• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats up with all the tag matches on G1 day 1? seems theres only a handful of tournament matches, doesnt that throw off the count?

This was the best thing on Raw last night. Well, I missed the first half of it, but this was definitely the best thing in the second half.

tumblr_nruglqIE0U1sbzhteo1_400.gif

Toki767

The only reason HHH/Undertaker was entertaining was because it was two WWE main eventers in their 40s doing an indie spotfest.

Rock/Cena spamming finishers the second time sucked, which is what HHH/Undertaker another time would end up being.

klonere

Banned
Fantasy booking that has some sense.

Like Stardust in the WHC match right now doesn't make any sense.

First prediction: Austin will be there in a non-wrestling capacity. What that entails who fucking knows because they sure as shit don't long term book stuff like that.

Brothers Gotta Get That Wrestlemania Payday Battle Royale with No Consequence PRESHOW
Everyone else

Winner: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT WHO THE WINNER IS

Singles Match PRESHOW
Itami vs Owens vs Zayn

Winner: Gotta do something with the other NXT guys I guess? Owens isn't getting a sniff of a belt it seems, Zayn will be inserted at the Rumble, Owens will eliminate and Itami will turn up somehow. It'll all be muddy and poorly booked and on the Preshow because fuck you.

IC Title
Ryback (c) vs Harper

Winner: Ryback. I think he's capable of having a Cena like run with the IC belt. Dude is comfortable with his character and is comfortable on the mic as well as having improved in the ring. Harper....well I assume they are building to a Wyatt reunion in full but have Bray in a singles match at WM again and he's a good a heel foil for Ryback as you can get at the IC level right now.

Tag Titles
New Day (c) vs Lucha Dragons
or Gable x JJ if they strap the rocket on them

Winner: Lucha Dragons. As much as I like PTP, New Day are carrying this entire division on their backs. They deserve a long run with the belts from Summerslam or Survivor Series. If they've made it that far I'd assume WWE will want to break them apart to start getting singles money from some of them, as they are want to do. Lucha Dragons can then keep the titles warm for Gable and Jason Jordan for a month. Enzo and Cass will be the faces of the now touring NXT brand instead of coming up to be wasted away.

Divas Title
Charlotte (c) vs Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch

Winner: Sasha Banks. Probably the most aspirational match here but man this 100% should be your WM women's match. Can and will be amazing. Put it on Sasha after a Charlotte wins it from Becky (who would have won it from Nikki after the AJ record break). Sets up the arrival of Bayley, god help her.

US Title
Balór (c) vs Sheamus

Winner: Balór. You would assume that they are building up this title to instantly make a guy extremely important. Owens clearly isn't that guy but Balór might be. At least he'll compete on the merch numbers with Cena, one would suppose. They won't be able to resist this feud afterwards to get Balór really going and lolirish guys fighting. And there is 0% chance that Sheamus carries the briefcase into Mania.

Singles Match
Lesnar vs Cesaro

Winner: Cesaro. Okay so maybe this is more aspirational because I don't want to see Taker Lesnar III at WM32. They are tentatively getting behind Cesaro again and a feud with Lesnar is easily built with his past connection through Heyman.

If they are putting up Lesnar against Taker he's back to being heel automatically (YOU DUMB FUCKS HOLY SHIT) so Cesaro takes this win to really make him a legit top babyface.

Bring in Austin who has been a public voice in favour of Cesaro to face off with Heyman, paying off that podcast moment! Easy peasy, never going to happen.

Singles Match
Sting vs The Undertaker

Winner: So apparently Vince is very very not into this idea but fuck it man who else is going to take the pin from a near deadman so everyone in Texas can get a feel good moment for his last match. I suppose they could sacrifice another young talent at the altar or do Lesnar Taker III AAAAAAhaishdioashjdoa

Singles Match
Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose

Winner: Ambrose. "Seth you destroyed us. You unmade something special to me. I wandered with nothing for a year. You lost to Cena cos lol ratings. This time I get a win for once. I hope my buddy Roman does well in the main event because that's the only chance I'll have of being in it."

Austin could also corner for Ambrose here or ref as well to stop Seth shenanigans.

WWE Title
Cena (c) vs Reigns

Winner: Reigns. Woo woo woo, YOU KNOW IT!

Recall

So for Wrestlemania 32 I can see the following happening:

Cena vs Reigns for World Title
HHH (w/Steph) vs Rock (w/RR)

For the rest of the card I have no idea maybe Cesaro and Owens can form a team??

jmdajr

HHH /Taker is over. Why we talking about it.

IT'S ALL ABOUT ROCK VS HHH LXXXV!

edit: Having a match being a spot fest is no big deal as long as I give a shit about the competitors. I thought Taker and HHH did awesome work. They were the highlights of those two Wrestlemanias.

Sephzilla

Honestly I didn't find either of the HHH/Undertaker (WM27/WM28) matches that entertaining. Neither of them touch the HBK/Taker matches both in match quality and in storytelling. Their WM27 one is okay, kind of paced weirdly, and the match ends kind of on a whimper. The ending is anticlimatic and the whole "HHH lost but won" thing was fucking dumb. Their WM28 rematch is better but it needed every gimmick under the sun in order to be as good as it was, and it has way too many false finishes.

It honestly kind of felt like HHH wanted to prove he could fill HBK's role in those Taker matches.

Recall

The only reason HHH/Undertaker was entertaining was because it was two WWE main eventers in their 40s doing an indie spotfest.

Rock/Cena spamming finishers the second time sucked, which is what HHH/Undertaker another time would end up being.

HHH vs Taker has happened only 3 times right? All at Wrestlemanias? Or did they other PPV matches during 2002-2005 era too?

Toki767

Honestly I didn't find either of the HHH/Undertaker (WM27/WM28) matches that entertaining. Neither of them touch the HBK/Taker matches both in match quality and in storytelling. Their WM27 one is okay, kind of paced weirdly, and the match ends kind of on a whimper. The ending is anticlimatic and the whole "HHH lost but won" thing was fucking dumb. Their WM28 rematch is better but it needed every gimmick under the sun in order to be as good as it was, and it has way too many false finishes.

It honestly kind of felt like HHH wanted to prove he could fill HBK's role in those Taker matches.

When they marketed it as the greatest WrestleMania match of all time after, that was exactly the whole point of it.

HHH vs Taker has happened only 3 times right? All at Wrestlemanias? Or did they other PPV matches during 2002-2005 era too?

They've faced each other in singles matches before, but only a handful of times.

jmdajr

Sting v Undertaker is interesting. Would sting really job two wrestlemania's in a row? Would they UT really end his own career with two WM losses just to get over someone who is not involved with the company on a regular basis?

I hope Sting is working on his hair. I can't deal with it.

Sephzilla

When they marketed it as the greatest WrestleMania match of all time after, that was exactly the whole point of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the end of HHH/Taker @ WM28 even straight up steal the ending of HBK/Taker 2?

Sting v Undertaker is interesting. Would sting really job two wrestlemania's in a row? Would they UT really end his own career with two WM losses just to get over someone who is not involved with the company on a regular basis?

I still want Sting vs Taker but I don't want it at Mania anymore, not with The Streak dead. Taker is almost certainly going to lose at WM32 since it's probably his last rodeo - I'm fully behind my own belief that Demon Balor should be the one to end him.

Bowser

Sting v Undertaker is interesting. Would sting really job two wrestlemania's in a row? Would the UT really end his own career with two WM losses just to get over someone who is not involved with the company on a regular basis?

Sting will get a nice SummerSlam win with Reigns over Bray Wyatt and Harper, and he absolutely will job two Manias in a row.

Toki767

Sting v Undertaker is interesting. Would sting really job two wrestlemania's in a row? Would the UT really end his own career with two WM losses just to get over someone who is not involved with the company on a regular basis?

Yes, Sting would job 2 WrestleManias in a row. He's there to do a job and gets paid very well for it. He doesn't have an ego that needs to win.

Recall

I can see an eventual Rollins vs HHH match once they take the belt off him to finally let HHH bury him once and for all.

I have no idea what guys like Rollins, Owens, Bray, Ambrose or Cesaro will be doing by WM32.

Those nosebleeds have a primo sightline for the Texas-sized high definition screens that are Jerrah World's calling card. You will pay your $64.95 + Ticketmaster fees and $25 parking and like it, friend.

$25 parking is for the poors. Its $60 a pop at Cowboys games. Gotta pay that billion dollar mortgage babeee.

Sephzilla

I could see Cena winning the title at SummerSlam to tie the record, lose again to Rollins at some point, and then Cena wins the Rumble and wins at Mania to break the record. Ugh.

Ithil

They will announce WM 32 as having over 100k no matter what, but the AT&T Stadium will be set up for probably 80k. Still the most they've ever had and a huge number to fill.

Like how they announced 78k for WM 31, a new record, even though that set-up could only hold about 66k and it wasn't sold out. It's just their thing, to always pretend they set a new attendance record (usually doing a number that a football set up can't physically reach so they can say they outdrew the Superbowl).

Toki767

Please no Cena winning the Rumble please.

But he has to tie and then break Austin's Rumble record.

They will announce WM 32 as having over 100k no matter what, but the AT&T Stadium will be set up for probably 80k. Still the most they've ever had and a huge number to fill.

Like how they announced 78k for WM 31, a new record, even though that set-up could only hold about 66k and it wasn't sold out. It's just their thing, to always pretend they set a new attendance record (usually doing a number that a football set up can't physically reach so they can say they outdrew the Superbowl).

Yep. I was at 31. No way in hell there were 70K people there. I even said so as soon as they said it live.

Cagey

Banned
$25 parking is for the poors. Its $60 a pop at Cowboys games. Gotta pay that billion dollar mortgage babeee.

$60!? lmao. Here I thought $30 per for the right to walk a half mile to Metlife was the Mara and Tisch dynasties sticking it to me.

Jerrah is truly the NFL's King Carny.

Raw64life

Last two big 4 WWE PPVs I went to were RR '08 and WM29. Both ended with rapido. They pretty much have to go with Lesnar vs. Taker as the last match so hopefully that will change at SS.

Can you take public transit to Cowboys Stadium? Does Texas even have public transportation? For some reason I can't picture it. It's like everyone gets an F-150 when they're born.

Sting vs. Undertaker will end in a double KO with the WCW main eventers and Attitude era main eventers carrying off the lifeless corpses to the lockerroom.

I'm very excited to join WrassleGAF in watching Tough Enough tonight. That's a thing you guys do, right?

jmdajr

Sting vs. Undertaker will end in a double KO with the WCW main eventers and Attitude era main eventers carrying off the lifeless corpses to the lockerroom.

I'm very excited to join WrassleGAF in watching Tough Enough tonight. That's a thing you guys do, right?

I'll be watching Tough Talk tomorrow.

jmdajr

According to ShowBuzzDaily.com, last night’s Battleground fallout edition of WWE Raw took in 3.804 million viewers. This number is up from last week’s 3.531 million viewership average.

For this week’s show, the first hour drew 3.840 million viewers, the second hour drew 4.030 million viewers and the final hour drew 3.542 million viewers.

That 2nd hour brawl!!!!!!!

Sephzilla

Austin will be special ref for something, I would bank on it.

It'll be for Sting vs Taker

Austin: "Dubya see dubya fired my ass and dubya dubya ee is still owned by Vince and I hate his ass, so hell, if you two wanna turn this into some dubya see dubya versus dubya dubya ee final battle I think I can be a pretty impartial referee. If ya'll wanna see Stone Cold ref this match gimme a hell yeah!"

Crowd: "HELL YEAH"

*Austin gives Taker and Sting stunners*

Austin: "And thats the bottom line cuz Stone Cold said so"

jmdajr

I can't quite remember but the Invasion ended with Austin still on WCW's side, right? Or what?

Can't remember perfectly. I just remember Vince pleading with Stone Cold to kick his ass and give him a stunner.... He wants the old Austin back!

and then Stone Cold stunned the whole locker room. Which if I remember from his radio show..he wasn't too thrilled about because that move does a number on you.

Sephzilla

Austin really should have been a neutral party in the Invasion because he was fired by WCW and hates them but still hates Vince's guts. Could have some humor with Austin kicking the shit out of everyone who tries to recruit him. And then ultimately you get the cool hero moment where Austin finally helps WWF win.

I can't quite remember but the Invasion ended with Austin still on WCW's side, right? Or what?

He was on The Alliance's side at the end of the Invasion.

Can't remember perfectly. I just remember Vince pleading with Stone Cold to kick his ass and give him a stunner.... He wants the old Austin back!

and then Stone Cold stunned the whole locker room. Which if I remember from his radio show..he wasn't too thrilled about because that move does a number on you.

That whole segment + the return of The Rattlesnake was honestly a really cool moment.

Austin was WCW till the end, yeah, Angle turned on him to win for WWF if I remember right.

I'm on another WWE downer. I hate it, cause it makes me feel like a smarky cunt for feeling "The guy I like didn't win, fuck this". The stuff from the Meltz isn't exactly helping my fears, and it makes me fear for the rest of NXT as well. Shit sucks. At least PROGRESS is only 5 days away to cheer me up.

Matches that could fill 70k+ legit for WM's main event:

HBK VS Rock

HBK VS Austin II

Thats it.

Mania doesn't have trouble selling out 70k, do they? But I'd argue HBK's name doesn't draw shit outside of the pro-wrestling fan base, though I haven't seen the numbers for his hunting show.

Top Bottom