• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The worstbest part about Daniel Bryan not being around is that events went back to being boring as scripted and not just the crowd moaning and groaning about Daniel Bryan.

Cagey

Banned
Verendus, you shouldn't defend Batista's last appearance. Now I don't care about his 'work rate' or other such buzz words when it comes to the World Wrestling Entertainment.

What I do care about is his lack of juicing. My dude looked terrible. Standing next to Triple H and Randy Orton and suddenly he was the 'small one' in Evolution. They probably didn't bring Flair back because Flair would've out muscled him.

This is true. Batista needed some gas. His delts and pecs looked deflated.

Fox318

The worstbest part about Daniel Bryan not being around is that events went back to being boring as scripted and not just the crowd moaning and groaning about Daniel Bryan.
What are you talking about? Have you seen Roman Reigns year the house down? Hell he just piped a rating That showed at least 5 people were paying attention at home during his sports entertainment dance.

Kaladin

Speaking of chants.

I love how they try to get the FIGHT OWENS FIGHT chant over instead of Cena sucks.

But the fact is, they just haven't been in the right anti-Cena / smark markets to do it.

Watched the FWA British Uprising show from 2002, this was a pretty big deal at the time and it's interesting to see how it's aged - pretty well in some cases (Robbie Brookside vs Drew McDonald, Doug Williams vs Jerry Lynn, Johnny Storm vs AJ Styles) and really badly in others (everything else). The main event was nuts, though. A shit excuse for a wrestling match, complete with Russo-esque run-ins, but the spots were just reckless enough for me to give a shit. Also, this was a hugely iconic moment for British wrestling in the early 2000's;

YGB7RJk.gif

Fox318

Speaking of chants.

I love how they try to get the FIGHT OWENS FIGHT chant over instead of Cena sucks.

But the fact is, they just haven't been in the right anti-Cena / smark markets to do it.
Except Owens is still a heel to many of those smarks.

I mean he destroyed the ultimate babyface in Sami Zayn twice.

This could be a case of people hating Cena more than rooting for Owens.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What are you talking about? Have you seen Roman Reigns year the house down? Hell he just piped a rating That showed at least 5 people were paying attention at home during his sports entertainment dance.

I was saying booroman.

kirblar

I really like the idea of having Owens just be Cena kyrptonite. Have him go 50/50 w/ everyone else, but leave him X-0 in 2-3+ matches against Cena.

Alucard

Banned
I really like the idea of having Owens just be Cena kyrptonite. Have him go 50/50 w/ everyone else, but leave him X-0 in 2-3+ matches against Cena.

Agreed. Think it could be great. And then Cena ACTUALLY has to give in to the dark side this time to win. Meaning he'll be conflicted even after winning. Except that he won't because he's John Cena.

Sephzilla

Agreed. Think it could be great. And then Cena ACTUALLY has to give in to the dark side this time to win. Meaning he'll be conflicted even after winning. Except that he won't because he's John Cena.

So Kevin Owens would be the Roddy Piper to John Cena's Hulk Hogan?

He'll make some constipated expressions then go straight to making fun of Owens' accent and calling him a cheese-eating surrender monkey or something.

Angry Grimace

Keep that dream alive that Cena will stop doing the same thing Cena has done for 13 years.

Sephzilla

Who knows. That shit will probbaly never be equaled. Cena has some loses so not sure who can even start it.

What about The New Sensation, Neville? Eh? Eh?

Honestly what I think really helped make 'the streak' was that Undertaker had a supernatural character. His character was basically built to be a boss character. Only guy I can think of who could fit that mold at this point is Balor once he gets called up, but given his age I don't think he'd ever make it into Taker-tier with wins. Balor would need to wrestle into his 50s to hit 20-0 like Taker did (Taker himself is only 50 now, Balor is 33)

jmdajr

Honestly what I think really helped make 'the streak' was that Undertaker had a supernatural character. His character was basically built to be a boss character. Only guy I can think of who could fit that mold at this point is Balor once he gets called up, but given his age I don't think he'd ever make it into Taker-tier with wins. Balor would need to wrestle into his 50s to hit 20-0 like Taker did (Taker himself is only 50 now, Balor is 33)

It ain't happening with Bray Wyatt...

Angry Grimace

It was totally random luck that they had that to work with. Undertaker's early wins included a DQ win because Giant Gonzalez chloroformed him in the middle of the match.

lol nope

i'd like to go back and see whats the earliest reference to taker being undefeated at wrestlemania (aka, when they actually noticed he was undefeated). i want to think it was Taker vs Diesel
Really? I thought it was The Decade of Destruction run.

If they were smart, they'd have multiple dudes have WM streaks, then you could have Streak vs Streak matches. Nothing like 20-0 will be replicated though.

Sephzilla

Really? I thought it was The Decade of Destruction run.

If they were smart, they'd have multiple dudes have WM streaks, then you could have Streak vs Streak matches. Nothing like 20-0 will be replicated though.

i honestly have no idea when they first reference the streak. for some reason i just remember one of the announcers during Taker/Diesel mentioning Taker being undefeated. I could be completely wrong.

get a couple of people up to like 5-0 and then make that a big match. i'd buy that

Who's gonna be watching CZW Tournament of Death this year?

Some of them matches will be sick! Nick Gage is back afterall.
A week ago this sentence wouldn't make much sense to me, thanks to UltraViolent June I now understand such things like what a Nick Gage is.

Do any of you think Vince will try to start up a new "WrestleMania undefeated streak"?

I can only imagine the mess that would come form them trying to recreate this intentionally.

Sephzilla

I can only imagine the mess that would come form them trying to recreate this intentionally.

It honestly requires way more patience than I think Vince and the current creative team have. They'd need to semi-quietly get a guy up to like 5 or 6 Mania wins or so before suddenly making it any kind of big deal.

Knowing Vince, Balor would win his debut at Mania and have Cole scream "HAVE WE WITNESSED THE BIRTH OF A NEW STREAK?!"

Kaladin

Bet anything China is a big part if this deal. WWN beat Vince to the punch

The logical clue would be WWNLive's in-roads into China.

Definitely, but I'm curious what WWN Live gets out of it....more exposure by running shows on the Network, better equipment, stars with NXT?

Also, this probably means their deal with TNA that allows them to use Davey Richards and TJ Perkins is dead soon.

Definitely, but I'm curious what WWN Live gets out of it....more exposure by running shows on the Network, better equipment, stars with NXT?

Also, this probably means their deal with TNA that allows them to use Davey Richards and TJ Perkins is dead soon.

Is WWN Live doing well enough that it could survive without an infusion of cash from WWE?

It's odd going back just one year and checking out the main event of MitB 2014, masked Kane, Alberto Del Rio still employed, a very over Bray Wyatt, still using two belts to represent the undisputed champ and most strange of all CESARO?!

It honestly requires way more patience than I think Vince and the current creative team have. They'd need to semi-quietly get a guy up to like 5 or 6 Mania wins or so before suddenly making it any kind of big deal.

Knowing Vince, Balor would win his debut at Mania and have Cole scream "HAVE WE WITNESSED THE BIRTH OF A NEW STREAK?!"
Oh man, that last bit, I can imagine it happening one day.

Top Bottom