• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So one thing I'll say about Lucha Underground as a negative strike building towards Ultimate Lucha is that a big reason Muertes/Puma isn't getting as much buzz as say, Pentagon/Vampiro(which had a lot of booking in its flaws ie feeding Pentagon to Sexy Star for no reason) is because of the Puma character.

Throughout the series Puma is supposed to be what you'd consider the main character. He's the 'main face' he's not got much personality or charisma as that character, so you just like him because I assume he's supposed to be the default. But then you look at Drago and Fenix. You look at everything they've been through to get the title. Fenix getting killed repeatedly, Drago getting fired and coming back. Drago having more of a tweener edge to him than Puma. Fenix coming off as much more of a sympathetic babyface than Puma after everything he's been through and just the way he connects and comes across with an audience. What adversity has Puma faced? His partner turning on him in an angle that lasted for like a week?

Puma's a great wrestler, but franklly, I think he's a flop because he has such a boring character. If this were NJPW, it wouldn't be as big of a deal because you can get by on being a great wrestler, but the thing about LU's strongest part is NOT the wrestling. It's the characters. And when you have all these top tier characters, all these likeable guys you want to get behind, the idea of Puma being 'the guy' is just lame.

klonere

Banned
What about the whole Kevin Owens thing? What's going on with Lana and Ziggler? Will WWE actually do something with the Diva's division?

1. Good but can't be dragged into SummerSlam
2. Its garbage and Ziggler is out for a while
3. No, I think its gonna remain garbage forever.

RP912

Banned
During my time off, I attended these programs at a hospital to help with mental health issues, it's some pretty eye opening stuff. Got a better grasp on what I've been dealing with and learned a slew of new ways to help manage them. It was three months, just wrapped that up and I've applied and got accepted back to school. Headin' back in September.

Feels good, brahs.

That's good to know man. Keep it up.

klonere

Banned
So one thing I'll say about Lucha Underground as a negative strike building towards Ultimate Lucha is that a big reason Muertes/Puma isn't getting as much buzz as say, Pentagon/Vampiro(which had a lot of booking in its flaws ie feeding Pentagon to Sexy Star for no reason) is because of the Puma character.

Throughout the series Puma is supposed to be what you'd consider the main character. He's the 'main face' he's not got much personality or charisma as that character, so you just like him because I assume he's supposed to be the default. But then you look at Drago and Fenix. You look at everything they've been through to get the title. Fenix getting killed repeatedly, Drago getting fired and coming back. Drago having more of a tweener edge to him than Puma. Fenix coming off as much more of a sympathetic babyface than Puma after everything he's been through and just the way he connects and comes across with an audience. What adversity has Puma faced? His partner turning on him in an angle that lasted for like a week?

Puma's a great wrestler, but franklly, I think he's a flop because he has such a boring character. If this were NJPW, it wouldn't be as big of a deal because you can get by on being a great wrestler, but the thing about LU's strongest part is NOT the wrestling. It's the characters. And when you have all these top tier characters, all these likeable guys you want to get behind, the idea of Puma being 'the guy' is just lame.

So the Gordan Freeman model ain't working out for LU then?

NoRéN

What they have pushed a lot about Puma at the takings is that he is from Boyle Heights. He's local, he's the hometown guy. You would be surprised at how many people actually do think this is true. It's really all they've done for the character. Adversity? He's from the "barrio"!

Clearly that doesn't translate on tv but at the tapings the crowd loves their hometown hero. Him and Pentagon Jr. are the crowd favorites.

1. Good but can't be dragged into SummerSlam
2. Its garbage and Ziggler is out for a while
3. No, I think its gonna remain garbage forever.

Owens/Cena has been fun. You could grab two people at random on the entire planet and they'd probably have more chemistry on-screen than Dolph and Lana. The NXT women's segment on Monday was really nice, but one week doesn't mean much. I'm hopeful about the future, but it's still very much up in the air.

The Diva's thing not going to be a permanent fixture is disheartening. The crowd seemed all for it, how was WrestleGAF's reaction?

tumblr_nrl2yx1FEt1rm7wbjo1_400.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If this horseshit even slightly contributes to Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka leaving OKC, I will laugh and laugh.

Who are those people? There's nobody important here. They're nobodies.

I just googled them. Basketball? That's the third worst sport in the world. 2nd worst is hockey which is basically sweeping your kitchen on ice, and first worst, the ultimate worst sport is soccer, sport for the worthless.

I also feel nothing for Puma.

The Diva's thing not going to be a permanent fixture is disheartening. The crowd seemed all for it, how was WrestleGAF's reaction?

I mean those three will stay on the main roster, so they will be a permanent fixture. It's just a matter of how they are promoted and treated which is yet to be seen. The positive is that Triple H and Steph are the ones who are spearheading the whole thing and it apparently means a lot to them, so it probably won't be forgotten about in a week.

I mean those three will stay on the main roster, so they will be a permanent fixture. It's just a matter of how they are promoted and treated which is yet to be seen. The positive is that Triple H and Steph are the ones who are spearheading the whole thing and it apparently means a lot to them, so it probably won't be forgotten about in a week.

Here's hoping. Also, Becky Lynch is really orange. Didn't help she was standing next to Paige of all people

Aiii

So not worth it

We'll revisit this post next Halloween, when Sasha comes out dressed as a clown or some shit like that for the annual 3-minute Halloween Divas Battle Royale.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The more I think about what they've been doing with Papa Powerbomb the more convinced I am he's not going to crack that main event scene for quite some time. After seeing some potential SS spoilers, it sounds like he won't be sniffing the main event for some time, which is fine - he's still super new. But I'd be concerned that a high profile feud with Cena didn't get him where he needed to be yet, and won't ever be. He'll be slumming it in the midcard for a while, which is fine as well, because that's typically where some of the best matches are, but I'd abandon much of the hope for him.

Of course, this is all conjecture, so don't get hurt feelings, anyone.

The more I think about what they've been doing with Papa Powerbomb the more convinced I am he's not going to crack that main event scene for quite some time. After seeing some potential SS spoilers, it sounds like he won't be sniffing the main event for some time, which is fine - he's still super new. But I'd be concerned that a high profile feud with Cena didn't get him where he needed to be yet, and won't ever be. He'll be slumming it in the midcard for a while, which is fine as well, because that's typically where some of the best matches are, but I'd abandon much of the hope for him.

So the typical aftermath of a Cena fued?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Certain characters can rise above that (hurr) but I fear for Papa Powerbomb because his story is so married to Cena right now.

Who knows, perhaps he'll win the US Championship soon. Spoilers aren't real until they happen. Anything can change.

klonere

Banned

Midcard is death. Owens in the midcard sounds like an awful cowardly bully heel that WWE just can't book well in any capacity.

I'm up to episode 8 of LU. Its AMAZING. God bless nefarious means.

Entropia

No One Remembers
During my time off, I attended these programs at a hospital to help with mental health issues, it's some pretty eye opening stuff. Got a better grasp on what I've been dealing with and learned a slew of new ways to help manage them. It was three months, just wrapped that up and I've applied and got accepted back to school. Headin' back in September.

Feels good, brahs.

Glad you are doing well friend.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Midcard is death. Owens in the midcard sounds like an awful cowardly bully heel that WWE just can't book well in any capacity.

I'm up to episode 8 of LU. Its AMAZING. God bless nefarious means.

It sounds like their usual, but eventually the midcard moves up. Look at Rollins, look at Ambrose, look at Reigns. They're all main eventing PPVs and didn't used to be there. It takes time. Fat Boy Owens can make it, if he can divorce his entire reason for existing on WWE TV from being Cena's foil unless Cena's gonna continue to lift him up to something higher.

Keep watchin LU, it only gets better and I mean it.

Entropia

No One Remembers

It's good that they're bringing up some talented Divas!

The general consensus was: The way they were brought out was rather strange. "HEY LOOK IT'S THESE GIRLS FROM NXT!!!!!!!!!" Like, why not have them do something a bit more original. :( Why not have Paige be like "None of the current Divas are interested - but I know some that are~!". Much more organic.

Where it goes from here depends entirely how it's booked. If they're given time for proper matches, then it can be good.,

somedevil

According to the Wrestling Observer Owens
is expected to win the feud with Cena and get a big push going into 2016

As for who is facing the
Undertaker at Summerslam
nobody has said anything about who his opponent is. One might not happen till Wrestlemania next year.

Hell people has thrown out
the shield reuniting to help defeat Lesnar and then the Undertaker shows up and then they can do 3 on 2 or 3 on 3 with Kane for Summerslam

Unless they change there writing and book of that division adding new people won't change anything.

I think that's the idea, but we'll see.

It's good that they're bringing up some talented Divas!

The general consensus was: The way they were brought out was rather strange. "HEY LOOK IT'S THESE GIRLS FROM NXT!!!!!!!!!" Like, why not have them do something a bit more original. :( Why not have Paige be like "None of the current Divas are interested - but I know some that are~!". Much more organic.

Where it goes from here depends entirely how it's booked. If they're given time for proper matches, then it can be good.,

I think it's all about mindset of people who have never seen these NXT women. If Paige brings them out, then they are just more women to add to the mix. Steph bringing them out and making a big show of it tells people "pay attention because this is important".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The most exciting prospect of Alex Riley is seeing where he is 20 years from now.

He's already at the paranoid nobody complaining about not getting their shot and most carnies don't hit that until their 40s. Carnying at an advanced rate

klonere

Banned
The most exciting prospect of Alex Riley is seeing where he is 20 years from now.

He's already at the paranoid nobody complaining about not getting their shot and most carnies don't hit that until their 40s. Carnying at an advanced rate

Dead. You know. From all the juice. And speedballs.

Watch it be for Itami, and Riley was the one that attacked him.

That said, an Itami squash of Riley on his return would be great.

rrc1594

After Owens is done with Cena where does he go. I'm assuming straight to WWE Championship contender. He character isn't really type for mid-card. Maybe he does win the US Title to set it with Sami. Sami and Owens battling for US Title can bring some prestige to the title. Who is your guys RR fav this year, I still believe in Ziggler!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
After Owens is done with Cena where does he go. I'm assuming straight to WWE Championship contender. He character isn't really type for mid-card. Maybe he does win the US Title to set it with Sami. Sami and Owens battling for US Title can bring some prestige to the title. Who is your guys RR fav this year, I still believe in Ziggler!
Keep in mind ol Sheamus is knocking around up there again with MITB...

dream

You are the cutest poster I've ever seen in wrestlinggaf.

Cagey

Banned

Alex Riley is on track to become a homeless man's Virgil.

rrc1594

Shit, since I mostly watch PPV to PPV I forgot this was a thing. The sooner hes uses his briefcase the better. Maybe he'll fail with it.

I hope him winning killed a lot of my westling hype this year, that why I been lurking more then posting. I mean Sheamus is so boring

Top Bottom