• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Zach

It's written in the fucking stars, another real world champion angle, only slightly tweaked. Face versus face. Same finisher. They even wrote Starrcade perfectly to introduce the feud, oh hey thanks for saving me from that quick count oh wait you did it so we can prove who really is the best/real world's champion. Instead that kinda happens but delayed so that Sting loses all his heat, the NWO is almost as strong as ever, and Bret is the worst developed heel of all time, with a look in his eyes like he made a gigantic mistake.
And even if Sting wasn't in great shape (I think I read that Hogan said that; dude looked great to me), he would've entered a feud with Bret Hart. You don't think Bret Hart, with a chip on his shoulder, immediately chasing the title, wouldn't have put on some classics with the Stinger? C'maaaah.

Cagey

Banned
Tough Enough needs to have a full hour of the show itself and then a 30 minute voting special. The format now is a truncated mess. I forgot Sara existed until the end of the episode.

Bowser

SD

* The show started with an in-ring promo from Seth Rollins with J&J Security and a RAW recap. Rollins vs. Roman Reigns is announced for the main event and Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt is also announced. Ambrose interrupts and Rollins makes his match for right now

* Bray Wyatt defeated Dean Ambrose clean

* Mark Henry vs. Ryback was announced for later

* Adam Rose attempts to cut a promo but he's interrupted by King R-Truth. Truth defeats him by pinfall

* Mark Henry is upset and comes out to cut a promo on Ryback. Ryback wins their match by pinfall after Shellshocked

* Brie Bella defeated Naomi with help from Alicia Fox

* The Prime Time Players defeated The Ascension in a non-title match

* Rusev comes out to cut a promo on Dolph Ziggler and Lana

* Seth Rollins cut a promo in the ring saying if Roman Reigns doesn't come out by the count of 10 then he wins by forfeit. Reigns makes it out but the match ends in DQ when J&J Security attacks Reigns. Ambrose runs out to make the save. Rollins and Noble escape while Reigns and Ambrose destroy Mercury to end SmackDown

Wow, sounds like an absolute trash show

Man God

Non-Canon Member
15 months is a long ass hiatus, I suppose. The real reason he looks like shit though is that Hogan was booked (actually for the first and last time in his NWO run) as the old immortal Hulk Hogan. He gets all of the offense, no sells anything Sting does, and basically wins clean. The same guy who just a year ago allowed Piper to beat him clean twice in a row, a guy with no knees and who wrestled about as much as Sting did in his hiatus. They're better matches too!

Fox318

Tough Enough needs to have a full hour of the show itself and then a 30 minute voting special. The format now is a truncated mess. I forgot Sara existed until the end of the episode.

I feel like there isn't enough to vote for or against people.

JavyOO7

I wish we could watch classic Nitros chronologically on Monday nights instead of modern-day RAWs. You guys are the worst.

I wouldn't mind watching the first episode of Nitro next week with the rest of you guys. 8PM EST or something like that.

Zach

15 months is a long ass hiatus, I suppose. The real reason he looks like shit though is that Hogan was booked (actually for the first and last time in his NWO run) as the old immortal Hulk Hogan. He gets all of the offense, no sells anything Sting does, and basically wins clean. The same guy who just a year ago allowed Piper to beat him clean twice in a row, a guy with no knees and who wrestled about as much as Sting did in his hiatus. They're better matches too!
I agree. And it's incredible, really. Sting/Hogan was probably my most anticipated match of all time. That was it. There will never be a match in my life that I'm so into. And it was atrocious and so incredibly disappointing to 13-year-old me. Heck, I'm disappointed right now. Ha!

Cagey

Banned
I feel like there isn't enough to vote for or against people.
I barely know these people exist, let alone have an opinion beyond 39 seconds of forced reality show fighting. Watching the big dude gas himself swimming and talk about how he doesn't know The History of The Business felt like a metric ton of knowledge. The whole show is simply rushed.

Why is the MMA thread so active right now?

Aldo pulled out of the biggest-hyped fight of the year for a broken rib while Noble was able to show up a week after 3 broken ribs, and they're coming to terms with the best champ in their company being a bigger scrub than a mostly-retired comedy wrestling character

Tough Enough looks like the result of a Vince McMahon 30 second meeting where he decided the show needed to be as much like American Idol as possible. Format wise, the Tough Enough with Austin was perfect.

The problem is there is no "face" of the show, no Simon Cowell, no Adam Levine vs. Blake Shelton, etc. If you don't have that, you need to go all in with the actual contestants and they sure as hell are not doing that.

Aldo pulled out of the biggest-hyped fight of the year for a broken rib while Noble was able to show up a week after 3 broken ribs, and they're coming to terms with the best champ in their company being a bigger scrub than a mostly-retired comedy wrestling character

You mean that press conference in Ireland was all for nothing now?

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Sport still is in dire need of real star power for the 40 billion fights they put on.

You mean that press conference in Ireland was all for nothing now?

They did 6 months of ads, TV show hype, plugs, and Youtube videos and pressers streams, all for nothing. There's a replacement fighting Conor, but people legit booked international flights and hotel stays just to see Aldo fight their boy. Fans lost thousands, and the company lost at least a few million, all for nothing.

Sport still is in dire need of real star power for the 40 billion fights they put on.

That's another thing. In 2 weeks, they have a full week where there's 4 events (1 of which is a PPV), and as much as I like the sport for the life of me I can't fully recommend seeing anything but the PPV. And there's a fifth event the week after that!

I know they have like a roster of 300+ at this point but come on, pacing yourself ain't bad. Jeeeezus and we thought 2 2-week PPVs in a month were bad

Heel

Welcome to 2012. MMA thread is now for laughing at the UFC's misfortune as we await its inevitable dark age.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Welcome to 2012. MMA thread is now for laughing at the UFC's misfortune as we await its inevitable dark age.

So what is the better bleak future?

It ending up like boxing, fixed at the highest level with one big fight every few years (that still won't draw as well as boxing because it doesn't have that prestige)

or

ends up as pro wrestling with strict time limits in a cage.

Gonzalez

Banned
Tough Enough looks like the result of a Vince McMahon 30 second meeting where he decided the show needed to be as much like American Idol as possible. Format wise, the Tough Enough with Austin was perfect.

I wish they would bring back the one that was trying to be MTV's The Real World. Not this Big Brother/American Idol crap we see today.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I want NXT (Reality Show Era)/Tough Enough Challenge. Tough Enough will be the new feeder system ala Real World to the real Challenge.

Heel

So what is the better bleak future?

It ending up like boxing, fixed at the highest level with one big fight every few years (that still won't draw as well as boxing because it doesn't have that prestige)

or

ends up as pro wrestling with strict time limits in a cage.

Viacom buys UFC when the bottom falls out, Scott Coker takes us back to the basics. It's not sport, its spectacle. Human cockfighting with washed out pro wrestlers, athletes and celebrities.

I thought we were livin' it.

This ain't even the darkest timeline yet, friend.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I kinda dug the X Division "No Limits Because we're treated as an underground human cock fight" era of UFC. 110 pound Martial Artist versus 600 pound too fat for sumo dude. Ready FIGHT!

DMczaf

severnnwa.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dan Severn will always be remembered for two things, neither of which are related very much to his WWF career.

1. His theme song is awesome.
2. While he is actually a nice guy he's also so fucking weird that he's the only person I've ever heard cutting a promo that made a competitor seriously sound like the classic nice quiet serial killer who murdered 400 people up and down the coast. Someone should have sent Sam Shaw the complete promo works of The Beast.

Alucard

Banned
Just watched Cena vs. Cesaro. So good. Cena whipping out the Canadian Destroyer was pretty rad.

Edit: Just watched the Ziggler/Lana segment. They need to stop this right away. Rusev walking with one crutch is a pretty captivating visual, but I feel bad for him and Lana in real life here.

dream

Dan Severn will always be remembered for two things, neither of which are related very much to his WWF career.

1. His theme song is awesome.
2. While he is actually a nice guy he's also so fucking weird that he's the only person I've ever heard cutting a promo that made a competitor seriously sound like the classic nice quiet serial killer who murdered 400 people up and down the coast. Someone should have sent Sam Shaw the complete promo works of The Beast.

3. Trained for UFC 4 by having Al Snow throw slow hooks while he ducked them.

jred2k

I just watched the Owen/Shamrock fight in the Hart Dungeon earlier tonight. What a weird thing that was. I can't imagine how dead a modern crowd would be if they took twelve minutes out of a PPV to show a match via satellite.

It felt like a precursor to those weird apartment wrestling matches BronsonLee likes to film.

Top Bottom