• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

klonere

Banned
Dean Ambrose is starting to rub me the wrong way. He needs to tone down the twitching and shit. It makes him seem like more of a parody than a real character.

Have you seen his merch? They are probably battering it into him to play up the kooky, crazy side so people don't take him as seriously.

Something like that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like Ambrose a lot. Used to hate him. Never forget the Wrasslin' OT of Dean Ambrose, Muscleless Agent of SHIELD.

Heel

Have you seen his merch? They are probably battering it into him to play up the kooky, crazy side so people don't take him as seriously.

Something like that.

Watching RAW, I'd say you're right. They zoomed in on his contorting face, tongue lashing about, as they cut to commercial. That was their cliffhanger.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
i'm surprised sunny isn't more into cmll considering they have bodybuilding competitions

I like em a lot and those are always so funny to me, so strange. But I simply don't get to see enough CMLL. If I had my druthers I'd add a few hours of wrestling into my daily routine, but I can't.

somedevil

Also Bryan Alvarez said this on his show at 3pm:

Bryan Alvarez just hinted at a possible heel turn on Sunday on Wrestling Observer Live,

Guess Away. Its most likely going to be
Dean Ambrose but a Undertaker heel turn would be interesting

Menome

Sandow's been a joke for two years unfortunately. He had a hell of a match with Cena, but lost, and then for the next few months his gimmick was "guy who couldn't stop losing and got depressed about it" and then one day he made a promo imitating someone, and for months he'd imitate different people, then he imitated Miz and people loved it so he spent the rest of his time doing that until Mania where he turned on Miz. It was great

Then he lost the feud, imitated Savage with Axel, and is now off TV entirely

I'll keep my fingers crossed, even if it's a futile effort.

Sephzilla

I would be 100% okay with another Big Evil run. That or Undertaker recruits Bray, Harper, Rowan, and I guess Kane to form The New Ministry

Ithil

I thought you meant Alvarez would be turning heel on Sunday, presumably by attacking Meltzer with his own ancient Mac.

UberTag

Sandow has always been a joke and always will be a joke.
Which is fine, because you can make a decent living being a joke in the WWE.
If it's good enough for Santino Marella and Zack Ryder, it's good enough for Damien Sandow.

Big One

Banned

Falconarrow also said more people need to be talking about Battleground than they should be. Maybe they'll do it finally
(Cena Heel Turn)
...but I doubt it.

Something like that.

For some reason it's hard for me to take someone who relies that much on a gimmick (and not that Ambrose needs to either) seriously as a legit contender. It feels like it doesn't allow his real personality to shine through, which is what you look for when you think of the top guys over the years.

Nah, I'm just a fan of the Quidditch team, The Sailors.

Wow, Full Sail University has it all, despite what the people who couldn't handle the rigorous academic work would have you believe:

thumbs_full-sail.jpg

I'll look forward to you all mentioning the Battleground results when I'm done celebrating my win at EVO.

Personally I don't think Undertaker is showing up at all.

Fox318

He specifically mentioned that if the turn happened Cesaro would be the top babyface

so I guess Shield heel turn?

Heel

At the risk of sounding negative, I've never been able to shake the "Brian Pillman Light" aura I got off Dean when you guys showed me his promos before his debut. Maybe they'll give him a pistol with a safety orange tip.

klonere

Banned
For some reason it's hard for me to take someone who relies that much on a gimmick (and not that Ambrose needs to either) seriously as a legit contender. It feels like it doesn't allow his real personality to shine through, which is what you look for when you think of the top guys over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vchJAqYDPxs

This is the real Dean Ambrose and the real Seth Rollins.

But they got a spot once a month on Smackdown at best. Otherwise they are weak ass gimmicks.

The Undertaker
having a faction and appear more in a speaking role could be great. I'm not crazy about seeing him wrestle so that's a plus and it shakes up the landscape and starts new stories other than The Authority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vchJAqYDPxs

This is the real Dean Ambrose and the real Seth Rollins.

But they got a spot once a month on Smackdown at best. Otherwise they are weak ass gimmicks.

See that Ambrose at least seems a little more cunning and clever, which would work well I think. When he's all in twitch mode he seems like a the poor dumbass who everyone can get over on. Yeah it makes him an underdog and people might like that, but it makes him a dumbass.

Fox318

That would require, at minimum, Reigns, Ambrose and Cena to all turn heel.

It's such a bizare way to awnser a question.

I mean haven't we learned post Austin that its probably a bad idea to turn a top guy heel like that? Hogan never gained new fans so his heel turn helped him stay cool with his old fans but Cena has built his image on getting new fans from mostly younger and family groups.

I think Cena should keep the US title and continue the open challenge for as long as he can and drop it on a Raw in a big market. Maybe they book MSG again if the NXT show does good numbers?

Heel

WrassleGAF, please fill me in on what's happening in WWE and its quality. Be as serious or as snarky as you wish.

I hadn't watched RAW in many weeks, but tuned in on Monday.

There was a really good Owens/Cesaro/Rusev/Cena block, worth catching.
Steph debuted a group of NXT Divas and it was a complete cluster.

WrassleGAF, please fill me in on what's happening in WWE and its quality. Be as serious or as snarky as you wish.

John Cena is the most consistently good thing on Raw. Has been for the last three months.

The top three NXT women debuted on Monday. Steph said things will change. That remains to be seen, but initial reactions to the segment are mostly positive.

Cena/Owens is a good feud, but not great (Owens constantly interferes in Cena's matches and/or attacks postmatch and it's gotten old pretty quick, he's done it 3 or 4 times now and they've only been feuding 2 months max). Cena's matches from Mania on have all been great though, even the one with Ryder was at least better than expected
Brock/Seth's meh, Brock killing stuff and people is good as always but Seth running gets old after a while and both berating/hurting Kane is Not Cool
Prime Time Players/New Day is alright, New Day is actually good now that they're heels, and WWE having an openly gay champion (Darren Young) is fucking incredible considering what they've previously done. Tag division otherwise is stagnant because Harper and an Uso are out for months, and Kidd may never come back.
Divas division still sucks, but they debuted 3 NXT people so maybe it won't for much longer, but it's still the Divas division and it's still in the hands of WWE so that hope's at 50% at best
IC title feud of Ryback/Show/Miz, don't wanna talk about it
Reigns/Bray, Reigns being wasted again because of brats, don't wanna talk about it

klonere

Banned

Main event: Cycling through a variety of faces (Orton, Reigns, Ambrose and now Lesnar) who go up against Rollins. Rollins wins via Authority and is throughly unconvincing and clearly second to HHH/Steph rather than being the guy calling the shots. Rollins, Ambrose even Reigns have been kinda shafted by the booking of this belt. KANE IN 2015.

5/10

US Belt: Cena has been having Open Challenges every week on Raw. Very simple and interesting concept. Lots of fantastic matches. Letting a lot of people kick of AA. Kevin Owens and more recently Cesaro have greatly impressed. Owens won his first match on the main roster vs Cena. They are currently 1 - 1 going into Sunday with no clear obvious winner.

7/10

Inter: Ryback wins it after DBry drops it. Ryback has improved a lot and is an endearing and entertaining character with passable in ring. Sadly stuck in Big Show feud hell with Miz randomly inserted. Hope he retains and goes on a long run with it with better opponents.

4/10

Tag: Kiddsaro and a newly heeled up and completely amazing New Day were poised to have some great back and forths but sadly Kidd got hurt, career ending hurt. PTP now running with the belts and have been solid. Titus is a great hot tag. Entertaining belt to watch

6/10 (8/10 when Kiddsaro were doing their thing)

Divas: Garbage. Reboot attempt this week which was also pretty garbage with NXT women.

2/10

Misc others aka Midcard hell:

Reigns and Wyatt are having a feud. Its serviceable. I still don't like Reigns all that much but he has definitely gotten better. Wyatt is useless and booked uselessly.

Sheamus won MiTB fellah and has been wandering around doing nothing. Going to have a 5 star classic with Orton Sunday.

Sandow has been conclusively buried with a shit shit shit SHIT gimmick.

KoTR winner Barrett is now a comedy jobber.

Bo Dallas....is on TV occasionally.

Rusev is MY BOY and is going to bounce back from one of the worst feuds I have ever seen.

Lana has been completely butchered.

Luke Harper needs to be Kane in the Authority instead of Kane.

Stardust is hopefully going to run his gimmick to a close and then reboot for the xth time as Gushing Cody Rhodes or something. Probably should be WHC.

4/10

Overall:

5/10

somedevil

Here was the State of Wrestling for Last Week:

Basically over 350,000 DVRed Raw and put it over 4 million viewers for that week. Also, points to the strangle point WWE has on the market. WWE owns a 90 percent share of the wrestling market.

ROH, TNA and Lucha underground owns the other 10 percent.

Aiii

So not worth it
Here was the State of Wrestling for Last Week:

Basically over 350,000 DVRed Raw and put it over 4 million viewers for that week. Also, points to the strangle point WWE has on the market. WWE owns a 90 percent share of the wrestling market.

ROH, TNA and Lucha underground owns the other 10 percent.

Interesting, but incomplete list due to El Rey not having Nielsen and also ignoring the Spanish broadcast, which adds another few thousand viewers for LU

I thank you, friends, for your responses. US belt & Tag stuff sounds decent enough.

Shame to hear The Shield boys are seemingly puttering about. And poor Reigns. If anything will get him sympathy it's being saddled with a Bray Wyatt feud.

Also, I can't believe fucking Sheamus is a looming threat to the main event scene. Simply terrifying.

klonere

Banned
Have they announced a Rusev/ Cesaro runback for Battleground? If not, they should after Monday's match.

That'd be a cool match to throw on their from a pure spectator standpoint but I don't think they can afford having either of them lose tbh

A full on feud would be cool if Cesaro ain't going after the US Belt

klonere

Banned
The worst part of the whole thing is that the reason they are pushing him so hard is because of Conor McGregor's popularity. As if that somehow means Sheamus will get over.

I think it has more to do with the whole TMNT movie he's doing.

I honestly really do think Sheamus can be great but putting him in feuds with Orton is the worst possible thing.

he also needs some fire in his promos, dude sounds like he kinda doesn't put it all out there as a heel honestly

fellah

Top Bottom