• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

klonere

Banned
Hey, I never said that. If you're upset we go off topic then I guess I don't know what to say. FF7 was a shitty game from the ground up, so I hope it gets an entire rework from combat system to story, Last Guardian looks dumb as hell and that team has ALWAYS had huge problems with pathfinding in companion AI and it's tough to get past, and No Man's Sky is dumb in my eyes, and not what I want. Uncharted series has always been a load of ass and the new one looks to continue that.

If you wanna hear me lavish praise on Gears of War I can do that. Game of the show, baby! Horizon also looked neat, despite having a godawful name. I like robots.

EDIT: Would me criticizing Fat Boy Owens be considered "shitting on something super hard" and not in the umbrella of what you look for in a wrestling thread? Because, like Owens' waist size, I can go on for days.

Snvn5.gif

that was sarcasm right

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunflower I tried to discuss Owens yesterday but the post got lost among all the trolls discussing their murder and molestation simulators

Bottom line, my view on Owens is that he looks slovenly and fat by design. WWE is currently doing The Ultimate Work Pt 2, Pt1 being Daniel Bryan's visual appearance that they sort of stumbled on and realized "sometimes people like cheering for someone that reminds them of themselves" and are taking it to the next level.

Which is great for Owens - he can concentrate on his actual matches as opposed to dieting and working out, which has never been something he appears to do much of on a serious level, and instead work on his character, ala Dusty Rhodes (RIP) - Dusty was a personality, and Owens can work on that. The checks write themselves.

In this past decade and some change we've kind of noticed the general public has woken up - the 80s and 90s with Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin being physical role models for people wanting to live vicariously have been supplanted by the realization that most of these people won't ever actually try to look like that - and that realization is what's going to help in this era of the Everyman. There's still a place for huge monsters, absolutely. But you don't build a company around them unless your revenue is strictly children.

However, demographics show that most WWE viewers are grown ass folks in their 40s. Usually in their 30s is when people give up, physically, and just let what will be, be. Que sera sera.

Owens is a brilliant marketing target for those with disposable income and no breeding ability. Cena remains for those who are continuing their bloodline.

Follow the money.

somedevil

It was announced that they are going to show the full Japan Card on the network. So here is what were going to get:

WWE NXT Title Match
Finn Balor vs. Kevin Owens

WWE Divas Title Match
Paige vs. Naomi vs. Nikki Bella

Brock Lesnar vs. Kofi Kingston

Chris Jericho vs. Neville

John Cena and Dolph Ziggler vs. Kane and King Barrett

The Lucha Dragons vs. Los Matadores

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You can have No Man's Sky, but don't let me catch you fricks shading The Witness. #BigPuzzleFeel
The iOS game? You can't have your #BigPuzzleFeel on mobile devices, daddeh.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The story in gears was embarrassing, but it's easily the best playing cover based shooter out there.

I mean that's cool and all. But I don't really think cover based shooting is very fun, and I don't think they have a ton of serious competition.

I'll play Space Marine or Vanquish over Gears any day. And even Binary Domain had a far better storyline than Gears. Which is hilarious considering Binary Domain's characters.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I mean that's cool and all. But I don't really think cover based shooting is very fun, and I don't think they have a ton of serious competition.

I'll play Space Marine or Vanquish over Gears any day. And even Binary Domain had a far better storyline than Gears. Which is hilarious considering Binary Domain's characters.

Big Bo and Cain are really outstanding. Space Marine was so good.

Vince your post plagiarized mine

Great minds think alike. A lot of people just don't want to admit that Owens is a product, not a person.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't want to talk about video games anymore.
Sean Waltman ‏@TheRealXPac 16m
Too late. Im done.

Sean Waltman ‏@TheRealXPac 17m
Im in the bathroom at 30th St Station by gate 7 if anyone wants to live tweet me relieving myself. Why not? Nothing else is Sagrada.
I want to talk about X-Pac's twitter

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had my reaction jiffs here with me. Those tweets...

is it possible to like Owens for his in ring and promo work instead of some bizarre pseudo counter culture thing

I just like him because he's a legitimately strong heel with a well established character. I think he's been amazing in the WWE despite the fact that didn't give a shit about him during his indie days.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
As David Shoemaker skillfully noted, the WWE has finally succeeded in creating the fully subsumed by WWE, fully created by WWE, artfully cultivated by WWE Us-v-Them dynamic that the smark ass smarks desperately crave as participants in the WWE Universe. To watch WWE isn't enough; they need to simultaneously rebel against the system, see "out of touch old men" get their comeuppance through heroes they "handpicked", but this all takes place within the WWE system. Strange.

WWE -- by way of NXT, the WWE Network, and with the help of scooping up dudes from VFW halls in Rahway, NJ and armories in Bumfuckstershire, England -- has its own alternative "subversive" brand and champions of said brand who exist to stick it to The Man.

It helps when said champions don't look fantastic and have exquisite physical conditioning and aesthetics, because the smarks will write these sculpted athletes off as "bodybuilders", which is code for "WWE approved".

These are the people drinking Sprite in the 90s and thinking they're rebelling against Coca-Cola.

And I do love Kevin Owens.
I don't think the Kevin Owens popularity has as much to do with his indy lineage or position as an "outsider" as it does his thorough mediocrity. If there was any knowledge to be garnered from the experience WWE had with Daniel Bryan fans is that there is a subset of their audience which will fervently (if not violently) defend the mediocre.

It's really no coincidence that Kevin Owens started to be elevated and the exact moment Daniel Bryan went back to get more reiki work done, he was just slotted in to be the mediocre hero to downtrodden losers within the WWE audience. Everything from Kevin Owens' slovenly grooming habits, to his dozen donut a day physique, to his total lack of style is actually meticulously groomed package of mediocrity made to be a reflection of slackjawed manchildren in order to grab a few extra dollars out of them.

WWE almost tipped their hand to this fact when they had Cena introduce the plot point that the driving force of success within Kevin Owens was "Never Give Up", this could be seen as a call to action to inspire this pedestrian audience to give up their entitlements and really make something of themselves but of course Kevin Owens needed to rebel against this idea by attacking Cena.

One further testament to Owens' being a reflection of mediocrity is how often he needs to lean on the fact that he is a "father" or that he is doing this for "his family", as if that's something to be proud of. If there is any less remarkable achievement than being able to procreate I have yet to see it and yet middling losers will always bring it up in order to excuse their own lackluster achievements in life.
Great posts.

TL21xx

Banned
KO is KO. There is no other reason to legitimately like him than that he is just that awesome. I don't care what the company message or IWC message is; he's Kevin frickin' Owens. The movesets, the stickwork, the theme song, everything just works. Only Brock gives me these kinds of feels.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is it like people who made fun of bodybuilders in wrestling being immobile because of their size but then their favorite wrestlers were 2 seconds away from their veins popping out of their skin?
5321771320_9e27f44446.jpg

ROH fans may remember the Jimmy Rave/AJ Styles feud that took place about a decade ago - well, small southern indie Pro South Wrestling hosted a rematch this past May and the match is up for VOD & download for a pretty reasonable price;

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ajstylesvsjimmyrave

This was honestly a really enjoyable match, had a good old-school feel to it in the outset and they paced things perfectly. Rave did the whole "I've got you scouted" thing nicely, but without ever getting too cute and making it a typically indie counter-for-counter spotfest. Styles was working a bit slower as well, which only emphasised the explosiveness of his offence once he did let loose. There were at least three amazing moments in this where I was reminded of the promise Jimmy showed at one point. He and AJ's careers took remarkably divergent paths and, while Rave's been in better shape and doesn't get much work outside of small southern indies these days, he fits into the role of a local veteran well and this made me want to see more of his 2015 work. Seriously, a great match. This one's going on my list.

UDETPsc.gif

AEPzhmZ.gif

3OXfJE1.gif

Heel

While I have no real desire to have a nuanced discussion on the finer points of Kevin Owens, I will feel an immense satisfaction when Jim Cornette is proven right about him within the next few years.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
An endless post of "Owens is mediocre and also stupidheaded" is great?
Post 1: The machine crafted a character that a certain portion of the audience enjoys by making it feel "real" or "organic."

Post 2: The character is mediocre.

It's all about authenticity. Punk had it, Bryan had it, Owens had it. Hell DUSTY Built a career on it.

Less scripting and more natural promos and prenstation beats being generic dude 2345 like cena shemaus and del rio

Ithil

Post 1: The machine crafted a character that a certain portion of the audience enjoys by making it feel "real" or "organic."

Post 2: The character is mediocre.

I don't feel the character is mediocre. He's about the only heel that has any kind of character beyond "dislikes local sports teams".

Ithil

Scripted promos suck 99% of the time. It's up to the performer to make the sucky material sound decent.
Bray has spent about the last year delivering aimless, repetitive material well.

Nah friend, my enthusiasm is mostly for the Remastered Gears 1. One of the best games of all time!

I was hugely disappointed with the Gears 4 main character reveal. I can't lie. Marcus is everything in that series. That said I enjoy the horror elements that were briefly touched on in Gears 1 and have been absent since. We'll see.
GoW4 lead was probably the most disappointing thing revealed in Microsoft conference. Give me Delta Squad, I don't want to play as some dude who looks like Brock plant.

Heel

It's all about authenticity. Punk had it, Bryan had it, Owens had it. Hell DUSTY Built a career on it.

Less scripting and more natural promos and prenstation beats being generic dude 2345 like cena shemaus and del rio

In this case, I think 'authentic' means 'I look like them.'

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't feel the character is mediocre. He's about the only heel that has any kind of character beyond "dislikes local sports teams".
Well I mean if that's your great measuring stick then I could understand why you would think he's a cut above the rest.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Depends on the promo.

None of them. I get that people like Daniel Bryan, but that dude is one of the most basic 'I am cutting a promo. I am fulfilling a character in the script that you have opted in for me.' Del Rio is more authentic than him. Bryan was the ultimate company man. Vince gave him his promo and he happily reads it.

He's not even close to as 'authentic' as John Cena. Just because you don't like the character John Cena plays doesn't mean he's not authentic in that character. John Cena CAN'T be reading his script to the letter because John Cena has wildly different crowds to deal with every week depending on how much they like or hate him.
Angry /heelDaniel Bryan did. Not hippie dippy Bryan

But that's 'authentic' Daniel Bryan. That's him.

Top Bottom