• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Sephzilla

I don't even know why WWE insist on trying to be a 'TV Show' rather than a 'Wrestling Show' when seemingly no one outside of the WWE considers them a TV Show, even after 10 years of trying.

Vince probably thinks if he says "we're a TV show not a wrestling show" enough times people will think it's the truth. See also: "they're sports entertainers, not professional wrestlers"

Fox318

I don't even know why WWE insist on trying to be a 'TV Show' rather than a 'Wrestling Show' when seemingly no one outside of the WWE considers them a TV Show, even after 10 years of trying.

That's what happens when the CEO and head creative is desperately trying to win the approval of people with real financial value and his deceased father who abandoned him and died alone after Vince ran all of his business partners out of business.

revenge raiden is pandering, fellas.

his character was toyed with and pulled and twisted in MGS2 and after it all, as he stares the ruins of Federal Hall, Snake tosses him dog tags, YOUR dog tags, and tells him he's free of you, the player and to go on.

In Metal Gear Solid 4 he's a ninja that gets broken like 10 times or some shit, its kind of cool in that he is still free of the player. And in the end he is finally walking away from violence, by requesting to be turned into something not capable of it, a regular body.

In Metal Gear Rising Raiden is a stupid, filthy fed in the employ of the same governments that made his life what it is and growls a lot so people can finally believe he's a bad ass and a long standing promise to play as a cyber ninja is finally fulfilled. He also gets a robot that has a crush on him. That's pandering, daddy. That's pandering.

I've only played MGS and MGS 4, I really should try and play the others! Oh, I played a bit MGS2, maybe like 20 minutes.

That's what happens when the CEO and head creative is desperately trying to win the approval of people with real financial value and his deceased father who abandoned him and died alone after Vince ran all of his business partners out of business.

I'm going to be honest here; I couldn't follow that.

Sephzilla

¡HarlequinPanic!;170583967 said:
FAVE FIVE MGS BOSSES:

5 - Vulcan Raven
4 - The Boss
3 - Fatman
2 - Harrier Jet
1 - Psycho Mantis

Fav Five Metal Gear Bosses
5- Liquid Ocelot (MGS4)
4- The Boss
3- Senator Armstrong
2- The End
1- Psycho Mantis

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious what WrassleGAF's favorite Metal Gear boss is

It's The End. I think I had more actual FUN fighting The Fear, but The End was a concept that I'd never seen done in that way before and it was absolutely goddamn thrilling and a huge deal.

Worst boss design is Fatman.

¡HarlequinPanic!;170583553 said:

his character was toyed with and pulled and twisted in MGS2 and after it all, as he stares the ruins of Federal Hall, Snake tosses him dog tags, YOUR dog tags, and tells him he's free of you, the player and to go on.

In Metal Gear Solid 4 he's a ninja that gets broken like 10 times or some shit, its kind of cool in that he is still free of the player. And in the end he is finally walking away from violence, by requesting to be turned into something not capable of it, a regular body.

In Metal Gear Rising Raiden is a stupid, filthy fed in the employ of the same governments that made his life what it is and growls a lot so people can finally believe he's a bad ass and a long standing promise to play as a cyber ninja is finally fulfilled. He also gets a robot that has a crush on him. That's pandering, daddy. That's pandering.

100%. "No it wasn't pandering in MGS4, they actually made him cool" THEY WERE PANDERING

Sunny, come to BOLA. Do it!

I really want to. The BOLA lineup is fucking insane and PROBABLY the only shot I'll get to see some of those wrusslers in action. I'd love to but it depends on work. Which, my performance review happened yesterday and I murdered it, I slaughtered that pig. So I will be staying in real estate for another year.

oh fine, I'll join in the Metal Gear musings...

- Snake Eater is the best, fiddly menu stuff aside, best bosses and feels consistently solid (hah) throughout.
- As good as MGS1 is it really falls apart towards the back end, once you know the swerves playing most sections after Sniper Wolf cops it is just bland backtracking city.
- MGS4 is a putrid pile of poop, tolerable for the first two acts but I have no clue what happened with the last three factoring in both gameplay and cutscenes. Speaking of cutscenes it's tedious nonsense throughout.
- As neat as the plot twists are in MGS2 it's also probably part of the reason that MGS4 is a load of nonsense.
- Cyborg Raiden is lame as fuck but....
- Rising is dope as fuck so there's redemption there.

I'd do a fave five bosses but Rising would dominate it, I'm just going to say The Fury is pretty underrated.
I also just found out Ghost Babel has Marionette Owl, I gotta play this.

Fox318

I've only played MGS and MGS 4, I really should try and play the others! Oh, I played a bit MGS2, maybe like 20 minutes.

I'm going to be honest here; I couldn't follow that.

The reputation of wrestling is so bad that instead of trying to repair that image and be proud of being a wrestling company they try their hardest pretending that they are an entertainment company. Its why they always mention how they have more twitter followers than a TV station.

Despite the standards of being an entertainment company being completely different as well as Vince being strongly anti-union.

The latter part had to do with Vince Sr on his death bed not getting any visitors from former colleges because the only thing Vince Jr has been successful at is driving what he sees as his competitors out of business. Its why the product is struggling now and why it struggled against WCW. Vince couldn't out spend his competitor so he had to be solely judged by the popularity of his product.

tm24

I really want to. The BOLA lineup is fucking insane and PROBABLY the only shot I'll get to see some of those wrusslers in action. I'd love to but it depends on work. Which, my performance review happened yesterday and I murdered it, I slaughtered that pig. So I will be staying in real estate for another year.

I'm probably skipping Threemendous just so i dont blow past my fun budget with this BOLA lineup. The shirt budget alone will be bigger than just going to Threemendous

kiguel182

The reputation of wrestling is so bad that instead of trying to repair that image and be proud of being a wrestling company they try their hardest pretending that they are an entertainment company. Its why they always mention how they have more twitter followers than a TV station.

Despite the standards of being an entertainment company being completely different as well as Vince being strongly anti-union.

The latter part had to do with Vince Sr on his death bed not getting any visitors from former colleges because the only thing Vince Jr has been successful at is driving what he sees as his competitors out of business. Its why the product is struggling now and why it struggled against WCW. Vince couldn't out spend his competitor so he had to be solely judged by the popularity of his product.

They are a TV show. The problem is that it's a crappy TV show. They also like to compare themselves to sports when wrestling isn't a sport.

But yeah, they are a TV show.

Zach

FAVE FIVE MGS BOSSES:

5 - Vulcan Raven
4 - The Boss
3 - Fatman
2 - Harrier Jet
1 - Psycho Mantis

Fav Five Metal Gear Bosses
5- Liquid Ocelot (MGS4)
4- The Boss
3- Senator Armstrong
2- The End
1- Psycho Mantis

It's The End. I think I had more actual FUN fighting The Fear, but The End was a concept that I'd never seen done in that way before and it was absolutely goddamn thrilling and a huge deal.

Worst boss design is Fatman.

The Boss, Psycho Mantis, and Liquid Ocelot were all great. The others you guys mentioned -- including Fatman (what a loon) -- were fun, too.

Man, great series.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
FAVE FIVE MGS BOSSES:

5 - Vulcan Raven
4 - The Boss
3 - Fatman
2 - Harrier Jet
1 - Psycho Mantis

1. The Boss
2. Harrier Jet
3. The Fury
4. Metal Gear Rex (MGS1)
5. Liquid Ocelot

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Volgin deserved better. He was a great dude.

¡HarlequinPanic!;170583553 said:

100%. "No it wasn't pandering in MGS4, they actually made him cool" THEY WERE PANDERING

Raiden in MGS2 was literally designed to pander to young girls. They were still pandering in MGS4, just to a different demographic. Who Kojima took the piss out of anyway by making him even more of a whiny cunt who exposits about the rain and lightning and shit.

raaage_panda.gif

Raiden in MGS2 was literally designed to pander to young girls. They were still pandering in MGS4, just to a different demographic.

If you believe that Metal Gear Solid 2 was a bizarre cash grab for young girl's money, you are proving the points about information control that the game had~

IF YOU ACTUALLY THINK, THAT RAIDEN WAS JUST THE...

I'M GONNA START THAT AGAIN.

IF YOU ACTUALLY THINK, THAT RAIDEN WAS JUST THE RIGHT GAY--GUY...AT THE WRONG, AT THE RIGHT TIME...

¡HarlequinPanic!;170589733 said:
If you believe that Metal Gear Solid 2 was a bizarre cash grab for young girl's money, you are proving the points about information control that the game had~

The Patriots must be controlling your digital flow of information, I never said MGS2 was a bizarre cash grab for young girl's money. I said Raiden was designed to pander to young girls. As in visually. Kojima mentioned getting feedback from females playing the original and complaining about Snake being a middle-aged doofus, and he told Shinkawa to make Raiden prettier as a result.

Naked-Raiden-Cartwheel-MGS2.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Get out of here, Vince McMahon.

You guys have any durable plush dog toy suggestions? My newly-adopted terrier-esque beast tears through them like they're nothin'. He loves them, though.

Plubber makes some indestructible, amazing stuff. My dog destroyed everything we threw at her until she got her hands on this thing, the piggy in the upper right:

ILTDHKx.jpg

Indestructible, and still soft. She still loves it, and it's only lost its ears in over a year, and she demolished everything.

Remember when Raiden was all like "it even rained on the day I was born :("
And then Snake's all like "you were the lightning in that rain, You can still shine through the darkness"

Shit was cheesier than a motivated yet aggressive John Cena promo about how he loves this business and the Cenation.
Basically MGS4 writing would slot in fine on Monday Night Raw.

I like cheese, and I admire that MGS seemingly embraces the 80's Action Bromance Genre with glee and pours lots and lots of cheese on it.

Zach

Plubber makes some indestructible, amazing stuff. My dog destroyed everything we threw at her until she got her hands on this thing, the piggy in the upper right:

ILTDHKx.jpg

Indestructible, and still soft. She still loves it, and it's only lost its ears in over a year, and she demolished everything.

I knew I could count on you.

RP912

Banned
FAVE FIVE MGS BOSSES:

5 - Vulcan Raven
4 - The Boss
3 - Fatman
2 - Harrier Jet
1 - Psycho Mantis

5. Revolver Ocelot
4. The End
3. Screaming Mantis
2. Psycho Mantis
1. The Sorrow

Goddammit...now I want to play the games again..you bastards :(.

Remember when Raiden was all like "it even rained on the day I was born :("
And then Snake's all like "you were the lightning in that rain, You can still shine through the darkness"

Shit was cheesier than a motivated yet aggressive John Cena promo about how he loves this business and the Cenation.
Basically MGS4 writing would slot in fine on Monday Night Raw.

I'd watch a kojima booked RAW

MGS4 Raiden is Gray Fox

nope

MC Safety

Professional wrestling has a limited audience. Sports entertainment has a mass audience.

Do you think Vince wants to go back to wearing the tuxedo and calling matches at the Garden for WWF Wrestling on channel 9 every Friday at midnight?

Top Bottom