• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
026Batista_093102004rf_002.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
Haven't been here in a while because I haven't watched much Wrasslin in the past couple of months, until these past two weeks or so. Just been doing a lot of podcast episodes (Inside the Ropes, Attitude Era Podcast, New Generation Project).

Caught up with NJPW's Dominion show which was quality.

Absolutely loved WWE's Japan special. Broke my heart that Itami was sidelined for it. Apparently Laurinatis was integral in putting that show together since he has a good handle on booking in that territory. If WWE specialized in different areas like that more often it would do wonders. They have some of the best minds in the business but most of them are locked into peddling the same old filler garbage.

RAW was surprisingly not shit last week. Probably gonna go in for the free Network month for Battleground.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't been here in a while because I haven't watched much Wrasslin in the past couple of months, until these past two weeks or so. Just been doing a lot of podcast episodes (Inside the Ropes, Attitude Era Podcast, New Generation Project).

Caught up with NJPW's Dominion show which was quality.

Absolutely loved WWE's Japan special. Broke my heart that Itami was sidelined for it. Apparently Laurinatis was integral in putting that show together since he has a good handle on booking in that territory. If WWE specialized in different areas like that more often it would do wonders. They have some of the best minds in the business but most of them are locked into peddling the same old filler garbage.

RAW was surprisingly not shit last week. Probably gonna go in for the free Network month for Battleground.
Things have been pretty well. You aren't wrong.

klonere

Banned
No, because I don't really believe it...

But I am known to make dipshit bets. Let's do it. Pre-show NOT included. He can curtain jerk.

I'll go in for this. Owens is going on an extreme endurance fitness regime that involves doing both PPVs back to back baby. Thanks to coaching from Cesaro of course.

I really like this new av and will be sad to lose it so soon

I guess the big question is, if Cena does win, can the US Title storyline continue? I say yes for Summerslam, at least.

If Cena drops it to Owens, where does Owens take it? I don't have an answer for that, except "lower" - so I think Cena should hang on for another month at the least.

Going by how he beat Cena clean in his first main roster match, and what people have said about him being pretty seasoned meaning he might not have that many years left in him, I think Owens might he headed upwards towards a WWE champsionship feud whenever a face gets it, but probably not Brock. I don't know why but Brock vs Owens feels like they would cancel each other out in storyline terms and lead to a bit of a dead feud. I think Brock is best against heels with actual heat like Seth or faces with smarky heat like Cena.

So maybe in about a year Owens could be going after the WWE title, after the next Mania. I don't think he'd bring the US title down, but I do hope they keep up this constant defense of the title thing because it's made the US title feel really alive. Even though we know Cena is highly unlikely to drop it on a Raw, the matches have been given a lot of time and underappreciated good performers like Cesaro have been given a chance to show themselves off, so it's really just a good thing for everybody involved.

So if Owens gets it, it'd be good if that prominence continues. I mean I think if Cena DID drop it at Summerslam, then he's probably going to come back at Owens for a Summerslam rematch and you can stick Cesaro and Rusev in the mix. If he retains, same thing reversed. I just hope they do that. This is probably the most substantial angle they've done that is purely just about wrestling entertainment since I started watching again. That stuff they did on Raw last week ran for like a damn hour and had a self contained storyline that served the bigger one. They could be doing this kind of thing with the IC belt too, and they definitely should. They could also be doing it with the Women's division and they definitely should.

Overall I think things are looking pretty good for Summerslam right now. I also like the place Titus has been given here, cos I always thought he was such a good looking power guy and he was jobbing around until this tag run. I think a singles run at the IC or US with him could be good, but I dunno if the WWE would go for that kind of thing. Meaning it's still a racist company even with the currently all black tag division doing some entertaining stuff. It'd be cool though, I like Titus.

But despite what I just said, I think there's an atmosphere that the WWE is at least considering giving more time to women and doing actual feuds not catfight nonsense, and hopefully the black guys working in the tag division right now can launch into singles runs with their own storylines down the line. That's something that I think would make the WWE a lot more fun and playful - that everybody is actually in the mix.

Fox318

They should have had Eva sit ringside for a ton of matches while they introduced a new masked female wrestler pulling out nice planed spots. Then if the audience gets behind her have an unmasking for Eva.

This way you have a Diva storyline of them trying to keep it secret and Eva can get over without the baggage of her prior work.

They should have had Eva sit ringside for a ton of matches while they introduced a new masked female wrestler pulling out nice planed spots. Then if the audience gets behind her have an unmasking for Eva.

This way you have a Diva storyline of them trying to keep it secret and Eva can get over without the baggage of her prior work.

Because no one would immediately figure out that it was Eva Marie under the mask and still shit on her.

Fox318

Because no one would immediately figure out that it was Eva Marie under the mask and still shit on her.

If they gave her a skull cap and a wig to hide her and advertise her in a big promoted match on a separate NXT taping I could see something working.

Her biggest problem in trying to get over is trying to rid her old image as a symbol of bad wrestling.

She's down there to improve and work and right now her biggest mountain to overcome is assholes in the front seats screaming "go home"

Mahonay

Banned
Things have been pretty well. You aren't wrong.
I knew things were starting to lean in the right direction (Kevin Owens, Cena Open Challenge, New Day, Brock, rise of Rollins, NXT women's division invasion rumor) but this past Monday they tied everything together in a way that makes sense that I haven't seen from the WWE in a long, long time.

I don't have full faith in them to still be on track in a month's time.

klonere

Banned
If they gave her a skull cap and a wig to hide her and advertise her in a big promoted match on a separate NXT taping I could see something working.

Her biggest problem in trying to get over is trying to rid her old image as a symbol of bad wrestling.

She's down there to improve and work and right now her biggest mountain to overcome is assholes in the front seats screaming "go home"

that mountain of assholes would also be the ones to chant "Eva, Eva" cos they'd be reading the 'sheets.

SI posted an interview with the Dudleys and they talk about wanting to be back in WWE

Bully only been back in TNA a month (not even a full month) and already regretting it :jnc

scabro

This looks fucking rad.
AAA070514P3.png

AAA070514P4.png

They even had WCW Spring Break-esque 'wrestlers out on the beach' before the match.

I don't see no Lil Pumas at tapings
JvXySDQ.gif

Fenix is THE guy

She came back. The other girl retired. But hardly anyone gives a fuck about either of those girls in Stardom anymore. Kairi is way more over than Act will ever be at this point. And so is Chelsea.

Act is Yesterday's Garbage kahuna
poor act, if there was ever a springboard for a massive babyface run it was getting your shit legit pushed in.

and hunter needs to get on the phone with his chelsea person

Fox318

that mountain of assholes would also be the ones to chant "Eva, Eva" cos they'd be reading the 'sheets.
With NXT tapings done the way they are they could have worked the crowd.

They did a ton of work on a Mick Foley fued with Ambrose and they got that viral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRIIBtmfYmc

They could have filmed some shitty ass video of a masked female wrestler in a shitty gym and then announced that they signed her. Dirtsheets see the shitty videos of a female performer taking bumps then after she does some NXT stuff they announce an Eva match but before her match she gets unmasked.

jred2k

With NXT tapings done the way they are they could have worked the crowd.

They did a ton of work on a Mick Foley fued with Ambrose and they got that viral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRIIBtmfYmc

They could have filmed some shitty ass video of a masked female wrestler in a shitty gym and then announced that they signed her. Dirtsheets see the shitty videos of a female performer taking bumps then after she does some NXT stuff they announce an Eva match but before her match she gets unmasked.

Thats a lot of work for something that really doesn't matter. She'll be in NXT for a few months at most and once she makes the move to the main roster none of the chants will carry over.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Woah, you guys hear about Kurt Angle? He had to have emergency surgery on his spine...

Hope the dude is okay. He is one of my favorite all-time superstars.
I hope he never wrestles again. He is going to die.

scabro

Host: Do you ever get fan mails or like just cat calls in public from people wondering about your status?
Bryan: All the time. Some of it creeps me out to say the least. Especially the letters. Man, they send these long letters telling me how much they appreciate me and everything and I love it. Really I love it but sometimes it's just way too much for me to muster. It's amazing how much those guys can hold on to something.

goddamit duncan, youre creeping him out

chunk3rvd

New Japan just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to buy tickets to NJPW shows, nor will they subscribe to NJPW World. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but New Japan has alienated an entire market with this move.

New Japan, publicly apologize and cancel your working relationship with NXT or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Heroman

Banned

from reddit which got it from his twitter
"Friends and Fan this is a message from Mr Angles Management. Yesterday while Mr Angle was preparing for his travel to the UK for Comic Con. he was experiencing sever pain, he lost feeling in his extremities, and starting to have some difficulty breathing. His wife, Giovanni, very concerned rushed him to the hospital, where doctors informed Kurt that his symptoms were the result of his recent surgery that left a large buildup of fluid on his spinal cord. Since the condition could be fatal, they immediately underwent emergency surgery to relieve the pressure on his spine. The surgery went well and doctors believe he will have a full recovery. Kurt apologies to his friends and fans that ... He will not be appearing at Comic Con in London this weekend as hoped. Kurt is doing well and we will keep you posted on his progress"

Fox318

New Japan just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to buy tickets to NJPW shows, nor will they subscribe to NJPW World. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but New Japan has alienated an entire market with this move.

New Japan, publicly apologize and cancel your working relationship with NXT or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Am I missing something here?

What did NJPW do other than let an older talent work a NXT show?

imBask

Banned
from reddit which got it from his twitter
"Friends and Fan this is a message from Mr Angles Management. Yesterday while Mr Angle was preparing for his travel to the UK for Comic Con. he was experiencing sever pain, he lost feeling in his extremities, and starting to have some difficulty breathing. His wife, Giovanni, very concerned rushed him to the hospital, where doctors informed Kurt that his symptoms were the result of his recent surgery that left a large buildup of fluid on his spinal cord. Since the condition could be fatal, they immediately underwent emergency surgery to relieve the pressure on his spine. The surgery went well and doctors believe he will have a full recovery. Kurt apologies to his friends and fans that ... He will not be appearing at Comic Con in London this weekend as hoped. Kurt is doing well and we will keep you posted on his progress"

one more moonsault!

chunk3rvd

Am I missing something here?

What did NJPW do other than let an older talent work a NXT show?

Just joking since that old meme has to be dragged out in times of Japanese shame. Meltzer has indicated that this could grow wider and mess with the NJPW/ROH relationship though

Anyone know if this could affect the ROH contracted talent that work for NJPW? I know the Bucks and AJ are probably NJPW guys working ROH dates on the side but people like ReDragon, Elgin and The Kingdom - if this all turns sour could they tell their guys they're not allowed to work for NJPW anymore? Would be a shitty move to take a payday from their talent but just wondering if this has any implications

Are you taking about the Brooklyn show? it definitely will. With all the Summerfest people there, the pool of potential attendees goes up a lot. I heard pretty much all the best seats sold out during the pre-sale.

It sounds like the lower bowl of the Barclays Center is already sold out.
Interesting, and presale tickets take up the entire sections? If so I don't see the point of having an open sale if all that's left are bad seats.

somedevil

Interesting, and presale tickets take up the entire sections? If so I don't see the point of having an open sale if all that's left are bad seats.

Well tickets are in high demand right now. Its already sold more than the show during Wrestlemania weekend:

We noted yesterday that the WWE NXT "Takeover: Brooklyn" event set for SummerSlam weekend saw major success with the Ticketmaster pre-sale on Thursday. The event has already sold more tickets than the previous record for NXT, which was 4,700 for the WrestleMania 31 week live event in San Jose.

NXT hottest Indie owned by a major company.

Fox318

3OimmRf.png

No Seth we couldn't stand him not being on the show and the show ignoring him as champion.

But hey at least with you we got some killer matches with Kane as the focal point.

in 2015

A year ago every single one of you couldn't stand Lesnar as champion. Now you've got all you've ever wanted in a champion right in front...
...of your faces, yet you're clamoring for him to win it back. What a joke. The future is the present and it's still never enough for you.
A hapless generation of incorrigible keyboard warriors...I can't wait to visit "Suplex City" on Sunday. One more chance to put every one...
...of you in your place.

full text

Top Bottom