• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Watching stupid car racing movies. Why am I not surprised?
TripleH003_display_image.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Is Bryan's running knee finisher a shining wizard, or is a shining wizard only called that when the other guy is sitting on the mat or on his knees?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's a running knee. It's not a Shining Wizard nor is it a Busaku or whatever that's called.

Knee Plus is my favorite name for it besides the move that ko'd John Cena.

So what's a shining wizard? :p

This?
Shining_Wizard.gif

Or this?
shining-wizard-o.gif

Both? Or something else?

The second one is a shining wizard, sorta, although Punk's was always kinda shitty. The first is one of many variations that play off the original shining wizard, that one in particular being a step-up enziguri.

Alucard

Banned
What's the name of the move when a guy carries the other guy on his back piggyback style and then drops down on his ass...looks like the other guy gets dropped on his tailbone.

strobogo

Banned
Interesting that Muta turned his biggest weak point (his knees) into his most dangerous weapon. Maybe Bryan can start doing swinging his neck around like King Ghidorah.

Jamie OD

So many "new" wrestling moves that I wish I knew the names of. Like this...
pumphandleslamintoaneckbrecker-1.gif~c200

Watching an ROH DVD and I just heard Kevin Kelly call this a pumphandle neckbreaker. Agree? Disagree? I see a lot of guys using it...dropping the guy's head onto a knee.

Really would like to be better versed in the actual names of moves. I know a lot, but not a lot of the ones that have cropped up more over the past 5-10 years.

I'd say Fisherman Brainbuster onto the knee.

Wrestling moves are now like skateboard tricks. The ones getting made now are combinations of other moves and set-ups. Unless someone gets a name over you're stuck with something that sounds like a mess. Saying something like the Over The Shoulder Back-To-Belly Piledriver is like calling a 450 Kickflip McTwist into an Olly (no idea if that's an accurate skateboard trick).

Alucard

Banned
If it's the one Eddie Edwards does that you're thinking of, that's a backpack stunner.

That's the one. :) Just saw Edwards perform it in a match against The Forever Hooligans.

Watching All-Star Extravaganza V from last year. The ME is The American Wolves vs. The Forever Hooligans. Pretty long match with a lot of nice spots, but some awkward pacing at times.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you wanna learn moves, throw a WWE game in and play with CAW sets.

It's funny how literally every single one of Punk's moves is either sloppy or shitty looking, and this guy held the belt for 434 days. Maybe the crispest, cleanest, most credible looking move I've ever seen him do was that illegal piledriver on Cena.

He actually could've been the Best in the World if he tightened up his work a lot.

Showaddy

Punk only started looking like complete shit when he completely lost interest in his last year (Lesnar match aside).

Edit: His flying elbow always sucked though.

Punk's never been a particularly crisp wrestler, even when he was at his peak. But he's often been able to rise above it thanks to his eye for telling a story. He had some amazing matches on the Indies, but goddamn he was often very sloppy in the ring. There's one match with BJ Whitmer where Punk tries an exploder off the apron through a table and manages to KO both himself and Whitmer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I always found Punk at his crispest vs Rey. It helps being able to manhandle someone but still.

Aiii

So not worth it
Honestly I think I would have liked Punk a lot less if he was crisp and tidy in the ring. That just goes completely against the guys character. The sloppiness fit his style if you know what I mean.

I said before that being a wrestler is doing three things: moves, character and acting/promo's. And as long as you're great at at least two of those things, people will forgive you not being the greatest at the third, Punk is one of those cases.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind sloppy wrasslers though, like Aiii said sometimes it fits the character. If Dean Malenko was sloppy I probably wouldn't have enjoyed him at much, but if say, Kamala was a technical workhorse I'd look at him a lot different. Punks work made him look like what he was, a scrappy underdog. No problem there.

Punk is at his best when he's a heel because it's seems too be the closest to him personally. When he says he's Best in the World, he knows he's not, and it's fun to watch him use instinct and wits to get the win because he knows he can't beat Cena. When he's a face it's just doesn't fly for me. That Lesnar/Punk match is incredible, but I can't stand the parts where Punk has to pretend he can do MMA or Lesnar is selling his sloppy offense way too much. Not to mention the fucking ending that is arguably worse than the Cena/Brock one, especially in light of The Streak. Ugh.

The worst are Punk's kicks. It's bad enough when Bryan does it to an opponent who just fucking sits there, but at least Bryan puts his weight into it. Punk just rested his leg on his opponent's shoulder, like he needed to stretch.

Top Bottom