• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

strobogo

Banned
Sunny, I don't know if you're still doing Legends House gifs but I had to SCOOP you

ibobBL98rJo8da.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Youtube recommended me some indy show with Jim Duggan vs some guy from a few years ago, and I was sat there with a question that I wonder of the general public. Who the fuck goes to see these old ass wrestlers in these gymnasiums? You draw a similarity to older bands, but older bands kinda sound like how they used to. These men are beaten down, washed up images of how they used to be. They can't even pretend to be who they were. And someone like Duggan who couldn't work then, why would anyone pay to watch him now?

I understand them doing conventions, doing autographs, telling stories from the road, but who the fuck wants to watch them wrestle?

Youtube recommended me some indy show with Jim Duggan vs some guy from a few years ago, and I was sat there with a question that I wonder of the general public. Who the fuck goes to see these old ass wrestlers in these gymnasiums? You draw a similarity to older bands, but older bands kinda sound like how they used to. These men are beaten down, washed up images of how they used to be. They can't even pretend to be who they were. And someone like Duggan who couldn't work then, why would anyone pay to watch him now?

I understand them doing conventions, doing autographs, telling stories from the road, but who the fuck wants to watch them wrestle?

0.jpg

jred2k

Small towns with nothing better to do. Especially if the match is part of the town fair or something. I've seen a gymnasium packed to watch the Bushwackers FFS.

strobogo

Banned
He needed a mouth piece. Didn't need a mask. He also needed to not put on as much muscle as he did as his ring work started to take a hit in the second half of 1999 because he got too big.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't mean like a lucha mask but like a Vader style mask. Something to distract you away from his lazy eye. Or you could give him a Kane style dilated eye.

strobogo

Banned
God damn, this episode is sad as shit. Pat having a break down over not being able to publicly come out as gay, Jimmy Hart revealing that his daughter had died, Piper continuing to reveal his emotional demons.

God damn, this episode is sad as shit. Pat having a break down over not being able to publicly come out as gay, Jimmy Hart revealing that his daughter had died, Piper continuing to reveal his emotional demons.

Sounds like great joke material for Vince to feed to commentary.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sounds like great joke material for Vince to feed to commentary.

Don't know about Piper or Jimmy, but Vince will never make fun of the people who helped him and his father establish the WWF. Patterson, Brisco(both), Gorilla, Andre, Albano, Rock's grandpa, etc are on the 'do not mock' list.

strobogo

Banned
Don't know about Piper or Jimmy, but Vince will never make fun of the people who helped him and his father establish the WWF. Patterson, Brisco(both), Gorilla, Andre, Albano, Rock's grandpa, etc are on the 'do not mock' list.

That's definitely not true. Patterson had gay jokes made about him for years on screen and he and Jerry Brisco were made fun of every show for the entirety of the Attitude Era.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's definitely not true. Patterson had gay jokes made about him for years on screen and he and Jerry Brisco were made fun of every show for the entirety of the Attitude Era.

Going by what Patterson has said in interviews and what others have said about him, Pat likely told them those jokes.

Alucard

Banned
Can someone recommend a classic/great Japanese women's wrestling match or show to watch? I've never really watched one before, and I'd like to expand my wrestling knowledge a bit. It can be an oldie. I'm not at all familiar with the history of Japanese women's wrestling.

Can someone recommend a classic/great Japanese women's wrestling match or show to watch? I've never really watched one before, and I'd like to expand my wrestling knowledge a bit. It can be an oldie. I'm not at all familiar with the history of Japanese women's wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqftofXcukE

edit: sorry, you said women's. I don't know of very many, mb.

Love your review though! Enjoy the site as well.

Alucard

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqftofXcukE

edit: sorry, you said women's. I don't know of very many, mb.

Love your review though! Enjoy the site as well.

Thanks, man. Lots of good content on the site. The "Pro Wrestling Countdown" articles are the most popular features, but there's plenty of other good stuff too.

I'll check out what you posted regardless.

EDIT: LOL. I watched that match last night when Bootaaay posted it, I think. :) Watching the link posted by Vince now.

strobogo

Banned
God damn, I thought the end of the second to last episode was sad as shit, but the season finale is full of so many feels.

Fink: Bullied heavily as a kid
Jimmy Hart: Daughter died
Gene: Would have died had his wife not donated her kidney
Jim Duggan: First wife (maybe just girlfriend, I'm not sure) died in a car wreck with him
Tony Atlas: Was homeless, sleeping in a dumpster in the winter when a woman found him, dug him out of ice and snow, and literally saved his life.
Pat Patterson: Holding in being publicly gay for 50 years

And all those dudes revealed their big things so Pat could have to chance to finally publicly come out.

Alucard

Banned

Only 3:30 in but Aja Kong gives NO FUCKS.

EDIT: 7 minutes in and two pile driver kickouts. LOL.

These women are literally just beating each other up with no care given to one another's health. Either that, or they know how to make their strikes look incredibly real.

EDIT: 13 minutes in and this match is reaching FUCKED up territory. Ref called a timeout to bandage up Hotta's hand but Aja kept attacking anyway. Man, that blood.

EDIT: 17 minutes in...goddamn. Aja destroying her opponent's hand. Yumiko finally getting in SOME offense, but this still is looking like a long messed up squash.

EDIT: Finished the match. Holy shit. HOLY SHIT. That was BRUTAL. @_@ Makes you realize how shitty today's women's wrestling is in the WWE, and how much harsher performers were to one another in the past. Some of those moves were disguuuusting.

WHAT DID YOU SHOW ME, VINCE?!

Sblargh

Banned
I always remember after Patterson and Brisco beat the Mean Street Posse, Jim Ross threw out, "and he's single, fellas".

I was googling about him and... well...

wikipedia said:
Pat Patterson debuted in Montreal, Quebec in 1958 as "Pretty Boy" Pat Patterson, an effeminate wrestler who wore red lipstick and pink trunks and was accompanied by his pet Poodle

Top Bottom