• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin |OT| The Game, The Kane, The Pain, and The Insane (AJ)

I'm on record saying that I'll hate on Cena regardless of what the angle is so that's the bottom line, and that's all I got to say about that.

I'm torn on that. I think that "John Cena" is an interesting concept to build a feud around. The flag bearer of the company who is instantly entitled to the biggest feud and most marketing regardless of everything else that is going on. Is treated by everyone like a giant puppy dog and is vehemently hated by large segments of the audience.

The problem is that the actual John Cena is so terrible at building heat using any of these concepts, so the more he is actually involved in his actual feuds the worse it gets. The only bad thing about Punk's MITB storyline last year was the godawful "Cena is fired if he loses" angle that they tacked on. It turned Cena into a de-facto victim of the system he was supposed to be representing.

My ideal use of Cena would have him appear almost never on televised Raw (but leave him in the dark main event of Raw tapings so the kids get their fix), but let his opponents spit venom at him. Then at a PPV go home show let them confront on screen.

I sort of feel the same way about Punk in some of his recent feuds (Johnny Ace, Del Rio, and Ziggler being the most obvious)

Hey guys remember the last time JR was called to commentate the Punk vs Cena match on RAW?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_vHFT6Hqmg&feature=player_detailpage#t=858s

This pisses me off because it was the first time in forever that Edmonton got Raw and Calgary got Smackdown!, at a time where I actually wanted to see Raw more than SD!

FEED HIM
Smores2.jpg

The problem is that the actual John Cena is so terrible at building heat using any of these concepts, so the more he is actually involved in his actual feuds the worse it gets. The only bad thing about Punk's MITB storyline last year was the godawful "Cena is fired if he loses" angle that they tacked on. It turned Cena into a de-facto victim of the system he was supposed to be representing.

Yup!!

Rock/Cena was a terrible feud.

Cena/Big Show terrible feud.

Cena/Tensai/John Laurinitus (sp) terrible feud.

Cena/Miz terrible feud.

Cena/Del Rio terrible feud.

Cena/Punk 2 was interesting simply because of the "Promo."

Cena/Punk 1 terrible feud.

Cena/Lesnar was good (except for the conclusion, the "smile" and Cena jumping into serious mode a few weeks in).

The guys promos (despite him being a good speaker) or terrible, too tongue in cheek, sarcastic and do a poor job of "selling" the feud. He doesn't sell very well and is a mediocre performer. And the company sticks him down our throats, despite the mature audience's dismay.

We might feel the same about Hogan, but at least he's had some redeeming moments (the turn, Rock/Hogan and TNA as of late with his big brother role).

Kyoufu

lol no

The "fired" element was supposed to keep you wondering who would win the match, because you wouldn't think Cena would get fired. It was bad booking after the MITB match though so whatever. Punk is awesome.

I'm torn on that. I think that "John Cena" is an interesting concept to build a feud around. The flag bearer of the company who is instantly entitled to the biggest feud and most marketing regardless of everything else that is going on. Is treated by everyone like a giant puppy dog and is vehemently hated by large segments of the audience.

My ideal use of Cena would have him appear almost never on televised Raw (but leave him in the dark main event of Raw tapings so the kids get their fix), but let his opponents spit venom at him. Then at a PPV go home show let them confront on screen.

I sort of feel the same way about Punk in some of his recent feuds (Johnny Ace, Del Rio, and Ziggler being the most obvious)

I agree that the CONCEPT is interesting, but it's the execution that counts. In that execution, John Cena will continue to be a corny, one note, smirking doucheface that I've come to hate watching no matter who he's in there with. And though Punk, Show, and Eve may bring up legit issues, as we've seen time and time again, NONE of that will matter in the end when Cena remains triumphant NO MATTER the outcome of the feud. Remember how losing to The Rock was supposed to be a life shattering moment for John Cena? Yeah, exactly.

Win, lose, or draw, Cena faces no consequences. How can I be invested in the angle? Then you have people saying "Well at least the match will be good" and it's like WTF? First you tell me entertainment is half of the show, maybe more important than the actual wrestling, then when the angles all fall flat suddenly the match being good makes up for everything? I don't even know where I'm going now.

I've Cena Nuff.

Sokantish

Do you think Cena does that smirking and carefree stuff because WWE makes him or because that's just Cena now? He is kind of like how Jimmy Fallon was for me in SNL. He would ruin every skit because he couldn't last a minute without screwing up by almost bursting out laughing. but Jimmy Fallon did it because he's an idiot that couldn't help himself, I don't know if that's true for Cena.

lol no

The "fired" element was supposed to keep you wondering who would win the match, because you wouldn't think Cena would get fired. It was bad booking after the MITB match though so whatever. Punk is awesome.

Ugh. That was another terrible fued. Cena vs. Nexus 1. He was fired and came back way to quick and literally "buried" Wade Barett.

Terrible. The conclusion completely destroyed the Heat/excitement from the initial Nexus forming and none of the stars have really taken off until now with

Repackaging Skip Shefield (sp) as Ryback.
David Otuna as the Narcissist/Stooge
Heath Slater as a jober to Vintage Superstars

And we'll see with Barrett once he returns from injury.

Sokantish

KOG don't worry, SoulPlaya is all talk. He wouldn't even defend Kane's honor last week while I trashed him for a few days straight... what a fan this guy is

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I agree that the CONCEPT is interesting, but it's the execution that counts. In that execution, John Cena will continue to be a corny, one note, smirking doucheface that I've come to hate watching no matter who he's in there with. And though Punk, Show, and Eve may bring up legit issues, as we've seen time and time again, NONE of that will matter in the end when Cena remains triumphant NO MATTER the outcome of the feud. Remember how losing to The Rock was supposed to be a life shattering moment for John Cena? Yeah, exactly.

Win, lose, or draw, Cena faces no consequences. How can I be invested in the angle? Then you have people saying "Well at least the match will be good" and it's like WTF? First you tell me entertainment is half of the show, maybe more important than the actual wrestling, then when the angles all fall flat suddenly the match being good makes up for everything? I don't even know where I'm going now.

I've Cena Nuff.
Very well said. Cena's angles have no consequence, and an angle without consequence is meaningless. You might as well have done nothing. As a result, we just won't be interested.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
KOG don't worry, SoulPlaya is all talk. He wouldn't even defend Kane's honor last week while I trashed him for a few days straight... what a fan this guy is
That's only because I'm a man of my word. And besides, your petty words mean nothing to Big Red Sexy!

So let's say CM Punk somehow beats Cena Monday, and then he beats the Rock at whatever PPV. Would people think he's legit then?

It doesn't matter if WE think he's "legit." It doesn't even matter if the jimmies do. It matters if Vince does. And right now, the only thing that matters to Vince is Cena.

I've Cena Nuff.

Which is exactly why I'm torn. I sort of feel like the WWE is my abusive boyfriend. WWE will come home late one night in a drunken rage and star demeaning me with Cena-smirks and balls-in-purses, then beat me until I bruise with Cena overcoming the odds and 18s WHC matches.

But then after I cry myself to sleep the WWE will treat me to a nice day of Byran Danielson/CM Punk extended feud, put a tag title contenders match on a pay-per-view, and serve me dishes of Antonio Cesaro and Tyson Kidd. So I begin to think, "well WWE isn't such a bad guy, look at how sweet he's being right now".

Still, I know that in the back of mind I just know it's a question of "when", not "if" the WWE is finally going to go off the deep end and put me in the hospital... or worse.

Razorskin

----- ------
SMUGGLING BANANA SHORTS, should've been at WM.

Hmm people thought Ziggler's promo was good? I like Ziggler but when he's put ont he spot like that he tends to bumble, the promo was merely okay and that he kept repeating himself, granted Jericho just standing there with cena smug face for the whole thing didn't help.

1342554966946h8pkp.gif

somedevil

Jericho's facials were great for that segement.

Also, I find this interesting last year's money in the bank ending with Punk running off with the title the raw the day after drew a 3.23 rating.

While after this money in the bank did 3.44.

I wonder why that happened because everyone loved the Punk angle? I wonder if the whole AJ story line plays a part in it.

Kyoufu

There is NO WAY Cena is winning on Monday.

Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrzjaewJ6E&feature=player_embedded

Cena admits Punk is the BITW.

Jericho's facials were great for that segement.

Also, I find this interesting last year's money in the bank ending with Punk running off with the title the raw the day after drew a 3.23 rating.

While after this money in the bank did 3.44.

I wonder why that happened because everyone loved the Punk angle? I wonder if the whole AJ story line plays a part in it.

Ratings were down before and during the Punk angle.

There is NO WAY Cena is winning on Monday.

Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrzjaewJ6E&feature=player_embedded

Cena admits Punk is the BITW.

He's winning on Monday. Just like he won against Rey Mysterio. He's just jumping on the Punk hype train. At the time, everyone was into Punk. So it's sort of like someone jumping on a fad.

Okay, I take that back. As much as we can bemoan the Cena character, Cena the man (minus the divorce thing) is an okay dude.

He tried to put over Ryder. He's appeared on the show a few times. And then in the storyline, he tried to get him over. Unfortunately, the ludicrousness of the storyline and WWE not wanting to get behind Ryder killed whatever momentum he had with the people.

Top Bottom