• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

RP912

Banned
My limitation is CZW since FMW been doa since early 2000. IWA, BJW, and all of those feds seem like overkill on the senses. One look at Jun Kasai's back and I start to break out in hives :/.

i think they don't bother me as much to look at because they look like movie stills and so my brain registers the blood and stuff as make up. i've scrolled past worse in this topic. that isn't an invitation to be more gross. these pics are still dumb but interesting that a little photography skill can take the edge off.

Zach

re: scott hall

guess what: addiction is a tough habit to break. it takes a bunch of attempts before you start to get a decent handle on it.

does it make you feel good to be like 'lol alcoholics are losers, who cars if he lives or dies anymore'? nasty mean spirited comments, but you're not the only one.

just saying this in case you ever encounter this situation in real life. maybe don't chime in with 'lol you fuck up' cos it actually doesn't help in my experience, if that is even your motivation.

on the other hand taking to twitter every time invites callous internet people to chime in i guess. i dunno how many tries he's actually had but wasn't he doing pretty well there for like at least a year? that's pretty big, maybe he's actually making progress.

Hear, hear.

RP912

Banned
On some real shit...they need to bring back the ticking time bomb cage matches. I loved them matches during my hardcore wrestling phase. Hayabusa/Onita is still one of the best matches of all time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've always wondered if someone had a winless streak and it was booked as such, would they get over with the crowd if they kept getting close to winning but kept losing due to cheap wins and the like?

That has happened a ton of times.

Those pic are dumb, why would anyone do that?

Remember what I said about "10th level carny shit" a couple days back? Yeah.

Ah, Ok. Didn't notice that was the case. Sorry.

these are pro pics so it was actually kind of interesting to look at, but sometimes you get these awful gory pics someone probably took on their phone and y'know, people are eating while browsing sometimes, or don't want to see depressing photos of low paid people with no boundaries humiliating and cutting themselves up.

just put the pics behind something anyone who wants to see them can.

I actually quite enjoy any exploding electrified barbed wire matches, especially cage matches. Onita vs. Hayabusa in Onita's first retirement match is one of my favorite matches ever.

Are there any other good ones? I happen to remember one between Tenryu and somebody where Tenryu got pushed into the cage just as the time bomb went off, but I've never been able to find it.

re: scott hall

guess what: addiction is a tough habit to break. it takes a bunch of attempts before you start to get a decent handle on it.

does it make you feel good to be like 'lol alcoholics are losers, who cars if he lives or dies anymore'? nasty mean spirited comments, but you're not the only one.

just saying this in case you ever encounter this situation in real life. maybe don't chime in with 'lol you fuck up' cos it actually doesn't help in my experience, if that is even your motivation.

on the other hand taking to twitter every time invites callous internet people to chime in i guess. i dunno how many tries he's actually had but wasn't he doing pretty well there for like at least a year? that's pretty big, maybe he's actually making progress.

Ignore him, he's a shitty troll trying to cut everyone with his edginess.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I actually quite enjoy any exploding electrified barbed wire matches, especially cage matches. Onita vs. Hayabusa in Onita's first retirement match is one of my favorite matches ever.

Are there any other good ones? I happen to remember one between Tenryu and somebody where Tenryu got pushed into the cage just as the time bomb went off, but I've never been able to find it.

Nah, that's the best one.

BJW did a few exploding barbed wire board matches some years back, but that's it. They normally stick with light tubes, razors and that shit.

RP912

Banned

This is my second favorite match. It had wargames stipulations, which is a huge plus.

PT 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSRJ59ymqA8

PT 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3zTXmUyXNo

edit: not a exploding cage match but still effective :)

Heroman

Banned
So I been wonder for a while, are these death matches any good. Having only seen parts of them on youtube they always seem like a way to shock people rather then good wrestling.

Kaladin

Some word on the NXT / Evolve story:

PWINSIDER Mike Johnson said:
For those who have asked about rumors regarding WWE and their developmental system working with WWN, the parent company of EVOLVE, Full Impact Pro and the now-defunct Dragon Gate USA, PWInsider.com has learned from WWE sources that there has been communication between the two sides about working together and that communication was initiated by WWE about a week ago or so ago.

That's about when Ring of Honor landed on national cable TV with their Destination America timeslot, so whether that was a factor I can't say 100%, but it looks like it could be. EVOLVE released a video thanking TNA for working with them around the same time.

In regard to stories making the rounds (some attributed to me) that WWE is buying WWN or that it will be a new "OVW" style promotion assisting developmental, there's nothing to those stories at this time - we are told that whatever this deal is, and it's not a done deal by any means, it's all still being worked out and that no "official deal" has been set in stone.

PWInsider reached out to WWN's Sal Hamaoui and Gabe Sapolsky but they did not return requests for comment. WWE has not responded to official requests for comment as of this writing, either.

RP912

Banned
So I been wonder for a while, are these death matchesr any good. Having only seen parts of them on you they always seem like a way to shock people rather then good wrestling.

It's all hit and miss in my eye. I prefer deathmatches to have some sort of storyline or at least some type of storytelling in the match. A random deathmatch just seems stupid in my eye. The last deathmatch match that I seen recently that was considered good was Cage of Death 2014. I loved that match because all four wrestlers were trying to kill each other for the gold.

Or maybe WWE is pissed that a Kevin Steen figure could be out on the market before A Kevin Owens figure can get out. It would seem petty, but since it potentially affects merchandising since WWE is poaching Indy talent more aggressively now, it would actually make sense to nip it in the bud.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
tumblr_nlozs3k7s91s8dwjeo1_400.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qw6rzN-uZE

Kaladin

Or maybe WWE is pissed that a Kevin Steen figure could be out on the market before A Kevin Owens figure can get out. It would seem petty, but since it potentially affects merchandising since WWE is poaching Indy talent more aggressively now, it would actually make sense to nip it in the bud.

Doubt that is it. Vince / Triple H probably want Gabe for his foreign connections.

He's always known how to get in with those places and breaking into China before WWE did probably got him on their radar.

Doubt that is it. Vince / Triple H probably want Gabe for his foreign connections.

He's always known how to get in with those places and breaking into China before WWE did probably got him on their radar.

It's not mutually exclusive. China would be a big factor, but merchandising, if that plays a role, would also be a big deal to a company like WWE.

Heel

these are pro pics so it was actually kind of interesting to look at, but sometimes you get these awful gory pics someone probably took on their phone and y'know, people are eating while browsing sometimes, or don't want to see depressing photos of low paid people with no boundaries humiliating and cutting themselves up.

just put the pics behind something anyone who wants to see them can.

That sounds like a big ask, real_slime. People that enjoy death match wrestling a tend to be reaction fetishists, pushing gore onto others against their will.

Notice how everyone in that crowd has their cell phone out? They're recording, so later they can walk up to family members and co-workers with one simple question: "Hey dude, wanna see something awesome?" It's their desperate attempt for a cheap thrill. They want to watch their faces as they cringe, or pretend to enjoy it as their mind searches for a convenient excuse to leave.

So no, real_slime, I don't think Corpsepyre intends to take the photos down. He wants one more cheap thrill that his Facebook timeline no longer provides.

Kaladin

It's not mutually exclusive. China would be a big factor, but merchandising, if that plays a role, would also be a big deal to a company like WWE.

Exept WWN Live has never been that big on the merchandising side. They don't even produce that many t-shirts and certainly don't keep up with DVD releases.

So if merchandising was an issue here, they would be going after Ring of Honor, not WWN Live.

Corpsepyre

Banned
That sounds like a big ask, real_slime. People that enjoy death match wrestling a tend to be reaction fetishists, pushing gore onto others against their will.

Notice how everyone in that crowd has their cell phone out? They're recording, so later they can walk up to family members and co-workers with one simple question: "Hey dude, wanna see something awesome?" It's their desperate attempt for a cheap thrill. They want to watch their faces as they cringe, or pretend to enjoy it as their mind searches for a convenient excuse to leave.

So no, real_slime, I don't think Corpsepyre intends to take the photos down. He wants one more cheap thrill that his Facebook timeline no longer provides.

Yeah, I've taken them down entirely as I didn't know they were to be linked. Way to go on the assumptions.

Meltzer just reported this in the observer. WWE is pissed that there is a steen figure. He said that that is you want to go to NXT you can't have a deal with ROH

A lot of indie talent, including the names noted in the past few weeks, had signed five-year deals with Figure Toy Company, so that company has the right to market Kevin Steen merchandise for nearly five more years while he may be pushed as one of WWE's biggest stars. And WWE doesn't want this to happen again. For this reason, the doctrine is not to sign talent from ROH or TNA now for the main roster, and get the word out to young talent that if they have WWE aspirations, not to sign with either TNA (which most of the top young guys had heard) or ROH (which is new). One person noted to this that all this came about because the Figure Toy Company deal and the Destination America deals for ROH came down at about the same time, and WWE had no knowledge of either of them.

Heading to the NXT show in Cleveland Friday, and I would sincerely appreciate advice:

1. Especially to those who went to the show on March, anything one should know in advance? i.e. - when best to arrive for a good spot, where to park, what not to do at the Agora

2. Any Cleveland GAFfers recommend a great underrated spot to grab a meal?

Have most of the trip planned, but I want to fill out the rest with suggestions from the locals. Thanks in advance.

Barrage

Thank god they're putting Joe in a match tonight, he doesn't exactly leave a strong impression without his work in the ring.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Meltzer just reported this in the observer. WWE is pissed that there is a steen figure. He said that that is you want to go to NXT you can't have a deal with ROH

Typical WWE pettiness, god damn. :lol

Also, :lol @ the Chyna / X-Pac thing

and, uhm, not sure what to think of the WWE/EVOLVE Rumour

Two separate things happening then. Maybe WWE is buying into WWN Live for its China relationships, and it's separately pissed about the Steen figure.

In other words, Lord Cena is squashing Owens like a bug Sunday.

Kaladin

Two separate things happening then. Maybe WWE is buying into WWN Live for its China relationships, and it's separately pissed about the Steen figure.

Most likely, and if WWN Live stuff includes talent deals....WWN Live works with a lot of the major non ROH and TNA talent out there.

So I been wonder for a while, are these death matches any good. Having only seen parts of them on youtube they always seem like a way to shock people rather then good wrestling.

There are rare occasions where an ultraviolent death match can be very compelling. But it's rare. And very few things in wrestling illustrate diminishing returns as clearly as an ultraviolent deathmatch tournament, IMO. It's really hard to not glaze over after a while in a tourney, or a show that has a lot of gimmicks thrown out there.

Plus, if you are pulling that level of insanity out there, you'd better have a ton of fans in the seats and making money, or you're just being stupid.

It's much better IMO to have an angle build and build and build up to a violent match, like a street fight, and have that match be a singular event on the card.

My favorite example of this that I have seen lately was the Street Fight for the Inspire Pro championship between Dirty Andy Dalton and The Centerfold, Matthew Palmer. It didn't have glass or light tubes, but boy, was it violent. The build was so good the crowd wanted desperately to see every bit of violence Palmer could inflict on Dalton, and the stakes were high, with a stipulation that Palmer would have to leave Inspire Pro if he lost. Within the first 90 seconds of the match, the canvas was covered in Andy Dalton's blood and hair, and it just got crazier from there, but it was still mostly stiff brawling and wrestling moves. Certainly there were extremely dangerous wrestling moves, involving stuff like chairs, ladders and a table, and some 90s Japan caliber head-drops, but they were wrestling moves nonetheless. And it all made sense. It was a great violent, visceral match that was totally appropriate for the audience.

There are certainly a few ultraviolent deathmatches that reach the kind of brutal artwork of a match like that, but they are few and far between, IMO. That's why I'll pretty much always prefer a classic southern-style or Texas-style dramatic gimmick match to an out-and-out ultraviolent deathmatch.

Top Bottom