• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

klonere

Banned
A summation of MGS4

Act I: This is pretty cool
Act II: This is pretty cool
End of Act II: Okay what
Act III: Fart
Act IV: Fart (to the tune of The Best is Yet To Come)
Act V: JOHNNY AND MEI LOVE STORY
Epilogue: FAAAAARRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT forever

Final mark: bad

Klonere reminded me, I will never not be baffled by the screwy in game logic of MGS4 Act 3 where you're tailing a guy trying to sneak past guards while whistling as loud as humanly possible so the player can follow him but the guards are seemingly death. And he is totally not suspicious about the guards blocking his path suddenly dying/getting zapped by a little robot, does he think a guardian angel is on his side or something? how would that berk have even made it to his destination without this divine Snake intervention?
There was some major disconnect there, the guy must be dull as dishwater to be surprised that Snake was following him all along.

Twin Snakes, broski. They should leave the PS1 version in the archives and bring back Twin Snakes.

But...but...Snake flips over a doorframe!
AND IT WAS MAJESTIC!

Klonere reminded me, I will never not be baffled by the screwy in game logic of MGS4 Act 3 where you're tailing a guy trying to sneak past guards while whistling as loud as humanly possible so the player can follow him but the guards are seemingly death. And he is totally not suspicious about the guards blocking his path suddenly dying/getting zapped by a little robot, does he think a guardian angel is on his side or something? how would that berk have even made it to his destination without this divine Snake intervention?
There was some major disconnect there, the guy must be dull as dishwater to be surprised that Snake was following him all along.

AND IT WAS MAJESTIC!

I'm not surprised, considering throughout the series people are regularly fooled by moving boxes

AND IT WAS MAJESTIC!

Maybe he's just an idiot. Did you think of that?

Fox318

They are a TV show. The problem is that it's a crappy TV show. They also like to compare themselves to sports when wrestling isn't a sport.

But yeah, they are a TV show.
Except in today's TV market with the internet and DVR they would be better marketing themselves as sports.

Even if results are scripted a simulation sport would probably get a better TV deal than poorly acted nighttime soap opera.

Professional wrestling has a limited audience. Sports entertainment has a mass audience.

Do you think Vince wants to go back to wearing the tuxedo and calling matches at the Garden for WWF Wrestling on channel 9 every Friday at midnight?

If they're going to go TV go TV ala Lucha Underground, and make sure there's some sort of continuity! As it is it's half TV Show and Half Wrestling show and it doesn't really capture the feeling positively of either.

If they're going to go TV go TV ala Lucha Underground, and make sure there's some sort of continuity! As it is it's half TV Show and Half Wrestling show and it doesn't really capture the feeling positively of either.

I liked your recap of the newest Zelda game thread. I don't know if that's how it went down because I'm too lazy to look through it but it was entertaining nonetheless.

Hex

Banned

There used to be a lot of different stories going at one time in the WWE, these days it is always one story and everything else is a side.
Authority authority authority. They have pulled the same "Will Kane turn" , "Will J&J leave Rollins alone" at least six times in the past two months.
Other than that they have no idea what to do, they used to book long term but now are so paranoid about injuries that they book week to week.
And then you get the same matches week after week after week.
It is no wonder ratings are bottoming out.

CIjZYtOUMAAmxrt.jpg

:jnc rvd pls

Hi Hex, welcome back! I totally agree with you, too. I haven't watched the weekly shows for a month or so now. I just watch the PPVs and the video packages.

I wonder if less people are getting indie wrestling via trackers now that there's a good selection available on demand. Although, it's probably the opposite... more HD rips.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if less people are getting indie wrestling via trackers now that there's a good selection available on demand. Although, it's probably the opposite... more HD rips.

Trackers?

Alucard

Banned
MGS2 was pretty damn ridiculous. Only played through once and didn't feel a need to do it again. Much preferred the original.

Zach

Guys, should I invest even a trial run into Assassin's Creed Black Flag? I'm tired of Assassin's Creed (haven't played one since dabbling in AC3), but hear great things about Black Flag.

If it helps, I don't love pirates. Finding treasure and stuff sounds kinda cool. Unless it's superfluous Assassin's Creed fluff treasure.

Edit: Asking because it's available through Games with Gold.

MGS2 was pretty damn ridiculous. Only played through once and didn't feel a need to do it again. Much preferred the original.

Did you think about it beyond the superficial?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NWA Classics this Friday! Roll call, friends!

I'm in at least for the first month, but as something I truly want to see more of, I'll probably just stay subscribed.

Alucard

Banned
Guys, should I invest even a trial run into Assassin's Creed Black Flag? I'm tired of Assassin's Creed (haven't played one since dabbling in AC3), but hear great things about Black Flag.

If it helps, I don't love pirates. Finding treasure and stuff sounds kinda cool. Unless it's superfluous Assassin's Creed fluff treasure.

Did you think about it beyond the superficial?

Not sure what you mean. There was a vampire. Pulled me right out of it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It's worth playing, Unity is a huge step up, however. So if you only have the energy for one AC game, Unity's the one, baby. Lots of evolution. Black Flag feels very last gen, mechanics-wise, but it IS fun.

kiguel182

Except in today's TV market with the internet and DVR they would be better marketing themselves as sports.

Even if results are scripted a simulation sport would probably get a better TV deal than poorly acted nighttime soap opera.

I have the opposite opinion. Wrestling isn't a sport and it's better of embracing the fact that it's a tv show than pretending it's one. If I want to watch a real combat sport I'll just watch UFC.

They just need to be better written. Simple as that. Having soap opera angles isn't necessary or having badly written dialogue.

You need good characters and good stories but outside of it it's still a tv show. A fake sports tv show sure but it isn't competing with the UFC or the NBA or whatever.

Ultratech

I'm curious what WrassleGAF's favorite Metal Gear boss is

Hard to say.

The End was a pretty crazy fight. First time I went through MGS3, I made the effort to Stamina Kill all bosses.
So The End kinda took a while, since you have to move slow, find out where he his (either via Thermal or the Sound thingie), then sneak up on him.
Was totally worth it though.

¡HarlequinPanic!;170583967 said:
FAVE FIVE MGS BOSSES:

5 - Vulcan Raven
4 - The Boss
3 - Fatman
2 - Harrier Jet
1 - Psycho Mantis

In no particular order...
-Vulcan Raven
-The End
-The Boss
-The Fury (no shit, it's a pretty hilarious and fun fight despite the flame bullshit; tossing grenades over walls and crap, quick-scoping his ass across the room, and so on)
-Metal Gear Rex (MGS1)

MY EYES
Tw5ODkA.gif

(That looked like it hurt...a lot.)

Fox318

I have the opposite opinion. Wrestling isn't a sport and it's better of embracing the fact that it's a tv show than pretending it's one. If I want to watch a real combat sport I'll just watch UFC.

They just need to be better written. Simple as that. Having soap opera angles isn't necessary or having badly written dialogue.

You need good characters and good stories but outside of it it's still a tv show. A fake sports tv show sure but it isn't competing with the UFC or the NBA or whatever.

except with UFC you can't make stars as easily as you can with WWE. They only fight 2-3 times a year and injuries or the wrong guy getting a win can affect the popularity. John Jones, Cain Velazquez, and now the Conner fight are all victims of this.

WWE can have a guy on TV as much as they need to. The fakeness shouldn't change the fact that theoretically anything could happen.

Problem is they don't have the roster for a 2 hour show never mind the 7 hours+ the produce every week.

Top Bottom