• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
New Japan, at a press conference on 7/18 to promote the G-1 Climax tournament, listed ROH along with the NWA, GWF, CMLL, Revolution Pro (in the U.K.) and wXw (in Germany) as its international business partners, and did not list WWE in that category. But those close to the situation note that the only business partner New Japan is loyal to is CMLL. It was noted that even when it came to being offered an international superstar like Rey Mysterio, New Japan nixed discussions because he appears for CMLL's rival promotion in Mexico.

New japan loyal to the worst Lucha promotion. Awesome!!!!

RP912

Banned
Specifically Dunn's father saved the master tapes of six weeks of TV from a burning car, which would have been disastrous back then. Hence how Dunn Jr got the job.
But it's not just that, obviously, from all accounts, Vince is very hard to get along with for extended periods of time, he gets annoyed or sick of people fast. Dunn is one of the few who knows how to talk to and handle him, so that he's always in the good books and one of his right hand men.

Given he's the head of TV production, however, he straight up sucks at it. I understand running live TV weekly is not easy, but his production is so cookie cutter, lowest common denominator, all the time. Even his Tough Enough shows are always about the lowest hanging branches.
You can debate as outsiders what he does or doesn't do backstage for the shows, in terms of influence on booking or talent, but TV production is his official role so you can't fault me for criticizing him over that.

That was his dad who saved the tapes, IIRC. So Vince Sr or Jr offered his kid a job for life at the company.

Oh I didn't know his dad was the one who saved the tapes. Dunn Jr. is horrible regardless though. I always hated the crash effects that's done with production and Dunn takes it on another level. A wrestling show shouldn't feel like a current gen blur effect :/.

Holy crap this is hilarious

When Teddy Long was General Manager, he would almost always use the phrase, "Tonight, it will be" (when announcing matches on the show). Vince got sick of it and banned usage of the words "it will be" when used in that order

Just checked out the Lesnar/Undetaker match from 2002 No Mercy. One of the first times I've dipped into old stuff beyond promos I remembered since coming back.

It was plodding and gross (i don't miss blood after watching this). I think I just don't find the Undertaker that entertaining anymore, enjoyed him when I was a kid, but watching this which is basically in his prime (and he at least isn't stumbling around), seems like his style is just to stomp around and have really slow matches. Any good Undertaker ones that are NOT like this from the 2000s?

NoRéN

Fight Owens Fight
VKQSO65.gif

Que es esto?

Also, does that shirt say "Niño Hamburguesa"?

RP912

Banned
Just checked out the Lesnar/Undetaker match from 2002 No Mercy. One of the first times I've dipped into old stuff beyond promos I remembered since coming back.

It was plodding and gross (i don't miss blood after watching this). I think I just don't find the Undertaker that entertaining anymore, enjoyed him when I was a kid, but watching this which is basically in his prime (and he at least isn't stumbling around), seems like his style is just to stomp around and have really slow matches. Any good Undertaker ones that are NOT like this from the 2000s?

Taker/Hart at Summerslam 97 was good imo. Probably the most technical you will ever see Taker since his Mean Mark days.

Toki767

Undertaker had pretty bad matches under his biker gimmick. He honestly didn't feel like he hit his prime until around WrestleMania 2005.

For the record, Dunn is not nearly as safe as he once was. The woman who recently got fired (Lisa Fox Lee) was the scapegoat he hid behind, and if the ratings keep on the level they have been, the word is he could actually be on the chopping block. A lot of people around him have left and nothing has changed, so the thought is that he doesn't really have anyone left to pass blame to.

Zach

As I always say, and I'm not even joking or trying to be that hipster Data West, I prefer Mean Mark over The Undertaker.

For the record, Dunn is not nearly as safe as he once was. The woman who recently got fired (Lisa Fox Lee) was the scapegoat he hid behind, and if the ratings keep on the level they have been, the word is he could actually be on the chopping block. A lot of people around him have left and nothing has changed, so the thought is that he doesn't really have anyone left to pass blame to.

Whaaaaat? Is there a chance of that ridiculous zoom-in-zoom-out camerawork dying?? Don't get my hopes up, man.

RP912

Banned
You would think the Japan show and NXT being a major success that the WWE would try to go in a different direction. It's like everytime they go one step forward, they take a larito and fall ten feet backwards. The summer of Punk, the yes movement, and even the Owens takeover should have geared the WWE in the right direciton. Yet, they refuse to adapt to change and constantly alienating their core fanbase.

It's going to get to the point where folks in this very thread will move on to bigger and better things, instead of getting worked into part time matches with old timers and storylines that would have been cool in 1999. This is just my opinion on the subject though, WWE is really not in a good place regardless of how the grass looks.

Toki767

You would think the Japan show and NXT being a major success that the WWE would try to go in a different direction. It's like everytime they go one step forward, they take a larito and fall ten feet backwards. The summer of Punk, the yes movement, and even the Owens takeover should have geared the WWE in the right direciton. Yet, they refuse to adapt to change and constantly alienating their core fanbase.

It's going to get to the point where folks in this very thread will move on to bigger and better things, instead of getting worked into part time matches with old timers and storylines that would have been cool in 1999. This is just my opinion on the subject though, WWE is really not in a good place regardless of how the grass looks.

It's really silly that WWE likes to try to ingrain in everyone's minds that no one person is bigger than the WWE when it's obvious that if anything happens to Cena, they are pretty much screwed because they've made him bigger than everyone else by a large margin.

You would think the Japan show and NXT being a major success that the WWE would try to go in a different direction.

They don't think that the NXT/NJPW model would work to satisfy a wide audience that they try to play to. It's the same reason that arthouse films win Oscars but giant mindless action movies make all the money. What is great is not always equated with what sells.

Kojima vs Ishii has been great the past two years of the G1, expect the same this year. Nagata vs Honma and Nakamura vs Anderson will be good as well, also real interested in Elgin vs Okada.

Also, get a load of these entitled marks;

0U8SYuT.png

Idiots.

NoRéN

It's really silly that WWE likes to try to ingrain in everyone's minds that no one person is bigger than the WWE when it's obvious that if anything happens to Cena, they are pretty much screwed because they've made him bigger than everyone else by a large margin.

Don't worry. His replacement is already on his way to the top.

tfjgfjgfdijpqi.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kojima vs Ishii has been great the past two years of the G1, expect the same this year. Nagata vs Honma and Nakamura vs Anderson will be good as well, also real interested in Elgin vs Okada.

0U8SYuT.png

Idiots.

lol wow. I always assumed you weren't going to shit on Full Sail, Boots, but uh...it's kinda hard not to now.

0U8SYuT.png

Idiots.

I agree that tonight's G1 show actually looks pretty good. I don't think any match will be as good as Tanahashi and Ibushi, but I also don't think any will be as bad as Gallows and Tenzan.

Also, NXT doesn't owe shows to any location, so complaining about a show being somewhere else is stupid.

RP912

Banned

Exactly. We all know Cena is having a good year with the US belt, but outside of that storyline...it's nothing but limbo. Seth Rollins got the main title and looking like Tommy Gunn from Rocky 5. You have a goldmine of wrestlers willing to bring something new to the table, but it's nothing but filler and limbo with all of them. It's unfortunate.

They don't think that the NXT/NJPW model would work to satisfy a wide audience that they try to play to. It's the same reason that arthouse films win Oscars but giant mindless action movies make all the money. What is great is not always equated with what sells.

This is true, but WWE playing it too safe with holding onto what made them great. They don't see where the direction of the business is going or don't even care. Yet, they want to pick fights with ROH who been in that direction for so long and just surviving.

lol wow. I always assumed you weren't going to shit on Full Sail, Boots, but uh...it's kinda hard not to now.

Seriously, I'm now fully convinced that a good number of them are emotionally stunted man-children. It's funny, because PROGRESS did someone similar recently by announcing they'd be running shows in Manchester, but the idea that any PROGRESS fan would be upset to see their favourite product expanding is laughable.

Sounds like for a lot of the Full Sail crowd NXT has become their special little club over the past few years and now they're going to miss being able to lord it over everyone who previously wouldn't have the chance see NXT live. They remind me of the TNA Crucial Crew.

Someone on reddit just had the fabulous idea of Kevin Owens making his son fake cancer, call Make-a-Wish, and say he wishes his dad was the U.S Champion.

This is true, but WWE playing it too safe with holding onto what made them great. They don't see where the direction of the business is going or don't even care. Yet, they want to pick fights with ROH who been in that direction for so long and just surviving.

The real problem is that they are trying to be all things to all people. WWE has always had its greatest success when they found their target audience and played 100% to that audience. In the 80's, the wrestling sucked, but they were a superhero show. In the Attitude Era, they were unapologetic about their crudeness. Now, they try to cater to everyone, so they don't commit to anyone. Every show, hell every segment, is seemingly aimed at a different audience. Imagine if halfway through an episode Mad Men, they took a break from the "mature tone" to appeal to kids for ten minutes. It would immediately fail. Pick an audience, decide what you want to be, and be 100% of that.

klonere

Banned

Idiots.

Ah lads....cop ta fuck on

0a7oPeX.gif

NoRéN;172701197 said:
Don't worry. His replacement is already on his way to the top.

tfjgfjgfdijpqi.jpg

Good to see Cesaro taking after Batista in his role as a Bond villain.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, I'm now fully convinced that a good number of them are emotionally stunted man-children. It's funny, because PROGRESS did someone similar recently by announcing they'd be running shows in Manchester, but the idea that any PROGRESS fan would be upset to see their favourite product expanding is laughable.

Sounds like for a lot of the Full Sail crowd NXT has become their special little club over the past few years and now they're going to miss being able to lord it over everyone who previously wouldn't have the chance see NXT live. They remind me of the TNA Crucial Crew.

It must be that British "class" you folks have. Such a posh group of fans of PROGRESS, always applauding!

The Straight Edge Society was truly the greatest and most over stable in all of professional wrestling. Charles Manson Punk was the greatest Punk, "put your hand on the television" and all.

Gonzalez

Banned
That because(I believe) they are.

Gonzalez

Banned
I was wondering why Wyatt hasn't brought out Roman's daughter yet, and then I remembered this magical moment

8204.jpg

tumblr_momtuoccpU1rg89a6o1_500.jpg
I loved that angle.

Punk wasn't afraid to be the uncool heel. Wyatt, and the road agents should learn from that. It's kind of why I enjoy Owens current walking away from matches angle.

Top Bottom