• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

Sblargh

Banned
People complained about Reigns saying two words, but that was actually good. The other two would actually cut the promo, then reigns steps in "believe in the shield" and it was great. He's also not bad at coming at the end of the match, doing a superman punch, howling and being handsome in victory.

I don't get this mentality of removing a successful guy out of a situation where everyone loves him in order to increasingly expose his weakness.

Edit: I feel like every day I'm asking myself (and/or posting about it here) what happened to people pointing at the screen and screaming angry stuff.
If there was one time to parody Zandig's Best Promo In Wrestling History would be now.

"REIGNS! WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?"
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN? ROLLINS HIT ME WITH A CHAIR! FROM BEHIND! JAAAAAAAYZUS!"

RP912

Banned
Diesel was naturally cool on the mic. His whole thing was that he was too cool for wrestling these guys. Roman is more like Orton where he tries REALLY hard to look cool. It's kind of like a guy who gives himself a nickname.

I see your point. Its like there's no such thing as character anymore. Majority of wrestlers nowadays cut promos like they ordering something from the mcdonalds drive thru window.

The nasal voices and the lack of hype just sometimes turn me off to wrestling. There's some that fit the character though like ambrose, wyatts, bo, and etc. I just wish wwe would put more focus on character instead of everything being so fast and quick. It's like if Jake the Snake saying he's going to see a wrestler in hell but do a silly backstage segment with jimmy hart. It's ridiculous.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Reigns just shouldn't talk at all. Reminds me of X-Pac talking in his shoot about they'd always want Kane to talk and X-Pac would go to war with creative about it, 'He's not talking!' because he thought it hurt the character.

And he did. Look at where talking Kane is now. Look at how bad talking Thug Life Bill Goldberg was. Say little, mean a lot. Instead, Roman Reigns is on the Randy Orton promo package followup, 'I am.......... Randy Orton .............. I am. .................... The Viper ................ And I am ............... Going to hurt you...................................'

Ithil

Reigns is stuck on "oh so slow" promo mode. It's like how after Jurassic Park Jeff Goldblum basically did that same performance for the rest of his career.

And him doing a smirky slow promo right after Ambrose does his intense stuff is not a good idea. Ambrose seemed like the star, not Reigns, much like Rollins seemed like the star later on in his heel promo.

url

jeff-goldblum.gif

Ithil

Reigns just shouldn't talk at all. Reminds me of X-Pac talking in his shoot about they'd always want Kane to talk and X-Pac would go to war with creative about it, 'He's not talking!' because he thought it hurt the character.

And he did. Look at where talking Kane is now. Look at how bad talking Thug Life Bill Goldberg was. Say little, mean a lot. Instead, Roman Reigns is on the Randy Orton promo package followup, 'I am.......... Randy Orton .............. I am. .................... The Viper ................ And I am ............... Going to hurt you...................................'

Kane is actually a good talker, though.

RP912

Banned
People complained about Reigns saying two words, but that was actually good. The other two would actually cut the promo, then reigns steps in "believe in the shield" and it was great. He's also not bad at coming at the end of the match, doing a superman punch, howling and being handsome in victory.

I don't get this mentality of removing a successful guy out of a situation where everyone loves him in order to increasingly expose his weakness.

Thats how the wwe has always been. Its like once wrestlers turn face...they become jubilee when they had the strength of magneto. It's kind of annoying. For instance: Daniel Bryan played a amazing heel when he was the heavyweight champion and once he started to turn face...his promos became patronizing.

Why do that when it turns away a fanbase? It blows my mind sometimes but what can you do except deal with it.

Showaddy

Because he's getting pushed on the back of other peoples work. They want to push him solo but they know he's not good enough, so he get's to look good by finishing off matches and promos that have been worked by actual competent wrestlers.

jmdajr

Outside a new 2D super Metroid, not sure what Nintendo can do to hype me. Even then, I probably wouldn't buy the console just to play it.

Sblargh

Banned
Because he's getting pushed on the back of other peoples work. They want to push him solo but they know he's not good enough, so he get's to look good by finishing off matches and promos that have been worked by actual competent wrestlers.

I know, but... it was working. If pushing the guy on the back of other people's work actually makes him a good character (and does not derail the others, which it wasn't), then why not do it?

Ithil

Between the "(city), we're here", the cellphones and the clapping, Wyatt has the most interactive entrance in WWE right now, maybe wrestling in general. Really makes him feel like a star.

RP912

Banned
Between the "(city), we're here", the cellphones and the clapping, Wyatt has the most interactive entrance in WWE right now, maybe wrestling in general. Really makes him feel like a star.

When he can actually make the crowd sing a old church song with his hand gestures, you have a future hofer in the making.

joelseph

The cellphone portion is just a camera trick though right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was hoping bourne stuck around so he could have trolled taker. Doink/Taker would have been a good feud.

Going by various shoots of other wrestlers and even himself, I get the impression that Bourne was hard to work with. I love the Doink gimmick and theme, but I do think it could have been done by someone else just as well if not better. He was overrated as a technical wrestler and technical wrestling didn't even fit his style. It's why I always thought his finisher was dumb and should have been like a double foot stomp or ddt or something instead.

I think he thought he should have been a main eventer because of his heritage, but I don't think that gimmick ever could have main evented with him at the helm.
Those Rotundo genes, man...

Here is where I'll really pick the fights. Bray kicks the crap out of all his family members by a WIDE margin. His mic and character alone stomp all over his dad's, definitely his brother's, and even his grandfather. Blackjack was cool for his time, but you go back and watch his promos? He's real rough around the edges. Which you could make the argument that it added to his character because it made him seem legit, but even back then you saw guys coming up like Brody, Hansen, and Terry Funk pulled off the 'bar fighting tough guy' gimmick far better than Blackjack.

Wonder what side plates they're gonna put on Kane's belt. Maybe a mask on one and a Katie Vick on the other?
I like your understanding of WWE logic Persp, even if Kane got the belt WWE would find a way to make it that even I couldn't be truly happy and a Katie Vick plate is just the way to do it.

Still reeling from that BNB loss to Sheamus, my personal power of June died before it began.

Ithil

I like how in Rollins' absence, Ambrose has sort of taken on his role in the matches, he was doing a lot more running around and leaping last night.

joelseph

They intend to turn him face (as a major face, that is) in the future, so not happening.

Not at all. It's the crowd holding up their cellphone lights. The London crowd did it en mass first, its caught on now.

Would backlit screens be visible from across a stadium though? I'm not denying that people bring their phones out and follow along it just seems like they also bring down LEDs from the ceiling and apply a lens flare effect to really amplify the light.

Promos come from the bayou demon who possessed him, duh

Would backlit screens be visible from across a stadium though? I'm not denying that people bring their phones out and follow along it just seems like they also bring down LEDs from the ceiling and apply a lens flare effect to really amplify the light.

What kind of broke ass phone do you have that doesn't have an LED light on the back?

Sblargh

Banned

Those flashlight apps, maybe?

RP912

Banned
Going by various shoots of other wrestlers and even himself, I get the impression that Bourne was hard to work with. I love the Doink gimmick and theme, but I do think it could have been done by someone else just as well if not better. He was overrated as a technical wrestler and technical wrestling didn't even fit his style. It's why I always thought his finisher was dumb and should have been like a double foot stomp or ddt or something instead.

I dunno...I really like his technical skills. It used to blow my mind seeing doink do random grapple holds. As far as finishers....double foot stomp :/. Doink seem like more of a flying elbow type of dude or piledriver. I hate his woopie cushion finisher.

Now back to the double foot stomp. Out of all the bad wrestling moves in history...I always hated that finisher especially when Kevin Sullivan used it. Its hard to think about the fact he won belts by that shitty finisher alone.

Ithil

In a pitch black stadium? Absolutely. Plus most are not the phone screens, it's the flashlight on the back of the phone.

Sblargh

Banned
STAR FOX IS BACK!!!

also Jake Roberts has been giving Bray tips

Oh wow, people always talked about how their promos sound alike, but I was listening to some Jake Roberts these days and they really sound alike. The script is completely different, but the tone, the pacing, so forth. That's all Jake.

joelseph

In a pitch black stadium? Absolutely. Plus most are not the phone screens, it's the flashlight on the back of the phone.

Shrug, I guess. Never really considered the flash. Still seems overly bright. I will get to the bottom of this mystery!!

Top Bottom