• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

MG310

Kojima vs Ishii has been great the past two years of the G1, expect the same this year. Nagata vs Honma and Nakamura vs Anderson will be good as well, also real interested in Elgin vs Okada.

Also, get a load of these entitled marks;

0U8SYuT.png

Idiots.

They're officially on the same tier as the Impact Zone regulars.

somedevil

In the ROH vs NXT war:

ROH reportedly sold 1,100 tickets for their Field of Honor show that night, a number they were happy with. They were expecting 2,000 tickets sold but The Observer notes that ticket sales stalled once WWE announced Takeover. Ticket sales also reportedly stalled for Jim Ross' "Ringside" one-man show, which takes place in nearby Manhattan. It was noted that any talks there would have been about moving shows to the afternoon to avoid head-to-head competition were decided against, but it wasn't specified which company decided against making a move. WWE actually canceled a live event in White Plains, NY that night to avoid splitting their audience.

We've noted how there are moves being made behind-the-scenes in WWE that relate to ROH. WWE has reportedly contacted at least one venue that ROH uses with the idea that WWE will run them if they no longer book ROH.

WWE booking Liger could be the start of a relationship between NJPW and WWE, who hasn't officially worked with any groups in Japan for years. ROH was not aware of Liger being booked for Takeover until the news broke and The Observer notes that even by pro wrestling standards, the booking is a major double-cross. It should be noted that Liger is able to book himself anywhere but NJPW is promoting the NXT appearance.

NXT stalled everything when it was announced the same night as ROH and Jim Ross. In the end NXT could outsell ROH 8 to 10 times. They should of went in the afternoon.

StevieWhite

Was she better than Dana Brooke?

I guess that depends on what you think of Dana Brooke. She looked like a developmental wrestler.

We should probably get used to most of the NXT roster looking like developmental wrestlers since they've raided the ranks so hard.

The story last week regarding working with AO1 productions going forward was a lot bigger than it was made out to be. The new production people were brought in and while not all, but many of the former production people were let go. The people who were let go were the ones the most vocal about complaining about being paid late.

Fuck TNA

Savitar

I like evil Emma, she works better than goofy good fun Emma.

The matches shows how much better these women are than the usual typical WWE divas had for the past few years. Plus Bayley's music has to bring a smile to ones face.

One question though, they called these Diva matches. I've missed NXT for some time so that stood out to me. Weren't they always called women matches before.

People will point to the Kevin Steen figure as the start of open hostilities, but WWE has been quietly pissed about indies making money by holding shows during big weekends like WrestleMania weekend. I remember readig rumors that WWE was trying to lock down venues around Cowboy Stadium so the indies couldn't book them during WrestleMania 32 weekend. This is just a more openly aggressive version of that.

Eva isn't nearly as bad as she was. She's improving, but the next step in her improvement is actually wrestling and getting experience. Her biggest issue in her match tonight was that everything moved slow because she was thinking too much about what she was about to do before she did it. That instinct is something you just have to get from wrestling a lot. So overall I'd say she's doing well and making progress, but she's still got a long way to go.

Savitar

Eva isn't nearly as bad as she was. She's improving, but the next step in her improvement is actually wrestling and getting experience. Her biggest issue in her match tonight was that everything moved slow because she was thinking too much about what she was about to do before she did it. That instinct is something you just have to get from wrestling a lot. So overall I'd say she's doing well and making progress, but she's still got a long way to go.

She's still extremely low tier. Her moves, the "impact" of what she does. It's all extremely weak. Again, you look at Emma vs Bayley and it's beyond what Eva did. It was entertaining and felt like it had a lot more "oomph" in their moves.

New Japan on AXS was a huge strong success. 200k average viewers for matches over a year old. Because of this, a new multi-year deal has been announced. Season 3 starts 8/14 and ends 12/11 including Tokyo Dome shows and WK9, and the plan for 2016 is shows being aired weekly all year instead of broken into seasons.

TraBuch

Banned
Calling it now!

Fenix wins this Battle Royale to get into the Gift of the Gods match at Ultima Lucha, he then wins that match and gets the GotG belt, which he'll use to get a final rematch to settle his feud with Mil Muertes, who will beat Prince Puma for the championship at Ultima Lucha.

somedevil

Wesley Blake dyed his hair the same color as Bliss.

edit:This whole thing with Bryan is interesting. He is cleared by one doctor but the WWE one still has not cleared him. Its sounds like the whole thing with them being sued has made this issue complex about his health.

She's still extremely low tier. Her moves, the "impact" of what she does. It's all extremely weak. Again, you look at Emma vs Bayley and it's beyond what Eva did. It was entertaining and felt like it had a lot more "oomph" in their moves.

I think part of that is confidence. When you've had it beaten into your head that you are garbage for years, you'll be a lot more apprehensive and careful so you don't screw up. That will show in your movement and physicality. Emma and Bayley have been doing this for so much longer than Eva that'd it'd be ridiculous to compare their ability level. The more Eva does wrestle, the more confident she'll become and the more she'll move around like she knows what she's doing.

Bryan pretty much confirms on Cheap Heat podcast that WWE doesn't want him to wrestle anymore.

Not shocked. They don't want Angle wrestling for them either, and they're basically in the same position neck-wise (the only difference is Angle also has severe knee problems; Bryan has severe head/concussion problems). And WWE can't just release him because he's the exact kind of person that would go to ROH rather than stop wrestling, and you don't want all his fans going there with him, especially during the NXT feud.

somedevil

Not shocked. They don't want Angle wrestling for them either, and they're basically in the same position neck-wise (the only difference is Angle also has severe knee problems; Bryan has severe head/concussion problems). And WWE can't just release him because he's the exact kind of person that would go to ROH rather than stop wrestling, and you don't want all his fans going there with him, especially during the NXT feud.

The thing is cleared by one doctor already. It seems the WWE doctor won't clear him as of now. Bryan makes it sound like its a complex issue with Bryan, doctors, and the lawsuits.

Plus they don't release people anymore. They let the contracts run out now.

According to the Observer, NJPW on AXS has been renewed for multiple years. Averaging about 200,000 viewers per week. They are going to air WK9 matches throughout October with Mauro and Josh doing commentary over the original team of JR and Striker. Next year the show will run every week year-round as opposed to being broken up like this year was. And the ultimate goal is to get caught up so the shows are only a few weeks behind the current product.

According to the Observer, NJPW on AXS has been renewed for multiple years. Averaging about 200,000 viewers per week. They are going to air WK9 matches throughout October with Mauro and Josh doing commentary over the original team of JR and Striker. Next year the show will run every week year-round as opposed to being broken up like this year was. And the ultimate goal is to get caught up so the shows are only a few weeks behind the current product.

Thank the fucking lord. All I wish now is that they'd incorporate the Japanese announce teams occasional screams of "LARIATOOOOO" and "YAHNG BUCKOUS. GO HOME, YAHNG BUCKS. PLEASE GO HOOOOMEEE"

somedevil

Star ratings for Battleground:

WWE Batteground:
>King Barrett vs. R-Truth (Battle For The Crown Match): **
>Randy Orton vs. Sheamus: ***1/2
>Prime Time Players (Titus O'Neil & Darren Young) vs. The New Day (Kofi Kingston & Big E): **1/2
>Bray Wyatt vs. Roman Reigns: ***3/4
>Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Brie Bella: **3/4
>John Cena vs. Kevin Owens (WWE United States Championship Match): ****1/4
>Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins (WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match): **

Tag match deserved 3 stars.

The thing is cleared by one doctor already. It seems the WWE doctor won't clear him as of now. Bryan makes it sound like its a complex issue with Bryan, doctors, and the lawsuits.

Plus they don't release people anymore. They let the contracts run out now.

Really? I figured it'd be the other way around, regardless of pending lawsuits.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's also to do with familiarity, ease of access and the time, money and mental energy a person has expended following the product over the years, etc. People often argue that, if a competitor could match WWE's production values, they'd have no problem dumping WWE, but I'm not so sure that would be the case for most.

I don't buy this anymore. Lucha Underground has comparable production and people don't jump ship nearly enough for it.

LU is by far, FAR a better promotion and show right now.

People will point to the Kevin Steen figure as the start of open hostilities, but WWE has been quietly pissed about indies making money by holding shows during big weekends like WrestleMania weekend. I remember readig rumors that WWE was trying to lock down venues around Cowboy Stadium so the indies couldn't book them during WrestleMania 32 weekend. This is just a more openly aggressive version of that.

Well it didnt work. WWN Live shares a parking lot with Axxess and ROH is running 2 nights as well.

somedevil

Day 1 on TNA tapings:

So far they have taped 16 matches with no promos. James Storm and Austin Aries with Rosita came back for a match.

So it seems night one is not for tv.

Top Bottom