• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
VSULcu7.jpg

Wow, this is really great.

Sephzilla

This place used to be cool, but certain people have made it not cool. I've toyed with leaving before, but fuck it. You guys hate on everything and let gimmick posters run the community.

It's time I find somewhere I can actually discuss wrestling, not whose fat or not and whatever the meme of the day is.

:(

On the days when there's actually wrestling, wrestling gets discussed quite a bit.

klonere

Banned
Congrats, pal. Whatcha doin?

Marketing Executive will be my official title. I'm going to lie with a smile on my face which is about as close to prowrestling I'll ever get.

good luck

just remember to wear a WWE Superstar T-Shirt and mention the number of twitter followers WWE has.

I'm going to wear the Becky Lynch one that implies I beat women. Both very Irish things.

Raw ratings

Well that's alarming. When is Cena getting hotshotted back into the title picture?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's brutal.

The June 30th event last year was the day after Money in the Bank that had a ladder match for the championship vacated by D Brine. This is a random Raw in the middle of a 5 week stretch between PPVs - its the straightforward equivalent of a recap episode in the middle of an anime series or a clip show in a sitcom.

At least that's what I assume. The product seems basically the same as it was last year outside of some super cringeworthy shit with Rusev right now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, here's a pretty general question, but what's your favorite promotion from all time? And if you do have one, any particular years you absolutely LOVED?

I can ride hard with the nostalgia on the late 80s WWF. That shit always, ALWAYS hits me in the heart and despite most of the matches being dogshit, the atmosphere is what I loved most, along with the characters.

I gotta admit though, WCW in 1996 or 1997...that was some incredible shit. That might just be my favorite.

I really loved NJPW in 2011, that was a hell of a year, then it just ramped up even more. 2012 was also a banner year. I got a lot out of AJPW in 1987, but I didn't see it as a kid. I still really appreciated it.

Honorable mention to Wrestling Society X. Lots of stupid fun that'll never happen again.

kiguel182

I gotta say, Swerved is the best thing WWE has on right now.

That security segment was amazing.

Also, Cesaro Cena was fucking awesome. So good. Even if Cena tries to do moves he really can't do. Still amazing.

somedevil

Raw ratings

Here the thing when pushing new talent your going to have growing pains before people catch on.

The problem though is that the Authority needs to disband or get rid of Kane and start introducing new talent into the Main event.

Its just gotten stale. They need brock to get rid of everyone in the next two weeks and just leave it Seth vs Brock.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta say, Swerved is the best thing WWE has on right now.

That security segment was amazing.

Also, Cesaro Cena was fucking awesome. So good. Even if Cena tries to do moves he really can't do. Still amazing.

I watched the first ep, but not the second. Ended up watching the new The List at lunch. I like it, it's basically Countdown.

Fox318

So, here's a pretty general question, but what's your favorite promotion from all time? And if you do have one, any particular years you absolutely LOVED?

I can ride hard with the nostalgia on the late 80s WWF. That shit always, ALWAYS hits me in the heart and despite most of the matches being dogshit, the atmosphere is what I loved most, along with the characters.

I gotta admit though, WCW in 1996 or 1997...that was some incredible shit. That might just be my favorite.

I really loved NJPW in 2011, that was a hell of a year, then it just ramped up even more. 2012 was also a banner year. I got a lot out of AJPW in 1987, but I didn't see it as a kid. I still really appreciated it.

Honorable mention to Wrestling Society X. Lots of stupid fun that'll never happen again.

I grew up on WWF/E and loved 98-2001 then I really really enjoyed Heyman's Smackdown era of booking. Eddie, Edge, Kurt, Brock, and Benoit were all must see.

Looking back and watching WCW makes me wish I channel swapped more instead of staying on WWF.

Only thing that's really holding me back from getting into NJPW is that I feel like I need English commentary to really enjoy it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WCW is the greatest wrestling promotion of all time and it's the reason I like wrestling so much.

From the early 90s to pre-Hogan and from 96-97 are some of the best wrestling ever done and my favorite 'kind of wrestling.' 96-97 for how fresh it felt and the amazing amount of variet. early 90s for the perfection of the old school 'wrasslin' format.

Honorable mentions to 80s AJW, 90s NJPW, 70s-early 80s AJPW with Baba, Jumbo, the Briscos, the Funks etc, 90s FMW, 2004-2007 NOAH, and New Generation(as rough as it was), but nothing else comes close to WCW. I find most eras of WWE especially boring. Even New Generation was a thing where it felt right for the time and it relied heavily on one or two guys rather than the overall state of the company as opposed to WCW where I had favorites in each division.

2000-2001 WWF was the only time I had regular access until like 2008. That's my defining period, with a splash of 2005-7 ROH as well.

I guess 1PW helped as "local" indy.

Early 90s wcw.
Late 90s ECW
Anything From Japan in the 90s

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've still got a gap in my wrassle-history for Heyman's Smackdown era. I badly want to see it, but I want to see it intact on the Network.

WCW 2001 was interesting, but just as a curiosity. Seeing where they planned on taking it was fascinating.

I had a hard time with New Generation because so many wrestlers there had "change the channel" heat.

In the early 90s I watched GWF on ESPN (Global Wrestling Federation, Texas-based, grew out of WCCW) and it stoked my enjoyment of wrestling. I did catch a lot of WCW in the early 90s as well and felt they were more professional, more of a sport. Really dug it, but didn't watch long enough. I think Missy Hyatt gave me my first boner as a young kid.

To this day I'm still trying to work out what the appeal was of Mike Sanders (I had to google to remember his name). He was like a watered down Jeff Jarrett.

People on the first page bitching about the Swing?

giphy.gif

Deal with it, the move's as ridiculous as The People's Elbow, and over as fuck. So is Cesaro, judging by the reactions he was getting last night and recently in general.

Fox318

People on the first page bitching about the Swing?

giphy.gif

Deal with it, the move's as ridiculous as The People's Elbow, and over as fuck. So is Cesaro, judging by the reactions he was getting last night and recently in general.

Cesaro is saving his final form swing for mania

K6Q4ePb.gif

:jnc at the latest observer live podcast. even beyond the lana/rusev/dolph/summer angle shitting-on

Bryan: "It's Tuesday, so there's probably going to be some huge news that makes your life a living hell."
Dave: "My life's already a living hell ... oh, sorry, not supposed to say that."

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm with Datazord on this one, WCW will forever be THE wrestling federation in my view.

I'll also always have fond memories of NJPW from the early to mid 90s, since that got me into wrestling in the first place.

RP912

Banned

WCW for me because that promotion really got me into professional wrestling. I remember seeing my first wargames and went like damn...this is amazing. I used this metal thing that carries paper as a wargames cage match for my toys. Honestly, when the promotion died, so did my heart for wrestling. I found myself not even giving a shit after the inVasion. It took ECW ONS 05/06 for me to even give a damn about wrestling. To this very day, no promotion will never come close to capturing my heart like WCW.

NJPW is a contender because of the fact that it cares about the history of wrestling, but keeps it FnP.

I used to think ECW was a good promotion, but rose tinted glasses proved otherwise. Looking back at it, the promotion was pretty much WCW/WWF leftovers bitching and moaning, while the vanilla midget try to kill each other for bounce paychecks. There were some good things to come out of the promotion like Tommy Dreamer, Shane Douglas, Sandman, Sabu, New Jack, RVD, and Public Enemy...but there was a whole lot of bad as well.

Bottom line:

GOAT Wrestling Pormotion- WCW

Current Best Wresting Promotion- NJPW

WCW is what we got free over here in the UK for a bit alongside out good old World of Sport. So I guess early 90s WCW is what I remember, alongside mid 90s WCW. I only got to see WWF whenever I went to my Grandma's house, or if I caught Livewire.
I remember good times going to my friend's house on a Friday night with the intention of staying awake through 3 hours of Nitro and 2 hours Thunder or whatever it was. We rarely managed it.

WCW 92-96
World of Sport repeats

Then we got a bunch of early 00s WWF on Channel 4 for a bit (Mainly Sunday Night Heat & a random PPV).

RP912

Banned
When I was exposed to WWF, I thought it was ok but rather corny. I marked out for dudes like the Repo Man for crying out loud. Even during the Attitude Era days, I used to watch it off and on, but stayed glued to TNT. I used to hope for the damn dog show to come on so I won't have to keep changing channels.

RP912

Banned
Watching Muta/Flair making me think of the Colt Cabana podcast with Vader and how legit shook he was going against him. I was wondering why Flair was all nervous as hell during the promo for Starrcade 93. Dude was pretty much writing his will in fear that Vader would murder him.

I've still got a gap in my wrassle-history for Heyman's Smackdown era. I badly want to see it, but I want to see it intact on the Network.

WCW 2001 was interesting, but just as a curiosity. Seeing where they planned on taking it was fascinating.

I had a hard time with New Generation because so many wrestlers there had "change the channel" heat.

In the early 90s I watched GWF on ESPN (Global Wrestling Federation, Texas-based, grew out of WCCW) and it stoked my enjoyment of wrestling. I did catch a lot of WCW in the early 90s as well and felt they were more professional, more of a sport. Really dug it, but didn't watch long enough. I think Missy Hyatt gave me my first boner as a young kid.

I came back into wrestling with WCW right after Bash at the Beach 1996, so WCW from then until probably 1998 would rank up there. I also have a fondness for ROH from Generation Next in 2004 to about 2007. God bless disposable income and time.

Top Bottom