• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

June 13th. 5 years since Misawa died.

Watch this guys, even if you weren't aware of the man I guarantee you'll enjoy this tribute to one of the greatest stories Japanese wrestling has ever told;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcK_pww96ao

Also, this - one of the finest singles matches you'll ever see;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqftofXcukE

0MWOJcn.jpg

Looks great thanks you

EDIT: New Page
machoman052011.jpg

"Brodus says he's open to any wrestling opportunities he might get in Japan"

Shit, perhaps you were right, zord. Best if he doesn't end up in New Japan though, I don't know if I could take Brodus vs Fale! Seems like a potential IGF signing, if anything.

Ultratech

Random match I realized I would love to see:

1993 Vader vs 2007 Umaga in a no-dq match that goes for like 30 minutes. In 1990s AJPW with a 1990s UWF crowd.
2721397352_1mfzkq.gif

Flying sausages vs Vadersaults
Samoan Drops vs Powerbombs
Samoan Wrecking Ball vs Vader Bomb

Not gonna lie, this shit would be legit crazy. And awesome.

Flying big guys everywhere!

Random match I realized I would love to see:

1993 Vader vs 2007 Umaga in a no-dq match that goes for like 30 minutes. In 1990s AJPW with a 1990s UWF crowd.
2721397352_1mfzkq.gif

Flying sausages vs Vadersaults
Samoan Drops vs Powerbombs
Samoan Wrecking Ball vs Vader Bomb
I'd watch the hell out of that. Umaga was crazy for a big guy

KissVibes

Banned
I wanna believe that Vince thought Xavier Woods was JTG with a new gimmick until today and promptly fired his ass.

I'd love to know what's up with Drew and Jinder. Did the let go? Were they fired? 3MB seemed like a good gimmick.

I wanna believe that Vince thought Xavier Woods was JTG with a new gimmick until today and promptly fired his ass.

I'd love to know what's up with Drew and Jinder. Did the let go? Were they fired? 3MB seemed like a good gimmick.

Cutting their losses I would wager. I doubt the WWE audience is going to notice if 3MB are gone.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I guess I'm applying my standards elsewhere, but I'm kind of shocked there are wrestling fans who don't know who Misawa is. Especially ones who watch indie wrestling.

Anyone know any good books on Japanese wrestling?

Stan Hansen's book gives a good insight into how Japanese wrestling worked during his 20 year career over there and Terry Funk's book has a good few stories, but I've yet to find a book that really provides an exhaustive history of wrestling in Japan, which is a real shame.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Every time someone brings up wrestling books I stumble across another autobiography to buy, lol. Didn't know The Destroyer had written one, can't wait to read it.

NHPPhGO.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Check out the rest of that dudes videos, they're all great, especially the Misawa vs Kawada one.

Also, I absolutely adore this Johnny Saint video, a great watch especially of you aren't familiar with that style of wrestling;

Johnny Saint - Top of the World: http://youtu.be/P62IsyzttVI

No idea who Johnny Saint is/was, but that video made me an instant fan. Did he wrestle in the UK? Is this the famed English/European chain wrestling style? Loved his evasion tactics.

Alucard

Banned
I guess I'm applying my standards elsewhere, but I'm kind of shocked there are wrestling fans who don't know who Misawa is. Especially ones who watch indie wrestling.

I was a WWE kid between 1990 and 1996. Started watching WCW when The Outsiders came in, followed the majority of the Monday Night Wars, and I'm pretty sure I stopped watching wrestling right around the invasion angle. I remember watching the Raw after the Benoit incident. Then I took a massive break just because life took me in other directions and I didn't care about wrestling...but I started watching again around 2009/2010 when a buddy of mine showed me a Best of Dragon Gate DVD and took me to an ROH show. From there, I started watching ROH and Dragon Gate, and got back into WWE after a couple of years despite thinking it was utter shit when I started watching again...then got into PWG DVDs a bit, started watching TNA in 2012 at some point, and just been getting more into New Japan over the past few months.

Trying to catch up and learn as much as I can, but there were a good 10 years when I watched almost zero wrestling and didn't care about it at all.

No idea who Johnny Saint is/was, but that video made me an instant fan. Did he wrestle in the UK? Is this the famed English/European chain wrestling style? Loved his evasion tactics.

Yeah, he was a prominent UK wrestler in the 70s & 80s and had a few stints in Japan, where he was well known for being a master of the Euro catch-as-catch-can style, but with the 'escape artist' tricks that he really made his own.

Dr Death has a book. Heard it's ok.

This is one of my favorite wrestling books. It's what made me such a big Jack Brisco fan. And it's available in E-Book format.

I've heard good things about that Brisco book, was going to buy it last time around but I went with Bill Watts book instead.

Alucard

Banned
This is the DVD that truly rekindled my passion and interest in wrestling.
61T0YY4Mr3L._SY300_.jpg

I was blown away by the six-man tags, by the amazing athleticism of Dragon Kid, and the speed of Masato Yoshino.

I'd recommend this DVD to any wrestling fan out there interested in getting a taste of Dragon Gate and just fast-paced in-ring action in general. If the WWE and TNA aren't doing it for you, something like this will remind you how awe-inspiring pro wrestling can still be.

Alucard

Banned
Also, I'm not watching Impact tonight. Going to watch this Kawada/Misawa match posted by Bootaaay instead.

Love the intro. Big fight feel in the house. Really good camera work and a serious vibe with the cameras staying on the guys just standing as they wait for their ring entrances. There should be a promotion out there doing this today...bring in the MMA/boxing/real fight feel element.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also, I'm not watching Impact tonight. Going to watch this Kawada/Misawa match posted by Bootaaay instead.

Love the intro. Big fight feel in the house. Really good camera work and a serious vibe with the cameras staying on the guys just standing as they wait for their ring entrances. There should be a promotion out there doing this today...bring in the MMA/boxing/real fight feel element.

The Dream is Dead.

Alucard

Banned

I can't do it. The past two weeks have left an incredibly sour taste in my mouth. The promotion for Slammiversary has been awful and almost non-existent. For an anniversary show, it has gotten NO video packages. TNA has enough of a library at this point that they should be able to whip up a vignette showing great moments in the event's history...but nope.

I might watch Slammiversary online just for this internet-announced match:
efe.png

Six-man ladder match for the X title with a random Manik appearing.

The A team is regal, Philips and Saxton. This team of Booker T promotion announcer, Renee and Riley are not close to them at all.
I honestly prefer the B team. Didn't know that was Booker's guy, but he's really good. I never compliment Riley, but he works well with the other 2.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I listened to around 20 minutes of Impact last week doing the dishes and man did it sound awful.

A powerful kind of awful that has caused more than one review to contemplate or actually drop Impact. I love Review an Impact (probably my favorite wrestling podcast ever) and would mourn its loss but if they literally cannot stomach reviewing a show that they know is bad because it is too terrible to review is a really powerful statement on how bad it is.

Alverez overreacts all the time, that's his thing after all but he also sounded broken and defeated by last Thursday's Impact.

I myself can't even muster the give a fuck necessary to joke about it.

Riley's really good at commentary and analysis. He's the only thing even close to a heel commentator right now, and I like when he breaks out of expectations and throws out something you figured WWE wouldn't want its people to say.

I listened to around 20 minutes of Impact last week doing the dishes and man did it sound awful.

A powerful kind of awful that has caused more than one review to contemplate or actually drop Impact. I love Review an Impact (probably my favorite wrestling podcast ever) and would mourn its loss but if they literally cannot stomach reviewing a show that they know is bad because it is too terrible to review is a really powerful statement on how bad it is.

Alverez overreacts all the time, that's his thing after all but he also sounded broken and defeated by last Thursday's Impact.

I haven't even read a "TNA Results" recap on the Internet in at least two years.

somedevil

lol, Wai Ting sounded depressed and defeated. I was afraid he was going to jump off the ledge.

Top Bottom