• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT2|

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
I hate talking about how scary video games are, everyone seems to have a different idea of what scary means. it's insufferable.

Dead Space 2 is probably one of my top 3 games from the last gen but if I ever bring it up some mouthbreather is all BUT IT WASN'T SCARY. oh shaddup

jmdajr

¡HarlequinPanic!;173396736 said:
I hate talking about how scary video games are, everyone seems to have a different idea of what scary means. it's insufferable.

Dead Space 2 is probably one of my top 3 games from the last gen but if I ever bring it up some mouthbreather is all BUT IT WASN'T SCARY. oh shaddup

Made me nervous. Got to the Final boss and quit. Couldn't win.

Fuck this game too.

Condemned_Criminal_Origins.jpg

Dead Space 2 is easily in my top five from last gen. I adored that game so much. The story was pretty great and emotional as well. As generic as Isaac looks, he's definitely one of the better characters that share that look with him. Not the suit, the suit is amazing. I just mean the guy in it.

NoRéN

Who cares as long as you enjoyed it.

But, i do understand where your frustration comes from. It's like not being able to mention Faalout 3 without the usual, "Ohmawgawd but Obsidian! New Vegas is SOOOOOOOO much better!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't give a fuck. I enjoyed them both.

Sephzilla

REmake is the only one I'd say is actually scary. The classic games are b-movie cheese with hammy dialogue where all of the scary moments are jumpscare fueled. Silent Hill and Dead Space, to a lesser degree, were scarier.

Fuck this game too.

Condemned_Criminal_Origins.jpg

Fuck that game

yeah Issac's pretty well written (for a kideo) in DS2, and him and Ellie actually have chemistry. Shame they messed up the characters in DS3 but that game is still fun.

YOOOOO Condemned is awesome and def legit scary at parts. Part 2 is sweet too (but like most horror franchises, very different from the first).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What I don't get is the notion that all jump scares aren't scary. A well done jump scare is FUCKING TERRIFYING.

Also RE does a masterful job by leaving around notes and shit to hype up the next monster they are going to debut. REmake and RE 4 are wonderful at this. It's like reading the notebook of Paul Heyman. My client Lisa Trevor is an unstoppable monster who wears faces and eats viruses for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A walking embodiment of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. She cannot be stopped. She cannot be killed.

Aiii

So not worth it
PlaYing DBZ Dokkan Battle while binging through a rewatch of DB Kai, that makes me the cool kid around here, right?

You guys should be playing Dokkan Battle, fyi.

I dunno, I'm a bit of a horror enthusiast, so "scary" games aren't really all that scary to me, outside of a cheap jump scare every so often. When I was a kid, I was terrified of horror movies, but I LOVED them. As I grew old, I kinda got more numb to it, but I appreciate them on a much different level. Just like wrestling, I loved it as a kid, but a lot of that awe is gone and the love is still there, but it's a different kinda love.

Hell, I loved the Evil Within. The game does atmosphere so well, and I just really enjoy the writing of that game.

NoRéN;173397279 said:
Who cares as long as you enjoyed it.

But, i do understand where your frustration comes from. It's like not being able to mention Faalout 3 without the usual, "Ohmawgawd but Obsidian! New Vegas is SOOOOOOOO much better!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't give a fuck. I enjoyed them both.

That's the kinda mindset you need to survive gaming side. Some people are just unable to accept someone likes something they don't like. It gets frustrating every now and then, but yeah. I dunno, I loved both Fallout games and I didn't get into them so much that I could really tell the difference between the two.

NoRéN

I'm still too scared to play through Outlast. Game seems designed to give me a panic attack.
I've been recommending it a lot lately. I don't consider myself a diehard fan of horror stuff or anything but, this game! Scariest experience I've had with a video game. It's so good but I did find it legitimately scary. Scary as in play in small doses scary. It does such a good job of hammering home who you are. You are not some "nobody" that somehow evolves into a killing machine in the span of two hours. You are not some trained combat soldier. You are a journalist trying to follow up on a lead. What you have to figure out is how best to survive.

The use of the camera adds to the creepiness.

Menome

I'm a complete pansy when it comes to horror games, but I found Outlast to be boring and frustrating after the initial (admittedly very good) set-up.

It just devolves into a "Run away in corridors" simulator from about 45 minutes in and doesn't really shake itself up enough afterwards.

NoRéN

I'm a complete pansy when it comes to horror games, but I found Outlast to be boring and frustrating after the initial (admittedly very good) set-up.

It just devolves into a "Run away in corridors" simulator from about 45 minutes in and doesn't really shake itself up enough afterwards.
No! You should like what I like!!!!!

Vylash

am i the only one who thinks owens needs a new finish? it looks fake as shit because the dude always needs to jump into it

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I play a lot of scary games over the years, but I have to say hands down nothing has managed to get me going quite as good as PT did. It's really a goddamn masterpiece, distilled into a small experience. It's the best exhibition that I'd go to for the whole "games as art" discussion (which if you're familiar with ANY kind of art history, it's obvious games are art) - but it is one of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced.

As far as my favorite though, the original Silent Hill is at the top. Condemned is close. I have a fear of hobos so it played off of that. Department Store level as well is another planet of horror. But I gotta give the penultimate nod to Silent Hill.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I play a lot of scary games over the years, but I have to say hands down nothing has managed to get me going quite as good as PT did. It's really a goddamn masterpiece, distilled into a small experience. It's the best exhibition that I'd go to for the whole "games as art" discussion (which if you're familiar with ANY kind of art history, it's obvious games are art) - but it is one of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced.

As far as my favorite though, the original Silent Hill is at the top. Condemned is close. I have a fear of hobos so it played off of that. Department Store level as well is another planet of horror. But I gotta give the penultimate nod to Silent Hill.

You ever get around to Silent Hill:Shattered Memories? It's a great experience especially if played right after SH1.

Yeah if you liked Her Story, Shattered Memories is by the same writer and has a few of the same themes...pretty great game if you take it for w hat it is, probably my favorite SH behind 2 but it's definitely a YMMV sorta game.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Im going to leave for a while, this Owens bashing is a little unbelievable. I don't understand you guys anymore.

Well don't wait until he's in shape to come back. We'll never see you again.

oh my god
bJOUbcK.png

I think the Owens jokes may have run their course for me, you won't see me joke around for...at LEAST 24 hours. We're good.

UmnUoHG.gif

That's all, I'm done for a while. I'll still complain but no jokes.

Im going to leave for a while, this Owens bashing is a little unbelievable. I don't understand you guys anymore.

Walk Liquidsnake walk

don't leave, I actually like your posts

am i the only one who thinks owens needs a new finish? it looks fake as shit because the dude always needs to jump into it

What do you think it should be? I think a different kinda power bomb or a modified ass first curb stomp.

P.T just makes me so anxious. It's genius. You don't know what to expect each rotation, let alone around each corner. Such a great game, legit scary.

¡HarlequinPanic!;173403972 said:
Yeah if you liked Her Story, Shattered Memories is by the same writer and has a few of the same themes...pretty great game if you take it for w hat it is, probably my favorite SH behind 2 but it's definitely a YMMV sorta game.

SM is EXTREMELY underrated. It's meh in terms of its overall gameplay, but it introduces a lot of unique mechanics for storytelling. I'm waiting for Her Story to drop on a steam sale before I grab it though. Heard great things.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You ever get around to Silent Hill:Shattered Memories? It's a great experience especially if played right after SH1.

I did, and I loved it. What a fucking ending! Goddamn. A+ story. A shame the gameplay in it was kinda sorta...doo.....DOO.

NoRéN

owens needs a lot of things right now. New gear, new finisher, new things to say, new gimmick. I agree though. The impact of his finisher is heavily dependent on his opponent.

Making me regret missing out on condemned.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NoRéN;173404167 said:
Making me regret missing out on condemned.

It is still out on PC, if you do any pee-see gaming.

All that talk of fudging ratings in an OT 2. You want to guarantee them August high-flying ratings? To prepare for the biggest show of the year - I got three words for ya:

GAF
LOTTERY

Youhadmycuriosity.gif

image.php

C'mon, friend.

What's on the card for NXT tonight?

From earlier:

Wednesday Night War

Lucha Underground
Ultima Lucha starts tonight!

-Falls Count Anywhere match: The Mack vs. Cage
-Believer's Backlash match: Drago vs. Hernandez [fans are the lumberjacks, and they're armed with leather straps]
-Lucha Underground Trios championship match: Ivelisse, Son of Havoc, and Angelico (c) vs. The Disciples of Death w/Catrina

NXT
-NXT Tag Team Championship match: Wesley Blake and Buddy Murphy (c) w/Alexa Bliss vs. The Vaudevillains
-Chad Gable and Jason Jordan vs. Elias Samson and Manny Garcia
-Enzo Amore and Big Cass vs. Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder
-Charlotte vs. Dana Brooke
-Baron Corbin vs. jobber
-Kevin Owens vs. jobber

Ring of Honor
-The Young Bucks vs. War Machine
Kyl'e O'Reilly vs. Adam Cole

TNA
Bullshit

Menome

P.T just makes me so anxious. It's genius. You don't know what to expect each rotation, let alone around each corner. Such a great game, legit scary.

That 'spiritual successor' that's been demoed recently, that I can't remember the name of so we'll call it Scary Middle-Class House, looks like a legitimately good follow-on in a similar vein.

Will have to see how much of it feels overly-scripted away from the pre-recorded videos, which is a problem a lot of the indie horror games have at the moment.

E1iyIQS.png

That 'spiritual successor' that's been demoed recently, that I can't remember the name of so we'll call it Scary Middle-Class House, looks like a legitimately good follow-on in a similar vein.

Will have to see how much of it feels overly-scripted away from the pre-recorded videos, which is a problem a lot of the indie horror games have at the moment.

I can't remember it's name either, but yeah they did a pretty good job on a lower budget of replicating the general feel that P.T had. Hope something comes from it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Brock could take an awesome power bomb from KO. He'd make it look like a million bucks.

Never forget how Brock sold a chokeslam once...can't find the jiff, but he jumped nearly two stories up.

Sephzilla

Brock's ability to sell is massively underrated.

Meanwhile, Xavier Woods and two other people are helping me get better at Street Fighter through Youtube videos!

It's called Alison Road, which just makes me think of the gin blossoms song :$

I think there's a lot of potential for the 'small game world stuffed to the gills with knick-knacks and easter eggs' game type, would be a nice change of pace from the burgeoning amount of listless feelings open world craps we get now.

Top Bottom