• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Doubt it. Liger likely has Lawler kind of contract since the junior division in NJPW is kind of his 'thing' and he can sort of free roams if he pleases. The most likely thing is just that Liger gets some exposure for people who haven't seen NJPW and maybe they can become commercial partners again.

You're not going to see, say, Nakamura on NXT.

Yeah, New Japan has been on good terms with WWE for a while, but still not in the "full partnership" stage, likely because Vince wouldn't fork over money for a show where half the matches would have to be him putting foreigners who can't speak his language over.

Liger could probably pull off both if he's scheduled for the ROH show in the same area, I think that one's earlier in the day.

Mengetsu

What's going on with Blue Pants though?
OKePW26.jpg

Kaladin

So you know what is really fucked?

NXT is pulling a TNA.

They're taping episodes on on August 13th and their special is August 22nd....so they'll be taping after the special.

NXT is pulling a TNA.

They're taping episodes on on August 13th and their special is August 22nd....so they'll be taping after the special.

They already did that with Beast in the East. They solve it by just not doing anything that gives away match results.

NXT is pulling a TNA.

Didn't that happen with NXT last night and last week? Last week they just replayed the Balor v Owens match and this week the women main evented.

Looking forward to seeing Liger. I wonder if this was in place before Itami's injury and the plan was Liger v Itami (not familiar with Japanese wrestling, so for all I know this already happened).

Kaladin

They already did that with Beast in the East. They solve it by just not doing anything that gives away match results.

Didn't that happen with NXT last night and last week? Last week they just replayed the Balor v Owens match and this week the women main evented.

Looking forward to seeing Liger. I wonder if this was in place before Itami's injury and the plan was Liger v Itami (not familiar with Japanese wrestling, so for all I know this already happened).

Yeah, but this was just with one storyline. They can work around that.

This is an entire special likely involving every angle.

Would this be the first time Liger wrestles for WWE/F? I know they did some crossover stuff with New Japan years ago, but was he involved in that?

Yeah, but this was just with one storyline. They can work around that.

This is an entire special likely involving every angle.

If they send people out for matches, that won't tell the crowd anything. They just couldn't do any promos involving the Brooklyn show.

Kaladin

If they send people out for matches, that won't tell the crowd anything. They just couldn't do any promos involving the Brooklyn show.

They would be limited to just basic matches though, no angles and maybe even not walking out with the belts if they feature the champs or challengers at all.

Would this be the first time Liger wrestles for WWE? I know they did some crossover stuff with New Japan years ago, but was he involved in that?

Apparently he was WWF Light Heavyweight Championship once according to his wiki.

I guess he had a short run at some point but it must have been a real quick one.

Edit but his WWE.com page doesnt mention it so maybe Wikipedia is wrong. So this might be his first time.

They would be limited to just basic matches though, no angles and maybe even not walking out with the belts if they feature the champs or challengers at all.

Honestly think they'd rather that than spoil a show. They could still do angles and interviews, they'd just have to be shot backstage and shown on the broadcast, not live.

Apparently he was WWF Light Heavyweight Championship once according to his wiki.

I guess he had a short run at some point but it must have been a real quick one.

Edit but his WWE.com page doesnt mention it so maybe Wikipedia is wrong. So this might be his first time.

He did win it, but it was at a Dome show, not any kind of WWF event.

Well DW and VM, I don't know what match you saw but to me it's just more of AAA's sloppy mess approach to pro wrestling. First of all, as far as gushing over the time of day, lighting, and colors - going as far as to liken it to the Sega AM2 logo or whatever - I didn't see you two jaybrons blowing your load all over Undertaker v. Wyatt at Wrestlemania. A match fought under the exact same conditions. So what's changed?

I chuckled at Pentagon Jr's fat *ss trying to start a "Pentagon" chant. Doesn't he know these women only like white men like Angelico? I sure do because the d*mn commentators only mentioned it about 30 times. And you two marks b*tch about Cole, JBL, and Saxton not calling the action in the ring?

I'll credit them for respecting the traditional rules of a tag team match for far longer then usual, I think they lasted about 90 seconds in this match, before descending into their usual free-for-all spotfest of a match. Even the ref can be seen resting against the ropes as he tries to recall who the legal men are like a mark getting worked by a shell game.

But there was one redeeming aspect to this sh*tshow. DW, I've seen you post an awful lot about wrestling here, enough to lead one to believe that you might know what you're talking about. Now I now the truth and that truth is that you don't know a d*mn thing about pro wrestling. So thank you. Thank you for showing us all the proper way to approach your on-topic posts from now on: with a huge grain of salt and the same encouragement shown to a special needs student. So good job, bee-*tch!

Now hit my f*cking music!

https://youtu.be/ohXKXU38MqQ

I don't think WWE should put a performer's brand on a product that they themselves would never use.
I knew this was coming.
BHrV0Uh.gif
Liger at NXT sounds pretty fun. Versus Breeze and I'm thinking it'll be like the Dalton Castle match from a bit ago.
Smackdown is basically teasing a
Owens vs Cesaro feud
I hoped so. This could be good, but only if they don't wrestle every week. Only have them go head to head for the PPVs.
That'll never happen.

somedevil

He did win it, but it was at a Dome show, not any kind of WWF event.

I remember in a review a wai review WWE just handed them the belt and said good luck we don't want it anymore.

NXT Brooklyn card so far:

Owens vs Balor
Breeze vs Liger
Joe vs Corbin
Possibility
Banks vs Bayley

The stuff with the Divas division reminds me of Ring of Honor's attempt at faction warfare.

They just threw teams together with random as fuck names and put them against each other.

The actual personalities of each team fit together, but I just don't like their team name. Team Bella is a fine name I guess. Don't think Paige's group has a name yet.

Big One

Banned
The stuff with the Divas division reminds me of Ring of Honor's attempt at faction warfare.

They just threw teams together with random as fuck names and put them against each other.
Shoot if I was running WWE I'd go full blown factions with everyone on the roster in one like NJPW.

Kaladin

The actual personalities of each team fit together, but I just don't like their team name. Team Bella is a fine name I guess. Don't think Paige's group has a name yet.

Sasha Banks feels out of place though in that she's more of a natural leader.....not to mention the fact that she is leagues above her teammates.

Sasha Banks feels out of place though in that she's more of a natural leader.....not to mention the fact that she is leagues above her teammates.

She'll end up leader regardless because she'll get over more than the other two. She's already basically presented, at least in that interview, as the best of the group.

tm24

Meanwhile in America

This actually wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of American indie wrestlers went to work full time in Mexico for the health care.

This is seemingly a retread of the announcement last year, which was a retread of an announcement the year before, so who know's what the actual deal with this plan

Kaladin

I still wish The Bellas, Naomi and Tamina could all go back to NXT for a bit and let the NXT divas run the division for a while. They could use the spotlight and training.

Kaiterra

Banned
Meanwhile in America

This actually wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of American indie wrestlers went to work full time in Mexico for the health care.

Oh wow that is super cool. Gotta keep an important part of your culture alive!

Eva Marie impressions:

Typical Full Sail "fattycuntnerdsmark" reactions, so predictable /s

I really hope she has improved more than a little. I'm keeping my expectations low but there's no way she can be as bad as she originally was since she was originally thrust out there with damn near zero training. Which was the most aggravating thing about her presence before and like Fox said, made her a perfect representation of everything wrong with the main roster divas division. So to that effect, I don't blame the NXT crowd much for booing her unless they keep doing it no matter how good she shows herself to be. It's not about her necessarily, it's about what she represents and her positioning as an outsider.

If you were to ask me today if all the reward was worth the sacrifices, I would say no.

Damn.

That is sad as hell. :\

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not that strange if you remember that Mexico has a legally binding, government approved board of overseers for Lucha Libre.

somedevil

Observer posted this about the Liger news:

There are other significant moves being made behind-the-scenes that don't involve New Japan, regarding NXT and ROH that are likely to become evident in short order.

What is happening?

Top Bottom