• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

Kaladin

Nikki Bella became the third-longest reigning WWE Divas Champion this week, and has about three months left if she wants to top AJ Lee, who is currently #1.

Bella just passed Beth Phoenix, who is at 204 days, and she will likely pass Maryse who is at 216 days. AJ Lee is at 295 days

I'm telling ya, when they start counting days, the reign is nearing an end.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nikki Bella became the third-longest reigning WWE Divas Champion this week, and has about three months left if she wants to top AJ Lee, who is currently #1.

Bella just passed Beth Phoenix, who is at 204 days, and she will likely pass Maryse who is at 216 days. AJ Lee is at 295 days
I can't argue she doesn't deserve it. Not that it's my place who does, because I'm just a dorky wrasslin fan, but if anyone does want my two cents, sure. Awesome. She has been putting in work.

Kaladin

The best thing I can say about Nikki Bella is at least she hasn't been the most awkward looking wrestler in some of her matches.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hey, it can serve two purposes. Ain't nothin wrong with that.

It's petty as fuck though.

I've been noticing they've cut out AJ in every promo and Network thing they've been doing. Was watching an item on Countdown about Team Hell No earlier today. They cut away her parts in segments she was in. Or recently they had a promo for MITB for Dolph Ziggler's MITB cash-in, they showed Big E, but not AJ in any of the shots.

Don't see the purpose it serves to ignore her existence, she stuck around after the Punk business, after the wedding day shenanigans. Sure, she ruffled some feathers, put Steph on notice, but come on, Benoiting her from history seems wrong to me.

But hey, it's WWE, it's what they've always done.

Nikki deserves the push she's getting, don't get me wrong, but this company is so strange sometimes.

I posted this on twitter, but interested in WrassleGAF's take;

1 ROH iPPV = 3 months of the Network / 3 WWNLive iPPVs / 4 months of NJPW World or Demand PROGRESS / 2 PWG DVDs or the entire 2015 wXw 16 Carat Tournament

So, $34.95 for one of ROH's 'big three' iPPVs of the year - is that an acceptable price in a post-WWE Network world, or are ROH batshit insane? Personally, even before the network I would have had second guesses about an indie show at that price point. Especially an ROH show, given their unfortunate problems with iPPV in the past. I guess they assume the fanbase will buy it regardless and that the price shows what they think of their own product, that it's worth a premium.

Without a doubt. Friends, get yourself to a local indie show, and have a blast. Just let it go - cheer the faces, and boo the heels. Embrace the pantomime and have a good time. I've found it so damn refreshing.

Yeah, this. I kinda feel bad for anyone who needs pyro and titantrons and huge arenas filled with thousands of fans to enjoy wrestling. That's got to be so damn limiting.

Does anyone think it's weird her twitter handle is still @WWEAJLee?

She probably doesn't want to give up her verified account status, as she'd need to be reverified if she changes her twitter handle.

Fox318

I don't get how Owen's image is an issue when he's getting over with the crowds and looks intimidating during matches. My concern was that he'd end up looking like a fatty because he wouldn't be able to pull off his moveset against a guy as big as Cena, but that hasn't been an issue. Though I've always felt that some people get too hung up on the builds of wrestlers.

You know who runs the company right?

He had guys like Y2K going up talking about how bryan was the next big mega star and Vince said; "HE DOESN'T EVEN EAT MEAT"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think ROH isn't really wise to the reality of value presented by their competitors right now and are clinging to a pricing structure that they're intent to hold as tight as possible, which will be a mistake as time goes on. Just antiquated.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The best thing I can say about Nikki Bella is at least she hasn't been the most awkward looking wrestler in some of her matches.

Nikki is okay actually. I just wish they'd stop trying to do the whole twin magic angle with two girls who don't look anything alike. As far as I can tell, the Divas storyline is the same as it has been since last year: Paige and girls that don't like Paige (which is the entire division because WWE females = insane catty bitches).

1 ROH iPPV = 3 months of the Network / 3 WWNLive iPPVs / 4 months of NJPW World or Demand PROGRESS / 2 PWG DVDs or the entire 2015 wXw 16 Carat Tournament

So, $34.95 for one of ROH's 'big three' iPPVs of the year - is that an acceptable price in a post-WWE Network world, or are ROH batshit insane? Personally, even before the network I would have had second guesses about an indie show at that price point. Especially an ROH show, given their unfortunate problems with iPPV in the past. I guess they assume the fanbase will buy it regardless and that the price shows what they think of their own product, that it's worth a premium.

ROH is a niche product; this is how niche products work. People who are deep into a niche product will pay a disproportionate amount for the product even if its not actually good value, see also Warhammer, Magic: the Gathering, etc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know who runs the company right?

He had guys like Y2K going up talking about how bryan was the next big mega star and Vince said; "HE DOESN'T EVEN EAT MEAT"
When did Vince say that? I can't remember. must have been long ago?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think ROH isn't really wise to the reality of value presented by their competitors right now and are clinging to a pricing structure that they're intent to hold as tight as possible, which will be a mistake as time goes on. Just antiquated.

To be fair though that kinda lines up with their companies MO

Kaladin

ROH are batshit insane, but they might have their hands tied by Sinclair.

$34.99 is also what they are offering the show for on traditional PPV outlets and Sinclair might not allow them to undercut it. At least that is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for $35 for an iPPV in 2015.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd still like the 'work' Nikki has put in to be defined.

Because I haven't seen it unless doing poor versions of a poor wrestler is considered 'putting in work.' Like it's not even a compliment or an insult. I don't see how anyone can look at 3 minute matches and go 'yeah she's improved a bunch'

Yeah, it's only going to get harder to promote shows at this price point as time goes on - I've got to assume that the majority of buys will come from traditional PPV viewers who likely watch ROH TV in their home markets and don't necessarily know about the iPPV. ROH are barely even promoting that you can watch it online, all the focus is on getting PPV buys.

ROH are batshit insane, but they might have their hands tied by Sinclair.

$34.99 is also what they are offering the show for on traditional PPV outlets and Sinclair might not allow them to undercut it. At least that is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for $35 for an iPPV in 2015.

That's a good point, I could definitely see them keeping the price in-line with traditional PPV so as to not annoy the providers or undercut themselves - goes some way to explain why there aren't promoting the iPPV, as well.

Fox318

This had better happen.

vzENOzm.png

lDpAqSX.png

Brock should play deer hunter

bigkrev

When WWE was doing iPPV in the mid to late 2000s, they were priced the same as the PPV on TV. Cable companies don't like being undercut, which is why so many of them dropped WWE PPVs after the Network launched.

We also don't have current info on how price of PPV affects the buys. We do know that in the 90s, WWE changed the price of the In Your House Shows from 20 dollars to 35 dollars and saw little-to-no dropoff.

And in this post-WWE Network world, WWE still sells PPVs for 60 dollars- with the added bonus of having JBL and Cole saying your a fucking moron for spending that much money!

darkbanjo

NoRéN;168662388 said:
"shaming"

The new buzzword around these parts, isn't it. I mostly write it off as a "don't really have much to say so I'll parrot the word I used around here often to sound insightful.

Hyperbole. Moot. Shaming will join them soon.

Also, lol at "this thread". I'm hardly "this thread".

You know I was kidding right? There is something truly disgusting about the way that guy's armpits look.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Because I haven't seen it unless doing poor versions of a poor wrestler is considered 'putting in work.' Like it's not even a compliment or an insult. I don't see how anyone can look at 3 minute matches and go 'yeah she's improved a bunch'

Its relative to her previous body of work.

klonere

Banned
Praying that the current top NXT women don't get called up for a long long time

Hoping that HHH keeps them down so he can sell them as a USP for the NXT brand (maybe with a slight pay rise?)

But I'm sure they'll be in some awful "women are crazy" storylines in 6 months and everyone will be talking about how terrible they are all now a la Paige

Aiii

So not worth it

You should go on the WWE network and watch her work from 2009 or something, you will see.

Kaladin

The entire divas division needs to spend time down in NXT for a month or two wrestling longer matches and learning new skills.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Diva's division hasn't changed at all since AJ left. It's now just Nikki Wins LOL instead of AJ Wins LOL
It's been two months. What do you expect? Give it a little time and some new call ups. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really miss titles being something besides a gold star that you made Vince or Triple H happy last month. I even hate the whole idea of them being 'backstage rewards because you've been with the company forever.' Fuck that shit. This isn't a gold watch, it's the focus of your entire company. You should give the title to someone who you think can do great things with it, someone who you're trusting in and that'll be able to carry it as long as you need because they've proved they can.

Arn Anderson is only a 4 time TV champion, but he is THE TV champion. Wade Barrett is a 5 time IC champion yet the name you associate more with the IC title are 1 time champions, Patterson, HTM, Rude, etc. I wonder if WWE will ever get it through their head that what you do with and how you book the reign will ALWAYS be more important than how many times they win it and giving everyone a bunch of reigns like Edge doesn't auto cement them as a main eventer to try to 'rush it in' since you can't do slow builds anymore. Even with Hogan constantly getting the title in WCW it was only 6 times and it worked more than the stuff going on in WWE because the latter reigns were about Hogan being the big bad and doing anything to hold onto it so it meant something when he lost to say Luger. Where as the world title in WWE is jsut 'eh ok it's this guys turn to have the title. ok it's this guys turn to have the title. hopefully his merch sales will go up'

It's why the US title reign with Cena is so good for Cena's character.

When WWE was doing iPPV in the mid to late 2000s, they were priced the same as the PPV on TV. Cable companies don't like being undercut, which is why so many of them dropped WWE PPVs after the Network launched.

This is it. Traditional PPVs are driving the revenue for ROH and they need to keep cable providers happy. The rough numbers from Meltzer are that they are getting 10K - 12K purchases through TV PPVs and have never gotten more than 2,500 - 3,000 buys on any iPPV no matter what the price.

I thought they were going to turn the "When ever your ready" Line that Cena blurted out so loudly as the disrespect that Ownes was talking about.

Anyone else?

I like Owens, I like a lot of the new people. Nxt has set them up for the next decade.

I really miss titles being something besides a gold star that you made Vince or Triple H happy last month. I even hate the whole idea of them being 'backstage rewards because you've been with the company forever.' Fuck that shit. This isn't a gold watch, it's the focus of your entire company. You should give the title to someone who you think can do great things with it, someone who you're trusting in and that'll be able to carry it as long as you need because they've proved they can.

Arn Anderson is only a 4 time TV champion, but he is THE TV champion. Wade Barrett is a 5 time IC champion yet the name you associate more with the IC title are 1 time champions, Patterson, HTM, Rude, etc. I wonder if WWE will ever get it through their head that what you do with and how you book the reign will ALWAYS be more important than how many times they win it and giving everyone a bunch of reigns like Edge doesn't auto cement them as a main eventer to try to 'rush it in' since you can't do slow builds anymore. Even with Hogan constantly getting the title in WCW it was only 6 times and it worked more than the stuff going on in WWE because the latter reigns were about Hogan being the big bad and doing anything to hold onto it so it meant something when he lost to say Luger. Where as the world title in WWE is jsut 'eh ok it's this guys turn to have the title. ok it's this guys turn to have the title. hopefully his merch sales will go up'

It's why the US title reign with Cena is so good for Cena's character.

Yeah, Cena really has been killing it with the US Title. It's the perfect spot for him, and he's been having good matches with pretty much everybody, and it made Kevin Owens look like a million bucks when he pinned him clean. Whoever takes the title will look even better.

Top Bottom