems to be the cool thing to do in this thread, and occasionally dish out some praise doesn't mean I'm some big fan of the guy.

Come on Heavy, we all know why you really hate Sheamus. It's because of that disgusting butt of his! And you know what, I agree with you!

Samara

So I've just started watching WWE after like a year or so ( I think a week before the CM Punk match from last summer)

But uhhh, what's with Kane's hair/getup?
Cody Rhode's face is OK?
And that chick AJ, uh that's quite a crazy storyline. seems really dumb

Sokantish

Kane embraced the hate, Cody Rhodes healed 100%, and AJ is crazy. CM Punk digs crazy chicks, Daniel Bryan digs championship belts even though he hardly gets anytime with them

You make a good point about the cocky heel overflow. I'll ask you this tho, when listening to Sandow's promos and mic work don't you feel like it's too forced? Like he's just reciting lines he meticulously memorized beforehand? It doesn't come off natural, it feels forced and manufactured. That's the problem I have with him.

There have been quite a few "genius" gimmicks, the thing that sets Sandow apart is that he actually understands what his character is saying and knows how to deliver the lines he's given. All too often they give that gimmick to a generic meathead who doesn't have the intellectual chops to pull it off.

If you were going to hold anything against Sandow is that he doesn't quite have the wrestling abilities of many of his peers. But they even seem to be handling that fairly well. His mannerisms in-ring are phenomenal and they seem to be hiding his weaknesses.

So I've just started watching WWE after like a year or so ( I think a week before the CM Punk match from last summer)

You quit a week before the CM Punk match last year...?

There have been quite a few "genius" gimmicks, the thing that sets Sandow apart is that he actually understands what his character is saying and knows how to deliver the lines he's given. All too often they give that gimmick to a generic meathead who doesn't have the intellectual chops to pull it off.

If you were going to hold anything against Sandow is that he doesn't quite have the wrestling abilities of many of his peers. But they even seem to be handling that fairly well. His mannerisms in-ring are phenomenal and they seem to be hiding his weaknesses.

You quit a week before the CM Punk match last year...?

Kane was checked into the Hall of Pain around that time so I can understand why someone would stop watching. People want to see one of the WWE's top stars in action.

Alucard

Banned
you cant see him and his time is now*

now = 10 years of Cenation.

He's probably carrying a lot of the financial load for the company right now, though. Looks like his merch sales are off the charts. He's leading the company during a rough time in WWE's history.

Striker

Do belts actually mean anything anymore? How many of them are there now? And do they get passed around really quickly?
Still held by all faces, and Santino's last defense in a feud was so long ago. I can't recall his last feud he's had. He needs a serious character makeover, or at the least drop the title. He isn't going to be less over if he drops it. Better yet cancel the US title and add in the Cruiserweight once the new guys com in this Fall.

Ithil

You make a good point about the cocky heel overflow. I'll ask you this tho, when listening to Sandow's promos and mic work don't you feel like it's too forced? Like he's just reciting lines he meticulously memorized beforehand? It doesn't come off natural, it feels forced and manufactured. That's the problem I have with him.

Not marking out to Damien fucking Sandow means you're a contrarian gimmick, jesus christ at this thread. I can't get a word in without this type of comment.

Certainly not. I've praised some of his promos and some of the things he does but I'm not a fan of him like I am of D-Bry, Mark Henry, Ziggler, etc. Because I don't rip on the guy for everything he does, which seems to be the cool thing to do in this thread, and occasionally dish out some praise doesn't mean I'm some big fan of the guy.

Sandow IS reciting lines, though, but sounding like he rehearsed it is not bad for his snooty character. Otherwise though I don't really feel he sounds any more rehearsed than anyone else. He looks and sounds snobby/clever/indignant, it's not just his script lines that say it. Plenty of guys get a gimmick that doesn't suit them, they just say the words but you don't believe them when they do.

When the Miz is supposed to be "arrogant", "cocky", but only has about four lines and says them like he'd shit his pants if you raised a fist to him, that's a problem. He doesn't sell the gimmick. Ziggler on the only hand, he's supposed to be a cocky, fast talking show-off, and he feels like one, he sells it in the ring with his mannerisms and moves and on the mic. Sandow is the same, he sells the entire character to me.

He's solid in the ring, from what I saw in FCW, too, so I'm not concerned about that.

Ithil

Still held by all faces, and Santino's last defense in a feud was so long ago. I can't recall his last feud he's had. He needs a serious character makeover, or at the least drop the title. He isn't going to be less over if he drops it. Better yet cancel the US title and add in the Cruiserweight once the new guys com in this Fall.

Give Sandow the US title or IC title, and have him unify the two by beating the other champion (with the IC title remaining). People like Cody, Barrett, Ziggler, they're beyond the mid-card titles, they need to get into the main event for good. Sandow is great but still very new to the WWE TV roster, something like this unification and a lengthy reign as mid-card champ could be ideal for getting him well established.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Guys.......

409693_10150960385261443_577032060_n.jpg

Yes my lord and savior what do U need?

NawidA

Banned
Count me in on the Sandow love, as well.

On a different note, ya know what would be great? If the Prime Time Players were facing R-Truth and Kofi for the tag titles on Sunday. Ya know, being the number one contenders and all...
That isn't happenng? The fuck?

Star ratings for all WWE Raw & Smackdown people, by me:

5 stars

AJ
Beth Phoenix
Chris Jericho
CM Punk
Damien Sandow
Daniel Bryan
Dolph Ziggler
Dwayne Johnson
Jack Swagger
Kharma?
Matt Striker
Ricardo Rodriguez
R-Truth
Santino
Sheamus
Vince
Wade Barrett
William Regal
Zack Ryder

4 stars

Alberto Del Rio
Antonio Cesaro
Brodus Clay
Cameron & Naomi
Christian
Cody Rhodes
Drew McIntyre
Heath Slater
Josh Matthews
Justin Gabriel
Kaitlyn
Kane
Kofi Kingston
Mark Henry
The Miz
Scott Stanford
Sin Cara
The Undertaker
Vickie Guerrero
Yoshi Tatsu

3 stars

A.W.
Booker T
Curt Hawkins
Darren Young & Titus O'Neil
David Otunga
Evan Bourne
Eve
Ezekiel Jackson
Hunico
Justin Roberts
Layla
Lillian Garcia
Natalya
The Ryback
Sakamoto
Tamina Snuka
Teddy Long
Tensai
Trent Baretta
Triple H
Tyson Kidd

2 stars

Aksana
Big Show
Camacho
Epico
Jimmy & Jey Uso
John Cena
JTG
Mason Ryan
Michael McGillicutty
Primo
Rey Mysterio
Rosa Mendes
Ted Dibiase
Tony Chimel
Tyler Reks

1 star

Alex Riley
Alicia Fox
The Great Khali
Hornswoggle
Jerry Lawler
Jinder Mahal
Johnny Curtis
Kelly Kelly
Michael Cole
Randy Orton

NawidA

Banned
I'm hoping Cena wins MITB but loses when he cashes in against D Brine because AJ hits him with a chair. Cena can't fight a woman, D Brine wins.

No, it would be like you not watching the matches I post because I keep incessantly telling you how much better they are than whatever matches you watch.

There's no logic to it, I admit it's an entirely irrational reaction - but I watch a lot of shows and a lot of wrestling, I'm not so bereft of current entertainment that I particularly feel the need to go back and watch a decade-old sitcom simply because it's acclaimed, and even less so when some fans act like it's gods gift to comedy. It just puts a bad taste in my mouth. But it's not only Arrested Development, there are other examples; Community and Louie, in recent years, two shows I very much enjoy, but can't stand the hyperbolic way in which some fans try and sell the show to non-viewers. You over-hype anything and, in my experience, it's going to be a disappointment to the person you hyped it to.

Letting the internet have a role in what you watch because of hyperbolic reactions in either direction is a bad, bad idea. AD is a fantastic show, and that praise goes much deeper than the comedy. The writing, wordplay, callbacks, foreshadowing, and background gags are so well done that people still find new stuff on their 3rd rewatch. It's a ridiculously planned show, and every scene, line, and object on screen is there for a reason. As someone who's also a fan of Community, you owe it to yourself to see where the "smart comedy" crown resides.

Uhhhh, wrestling. Cause y'know, wrestling.

Reiko

Banned
Kane embraced the hate, Cody Rhodes healed 100%, and AJ is crazy. CM Punk digs crazy chicks, Daniel Bryan digs championship belts even though he hardly gets anytime with them

Nah. Kane is just being Kane.

He's beyond Heel or Face. He's just Kane.

Letting the internet have a role in what you watch because of hyperbolic reactions in either direction is a bad, bad idea. AD is a fantastic show, and that praise goes much deeper than the comedy. The writing, wordplay, callbacks, foreshadowing, and background gags are so well done that people still find new stuff on their 3rd rewatch. It's a ridiculously planned show, and every scene, line, and object on screen is there for a reason. As someone who's also a fan of Community, you owe it to yourself to see where the "smart comedy" crown resides.

Uhhhh, wrestling. Cause y'know, wrestling.

The discussion was tabled. We've moved on to a new page and now your smark ass is going to make me read about Arrested Development again? You need to accept the fact that you and your kind are comparable to wrestling fans and bronies in the eyes of this forum. Nothing you say will change that.

Bootaaay, let me translate that garbled mess of a post by N_W for you:

Hey, do you like Happy Days? Well guess what? Fonzie is in Arrested Development! Wait, let me finish. Motherfucking Chachi is on the show, too. LET. ME. FUCKING. FINISH. The show? It's narrated by Richie Cunningham. Watch it!

The discussion was tabled. We've moved on to a new page and now your smark ass is going to make me read about Arrested Development again? You need to accept the fact that you and your kind are comparable to wrestling fans and bronies in the eyes of this forum. Nothing you say will change that.

Bootaaay, let me translate that garbled mess of a post by N_W for you:

Your avatar is ironic isn't it? You're like some kind of WrassleGAF hipster.

What a phony. A big fat phony.

Top Bottom