• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

Ithil

None of them. I get that people like Daniel Bryan, but that dude is one of the most basic 'I am cutting a promo. I am fulfilling a character in the script that you have opted in for me.' Del Rio is more authentic than him. Bryan was the ultimate company man. Vince gave him his promo and he happily reads it.

He's not even close to as 'authentic' as John Cena. Just because you don't like the character John Cena plays doesn't mean he's not authentic in that character. John Cena CAN'T be reading his script to the letter because John Cena has wildly different crowds to deal with every week depending on how much they like or hate him.

But that's 'authentic' Daniel Bryan. That's him.

Cena on commentary reciting his generic platitudes is more "authentic" than Bryan's return from injury promo before the Rumble?
Declaring all Cena promos ever as more authentic is questionable. Like I said, it depends on the promo.

Heel

I think people are more enamored with "a guy who was given the opportunity to pin John Cena" (...did he, though?), challenging the status quo that they've grown to hate, than they are with Kevin Owens. It showed in the match reviews, Meltzer included, and people tripping over themselves to praise his tepid promos.

Just my opinion, though. You're entitled to yours, Kaladin.

The best Bryan was optimistic glass-half-full Bryan, who despite being put into a neck brace, can still see the good side in everything and crack a smile.

Ithil

I think people are more enamored with "a guy who was given the opportunity to pin John Cena" (...did he, though?), challenging the status quo that they've grown to hate, than they are with Kevin Owens. It showed in the match reviews, Meltzer included, and people tripping themselves to praise his tepid promos.

Yeah I suddenly like Steen because he won a match, not because I've followed him for years.

klonere

Banned
Post 1: The machine crafted a character that a certain portion of the audience enjoys by making it feel "real" or "organic."

Post 2: The character is mediocre.

every WWE character is mediocre. There are no "characters" just one or two trait lumps of meat. hell every single diva is the same character. with that baseline for comparison it doesn't even make sense to call anyone mediocre cos they are so close together it doesn't matter.

I think people are more enamored with "a guy who was given the opportunity to pin John Cena" (...did he, though?), challenging the status quo that they've grown to hate, than they are with Kevin Owens. It showed in the match reviews, Meltzer included, and people tripping over themselves to praise his tepid promos.

Nah, can't be the simple fact he's beating the shit out of Cena. I'm on board with the unthinkably supercilious 1,000 word conspiracy theory.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I suddenly like Steen because he won a match, not because I've followed him for years.

lol this dude right here would be perfect for any racism discussions. Hilarious.

For what it's worth HEEL-SAN, Tensai pinned Cena clean on his re-debut and didn't get this. He looked a lot different from his audience...coincidence?

Heel

Did you find Owens' RAW debut to be an instant 5 star classic, and his sit-down interview with Michael Cole to be an "amazing promo"? It's Daniel Bryan levels of hyperbole, likely driven by that same "I've followed him for years" elitism.

Ithil

Did you find Owens' RAW debut to be an instant 5 star classic, and his sit-down interview with Michael Cole to be an "amazing promo"? It's Daniel Bryan levels of hyperbole, likely driven by that same "I've followed him for years" elitism.

Where has anyone said anything like this?

lol this dude right here would be perfect for any racism discussions. Hilarious.

For what it's worth HEEL-SAN, Tensai pinned Cena clean on his re-debut and didn't get this. He looked a lot different from his audience...coincidence?

Tensai didn't get a following because he sucked.

klonere

Banned

I thought his sit downs with Cole to be great, his PPV matches with Cena have been very entertaining if overly reliant on hitting big moves into 2.9 counts.

His style of delivery lends itself to feel much less scripted than the majority of the roster so I guess that's where the "authenticity" comes from.

And I've never seen a Steen match beyond a clip of a package piledriver through some tables.

Kaladin

Have you ever watched a wrestler come from humble beginnings, wrestling for crowds of less than 50 rise to be a WWE champion?

It's a hell of a journey when you watch someone like Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens or Daniel Bryan, and you know they are that damn good and you see them achieve everything.

klonere

Banned
Guys I'm scared, Sasha Banks hasn't been on NXT since the special and Paige is getting the shit beat out of her by the Bellas + other divas that randomly team with the Bellas.

I don't want Sasha on the main roster ;;;;;

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I'm scared, Sasha Banks hasn't been on NXT since the special and Paige is getting the shit beat out of her by the Bellas + other divas that randomly team with the Bellas.

Why not? She'll do wonderfully and deserves a chance considering her body of work.

Someone reported that her boyfriend was hurt at the tapings so she was with him at the hospital. Wait for tonight to confirm a throng.(tho I do think someone is getting called up, probably charolotte)

klonere

Banned
Have you ever watched a wrestler come from humble beginnings, wrestling for crowds of less than 50 rise to be a WWE champion?

It's a hell of a journey when you watch someone like Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens or Daniel Bryan, and you know they are that damn good and you see them achieve everything.

this is where the backlash against smarks who won't cheer for people they perceive haven't "paid their dues" or whatever the term is. like if Reigns had been an indy guy killing himself on the circuit for years he wouldn't have gotten the vociferous reaction he did

he'd probably also be a good wrestler

Heel

I began replying to everyone in complete confidence, but I erased it, realizing I should just be more accepting of your differing opinions. The humbling truth? Even I once enjoyed Bray Wyatt. We all make mistakes.

Kaladin

this is where the backlash against smarks who won't cheer for people they perceive haven't "paid their dues" or whatever the term is. like if Reigns had been an indy guy killing himself on the circuit for years he wouldn't have gotten the vociferous reaction he did

he'd probably also be a good wrestler

I give wrestlers like that a chance....hell, every now and then WWE gets lucky and finds a good one like Tyler Breeze or Tyson Kidd.

I don't think it has to be elitism, it's natural storytelling and if you look at what they're doing with NXT it's something they're actively tying to cultivate. Look at that Balor mini-doc on NXT last night, they want you to know these wrestler's stories but are always quick to emphasise the hard work and dedication they'll need to make it through NXT. Even if you haven't followed their careers before signing with WWE, you're given you the backstory, the wrestlers are provided obstacles to overcome and you get to watch them rise up the ranks. Then, when they do make it to the main roster, you're more likely to feel a greater connection if the job's been done right.

Incidentally, I gave Owens RAW debut three and a half snowflakes.

klonere

Banned
Why not? She'll do wonderfully and deserves a chance considering her body of work.

She deserves to be paid more for sure, I just don't want her to end up like Paige is now six months down the road.

Someone reported that her boyfriend was hurt at the tapings so she was with him at the hospital. Wait for tonight to confirm a throng.(tho I do think someone is getting called up, probably charolotte)

Ah k, that makes sense

I began replying to everyone in complete confidence, but I erased it, realizing I should just be more accepting of your differing opinions. The humbling truth? Even I once enjoyed Bray Wyatt. We all make mistakes.

Do you think Wyatt is redeemable with better booking or is he just not good enough to shine with what has been given to him

somedevil

They are bringing up NXT girls to help Paige. If they wanted they could have a 10 women tag match. The question is how many and of that number how many stay up on the main roster.

Plus don't worry Sasha is back on the new NXT tapings.

I don't feel the character is mediocre. He's about the only heel that has any kind of character beyond "dislikes local sports teams".

Re-read my post jack. The work Kevin Owens is doing is elite, but the character IS mediocre and that is the point. If anything he is a masterwork of mediocrity.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Re-read my post jack. The work Kevin Owens is doing is elite, but the character IS mediocre and that is the point. If anything he is a masterwork of mediocrity.

It's all by design. Carefully tweaked and crafted to make people enjoy him in that moment, and it works.

Sabucin

A wrestling website says that will be
Charlotte.

klonere

Banned
It's all by design. Carefully tweaked and crafted to make people enjoy him in that moment, and it works.

Not being obtuse or overly protective of Owens here or anything but surely a debut that consists of a long promo on Raw, laying out the companies top guy, then pinning him clean at the proceeding PPV, beating everyone else convincingly and getting to powerbomb a celebrity guest alongside doing fucking RVD esque moonsaults and top rope package...slam things is mediocre? That sounds like a pretty exceptional debut and run to me?

I guess he's fat and has a bad beard so that just makes him a mediocre late twenties early thirties millennial or something

NoRéN

Fuck, which one of you said Rusev was turning into a girl-age GAF poster?

"Help! I'm afraid my crush will catch me lurking"

Heel

Do you think Wyatt is redeemable with better booking or is he just not good enough to shine with what has been given to him

Bray Wyatt has completely run its course as a character. Could blame it on the writing, but it's one-note and has stayed that way well beyond its welcome. He's no longer making chicken salad out of chicken scratch. A better entertainer probably would've been out of this rut a long time ago.

And for those commenting, I understand the enjoyment of watching someone rise from the bottom into the spotlight. It's the most redeeming aspect of MMA for me these days, though I guess that's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. Their ceiling of ability becomes clearly defined, and blame of their shortcomings can't be passed on to a writing staff.

Pavaloo

Any character is redeemable ~

but that's like, with the entire company behind them lol

If Wyatt was recruiting week after week midcard guys like Fandango, RTruth, etc. and taking over a brand like Main Event or SmackDown or something, I could see him drawing big interest. Long term storyline would do wonders for him instead of a bunch of 2-3 month feuds that all end up the same way.

Heel

I wish these dudes could just kick their own shit on the mic so there wouldn't be this cloudy discussion on whether or not they're actually redeemable as entertainers. Who the fuck knows, y'all. I'm just going to take it at face value.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I miss the days when you had a character like Mankind and he actually got to develop into the monster that he became.

...He actually started off pretty much already a monster. He owns the fuck out of Taker the second he comes in. Not unlike Cena and Owens actually, only he's deranged and the puppet of Goldust and then later Uncle Paul.

Ithil

Every single one of Bray's feuds on the main roster is the same:

- Bray (and the Wyatt Family when they were around) randomly interrupts a match or segment to beat down the wrestler
- Next week, Bray gives a vague reason for the attack, about heroes or demons or something
- Then they have their PPV match, Bray wins or loses
- Optionally drag it out over several more PPVs with no more storyline development, just more matches
- The end

Kane, Bryan, Cena, Ambrose, Jericho, Ryback and now Reigns. Every single feud starts the same way with him suddenly attacking them and has the same non-answer for his motivations.

At least I know Kevin Owens beats up people because he's a prick.

Top Bottom