• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Phatmac

qR6t7M1.gif
esJZerZ.gif

SD

* Seth Rollins starts the show. The destroyed Cadillac is brought out and Paul Heyman interrupts. Rollins and Heyman trade promos about Brock Lesnar and Battleground.

* Roman Reigns vs. Big Show and Rollins vs. Ryback in a Champion vs. Champion match is announced for later.

* Dean Ambrose defeated Bo Dallas with Dirty Deeds.

* Rusev squashed Fandango and is now wearing shoes.

* Roman Reigns vs Big Show. Decoy Bray came out on the ramp, Real Bray attacked from behind mid-match and hit 2 Sister Abigails on Reigns.

* Titus beat Big E.

* Orton cuts a promo, but is interrupted by the Ascension. They tell him to get out of the ring so they can rise to the top, but fall to the ground from individual RKOs.

* Brie and Alicia beat Naomi and Tamina.

* Ryback beats Seth by countout after he jumps the barricade and bails. Show came out to help him, but Reigns made the save and spears him. Smackdown ends.

I see alot of sense with that announcer memo, but it's clear how incredibly micromanaged they feel they have to be. I don't think the commentary team ever feel they have to go beyond what's in the script.

Some things in that memo make sense, but the whole thing feels designed around a "Fuck Jim Ross" attitude toward commentary. The announcers having strong, well-defined characters and reacting to the product AS those characters is what stokes emotion in the audience, because it gives you tuning forks to gauge your own reactions. Do you agree with Bobby, or Gorilla? JR, or The King? Even setting aside the abysmal play-by-play in which the actual match gets talked about almost not at all, everything feels so stilted and wooden, because everything about what the announcers are saying sounds so delimited and pre-planned. Like, why can't JBL say that someone "has a title shot", is going "for the strap"? He's a former wrestler, that's how wrestlers would probably talk, no? Why can't John Cena "hate" Randy Orton, rather than merely being upset with him? Doesn't it make actual alignment changes more impactful if the announcers make people's feelings sound more permanent, rather than fleeting?

And all that is not to even mention just how abysmal the humor is nowadays. The commentators cracking jokes and fucking with each other is part of what made the whole thing seem more real, which is MORE engrossing than everybody talking with fucking Owen voices when a fat French Canadian throws a shitty rapper off a stage.

Fox318

Does WWE have a working relationship with Donald Trump?

With Trumps recent comments I fully expect Vince to announce a new partnership with Trump.

Vince's Luchas™ will win back the Latino audience and Trump is just as good of a leader as Linda.

Trump/Linda 2016

Fox318

Some things in that memo make sense, but the whole thing feels designed around a "Fuck Jim Ross" attitude toward commentary. The announcers having strong, well-defined characters and reacting to the product AS those characters is what stokes emotion in the audience, because it gives you tuning forks to gauge your own reactions. Do you agree with Bobby, or Gorilla? JR, or The King? Even setting aside the abysmal play-by-play in which the actual match gets talked about almost not at all, everything feels so stilted and wooden, because everything about what the announcers are saying sounds so stilted. Like, why can't JBL say that someone "has a title shot", is going "for the strap"? He's a former wrestler, that's how wrestlers would probably talk, no? Why can't John Cena "hate" Randy Orton, rather than merely being upset with him? Doesn't it make actual alignment changes more impactful if the announcers make people's feelings sound more permanent, rather than fleeting?

And all that is not to even mention just how abysmal the humor is nowadays. The commentators cracking jokes and fucking with each other is part of what made the whole thing seem more real, which is MORE engrossing than everybody talking with fucking Owen voices when a fat French Canadian throws a shitty rapper off a stage.
I think the sad thing about the state of commentary in the WWE is that the only conceivable way its improves is if Vince dies and Kevin Dunn is fired.

And even then NXT commentary isn't great so HHH doesn't really have a record to show for it.

yet comics have a better reputation for selling ads than sports entertainment.

It's gotta suck to be a comic hater today.

Think about it. Comics run movies nowadays, and a fucking comic book store TV show hosted by Kevin Smith gets time on AMC at an age when WWE can't do better than USA and SyFy and TNA is a step away from being on public access. You're doomed from all sides.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
so surely the VKM thing was born out of the Kliq, right? Like that was Vince's 'cool' name?

Cause the old guys always just call him Vince Jr

bunch of big dudes with no personalty, fat dude with personality, token black man who seems to have actually watched wrestling before showing up to this contest.

And a bunch of female models that will probably never want to take a bump and 1 (sara lee) that looks like she might have potential.

Thanks. Just watched Tough Talk on the network. I think Amanda or Gaby wouldn't take a bump. I facepalmed so hard that one person watched the JP special. I mean they live in the same place, and with the exception of that one big guy seeing his daughter, there is no excuse. All of these contestants have at least known about the network and should have made an effort to keep up.

Mada got robbed, but it doesn't really matter considering competitions give you zero advantage.

I love Sara Lee,but gotdamn is she an awkward goober.

I love awkward goobers, and I hope she wins it.

I look at the Smackdown spoilers every week and have no idea how that shit stays on the air.

WWE making buddy buddies with the company that owns USA and SyFy is the best thing they could have done, because as the Spike/TNA and Main Event/Superstars US TV situations have proven, wrestling doesn't have a lot more places to go if it continues to fuck up.

I watched an episode of OSW a while back, and the hosts stated that Kevin Dunn hates wrestling. Can anyone verify this? If so, why is he working for WWE?

MC Safety

The hearing-impaired dominatrix on Total Divas is a nice touch.

Once again, Natalya gets the butt (plug) end of the storylines.

I watched an episode of OSW a while back, and the hosts stated that Kevin Dunn hates wrestling. Can anyone verify this? If so, why is he working for WWE?

Somebody told him a while ago you can't do something for long if you don't like it, and his entire existence is based on proving any critics wrong. He tries to make any negative (about him) into a positive.

Same for when people made fun of him saying he looked like a beaver, to which he responded by ensuring the only images of him that exist on the internet (JPG and GIF) are from technical shots from 2 decades ago. Nosferatu has clearer pictures of himself available for you to view than Kevin Dunn does in 2015.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

They also said that The Big Show is better than Andre The Giant and Christian is main event status. And that Kevin Nash hates wrestling because it wasn't his dream job.

So the Diva's division just going to stay in the same rut until the Bella breaks AJ's title record and then they put the belt on another random NXT person in their first RAW match right?

How much longer is that?

Heroman

Banned
Watching raw and Titus on commentary is amazing, very few wrestler can talk on the mic and rarely do they add anything but man oh man did titus add something , the moment he call out JBL is a classic.

MC Safety

Lots of people hate their jobs or aspects of their jobs. There's lots of reasons to work a job if you're not in love with the subject matter.

Big One

Banned
Steady payment. Various shoot interviews suggest Dunn is taken very well care of by Vince due to family links.

Dunn wants more entertainment than the wrestling aspect.

Heroman

Banned
So the Diva's division just going to stay in the same rut until the Bella breaks AJ's title record and then they put the belt on another random NXT person in their first RAW match right?

How much longer is that?
Nikki is like 227 and aj is like 300 so like 3 to 4 month which is will dumb if this just to spite punk.

Somebody told him a while ago you can't do something for long if you don't like it, and his entire existence is based on proving any critics wrong. He tries to make any negative (about him) into a positive.

Same for when people made fun of him saying he looked like a beaver, to which he responded by ensuring the only images of him that exist on the internet (JPG and GIF) are from technical shots from 2 decades ago. Nosferatu has clearer pictures of himself available for you to view than Kevin Dunn does in 2015.

They also said that The Big Show is better than Andre The Giant and Christian is main event status. And that Kevin Nash hates wrestling because it wasn't his dream job.

Lots of people hate their jobs or aspects of their jobs. There's lots of reasons to work a job if you're not in love with the subject matter.

Steady payment. Various shoot interviews suggest Dunn is taken very well care of by Vince due to family links.

Dunn wants more entertainment than the wrestling aspect.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Top Bottom