• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When you were presented as a star during the brand split era, and then given shit all to do after it ended, I think I would complain a lot too. Especially after they take away your only shot at getting a top title by combining the two world titles in the company.

Nah, you don't seem like the complaining type. Ziggler is far worse.

No, you don't. But when you do, ask Cesaro or Ziggler what happens. Ask Bryan what happens when you DON'T complain. He just seemed to go along with everything and now he possibly doesn't even have a future wrestling.

That's the mindset of these people from what I can tell. If you complain, you get punished, if you don't complain enough, you could get hurt. "it's a brutal sport anywhere" is a terrible excuse, because it doesn't HAVE to be a brutal sport. There are plenty of ways to change it and make it safe for the performers.

Oh dude what a cop out, Bryan is in the state he's in currently more because of his time on the indies than his time in WWE. You can't wrestle 40 minutes plus a night kicking the crap out of each other for 10 years. Love the guy but his time in ROH/Japan is to blame. His matches with McGuinness, KENTA, Morishima and Joe were all just sickening.

There's a three way match with KENTA, Joe and Bryan that was so stiff in ROH that Joe burst his eardrum and the other two both left with concussions. I don't want to see him retire at all, but at minimum they're as guilty as each other, those phases of his career.

jmdajr

So outside the health care and time off/schedule what else can you do to make it easier?

The travel part you can't really do much about. And if you want to stay hot and move merch you can't be sitting at home.

Toki767

So outside the health care and time off/schedule what else can you do to make it easier?

The travel part you can't really do much about. And if you want to stay hot and move merch you can't be sitting at home.

You could always be like Cena and have a huge bus.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The schedule is everything about it that is bad for your health. They need a rotating roster.

I have this feeling that in the next few years we'll find out that Cena is completely fucked in the head from how long he's been doing it, and WWE has just done a good job of covering it up.

Barrage

Oh dude what a cop out, Bryan is in the state he's in currently more because of his time on the indies than his time in WWE. You can't wrestle 40 minutes plus a night kicking the crap out of each other for 10 years. Love the guy but his time in ROH/Japan is to blame. His matches with McGuinness, KENTA, Morishima and Joe were all just sickening.

There's a three way match with KENTA, Joe and Bryan that was so stiff in ROH that Joe burst his eardrum and the other two both left with concussions. I don't want to see him retire at all, but at minimum they're as guilty as each other, those phases of his career.

Exactly. Blaming WWE for Bryan's injuries is shortsighted and biased. It was the grossest thing from the IWC this year.

" PUSH BRYAN VS LESNAR AT WM YOU FUCKING IDIOTS DUMB VINCE"

2 months later...

"WHY'D THEY BRING BRYAN BACK WHY'D THEY PUT HIM IN THAT LADDER MATCH DUMB VINCE"

When it was the Smackdown match that reggravated his indie injuries. Get the fuck outta here.

Sephzilla

WWE needs a lighter schedule and needs a one or two month off season.

I have this feeling that in the next few years we'll find out that Cena is completely fucked in the head from how long he's been doing it, and WWE has just done a good job of covering it up.

That or Cena is fueled by an insane amount of drugs.

Penguin

WWE needs a lighter schedule and needs a one or two month off season.

I always said they have a deep enough roster to rotate wrestlers out for a few months at a time.

Not like put Cena/Orton/Bray/Rollins all out at the same time.

But you didn't really need Orton around post-Mania.

Same with Bray post-Taker feud.

Bring em back for SummerSlam... keeps characters and match-up fresh as well.

Exactly. Blaming WWE for Bryan's injuries is shortsighted and biased. It was the grossest thing from the IWC this year.

" PUSH BRYAN VS LESNAR AT WM YOU FUCKING IDIOTS DUMB VINCE"

2 months later...

"WHY'D THEY BRING BRYAN BACK WHY'D THEY PUT HIM IN THAT LADDER MATCH DUMB VINCE"

When it was the Smackdown match that reggravated his indie injuries. Get the fuck outta here.

Thank you, you sensible man! And then it was like "Sheamus injured him being rough", what the fuck? He had a similar match with Reigns. It's purely just down to he wasn't fit enough yet. I pray he's okay though, way too good to be retiring at his age. Such a shame. But people just want to sling shit at WWE, fine. But the indies were a nightmare for people like Bryan. Especially when you work the style he does.

Given Vince specifically told him to tone it down, and HHH, and he didn't...yeah, WWE's fault totally!

Liquidsnake, are you okay?

I haven't been on the board much, because I have been so upset since Sunday, and Monday reaffirmed what many already knew. Ive had to re evaluate if I want to continue watching wrestling for the first time since the Mid 2000's. If things continue on this path, I may have to stop.

Barrage

I always said they have a deep enough roster to rotate wrestlers out for a few months at a time.

Orton was off TV from November-February.

Sephzilla

A rotating schedule would probably work better.

jmdajr

Big stars you can keep off Smackdown and most house shows. But then you have press tours and all that.

No doubt it's tough being the guy. I bet Zack Ryder is in much better health since he doesn't have to do shit.

Fox318

The schedule is everything about it that is bad for your health. They need a rotating roster.

Cena doesn't work Smackdown and the dude isn't talented enough to be a draw outside of wrestling.

Plus he is about as interesting as a brick.

Toki767

A rotating schedule would probably work better, mostly because my idea of a WWE off-season would require moving around some shit like PPVs and what not

A rotating schedule would be way better in the sense that we'd get a better idea of who was a draw and who is just on TV way too much.

Also Cena's probably fine in the head. He doesn't really take a whole lot of head/neck bumps. I'd worry for his hip or back though because he tends to fall awkwardly and he keeps doing that leg drop off the top rope.

Sephzilla

I still think they should just give everyone a month or two off. Just give everyone from off from Thanksgiving until Royal Rumble off so they can get healthy and go home and be a family man/woman. Nobody, including creative, gives any kind of fucks about WWE during that stretch of the year because FOOTBALL, and I actually think the time off would actually generate some buzz for the yearly 'return of WWE', especially if it's for one of their biggest PPVs.

Sephzilla

They can come up with some non in ring related programming for a month.

Year in review stuff? Interviews? Whatever.

Year in review stuff plus they could give NXT a bigger spotlight during the main-roster's off season period, since NXT is pre-taped anyway. An off season could give them more stuff like that one Raw that was mostly pre-recorded interviews because of a snowstorm, that was actually a fun episode.

Barrage

I still think they should just give everyone a month or two off. Just give everyone from off from Thanksgiving until Royal Rumble off so they can get healthy and go home and be a family man/woman. Nobody, including creative, gives any kind of fucks about WWE during that stretch of the year because FOOTBALL, and I actually think the time off would actually generate some buzz for the yearly 'return of WWE', especially if it's for one of their biggest PPVs.

If you think they'd ever shut down for 6 weeks you're out ofyour mind. Especially when Survivor Series is still historically more of a draw than the B-PPVs.

I think WWE may have discovered the answer last year accidentally. Remember that pre-WM RAW when there was a snowstorm so it was just vignettes like Rollins slapping the chair away from Lesnar? Many remarked what a change of pace that was. Throw that on the week before they traditionally do their "Best Of The Year" show, and you sneak a nice long 2-3 week break at the end of the year. Combine that with 3-Week breaks for all wrestlers alternated through the year, and you'd have a healthier roster while still being able to operate.

Aiii

So not worth it
Daniel Bryan reading the part of his biography that addresses his father (who suffered from Alcoholism) and hearing the emotion as he talks about him. Right in the feels.

Sephzilla

If you think they'd ever shut down for 6 weeks you're out ofyour mind. Especially when Survivor Series is still historically more of a draw than the B-PPVs.

I think WWE may have discovered the answer last year accidentally. Remember that pre-WM RAW when there was a snowstorm so it was just vignettes like Rollins slapping the chair away from Lesnar? Many remarked what a change of pace that was. Throw that on the week before they traditionally do their "Best Of The Year" show, and you sneak a nice long 2-3 week break at the end of the year. Combine that with 3-Week breaks for all wrestlers alternated through the year, and you'd have a healthier roster while still being able to operate.

Put Survivor Series the week before Thanksgiving, close out the year with that show. End on a high note, go six weeks with NXT tapings, backstage stuff like that snowstorm Raw, and the typical best of the year shit. They could easily fill up a six week gap with content.

Fox318

You don't attain the success Cena does in any field if you're as interesting as a brick mate. That's a tad harsh.

Everything I've heard about the dude is that all of his inrestes perfectly intersect with the WWE. (Body Building, power lifting, and Sports entertaining). It's why Vince loves him so much. He is the Hulk Hogan who doesn't get injured and views himself as a company man rather than a man working for a company.

I think he is trying to be Vanna White. Everyone likes her but nobody knows anything about her so they attach their beliefs onto her.

Everything I've heard about the dude is that all of his inrestes perfectly intersect with the WWE. (Body Building, power lifting, and Sports entertaining). It's why Vince loves him so much. He is the Hulk Hogan who doesn't get injured and views himself as a company man rather than a man working for a company.

I think he is trying to be Vanna White. Everyone likes her but nobody knows anything about her so they attach their beliefs onto her.

He's had a couple of serious injuries, the neck and pec injuries come to mind. But anyway, so what if he likes what he likes. They're his interests! He's a good wrestler and an amazing story teller, and he connects with the fans. That's why he's popular. Hardly 'boring', he can talk excellently and in interviews comes across as polite and humble who cares about wrestling and specifically WWE.

It's either you stay because you care or leave like the Rock, you can't win. It's laughable.

Aiii

So not worth it
Bryan Bookspoilers:
Bryan told his teachers he got a job at a logging camp that required him to work days and if he could skip classes and just take the tests so he could spend his days learning to become a wrestler. They told him that was fine if he gave them a letter from his mom and his boss at the fictional workplace. He forged the letters and stopped going to school. Nobody ever found out and he graduated High School like that. Also he just said "a lot of fucking money" that's mot PG Daniel.

Bryan's book seems shockingly honest and lacking in bullshit for something WWE put its name on.

Granted I have not read any other wrestlers books so I dunno how they are.

I'm also a fan of the idea of a jan-jun/jul-dec breaking of seasons: you can have a top guy that has to do the ppv's year round and the two seasons come together for the big 4 still. Hell you can do april-july, august-november and then do jan-march mania season as two shows or something.

I still think it may be too much of a logistical nightmare to really get to work though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk about sabbaticals and rest periods is fine, but you have to answer these questions.

What do you do about the fan that tunes out for six months while John Cena isn't in the rotation?

What do you do when your merch sales suffer and take a 50% hit? 75%?

What about when people unsubscribe from the Network because their faves are off for six months?

How do you placate your investors, knowing damn well you can't just stick someone in Cena's slot and they'll generate the same money, because they won't. What are your answers to these questions?

Also: regarding what happens during the off-season: this could be where WWE's attempts to ramp-up original programming can come in handy.

I don't know, I agree that I think the off-season on their highest earners will never make it past the board of directors, but there's a bit of room for innovation.

Barrage

All this talk about sabbaticals and rest periods is fine, but you have to answer these questions.

What do you do about the fan that tunes out for six months while John Cena isn't in the rotation?

What about when people unsubscribe from the Network because their faves are off for six months?

How do you placate your investors, knowing damn well you can't just stick someone in Cena's slot and they'll generate the same money, because they won't. What are your answers to these questions?

These six month breaks will never work. A guy has to eat all year round. Your best bet is a month- six week breaks at most, and RAW booking focusing on different wrestlers every week. A week 75 percent focused on tag teams would feel like a "break",even if the rest of the roster is still around. Think of how on Lucha Underground, every 3 weeks you'll see a guy twice and he'll wrestle once. It's focusing your perspective so that the audience WANTS to see certain people, and starting to build matches two or three weeks ahead,soa wrestler can have a presence on a show without being physically there.

Toki767

Maybe they should have thought about these things before deciding to build the company entirely around Cena for the past 10 years?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
pQRpZae.jpg

Maybe they should have thought about these things before deciding to build the company entirely around Cena for the past 10 years?

Bad answer. How do you do all these things with Hulk Hogan? With The Rock?

Fox318

He's had a couple of serious injuries, the neck and pec injuries come to mind. But anyway, so what if he likes what he likes. They're his interests! He's a good wrestler and an amazing story teller, and he connects with the fans. That's why he's popular. Hardly 'boring', he can talk excellently and in interviews comes across as polite and humble who cares about wrestling and specifically WWE.

It's either you stay because you care or leave like the Rock, you can't win. It's laughable.

Except I feel like dudes that are crazy into wrestling as an artform or sport are people like HHH, Mick, and Flair. I feel like if Cena truly cared about wrestling as a whole he would be pushing the limit of what storylines and the types of matches that he has. Right now he is expanding his moveset way above anyone of his size or position needs to be but he has also been the main event for almost 13 years.

I think Cena loves what he does but I think he doesn't see himself trying to evolve the sport itself.

In this situation wwe is a competent company that can build multiple stars not a company with a highlander at the top

Toki767

Bad answer. How do you do all these things with Hulk Hogan? With The Rock?

Hogan wasn't on TV every week. He was barely on TV every month.

The Rock wasn't the big star in his time. Austin was. The fact that you had Austin and Rock at the same time just shows you that it is possible to have more than 1 big star.

Penguin

I mean.. not like their product isn't suffering as is... I mean at some point you'll need to change gears, and if it means taking a short-term hit to make sure the long-term health of the company is fine... then so be it

Top Bottom