• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They should have put a Stephanie on the cover looking down on the roster.

Like this?

bJNAawI.png

Kaladin

Balor will eventually get a cover. Give him a few years. He is honestly the first guy out of NXT that I feel like will legit have "IT". He come with the ring ability, he came with the presence and that was easily adaptable to the WWE style. Everything that he lacks he can be taught.

RP912

Banned
I'm honestly surprised they didn't put Roman or even Balor on the cover

It would have been ok if they used Regins. Hell at least Rollins despite the fact that he's a chickenshit champion. He is still the champion. Austin been out of the game since 2004, why in the hell is he on the cover? It just frustrates me that WWE treats their rosters like idiots when they could bring a new generation of wrestlers and a different era. Yet, here we are....Taker came back to bring out that "Big Fight Feel". It's sad when the only wrestler on the roster that's on a hot streak is Cena....maybe this was all according to the plan.

imBask

Banned
Balor will make them Rey Mysterio money. I don't know about Cena money.

you guys are all convince that Balor is the next big thing...

I might be cynical but i'd say there's a 50% chance he'll end up wrestling Fandango on Superstars.

Talent != success in WWE

Aiii

So not worth it
Balor will eventually get a cover. Give him a few years. He is honestly the first guy out of NXT that I feel like will legit have "IT". He come with the ring ability, he came with the presence and that was easily adaptable to the WWE style. Everything that he lacks he can be taught.

He has an accent.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've got real problems with people who have issues nitpicking why Stephanie was the one to push this new women's wrestling agenda.

I know that Mr. $1000 Suit At My High School Reunion will think I'm full of shit, but infighting like that just stalls actual progress. "Well it shouldn't have been Stephanie doing it" if this was considered and they went with it, it's more delays. MORE waiting. Losing more steam.

I'm glad it's finally happening. I don't care who brings it to the table because it's so goddamned overdue and there's money to be made there.

FOOTE

I'm legitimately glad that the crowd seemed good on TV. St. Louis has a tendency to sit on their hands (happens at hockey and baseball games too) but they've gotten better over the last few years.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm legitimately glad that the crowd seemed good on TV. St. Louis has a tendency to sit on their hands (happens at hockey and baseball games too) but they've gotten better over the last few years.

Y'all went nuts for Orton and made his fairly pedestrian match with Sheamus (that he's had over 80 times) fun. Plus you guys ruled for New Day and PTP, the best match of the night.

kiguel182

Everyone is better in NXT compared to the main roster. The only way to really see if they stick is when they go to Raw.

When you protect your roster you get a bunch of guys over, Raw doesn't do that except for a few (and sometimes later than it should) so it's hard to tell who is going to get over or not.

FOOTE

Y'all went nuts for Orton and made his fairly pedestrian match with Sheamus (that he's had over 80 times) fun. Plus you guys ruled for New Day and PTP, the best match of the night.

Oh, yeah, the crowd loved PTP and Titus O'neil specifically. Mimicking his bark is one of the best parts of the night.

jmdajr

Everyone is better in NXT compared to the main roster. The only way to really see if they stick is when they go to Raw.

When you protect your roster you get a bunch of guys over, Raw doesn't do that except for a few (and sometimes later than it should) so it's hard to tell who is going to get over or not.

Biggest flop has been Ascension, Emma, and Party train.

But Paige, Neville, KO, Wyatts, Shield, Rusev have all done well as heels or faces.

Charlotte got a good pop at the ppv.

edit:I guess BO is a flop.

edit edit:

Official on the Superstar roster

kevinowens_1_full_20150630.png

Sephzilla

I've got real problems with people who have issues nitpicking why Stephanie was the one to push this new women's wrestling agenda.

I know that Mr. $1000 Suit At My High School Reunion will think I'm full of shit, but infighting like that just stalls actual progress. "Well it shouldn't have been Stephanie doing it" if this was considered and they went with it, it's more delays. MORE waiting. Losing more steam.

I'm glad it's finally happening. I don't care who brings it to the table because it's so goddamned overdue and there's money to be made there.

I think Steph doing it was just completely unnecessary. Plus isn't she supposed to be a heel? Pushing for good change in the womens division doesn't fit her character.

It should have just been Paige calling for backup and getting Charlotte, Sasha, and Becky to answer the call. They all technically have WWE contracts already, that's all the explanation it needed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think Steph doing it was just completely unnecessary. Plus isn't she supposed to be a heel? Pushing for good change in the womens division doesn't fit her character.

It should have just been Paige calling for backup and getting Charlotte, Sasha, and Becky to answer the call. They all technically have WWE contracts already, that's all the explanation it needed.

You're playing right into my hands, pal

Limit

Mic skills are so important in WWE though. And I am not even talking about Punk's level. Just be decent enough to carry a feud. Does Balor have that? Not from what I have seen.

We all know Taker and Austin are the exact same age right?

We're mad at Grandpa Taker wrestling? But not Austin?

Wait, when is austin wrestling?

beanman25

Crowd was so great last night, happy to be apart of it.

Fun story, I was trying to start a Steve Blackman chant between one of the beginning matches, and a child taps my shoulder and says "sir, I don't think Steve Blackman is here today."

Sephzilla

I just hate Balor's "demon" gimmick, I think it's dumb and I know Vince will crank it up to 11

I like it. I like that Balor's character has a boss mode.

But I actually think NXT is overdoing it a little. Every not-PPV NXT does is basically a guaranteed Demon appearance. The Demon should be saved for really big matches only, not #1 contenders matches.

kiguel182

But Paige, Neville, KO, Wyatts, Shield, Rusev have all done well as heels or faces.

edit edit:

Paige disappointed, hard. Neville isn't being used except for doing his signature spots, I don't think I have even seen him talk.

KO just tapped to Cena and Rusev is feuding over a women with Ziggler. Wyatt is Wyatt and The Shield weren't really NXT dudes except for Rollins.

Anyway, the way they are treated in one show and the other is totally different so it's hard to predict those things it's my point.

jmdajr

Paige disappointed, hard. Neville isn't being used except for doing his signature spots, I don't think I have even seen him talk.

KO just tapped to Cena and Rusev is feuding over a women with Ziggler. Wyatt is Wyatt and The Shield weren't really NXT dudes except for Rollins.

Anyway, the way they are treated in one show and the other is totally different so it's hard to predict those things it's my point.

I don't think you know what WWE success is. You want everyone to be Cena? Those don't come very often.

Meltzer talked on the radio show about how the WWE is panicking because they have no latino star because they lost faith in the Lucha Dragons and the matadors are not over and they are calling people following mexican wrestling and they were asking who is good above 6'2".
I hear Hernandez is free.

RP912

Banned
What bummed me out about last night is Owens losing to stf. I would have taken a roll up, but when a wrestler taps out to Cena's hold....a angel cries a thousand tears. I just hope that dude pulls through because like it or not...he's money and could be one of the greats if the WWE just get over it's adhd.

kiguel182

I don't think you know what WWE success is. You want everyone to be Cena? Those don't come very often.

What? When did I say that?

It's about being over and people caring for you. Having good feuds and stories. You don't need to be the top guy to be successful.

Everyone under the main-event level just blends together, doesn't do anything important or has interesting programs or feuds. That isn't success.

TL:DR Being over is being successful and most guys aren't over.

jmdajr

It's about being over and people caring for you. Having good feuds and stories. You don't need to be the top guy to be successful.

Everyone under the main-event level just blends together, doesn't do anything important or has interesting programs or feuds. That isn't success.

So Paige isn't over? Divas champ. Wrestling every week. Two reality shows. She's doing fine.

Most of the NXT guys are doing more than fine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So Paige isn't over? Divas champ. Wrestling every week. Two reality shows. She's doing fine.

WWE is more than wrestling, a lot of people stick to only the wrestling. Success is measured so much broader, though, within WWE.

I was thinking about other groups that made an impactful debut. The Radicalz beat down Road Dogg and Billy Gunn, with Saturn, Malenko, Eddie, and Benoit hitting Road Dogg with flashy, high impact signature moves. They had JR clumsily put them over on commentary, and they had Foley put them over in a backstage segment after.

In ROH, Generation Next had a great intro, with beatdowns of opponents, interrupting matches, and Alex Shelley's incredible (and incredibly pompous) "talent on loan from God) promo. That felt like a revolution, like something new.

Stephanie bringing up the women and assigning them to teams with existing wrestlers didn't feel like a change.

RP912

Banned

Agreed with this. One thing I can say about other promotions like NJPW is at least there's variety in the roster. You have main eventers, you have midcarders, you have legends, and you have the super Jrs (who need a make over). WWE roster is all over the goddamn place and it's rather sad that there's no variety. There's no divisions or structure at all. It's just a huge mess right now, especially with Taker coming back and Summerslam looking like a legends reunion. Pathetic.

kiguel182

It's telling how low the product is when being in a reality show somehow matters to a person being over on the main product.

And yeah, most guys aren't doing fine but yeah, whatever. No point in discussing who is doing well or not.

imBask

Banned

edit edit:

Success : Shield, KO (so far)
Partially successful : Wyatt and Harper, New Day members, Kalisto I guess, Neville, Rusev, Kidd and Cesaro, Corey Graves
FLOP : Bo, Ascension, Adam Rose, every Diva that ever got called up, Rowan, Sandow (don't care what you think the guy is a living trainwreck)

Most likely to flop : Enzo and Big Cass with the inevitable separation angle, Tyler Breeze, Vaudevillains, Mojo, Bull, Dubstep bros, Corbin, Itami (can't speak english)
Most likely to make be ok : Zayn, Balor

jmdajr

It's telling how low the product is when being in a reality show somehow matters to a person being over on the main product.

And yeah, most guys aren't doing fine but yeah, whatever. No point in discussing who is doing well or not.

I thought that's what we did here. Discuss.

Wrestling overall is pointless in life. We watch and discuss regardless.

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/...dead-man-walking-kevin-owens-tapping-20150720

There are just five weeks until one of WWE's marquee events, SummerSlam, and at the moment it's being sold on the strength of a match between a 50-year-old undead biker (???) and a badass fighting machine who really should be doing something better with his time. There is no clear opponent for the company's World Heavyweight Champion, Seth Rollins (where did he go after the lights went out and 'Taker's gong hit during his match against Lesnar?), a nonexistent Intercontinental scene, a murky U.S. Championship picture and a lot of solidly over talent pressed firmly against the glass ceiling.

will 'Taker even be able to take the bumps required in a match with the Mayor of Suplex City?

And after months of being booked as a coward and a cheat, Rollins somehow looks even worse after he vanished once 'Taker showed up to dole out those Tombstone Piledrivers (which, yeesh). Wouldn't it have made more sense for the Dead Man to interfere in the match, allowing Rollins to pin Lesnar and retain? We'd have ended up at the same exact place we are right now, only WWE's champion would actually be able to brag about conquering the Beast. He'll probably do that anyway on Raw, but it would be nice to actually believe his boasts for once.

Nothing was going to happen at Battleground, not with a much larger showcase just five weeks away. The problem is, there seems to be a lot of nothing happening in WWE right now, and after Sunday night that hasn't changed – a few short-term solutions aside. With so many future stars just waiting for their shot, that's frustrating. And seeing a promotion with this much potential continue to spin its wheels is troubling. Maybe we're falling for the same old tricks, and WWE will find a way to make this all work – look how they handled Roman Reigns' Royal Rumble win. But it's a bad sign when, on a night where nothing really happened, so much did…and a lot of it wasn't good.

jmdajr

Success : Shield, KO (so far)
Partially successful : Wyatt and Harper, New Day members, Kalisto I guess, Neville, Rusev, Kidd and Cesaro, Corey Graves
FLOP : Bo, Ascension, Adam Rose, every Diva that ever got called up, Rowan, Sandow (don't care what you think the guy is a living trainwreck)

Most likely to flop : Enzo and Big Cass with the inevitable separation angle, Tyler Breeze, Vaudevillains, Mojo, Bull, Dubstep bros, Corbin, Itami (can't speak english)
Most likely to make be ok : Zayn, Balor

Calling Paige a flop is bullshit.

kiguel182

I thought that's what we did here. Discuss.

Wrestling overall is pointless in life. We watch and discuss regardless.

We can discuss a lot of things but you have your mind made up, I have mind and we've said what there is to be said. No point in going in circles saying "he is over" "no he isn't".

Steph doing it was silly because she is supposed to be a hated heel, but as usual just like Mr. Steph they can't help but get the face pop when its there or when they can do something that gets them credit.

WOMEN WON A WOMAN'S BALL GAME - ITS TIME FOR A CHANGE! THERE IS A WOMAN WHO KICKS PEOPLE'S ASS (including threatening myself, I think I'm supposed to hate her?) BUT ANYWAY ITS AWESOME SO SUDDENLY ITS TIME FOR A CHANGE!

It probably wouldn't be as bad if they didn't have to keep reminding us its all thanks to Steph!! Guys, she invented give divas a chance, no one listened, no one cared about women wrestlers until she said no this isn't right and stood up to the world, and also had like, a 400 day title reign or something, probably?!?!!

I agree how someone said having a McMahon do it made it feel 'important' to the crowd, I just think they're overdoing the ITS ALL THANKS TO HER part of it. Like she trained them or something. :|

Top Bottom