• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
I think it's fair to describe Austin as a balding individual who embraced the bald look.

Steve+Austin+with+hair+Stunning_Steve_Austin_-_Steve_Williams.jpg

As is Cesaro.

Superstar-Claudio-Castagnoli-In-Ring1.jpg

WCW is the greatest wrestling promotion of all time and it's the reason I like wrestling so much.

From the early 90s to pre-Hogan and from 96-97 are some of the best wrestling ever done and my favorite 'kind of wrestling.' 96-97 for how fresh it felt and the amazing amount of variet. early 90s for the perfection of the old school 'wrasslin' format.

Honorable mentions to 80s AJW, 90s NJPW, 70s-early 80s AJPW with Baba, Jumbo, the Briscos, the Funks etc, 90s FMW, 2004-2007 NOAH, and New Generation(as rough as it was), but nothing else comes close to WCW. I find most eras of WWE especially boring. Even New Generation was a thing where it felt right for the time and it relied heavily on one or two guys rather than the overall state of the company as opposed to WCW where I had favorites in each division.

You have my respect.

Sephzilla

For a little kid who was still naive to "the business" and general quality, the crazy characters of the New Generation were amazing. My favorite promotion would probably be Attitude Era WWF though. While it wasn't always the best wrestling, it somehow turned into absolutely must-see-TV for me, which for me is all that really matters.

Hey, I made the Wall of Shame!

Sneaking in before June officially ends, here's my TOD review. Warning, it is very image/gif heavy. It's all WebM, so hopefully I shouldn't destroy your bandwidth too much.

If you just want to see my freakout about my needle phobia being tested, skip to the DJ Hyde vs Thumbtack Jack match.

https://medium.com/@gordonjb/tourna...or-how-i-became-mentally-scarred-458e52da052d

I like how you also missed the thumbtack kickpads until like halfway through the match and also have beef with typing the name Vortekz.
Looks like they really ramped up the ridiculousness of things, I'm not surprised that the CZW weapons development team made the next breakthrough in light tube usage.

Carnby

I'd like to suggest that we have a "you talk too much/man, you never shut up" end of the year award.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how on Swerved when the security guard locks them out the response of the wrestlers is to just react exactly the way their characters would react.

I gotta say, Swerved is the best thing WWE has on right now.

That security segment was amazing.

Also, Cesaro Cena was fucking awesome. So good. Even if Cena tries to do moves he really can't do. Still amazing.
I'm watching right now and it's funny watching Seth get salty as shit.

Rutti

It's pretty cool that WWE streams Tough Enough in youtube in those countries that can't otherwise see it. Now the question is if I really want to watch it?

Fox318

You don't need to know wrestling history to do a move.

Knowing wrestling history might help you get over more.

But times change and WWE has a shitlong list of regs that don't make much sense.

Like not looking at the camera when cutting a promo towards an opponent.

painey

my room mate left for the summer, and he left some cheese strings in the fridge.. so I was like, fuck it.. I'll eat one. Except it wasnt string cheese... just a long piece of regular cheese that I had to eat like a fucking animal. Regrets.

Sabucin

I'm not really sure about Swerved being scripted at all.
Some of the guys like Darren Young or even Seth Rollins seemed to be kind of assholes in the pranks.

For example, Wade Barrett was very calm and he never lost his mind. On the other hand, Seth Rollins received the same prank and he was very salty, and sort of "I am the star of this show, fuck you".

Those reactions don't seem to be scripted, because you know how Vince is worried about the image of his superstars.

jred2k

I don't think they took any notes from the first episode of Tough Enough. It's the same bad format, but with a Raw lead-in.

I don't think they took any notes from the first episode of Tough Enough. It's the same bad format, but with a Raw lead-in.
So is it a live show with everyone just watching clips of the challenges or whatever that happened that week? Is there a version of the show that airs without a host/judges at all?

Fox318

I'm always amazed more guys don't get concussed from taking a bump considering the snapback motion with your head and neck.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm not really sure about Swerved being scripted at all.
Some of the guys like Darren Young or even Seth Rollins seemed to be kind of assholes in the pranks.

For example, Wade Barrett was very calm and he never lost his mind. On the other hand, Seth Rollins received the same prank and he was very salty, and sort of "I am the star of this show, fuck you".

Those reactions don't seem to be scripted, because you know how Vince is worried about the image of his superstars.
All I'm getting from this post is that Seth is the only motherfucker in the double E who still cares about kayfabe.

jred2k

So is it a live show with everyone just watching clips of the challenges or whatever that happened that week? Is there a version of the show that airs without a host/judges at all?

Three judges, two hosts, and a small live studio audience watch clips of challenges from the week. Then the judges have like five minutes of input before a fan vote that takes place during the last commercial break and then someone is eliminated.

Zach

So, here's a pretty general question, but what's your favorite promotion from all time? And if you do have one, any particular years you absolutely LOVED?

I gotta admit though, WCW in 1996 or 1997...that was some incredible shit. That might just be my favorite.

WCW is the greatest wrestling promotion of all time and it's the reason I like wrestling so much.

From the early 90s to pre-Hogan and from 96-97 are some of the best wrestling ever done and my favorite 'kind of wrestling.' 96-97 for how fresh it felt and the amazing amount of variet. early 90s for the perfection of the old school 'wrasslin' format.

Early 90s wcw.

WCW cruiserweight era.

I'm with Datazord on this one, WCW will forever be THE wrestling federation in my view.

WCW for me because that promotion really got me into professional wrestling. I remember seeing my first wargames and went like damn...this is amazing. I used this metal thing that carries paper as a wargames cage match for my toys. Honestly, when the promotion died, so did my heart for wrestling. I found myself not even giving a shit after the inVasion. It took ECW ONS 05/06 for me to even give a damn about wrestling. To this very day, no promotion will never come close to capturing my heart like WCW.

Bottom line:

GOAT Wrestling Pormotion- WCW

I came back into wrestling with WCW right after Bash at the Beach 1996, so WCW from then until probably 1998 would rank up there.\.

Brothers!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Three judges, two hosts, and a small live studio audience watch clips of challenges from the week. Then the judges have like five minutes of input before a fan vote that takes place during the last commercial break and then someone is eliminated.
The format is all fucked up, they somehow managed to make the show as uninteresting as possible.

Ultratech

WHERE'S THE GODDAMNED SUBTITLE

July Wrasslin' |OT| We Ran Out of Money for a Subtitle
July Wrasslin' |OT| *insert subtitle here*
July Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Battleground, it's all Fun and Games!
July Wrasslin' |OT| More Longevity and Originality than TNA
July Wrasslin' |OT| The Beasts in the East

Yeah, it bothers me too. :\

my favorite fed might be brand split WWE, like 2001-2005, from WMX7 through 20, so many storylines that felt like they were goign on for years behind the scenes all had payoffs in this era. Stone Cold wrapped up, HBK came back and learned to be less lame,the Radicalz proved everyone wrong, tag team wrestling became huge, smackdown six, orton and cena start, HHH comes back. Goldberg fights people in WWE, Hogan comes back.

If the monday night wars were a real battle, this era might just be Vahalla~

Top Bottom