• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

90s GWF? I'm looking it up on wikipedia and doesn't sound anything like my brilliant groundbreaking idea.

0.jpg

DDPEtJeffJarret07_display_image.jpg

Lol, watched the recent DDT Iron Man Heavymetalweight Title match, so ridiculous. Spoiler;
the belt wins itself and becomes the 1,000th champion. Also, some of the wrestlers had drunk some poison that turned them into zombies with mind control powers, as far as I could gather. Ah, DDT

DDT.gif
DDT1.gif
DDT2.gif

Also, have a match;

Shinya Hashimoto & Tatsumi Fujinami vs Genichiro Tenryu & Shiro Koshinaka - Super Grade Tag League - (NJPW 1998/12/04)

Any time Hashimoto & Tenryu face off it's always entertaining and this match is no exception, but I think I enjoyed the Fujinami vs Tenryu sections the most. Koshinaka is great as always and gets some good offence in. The finishing stretch is a lot of fun, good match, hot crowd, four awesome wrestlers.

In a rare lapse of judgement, Tenryu forgets who he's fucking with;

Fujinami.gif

Striker

And the muscle is out of the picture because wrestling is moving away from body builders into an era of a legitimate athletic contest.
You're 21 years late. They went into that direction when Hogan left and they started pushing Bret Hart. Still won't stop them from pushing muscle-centric guys (Luger, or for present day, Big E). There's always room for big guys, like there is for small guys. If they had a show of nothing but small buck fifty guys it wouldn't draw for shit.

Sblargh

Banned
You're 21 years late. They went into that direction when Hogan left and they started pushing Bret Hart. Still won't stop them from pushing muscle-centric guys (Luger, or for present day, Big E). There's always room for big guys, like there is for small guys. If they had a show of nothing but small buck fifty guys it wouldn't draw for shit.

B-b-but... I praised diversity just a few posts later.....

Ithil

They're not particularly drawing for shit with a big guy on top.

Striker

B-b-but... I praised diversity just a few posts later.....
While true, both ways can work. WCW showed how giving cruiserweights their own title and division can be really fun and work well. But you also have to have some believability when you mesh these small guys with big ones. When a 160 lb. Rey Mysterio can beat Kane off a body splash it looks pretty goofy.

And I cannot stand how they booked the CM Punk-Bork match last SummerSlam. Punk isn't a midget, but let's be honest, he's still small. For some reason, it's the near 300 lb. jacked guy who needs help? Eddie Guerrero beat Bork but he didn't do it alone, and that was okay.

They're not particularly drawing for shit with a big guy on top.
The product as a whole isn't doing great numbers, and has been dropping big since the mid 2000's. The roster requires a good balance of sizes. I await the day a guy under 5'10 and under 200 lbs can become a conventional player in the main event and as a key figure of a wrestling show. They can easily do it with Daniel Bryan but the booking has to be perfect. Not this garbage with Kane, Stephanie, and Brie.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Steve Austin's Pt2 with Vader is good if you like puro, a lot of stories over there. Reinforces the belief Leon White is a big babby though, but we already knew that. Good stuff.

For that, watch his four-minute debut against Inoki. It's dope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZwGUsFm7_A

Kaladin

Lol, watched the recent DDT Iron Man Heavymetalweight Title match, so ridiculous. Spoiler;
the belt wins itself and becomes the 1,000th champion. Also, some of the wrestlers had drunk some poison that turned them into zombies with mind control powers, as far as I could gather. Ah, DDT

Better than giving the title to abeyance.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Proof Yado was right, right here.
Death Grips is not that obscure and it's not that out there compared to a lot of other bands. I know a lot of non hipsters that dig them as well. They aren't like Merrzbow or The Gerogerigegege.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take mushrooms and paint and watch E3

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Death Grips is not that obscure and it's not that out there compared to a lot of other bands. I know a lot of non hipsters that dig them as well. They aren't like Merrzbow or The Gerogerigegege.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take mushrooms and paint and watch E3

Cmon. I've been a fan of Gerogerigegege for over ten years, they're not that obscure either. If I'm a fan and reviewed their early shit ten years ago, you gotta dig DEEPER.

Your hipster cred is revoked, brah

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only Megaton I'd care for is Rockstar announcing a new Red Dead, but I don't think there'll be any ground shaking announcements. GAF'll still go down, though.

Rockstar never does E3, so that won't happen. Even though I think Bully 2 is coming before a new Red Dead.

I just have my doubts about anything major showing up. If a mediocre game like Crackdown 3 crashes gaf then I think a lot of gaffers need to look back on their hype and reconsider it.

Browny

Banned
Steve Austin's Pt2 with Vader is good if you like puro, a lot of stories over there. Reinforces the belief Leon White is a big babby though, but we already knew that. Good stuff.

For that, watch his four-minute debut against Inoki. It's dope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZwGUsFm7_A
Way to put over the debuting monster...

How far in do I have to skip to get to the interview proper? There's only so much "Sherries Berries for the working man" I can take...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Way to put over the debuting monster...

How far in do I have to skip to get to the interview proper? There's only so much "Sherries Berries for the working man" I can take...

On Pt2 for Unleashed? Under 5 mins, which is nice. A shocker in Steve Austin's LEGALZOOM world.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Cmon. I've been a fan of Gerogerigegege for over ten years, they're not that obscure either. If I'm a fan and reviewed their early shit ten years ago, you gotta dig DEEPER.

Your hipster cred is revoked, brah

I wasn't listing the most obscure bands I know. I was saying that those are noise acts and that Death Grips is just industrial(ish) hip-hop. Also, I never claimed to be a hipster!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't listing the most obscure bands I know. I was saying that those are noise acts and that Death Grips is just industrial(ish) hip-hop. Also, I never claimed to be a hipster!

They never do, that's what makes them happy.

"He called me a hipster and I never even had to tell him I was *beams* "

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That word has lost all meaning. It gets thrown around so much that everyone and no one is a hipster anymore.
Only soup cans need labels, breh.

That's what a hipster would say.

Go ahead, bask in it. I ain't mad. Hipsters are supposed to be people too.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Are you guys calling this picture a liar??????
2487722275a3322865804b284693802ml.jpg

Were all those emo xanga blogs I visited in middle school that had this saying lying to me? Do other products that aren't soup need labels?

I need to reevaluate my life.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I fell asleep with a bit less than half of the PPV to go but Hog Wild 1996's undercard totally makes up for the god awful Road Wild PPVs for the next three years.

Yes, I know that Prime NWO era Hogan versus the Giant is going to be awful so there's no way that can be salvaged but this is what I've seen so far.

"Ultimate" Dragon versus Rey Mysterio Jr.
Ice Train versus Scott Norton
Bull Nakano versus Madusa (sadly not as good as the WWF matches a year before)
Dean Malenko versus Chris Benoit in an all time classic double overtime match.
Steiners versus Harlem Heat...at the most racist PPV of them all, Stro would be proud.

I fell asleep during that last match but what I saw was really quite good.

Carnby

So will WWE 2k15 be at this E3 thing?

I didn't know it was a real thing. You might have read me making fun of Yukes presenting it on stage with Cena and Rose.

Besides a handful of live events at the end of WWE's recent European tour, The Miz worked his first WWE events since WrestleMania XXX this past weekend after being away to film The Marine. He lost to United States Champion Sheamus all three nights. Miz played the heel role and cut what were described as good or "really great" promos about how he was a big movie star and better than everyone else. It's possible he makes his return to WWE TV this week.

Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...-the-hollywood-heel-role/#sVQQfA7wL11CrxtD.99

LOL! Yeah, okay Miz.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cruiserweight division that everyone loves on WCW happens at the same time of NWO stuff?

Yep. In fact a few of the bigger stars of the division debut more or less the same time the NWO does.

Also this event apparently ran on Saturday Night and the first half of it was on TBS...this is more of what I'd expect from Road Wild...

Saturday Night match: The Public Enemy (Rocco Rock and Johnny Grunge) defeated Dick Slater and Mike Enos (3:47)
Saturday Night match: Konnan defeated Chavo Guerrero, Jr. (4:24)
Saturday Night match: The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobs and Jerry Sags) defeated High Voltage (Robbie Rage and Kenny Kaos) (3:22)
Saturday Night match: Alex Wright defeated Bobby Eaton (0:30)
Saturday Night match: The Dungeon of Doom (The Taskmaster, Meng, and The Barbarian) defeated Joe Gomez, Jim Powers, and Mark Starr (3:06)
Saturday Night match: Squire David Taylor defeated Mr. JL (2:37)
Saturday Night match: Diamond Dallas Page defeated The Renegade (6:53)
Saturday Night match: Arn Anderson defeated Hugh Morrus (0:40)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I'd like to announce that the WrassleGAF Year-End Awards will be in video form. So instead of reading a post, you'll be able to watch it live. Hooray!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It saved the Hog Wild PPV which is great so far, so I'm glad it happened.

So many people on that Saturday Night card show up again and again in horrible Road Wild matches, it's the forecaster of doom.

Thank god Arn Anderson went over Hugh Morrus in a squash.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Double A I also watched Fallbrawl 1996 last night and he looked phenomenal in it. The man just doesn't start aging until 1998 or so.

It helps that he looked 40 when he was in his early 20s, but the man is phenomenal. What a fucking talent, and the best Spinebuster you ever did see. One of my favorites.

Joeki11a

Banned
Why Cm Puke acts like a rowdy self centered teenager? and not a professional? when will he officially announced he is finished?.

This guy can easily get on the stone cold podcast and do it officially,
shoot if you must youre gone already anyways.

I dont get it, to leave with no proper sent off, not even putting over a talent looks very bad on this guy career.

I guess after July it will be officially over, thats when I see the punk chants dying down, they still happen because the fans know he is still under contract.

If only Jim Powers had charisma and the ability to speak, he had a good body for a jobber. Actually on second thought, I don't think I ever heard him speak on TV to be honest.

Why Cm Puke acts like a rowdy self centered teenager? and not a professional? when will he officially announced he is finished?.

This guy can easily get on the stone cold podcast and do it officially,
shoot if you must youre gone already anyways.

I dont get it, to leave with no proper sent off, not even putting over a talent looks very bad on this guy career.

I guess after July it will be officially over, thats when I see the punk chants dying down, they still happen because the fans know he is still under contract.
ikNVS7m3Q7tKq.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Because CM Punk was beaten, battered, broken down, overworked and stressed out.

Sometimes work is just work and you have to put yourself ahead of six more months of punishment. That I can understand just fine.

---
In other news:
- At least two casting agencies sent out notices this weekend for a WWE project that takes place next Monday, June 16th. It did not list a location but next week's RAW takes place from Cleveland and we know at least one of the agencies is based in California.

The name of the project is "WWE Orchestra" and WWE is looking for 14 total males and females of any ethnicity to appear in an orchestra. They will be wearing Sting face-paint and not actually playing their instruments as music will be dubbed in, according to the notice. The pay for the gig is $650 plus an agency fee.

The listing for the orchestra stand-ins reads like this:

"Orchestra musicians with own instruments Principal Male or Female / 18 to 70 / All Ethnicities Looking for an orchestra of 14 musicians, all with own instruments - ideally a full orchestra who play together regularly. They will be "fake" playing in the promo, music will be dubbed in. All will be wearing the face paint that Sting is known for. Must be OK with heavy face makeup. Any leads on full orchestras who would love to make some money, would be awesome!! Open to all ages (over 18) and for the most part, people will be unrecognizable."

The listing for the Sting body double reads like this:

"Body double for STING Photo Double Male / 38 to 50 / Caucasian, Ethnically Ambiguous, Hispanic, Mixed, Multi-Ethnic 6'2, 250lb of pure muscle. Prefer a guy with wrestling experience, very fit. HEAVILY muscular. Slightly longer dark hair. Will have a full face of make up on. paying a higher rate as we need a GREAT double for this."

itshappening.gif

Top Bottom