• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

iMax

This had better happen.

vzENOzm.png

lDpAqSX.png

I really can't believe that Kofi is going up against Lesnar. Will it be a real good match or a full on squash? I'm just wondering how they used up a Lesnar appearance on Kofi of all people.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
;_; <3

Did you enjoy it? I know the PCH can be a bit cliche but it is something I always wanted to do. Was it busy? Did you just go late night into the morning?

It was NOT busy at all. It was beautiful. Just late night. Gotta work, so I couldn't stay up TOO LATE.

I'm pretty sure if Dusty Rhodes were starting out today, a startling amount of people would write him off as a worthless fatty.

Sure, agree. Times change, though. It's like having an "idea man" with no coding experience at a startup. Why bother with that, when you can have people with great ideas that can also code? If you look hard enough you can get the total package.

However, Owens is definitely a targeted package build for a subset of fans. They want to keep him as-is, definitely, because they're aiming to get that particular fan. And it's working, and it helps that I know he can put on great matches.

Sephzilla

They're not terribly good matches at all, though. Just finisher-fests. A million kick outs. That first match they had should have been the LAST match they had in a feud, seriously.

Oh I agree, they are finisher spam matches. But they kept me at the edge of my seat both times, so the entertainment value I got from them trumps the actual match quality in my opinion

darkbanjo

Flair, Graham, Rhodes, and others would all get the ' oh boy another pointless promo that's the same as last week'

This is very true. My least favourite part of pro wrestling are the masses of fans more eager to criticize 'creative' (hahahaha in quotes because they're not creative) than watch the show.

jmdajr

I'm Glad Cena has entered the "I want to be a great " wrestler phase.

Fuck Hulk Hogan, and I want to be Bret Hart and Shawn! Springboard stunner be damned.

Flair, Graham, Rhodes, and others would all get the ' oh boy another pointless promo that's the same as last week'

I think even Dusty would've got tiresome if he was out there cutting rambling, 20 minute in-ring promos every week.

If you look hard enough you can get the total package.

Sure, but as WWE's own recruitment has proven, the total package is hard to come by in this day and age.

Vince McMahon said:
you can just name me, instead of "certain people" (even though I'm fine with him being tubby)

I could've done, but it wouldn't have carried the same snarky tone I was going for.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Owens probably, and it's Joe's as well, is he's fat enough to look out of shape but not fat enough to look intimidating.
wmshort8.jpg

Yokozuna001.jpg

He just looks like a stereotypical wrestling fan

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't want to watch the two most boring guys in Lucha Underground wrestle for an hour

Then don't?

I would love to watch two very exciting wrestlers wrestle for an hour, but if it's not your thing, that's fine, no need to keep mentioning it.

Cagey

Banned
Owens probably, and it's Joe's as well, is he's fat enough to look out of shape but not fat enough to look intimidating.

He just looks like a stereotypical wrestling fan
If Owens were 6'4 and similarly fat he would be far more intimidating. He looks like a run of the mill fat guy who did some curls back in college. The reality of what happens to 21 year old dudes with Dad Bod as they age.

The "indie shithead" look is a solid way to frame how his look can be a positive for him.
Armpit shaming is a low I never thought this thread would stoop to.
If it's part of the body, it's fair game for shame and praise alike.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but as WWE's own recruitment has proven, the total package is hard to come by in this day and age.

I could've done, but it wouldn't have carried the same snarky tone I was going for.
Maybe it's because older promotions were willing to take a gamble on others. Maybe things haven't evolved like I assume they have. I'd be really interested to see the design document that WWE has worked on with Owens, with his character's long term goal and motivation list. Right now it appears to be very focused, but I wonder where he fits in when given a year to build to one of his long term goals, or three. I wonder what kind of builds he will get going on from here. Just really curious and I'd love to see his design doc.

I don't get how Owen's image is an issue when he's getting over with the crowds and looks intimidating during matches. My concern was that he'd end up looking like a fatty because he wouldn't be able to pull off his moveset against a guy as big as Cena, but that hasn't been an issue. Though I've always felt that some people get too hung up on the builds of wrestlers.

Maybe it's because older promotions were willing to take a gamble on others. Maybe things haven't evolved like I assume they have. I'd be really interested to see the design document that WWE has worked on with Owens, with his character's long term goal and motivation list. Right now it appears to be very focused, but I wonder where he fits in when given a year to build to one of his long term goals, or three. I wonder what kind of builds he will get going on from here. Just really curious and I'd love to see his design doc.

WWE and long term goals

Umdpk.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get how Owen's image is an issue when he's getting over with the crowds and looks intimidating during matches. My concern was that he'd end up looking like a fatty because he wouldn't be able to pull off his moveset against a guy as big as Cena, but that hasn't been an issue. Though I've always felt that some people get too hung up on the builds of wrestlers.
Don't get me wrong, he is doing EXCELLENT right now, but it's with Cena. I'm curious what approach they'll take when he has to do a three month feud or six month feud with Kofi, or Titus O'Neal. Right now, and as a reminder this ISNT A COMPLAINT, but right now Cena is bringing everything to this and it's specifically tailored to Cenas character. What really is next? I can't wait to see.

I don't think the Kevin Owens popularity has as much to do with his indy lineage or position as an "outsider" as it does his thorough mediocrity. If there was any knowledge to be garnered from the experience WWE had with Daniel Bryan fans is that there is a subset of their audience which will fervently (if not violently) defend the mediocre.

It's really no coincidence that Kevin Owens started to be elevated and the exact moment Daniel Bryan went back to get more reiki work done, he was just slotted in to be the mediocre hero to downtrodden losers within the WWE audience. Everything from Kevin Owens' slovenly grooming habits, to his dozen donut a day physique, to his total lack of style is actually meticulously groomed package of mediocrity made to be a reflection of slackjawed manchildren in order to grab a few extra dollars out of them.

WWE almost tipped their hand to this fact when they had Cena introduce the plot point that the driving force of success within Kevin Owens was "Never Give Up", this could be seen as a call to action to inspire this pedestrian audience to give up their entitlements and really make something of themselves but of course Kevin Owens needed to rebel against this idea by attacking Cena.

One further testament to Owens' being a reflection of mediocrity is how often he needs to lean on the fact that he is a "father" or that he is doing this for "his family", as if that's something to be proud of. If there is any less remarkable achievement than being able to procreate I have yet to see it and yet middling losers will always bring it up in order to excuse their own lackluster achievements in life.

Maybe it's because older promotions were willing to take a gamble on others. Maybe things haven't evolved like I assume they have.

Obviously there's a big difference between what people see as acceptable, how far they're willing to suspend their disbelief, etc. Hell, the fact that Buddy Rose could successfully work a 'playboy' gimmick would seem laughable by today's standards, but I don't think we're so far removed that a fat dude with wrestling talent can't be bought into as an ass-kicker.

I'd be really interested to see the design document that WWE has worked on with Owens, with his character's long term goal and motivation list. Right now it appears to be very focused, but I wonder where he fits in when given a year to build to one of his long term goals, or three. I wonder what kind of builds he will get going on from here. Just really curious and I'd love to see his design doc.

Personally, I'd bet the idea for Owens falls somewhere in line with - "he's the school bully who grew up, got married, had some kids, signed a mortgage and doesn't really give a damn, as long as he gets paid".

If there was any knowledge to be garnered from the experience WWE had with Daniel Bryan fans is that there is a subset of their audience which will fervently (if not violently) defend the mediocre.

FYI, the bolded aren't supposed to appear in the same sentence together. Sort your shit out, persp.

NoRéN

The dude has been pulling off moves that even athletic, thinner people can't for years now. It's served him well that the average WWE fan may not be as familiar with his previous endeavors as it makes for a more impressive performance.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
As David Shoemaker skillfully noted, the WWE has finally succeeded in creating the fully subsumed by WWE, fully created by WWE, artfully cultivated by WWE Us-v-Them dynamic that the smark ass smarks desperately crave as participants in the WWE Universe. To watch WWE isn't enough; they need to simultaneously rebel against the system, see "out of touch old men" get their comeuppance through heroes they "handpicked", but this all takes place within the WWE system. Strange.

WWE -- by way of NXT, the WWE Network, and with the help of scooping up dudes from VFW halls in Rahway, NJ and armories in Bumfuckstershire, England -- has its own alternative "subversive" brand and champions of said brand who exist to stick it to The Man.

It helps when said champions don't look fantastic and have exquisite physical conditioning and aesthetics, because the smarks will write these sculpted athletes off as "bodybuilders", which is code for "WWE approved".

These are the people drinking Sprite in the 90s and thinking they're rebelling against Coca-Cola.

And I do love Kevin Owens.

Pretty much. The anti-establishment has become part of the establishment, and WWE's greatest achievement is fooling them into thinking they're anti-establishment still.

jmdajr

Pretty much. The anti-establishment has become part of the establishment, and WWE's greatest achievement is fooling them into thinking they're anti-establishment still.

Pretty brilliant if true. If feel it's part on purpose and part by accident though. At least initially.

NoRéN

Armpit shaming is a low I never thought this thread would stoop to.

"shaming"

The new buzzword around these parts, isn't it. I mostly write it off as a "don't really have much to say so I'll parrot the word I used around here often to sound insightful.

Hyperbole. Moot. Shaming will join them soon.

Also, lol at "this thread". I'm hardly "this thread".

As David Shoemaker skillfully noted, the WWE has finally succeeded in creating the fully subsumed by WWE, fully created by WWE, artfully cultivated by WWE Us-v-Them dynamic that the smark ass smarks desperately crave as participants in the WWE Universe. To watch WWE isn't enough; they need to simultaneously rebel against the system, see "out of touch old men" get their comeuppance through heroes they "handpicked", but this all takes place within the WWE system. Strange.

WWE -- by way of NXT, the WWE Network, and with the help of scooping up dudes from VFW halls in Rahway, NJ and armories in Bumfuckstershire, England -- has its own alternative "subversive" brand and champions of said brand who exist to stick it to The Man.

It helps when said champions don't look fantastic and have exquisite physical conditioning and aesthetics, because the smarks will write these sculpted athletes off as "bodybuilders", which is code for "WWE approved".

These are the people drinking Sprite in the 90s and thinking they're rebelling against Coca-Cola.

This is fucking great!

Cagey

Banned
Pretty brilliant if true. If feel it's part on purpose and part by accident though. At least initially.
It's undoubtedly them reacting to trends they observed, but given they're a billion dollar company, it's not surprising they're going to move a bit slowly.

It's undoubtedly them reacting to trends they observed, but given they're a billion dollar company, it's not surprising they're going to move a bit slowly.

I think the NXT wrestlemania show was a flashpoint.

Problem is what is the point of a performance center if you are,going to cherry pick guys who are more than ready for the main roster.

Seems it's only function is to teach guys where the cameras are

Cagey

Banned
I think the NXT wrestlemania show was a flashpoint.

Problem is what is the point of a performance center if you are,going to cherry pick guys who are more than ready for the main roster.

Seems it's only function is to teach guys where the cameras are
WWE is a television show more than it is pro wrestling so there is value in that, but it's an interesting point: is NXTs value now as a faux indie brand and conversion station for indie stars instead of creating brand new homegrown stars? I think Data noted this awhile back.

NoRéN

WWE is a television show more than it is pro wrestling so there is value in that, but it's an interesting point: is NXTs value now as a faux indie brand and conversion station for indie stars instead of creating brand new homegrown stars? I think Data noted this awhile back.

I do remember someone pointing out some thing like that.

I can't imagine what the actual developmental people must feel like seeing indy talent come in, squash them, and move on to the roster. Must be demoralizing.

Sandow and ryback were in devolpmental for like 10 years and they are only now being used.

Guess NXT cuts in half to 5 years? Like who ever wins tough enough has a slim shot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Being a developmental wrestler was always like that even back in the day. You went to a school, then if you were lucky became someone who got squashed by a real talent when they happened to come to your town, then if you were lucky someone took interest in you and you became a low card guy on their roster, then if you impressed there you might become a mid carder there or for some other promotion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The whole Owens thing isn't really that complicated. "Smart marks" are just wrestling hipsters who want to latch onto things before they were cool. The fact that WWE is totally aware of this and totally finds ways to make money off it shouldn't surprise anyone.

I mean, its funny to believe that Vince didn't notice that the crowd flipped out over Daniel Bryan every time he did anything for the last year or so, but there's a reason why the bookerman shows up on camera talking about what's "best for business" as a catchphrase. Its a meta-storyline.

NoRéN

Sandow and ryback were in devolpmental for like 10 years and they are only now being used.

Guess NXT cuts in half to 5 years? Like who ever wins tough enough has a slim shot.

Being a developmental wrestler was always like that even back in the day. You went to a school, then if you were lucky became someone who got squashed by a real talent when they happened to come to your town, then if you were lucky someone took interest in you and you became a low card guy on their roster, then if you impressed there you might become a mid carder there or for some other promotion.
Fuck. NXT sounds pretty good when you all put it that way.

jmdajr

Nikki Bella became the third-longest reigning WWE Divas Champion this week, and has about three months left if she wants to top AJ Lee, who is currently #1.

Bella just passed Beth Phoenix, who is at 204 days, and she will likely pass Maryse who is at 216 days. AJ Lee is at 295 days

Top Bottom