• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunny is counting Kane and Big Show as up and comers so I guess we can just define things the way we want them.

I guess the idea is that after feuding with Cena the new guys are not elevated and end up in a worst situation that they were.

Case in point, Wyatt.

How's Fat Boy Owens doing? How's Neville after getting that match? Things are fine.

Broken-hearted stalker Rusev should team with fat, unrepentant slob Bull Dempsey for a tag team of pathetic men that become men's rights activists.

Punk too, yeah. But HHH took care of that.

Fuck, that should have been the feud of a lifetime after Punk won.

Instead of that dual-champions crap and acting like the belt being stolen wasn't really a big deal, burying Rey, a guy I don't even like, to such a degree that even I, a fan who can't stand Rey Mysterio, felt fucking bad for, they pulled all that Nash/cellphone shit.

Punk leaves, takes the belt around to ROH and NJPW and all that, with Vince and a small camera crew chasing him because damnit, it's WWE's belt, and if that no-good Punk is going to parade it around the world, he's going to make some buys, damnit. Punk retains, establishes the fact he's king of the fucking wrestling world, Vince is going mad, and HHH is forced to take the reigns and institute a brutal regime to maintain order as an empire begins to crumble.

And then something something Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk main event of Wrestlemania 29. Okay I'm done.

RP912

Banned
He had to lose there, though. He just had to. And I'd argue his loss didn't actually hurt him at all, not his character. Being dragged into a weird feud with flavorless Dolph Ziggler, now that's some real hurtin there daddeh.

I see your point. The worst thing that can happen during the remainder of that Cena feud is dancing with Hornswaggle. Meanwhile, Russev is pretty much in a mental full nelson watching his girlfriend lip locking with Ziggler. Straight up savage shit right there man :(. It's like we could have another Hardy/Edge situation but without a good storyline.

Of course. Lots of people survive them. I'm having a hard time, besides Barrett, thinking of people who didn't survive that wouldn't be able to make it on their own - people that Cena clearly derailed. I'm sure someone's keeping track and will say something silly like "Curtis Axel!" or "Ted DiBiase Jr!" or "Dolph Ziggler!" and completely miss the point. Just because you had a feud with Cena doesn't mean that's why you're not anyone.

Everyone's favourite internet superstar Zack Ryder :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rusev's got a huge face run in him, and it'll be amazing when it all lines up and starts. You'll see. He's incredibly sympathetic and plays the part well. I can see it now...Rusev will put butts in the seats.

So what count as surviving a cena feud, Bray was able to win multiple feuds post cena and face taker at Wm does that count as surviving?

Surviving, maybe. Thriving, no.

Ambrose, well duh
Jericho, he lost the first match to. In 2014. Jericho.
Ryback, which lasted one match, and two weeks later Ryback won a belt on a PPV Bray wasn't on, so arguably Ryback benefited most from that "feud"
Romahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah yeah literally nobody on earth who has even some intelligence thinks Bray's winning this feud

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone's favourite internet superstar Zack Ryder :(

Man, that was something special in the worst way. I'll never forget Ryder changing a tire...

It's astounding how closely packed together ppvs and the rematch clause can kill feuds and harm career momentum.

Totally agree. The rematch clause is bullshit on multiple levels. It's the laziest way to book. THE laziest.

kiguel182

Almost forgot Ryback.

Guy was really over after the whole Punk feud. Turn him heel, have him lose to Cena and bam. Killed him right in his tracks.

Not to say he should've been WWE champion but the feud didn't help him.

That's the main point, after feuding with Cena you rarely end up better than before and most times you end up worse.

Sephzilla

Almost forgot Ryback.

Guy was really over after the whole Punk feud. Turn him heel, have him lose to Cena and bam. Killed him right in his tracks.

That's the main point, after feuding with Cena you rarely end up better than before and most times you end up worse.

Ryback got shot up to the main event too early in my opinion, but that was kind of a side effect of them having no other big faces besides Cena.

JavyOO7

I don't think its Cena's fault for what happended to folks like Barret, Wyatt, and Rusev. Just that creative has no idea what to do and they swing and miss really hard.

Vince, for quite a while now, has little to no patience. If he wants his shows to be exciting again... he has to show some patience.

I think WWE matches are fine as I still enjoy them. But 95 percent of how these matches get to that point are just pretty bad. For a company that is all about STORY many of them are just uninspired, boring, whatever word you want to add to that.

I look at NXT last year and how while the stories aren't out of this world or anything, they are still nice and simple and thus, therefore I look forward to the matches more. Especially the Sami Zayn story line where he was seeking redemption. And the hilarious rants between him and Tyson Kidd on an NXT episode.

Really, I hope Vince and Co., find patience again. And you have so much to work with! 3 hours of RAW, 2 hours of Smackdown, an hour of Main Event and Superstars... you don't have to put all of your stories on the main show, you know?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Almost forgot Ryback.

Man, I think you're misremembering what really killed Ryback. In my opinion, take it for what it's worth (might not be worth shit, and I realize this) what killed Ryback was having a streak that shouldn't end yet vs a champion that can't lose yet, so they do a fuck finish and they both really stalled at that moment, but ESPECIALLY Ryback. It just never was the same since.

And I can't even remember the Ryback/Cena feud. Was that...2013? Late 2013?

20150626_LIGHT_RawPreview_KaneRollinsAmbroseRoman_HOMEPAGE.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Really, I hope Vince and Co., find patience again. And you have so much to work with! 3 hours of RAW, 2 hours of Smackdown, an hour of Main Event and Superstars... you don't have to put all of your stories on the main show, you know?

I agree. I wish they had let the "Daniel Wyatt" storyline run its course but if you'll believe the Daniel Bryan doc, in his words, they kneejerked due to the vocal Bryan fans and cut it off way too early. I always felt that could have such a huge payoff, but they had to abort it so quick. A lot of people said it changed due to the Yes chant happening at some College Basketball game but Danny Bryan said otherwise. A real shame. Wyatts were super fucking hot at that point, too.

None of these are Cena's fault though, unless he has a say in the decision making (I guess).

That's the argument we've been making for the last month. It's not the Cena feud itself people should fear: it's what comes after. And for basically everybody, it's been shit, regardless of whether they magically won or lost the feud itself

Even post-Cena Champ Brock was hamstrung with the Mania build, though the match wound up being great despite expectations

Sephzilla

Man, I think you're misremembering what really killed Ryback. In my opinion, take it for what it's worth (might not be worth shit, and I realize this) what killed Ryback was having a streak that shouldn't end yet vs a champion that can't lose yet, so they do a fuck finish and they both really stalled at that moment, but ESPECIALLY Ryback. It just never was the same since.

100% agreed.

None of these are Cena's fault though, unless he has a say in the decision making (I guess).

It's most likely not Cena's fault (though I really doubt he doesn't have booking influence) but it's mostly WWE's fault for making their entire product revolve around Cena.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
100% agreed.

Honestly I was thrilled - THRILLED to see Ryback's post-surgery return this year and he was over as hell. I think even he was surprised. Then we had the #RealityEra happen and he got that Secret promo, and it really helped. I'm glad he's been saved in some form.

kiguel182

And I can't even remember the Ryback/Cena feud. Was that...2013? Late 2013?

I agree, Ryback has lost momentum first because of that but he hung around in the main-event after the Punk feud and had a great feud with The Shield. Their debut match involved Ryback.

After Cena things took a nose dive. A bigger one.

It was 2013 yeah, the Mania after Cena beat The Rock.

But of course it's not Cena, the person, fault. But having a feud with Cena most of the times means you'll be worse after it. That's why I can't agree with the whole "Cena helping the new guys". Just because you are in a ring with Cena doesn't elevate you and there are plenty of examples of that.

Ryback was hot going into the punk match. Cooled off, then heated up during the cena fued. He was then thrown into the punk verse with axel and that was it

Sephzilla

Honestly I was thrilled - THRILLED to see Ryback's post-surgery return this year and he was over as hell. I think even he was surprised. Then we had the #RealityEra happen and he got that Secret promo, and it really helped. I'm glad he's been saved in some form.

I kind of wish they'd soft-reboot Ryback and put him on another Goldberg streak now. Since he's actually got a bit of a character now and is a tad better in the ring, going on a monster undefeated run would be great for him and basically turn Ryback into what they intended for him initially.

Fox318

Ryback is great. He isn't the safest worker and he isn't nearly as strong as he looks but the dude is great when he's just spitting truth in what it took to get to where he is.

Plus him telling stupid at anyone trying to get some offense in on him is always funny.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, Ryback has lost momentum first because of that but he hung around in the main-event after the Punk feud and had a great feud with The Shield. Their debut match involved Ryback.

After Cena things took a nose dive. A bigger one.

It was 2013 yeah, the Mania after Cena beat The Rock.

But of course it's not Cena, the person, fault. But having a feud with Cena most of the times means you'll be worse after it. That's why I can't agree with the whole "Cena helping the new guys". Just because you are in a ring with Cena doesn't elevate you and there are plenty of examples of that.

We may just disagree on it - I think putting new people in matches with Cena is kind of used as a transition, to make people who are kinda getting done with Cena (kids mainly, ones growing up) and using that to find new stars to follow. I might also be thinking too hard about it and giving it credit where it isn't due, though.

Crazy heel R-Truth should still be a thing goddammit.

R-Truth got Little Jimmy over, and LITTLE JIMMY DID NOT EXIST. That is some grade-A theatrics.

Heroman

Banned
Post cena feud problems stem from the fact that wwe can't book post feud feuds. I mean look at dean who is the most over guy right now and has main evented 3 ppv on a row and has noting to do right now.

kiguel182

I agree. I wish they had let the "Daniel Wyatt" storyline run its course but if you'll believe the Daniel Bryan doc, in his words, they kneejerked due to the vocal Bryan fans and cut it off way too early. I always felt that could have such a huge payoff, but they had to abort it so quick. A lot of people said it changed due to the Yes chant happening at some College Basketball game but Danny Bryan said otherwise. A real shame. Wyatts were super fucking hot at that point, too.

The angle was cut short but Cena vs Wyatt was always the Mania match. The feud was cut one PPV short with Bryan putting Wyatt over clean. Something Cena didn't do.

kiguel182

Post cena feud problems stemfrom the fact that wwe can't book post feud feuds. I mean look at dean who is the mosy over guy right now and has main evented 3 ppv on a row and has noting to do right now.

I agree.

As I said, it's not Cena's fault. His just booking is bad and Cena is at the center of a lot of this because well, he is the main dude.

Also there's the attitude of "have a match with Cena and you are elevated" that doesn't help matters at all.

Transition from feuds is very important and WWE rarely handles that well.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldnt mind the rematch clause if every so often the person would win. Instead it just feels like using the old champ as cannon fodder either on raw or at next ppv.

Sephzilla

The problem with Cena feuds is a two-part problem

1) CenaWinsLOL. Cena rarely loses big matches in his feud, and a clean loss is like finding a leprechaun, and if he does lose it's usually early on in the feud so he can Rocky 3 his way to wins at the next couple of shows. An up and coming guy may look great going into a Cena feud but if they're all destined to become "another guy who lost to Cena" that's going to hurt them long run. Cena needs to start losing some feuds to actually put over new talent. There's no reason for him to keep winning. His credibilty/over-ness isn't going to get hurt at this point.

2) Creative seems to not give much of a shit about people who exit Cena feuds even remotely as much as they do with people before they go into Cena feuds.

kiguel182

You don't say

RAW_1152_Photo_209-681850645.jpg

That picture really sums up everything that's wrong with WWE booking faces today. I can't believe they did that.

The problem with Cena feuds is a two-part problem

1) CenaWinsLOL. Cena rarely loses big matches in his feud, and a clean loss is like finding a leprechaun, and if he does lose it's usually early on in the feud so he can Rocky 3 his way to wins at the next couple of shows. An up and coming guy may look great going into a Cena feud but if they're all destined to become "another guy who lost to Cena" that's going to hurt them long run. Cena needs to start losing some feuds to actually put over new talent. There's no reason for him to keep winning. His credibilty/over-ness isn't going to get hurt at this point.

2) Creative seems to not give much of a shit about people who exit Cena feuds even remotely as much as they do with people before they go into Cena feuds.

Yup. Great summary of the issues. They use the same formula every time and don't really care for the post-feud aspect of it for the guy that isn't Cena.

Been smart to keep Roman away from Cena.

Who were the last faces they had actually feud with Cena? I recall Batista (years later left the company, vowing to only return for house shows "so I don't have to deal with that Creative bullshit again", and making more money than he made in the company) and Bryan (years later may not wrestle again)

kiguel182

Who were the last faces they had actually feud with Cena? I recall Batista (years later left the company, vowing to only return for house shows "so I don't have to deal with that Creative bullshit again", and making more money than he made in the company) and Bryan (years later may not wrestle again)

Well, The Rock?

Guzim

I wouldnt mind the rematch clause if every so often the person would win. Instead it just feels like using the old champ as cannon fodder either on raw or at next ppv.

I remember the time when Cena won his first WWE championship, there was a tournament to determine who would be his opponent. The reason why there was a tournament? JBL did not sign the rematch clause contract.

Top Bottom