• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin |OT| The Game, The Kane, The Pain, and The Insane (AJ)

RVD would've benefited from the MitB had he not fucked up like 3 weeks later, as such he didn't really benefit in the long term and was slowly jobbed out the company.

Aiii

So not worth it
So did someone post Downstait's cover of Ryder's theme yet?

If not: http://soundcloud.com/downstaitjc/downstait-radio

We'll see if that's still the case by next year. Bryan's definitely hugely over, but I have no doubt that Vince or whoever gets in his ear thinks AJ is the one that's really over with the audience and not Bryan.

They're both over, and they helped eachother get there by elevating eachother in segments. WWE knows this, why else would they put them back together? All is well in this whole thing, stop being so paranoid :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
No way Ryback can keep up with Cena.

More on Reigns...

Cm Punk 240+
Bret Hart 248
JBL 280!
Yokozuna 280
Ultimate Warrior 293
Diesel 358 :( (longest reigning champ of the 90s)
Randy Savage 371
John Cena 380
You are missing tons of reigns here.

All reigns 100 days or greater:
Note: Bob Backlund's reign is sometimes split up into 2 or 3 reigns of 600+ days each because over the course of his reign, the title went through mergers/renames, and was held up at one point, a common gimmick. Fun fact: Backlund also won the tag belts with Pedro Morales in 1980, but they had to vacate them because the rule back then was that no one could hold two championships at the same time

Bruno Sammartino 2803
Bob Backlund 2138
Hulk Hogan 1474
Bruno Sammartino 1237
Pedro Morales 1027
John Cena 380 (Only ended due to cena being sidelined due to injury. I wonder how long they would have gone with this reign? :/ )
Randy Savage 371
Hulk Hogan 364
Diesel 358
Billy Graham 296
The Ultimate Warrior 293
John "Bradshaw" Layfield 280
Yokozuna 280
John Cena 280 (his first title reign, after ending JBL's 280 day reign)
Hulk Hogan 248
Bret Hart 248
CM Punk 240+
Shawn Michaels 231
Triple H 210
Randy Orton 203
Stone Cold Steve Austin 175
Bret Hart 174
The Miz 160
Brock Lesnar 152
Randy Savage 149
Shawn Michaels 140
Bret Hart 133
Eddie Guerrero 133
John Cena 133
The Undertaker 133
Kurt Angle 126
Brock Lesnar 119
The Rock 119
Triple H 118
Kurt Angle 105

Note: Cena's 280 day was his first reign, his 133 day reign was his 2nd reign, and his 380 day reign was his 3rd reign.

His 280 day reign was ended when Edge cashed in MitB to win his first title. Cena won the belt back 21 days later, beginning his 133 day reign.

His 133 day reign ended at One Night Stand 2006, against RVD, thanks to Edge's interference. 22 days later, RVD lost the title to Edge in a triple threat match with John Cena. The next 76 days involved Cena chasing Edge for the title (you know, with Edge doing things like getting intentionally DQed, then, in a match where he'd lose the title if he was DQed, using brass knuckles when hte ref wasn't looking, etc. Typical weasel opportunistic heel stuff, and cena getting a rematch at every PPV, of course). That led to Cena's 380 day reign.

Or in other words, when Cena's quad tear sidelined him, he had spent 793 out of the previous 912 days as champion, and was the #1 contender for the title basically the whole time he didn't have it.

Toki767

They're both over, and they helped eachother get there by elevating eachother in segments. WWE knows this, why else would they put them back together? All is well in this whole thing, stop being so paranoid :)

It's not really paranoia when you have years of examples of them constantly screwing up a good thing.

It's like how they started making AJ do the Yes chant because they wanted it to be a face chant when the crowd chants along instead of the crowd cheering for Bryan.

G-Fex

Kane will interrupt the wedding, kidnap AJ and taker (lol) to Castle Dracula, cue Daniel Bryan getting a whip and traveling on a cursed night.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's not really paranoia when you have years of examples of them constantly screwing up a good thing.

It's like how they started making AJ do the Yes chant because they wanted it to be a face chant when the crowd chants along instead of the crowd cheering for Bryan.

Or, they had her do the yes-chant as a way for her to annoy Bryan and for him to play of.

New team for King Of Trios and this one is a big surprise.

KOT12_10.jpg

Damn CHIKARA got Meng. I really hope I have the funds for this KOT because this is can't miss stuff.

How cool would it have been if the Raw 1000 could have had Hardy's vs Dudleyz vs. Edge and Christian. :(

Who would have thought that after all these years that The Dudleys would be the only one of these three teams still in good health and wrestling well?

Bryan is coming off of 7 months of being involved in a World (WHC or WWE) feud. Any time they've dropped the ball on someone after that huge of a push it has been for the best (Jeff Harvey being the most immediate and obvious example).

And mocking someone else's taunt isn't the same as co-opting it. So I really don't see the point you're trying to make in the second statement here.

Lol! Forgot about him.

It's for the best.

Aiii

So not worth it
So will Swagger and Ryback be something now?

Swagger will be the next member of the FE club.

Ryback will squash some more and then inevitably job to someone like Punk or Cena on PPV and be a mid-card attraction from there on out.

Ultratech

You are missing tons of reigns here.

Bruno Sammartino 2803
Bob Backlund 2138
Hulk Hogan 1474
Bruno Sammartino 1237
Pedro Morales 1027

Or in other words, when Cena's quad tear sidelined him, he had spent 793 out of the previous 912 days as champion, and was the #1 contender for the title basically the whole time he didn't have it.

So out of those 912 days (April 3, 2005 to Oct. 2, 2007 roughly) Cena spent 87% of that time with the Championship. JESUS.

Other fun facts based on those numbers:
-Bruno held the title for a total of over 11 years over 2 reigns.
-Comparatively, Hogan held the title for a total of almost 6 years over 6 reigns.
-Funny enough, Cena's pushing close to a total of 3 years over 10 reigns. (He's about 37 days off 3 years.)

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Kane will interrupt the wedding, kidnap AJ and taker (lol) to Castle Dracula, cue Daniel Bryan getting a whip and traveling on a cursed night.
I don't even understand how they could introduce Kane back into this storyline. He just said he didn't want her anymore! Why come back now? Besides, it should be Ambrose.

sajj316

Unstoppable wrecking machine to overselling to midcarders?

Kozlov 2.0 in 3 ...2 ...1

I agree that he sold a bit too much to Reks/Hawkins and then again to Swagger. However, he is far from Kozlov. Kozlov really never got over as a monster. Ryback is starting to.

Razorskin

----- ------
VFPGr.jpg

Your time is up, my time is now
You can't see me, my time is now
It's the franchise, boy I'm shining now

RBH

God Ryback was awful last night. Anybody who compares him Goldberg is a crazy person.

http://officialfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=WWE&action=display&thread=440493

I agree 100% with this guy though:

This is only my lowly, unimportant opinion, but I don't think he's even close to being in Goldberg's league. Goldberg (to me) was just a bad-ass. The way he carried himself and the development of his character made you feel like he was legit and couldn't be stopped. Like someone else said, he didn't have to scream out his catchphrase every time he went out. As a matter of fact, I loved how for a while he would just kick ass and leave without saying anything.

For me, Ryback is just goofy. He does have devastating moves like that lariat, but everything else surrounding it just makes me roll my eyes. In the future he may develop into a great character, but I'm not seeing it right now.

Entropia

No One Remembers
VFPGr.jpg

Your time is up, my time is now
It's the franchise, boy I'm shining now

:lol

That is so sad.

:(

Atleast Christian is the IC champion, but fuck me they need to be defending the titles more. Not these stupid ass tag matches and such.

krae_man

God Ryback was awful last night. Anybody who compares him Goldberg is a crazy person.

The piped in crowd noise was hilarious. On Sunday night the WWE was so desperate to find a pro Rybeck sign in the crowd that they accidentally zoomed in on a "Feed him smores" sign.

Cagey

Banned

I agree too.

Goldberg had this air of tough guy legitimacy that no one else had. A large, jacked, scary man who you thought was fighting, not wrestling. During The Streak, all of Goldberg's matches felt unfair because his opponent was trying to have a wrestling match, whereas the viewer felt like Goldberg was going to seriously rip his opponent's head off like it was a bar alley fight. The Spear was the perfect move for this end: there's no contortions or extra gyrations or "wrestling" quality to make a move seem powerful; instead, it was this bad ass motherfucker tackling someone like Lawrence Taylor and driving them into the ground (again, real).

Ryback's grounded way too much in slapstick comedy, to his character's detriment. This isn't a face/heel thing. Just too much comedy involved, and not enough gravitas.

Also, that's why I hated when Edge co-opted the Spear.

tm24

Holy crap, just saw the Regal/Ambrose match. It was freaking amazing. That ending was just too great. And then Ambrose screaming at the end "Lets do this again sometime!"

I fear this man is too much money for WWE

Bowser

http://i.imgur.com/tMC66.gif[/IMG

[url]http://wrestlingwithtext.com/my-brief-and-uninsightful-recap/vol-90-wwe-money-in-the-bank-2012-7-15[/url]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Uv9C2.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/74YA7.gif

lololol

Cagey

Banned

Unpopular opinion, but I think Sheamus has been pretty damn good in the past several months.

Other than "Sheamus loses", which is certainly what people want because boo Sheamus etc., I'm not sure what people expect from him regarding unpredictability. Everyone's matches are predictable to some extent.

bangai-o

Banned
I agree too.

Goldberg had this air of tough guy legitimacy that no one else had. A large, jacked, scary man who you thought was fighting, not wrestling. During The Streak, all of Goldberg's matches felt unfair because his opponent was trying to have a wrestling match, whereas the viewer felt like Goldberg was going to seriously rip his opponent's head off like it was a bar alley fight. The Spear was the perfect move for this end: there's no contortions or extra gyrations or "wrestling" quality to make a move seem powerful; instead, it was this bad ass motherfucker tackling someone like Lawrence Taylor and driving them into the ground (again, real).

Ryback's grounded way too much in slapstick comedy, to his character's detriment. This isn't a face/heel thing. Just too much comedy involved, and not enough gravitas.

Also, that's why I hated when Edge co-opted the Spear.
that and Curt Hennig sld the spear to amazingly.

Kyoufu

The way Cena worded his challenge made it sound like Punk would win, or not drop the title just yet:

...we will find out who the Best in the World really is

Punk will always be BITW because that's his money making brand.

Top Bottom