• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

960x1181

what's with the yellow teeth

dream

It's hard to take anything that happened to Piper or anything Piper says happened to him before a few years or so seriously. Dude was pumped full of booze and drugs for pretty much his entire adult life until just a couple of years ago. And he makes EVERYTHING sound like the most dramatic thing ever, especially in the last few years. My guess at what happened: Pat made a weird sexual comment towards a young Piper, Piper took offense to it. Pat made a lot of weird sexual comments on Legends House towards...everyone really. Even people not in the house.

Heel and I have discussed this, and our theory is a young Roddy Piper allowed Pat Patterson to give him a blowie in exchange for getting a break in this wretched, scummy business. We also suspect that Roddy Piper gave Pat a handy too, but we have no reason to believe that Roddy took a shot in the mouth from Pat.

Although, Roddy complaining about this is very hypocritical. Anyone remember the young boy he used to have around 24/7 as his "assistant?"

RP912

Banned
I only have one favorite piper promo which was on Halloween Havoc 96. When he came out of nowhere and rambling about nothing towards hogan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"and the unpredictable Willow" does a move we've seen a zillion times.

strobogo

Banned
Heel and I have discussed this, and our theory is a young Roddy Piper allowed Pat Patterson to give him a blowie in exchange for getting a break in this wretched, scummy business. We also suspect that Roddy Piper gave Pat a handy too, but we have no reason to believe that Roddy took a shot in the mouth from Pat.

Although, Roddy complaining about this is very hypocritical. Anyone remember the young boy he used to have around 24/7 as his "assistant?"

This would make sense to me. There are many worse things to do than let a guy blow you to get a break. To have some kind of life long guilt over that is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Gay dudes are well known to give excellent blow jobs. Getting a great bj and getting a break in the business sounds like a hell of a deal.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Pat Patterson's Cream Team

strobogo

Banned
Young Pat was a good looking dude.

patpatterson.jpg

Although all that does make the reaction shots of Piper during Pat's confessional seem more interesting. Piper was just staring off blankly and not reacting at all. Probably trying to hide his boner.

Zach

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU sonofanunnamedgoat you, yuck yuck *snort*

I mean, it's kind of fun in really small doses. Lengthy promos? Pretty grating. Three hours of it on commentary? Nearly impossible.

I didn't find it too terribly racist, personally. Maybe because I had heard about it a few times and was expecting blatant racism or something. I find some of the stuff the commentators have said much more racist and cringe-worthy.

strobogo

Banned
I mean, it's kind of fun in really small doses. Lengthy promos? Pretty grating. Three hours of it on commentary? Nearly impossible.

I didn't find it too terribly racist, personally. Maybe because I had heard about it a few times and was expecting blatant racism or something. I find some of the stuff the commentators have said much more racist and cringe-worthy.

i7M5XA1gGWPyy.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I also like how Piper acted all pissy about Nash and the basketball player thing and 'protecting wrestling' when Piper wanted to leave WWE to be an actor and it didn't work out for him.

Though I find it funny that the blackface promo is where people decided Piper was racist. Not all the kinds he called Tito a beaner or called Bruno a wop.

RP912

Banned
One thing I notice about piper is how limited his moveset is. People shit on hogan all the time about his moveset but forget about the fact that piper has just a sleeper, a few punches and a eye gouge.

RP912

Banned
i'm happy people are seeing some of the old guys for what they were: limited as fuck inside the ring.

hence why wrestlers back then were character heavy. Jake the snake was ok at best in the ring but LAWD when he picks up the microphone and cut promos....it's like listening to a classic album for the first time.

strobogo

Banned
hence why wrestlers back then were character heavy. Jake the snake was ok at best in the ring but LAWD when he picks up the microphone and cut promos....it's like listening to a classic album for the first time.

Jake was great at in ring psychology, even though he was physically limited. He was definitely more than ok in the ring.

Zach

Yep, I can deal with Jake's mediocrity in the ring because of his promos and the aura he had (even while looking a little goofy).

Jake was great at in ring psychology, even though he was physically limited. He was definitely more than ok in the ring.

He was a good storyteller in the ring; his actual wrasslin' left much to be desired.

RP912

Banned

I agree with that. Dude was an excellent storyteller in the ring but most of the time I see him doing the basic headlocks and restholds.

fun trivia of the day: Muay Thai fighters's last name is the name of the gym they train out of.

so, example, Yodsanklai Fairtex means his name is Yodsanklai and he trains out of the Fairtex Gym in Thailand.

this is relevant cause if CM Punk ever returns he should come back as Phil Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy.

jred2k

That is literally every sport, though. Basketball players from the 1980's would look like shit if they were transported to a game today. Every generation iterates on the generation before it and pushes the envelope a little bit further.

strobogo

Banned
You can tell a good story with anything if you know how to tell a good story.

I googled "Is Roddy Piper bisexual" and was linkd to a thread at a forum called The Coli. 90% of posts have smileys/emojis of rappers and basketball players. Many of the same I see in NBAGaf threads. But literally almost every single post on a page has at least one, many with multiple.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That is literally every sport, though. Basketball players from the 1980's would look like shit if they were transported to a game today. Every generation iterates on the generation before it and pushes the envelope a little bit further.

I would say that the biggest problem with modern wrestling is that it's been iterated upon itself too many times. A similar situation for modern movies to a lot of modern wrestlers would be a movie that's filled with amazing visual effects but the story is incredibly dull.

And less is more for me. I get more of a reaction out of Rick Rude giving a jobber a neckbreaker or Quake splashing a guy than I do seeing a Psycho Driver off the top rope because there's rarely a reason to care about these people in the ring.

Laserfrog

You can tell a good story with anything if you know how to tell a good story.

I googled "Is Roddy Piper bisexual" and was linkd to a thread at a forum called The Coli. 90% of posts have smileys/emojis of rappers and basketball players. Many of the same I see in NBAGaf threads. But literally almost every single post on a page has at least one, many with multiple.

It sounds like a great forum. The only basketballist I know of is Scottie Pippin from NBA jam.

RP912

Banned
The thing with wrestling is that it's more of "lets outdo the 90s" instead of working hard to keep wrestling successful period. Its like the WWE wants to get the pop culture recognition it did during the attitude era instead of understanding it's audience. TNA on the other hand needs a time out, reboot, and a redbull. I get tired of talent getting thrown out to crowds without any type of potential growth. Hence why some nxt talent get fizzled out because most wwe fans don't know what's emmatainment and why adam rose is dancing with bunnies. You got to do a slow burn which in most cases the WWE is failing to do with the exception of some storylines and wrestlers.

jred2k

I would say that the biggest problem with modern wrestling is that it's been iterated upon itself too many times. A similar situation for modern movies to a lot of modern wrestlers would be a movie that's filled with amazing visual effects but the story is incredibly dull.

And less is more for me. I get more of a reaction out of Rick Rude giving a jobber a neckbreaker or Quake splashing a guy than I do seeing a Psycho Driver off the top rope because there's rarely a reason to care about these people in the ring.

I can't remember if I read it in here or heard it on a podcast, but the perfect description for modern wrestling moves if that they are innovated on basically the same way skateboarding is.

fun trivia of the day: Muay Thai fighters's last name is the name of the gym they train out of.

so, example, Yodsanklai Fairtex means his name is Yodsanklai and he trains out of the Fairtex Gym in Thailand.

this is relevant cause if CM Punk ever returns he should come back as Phil Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy.

You're giving him too much credit with that last name. What are some high schools in Chicago?

jred2k

Man, Tenay can't even fake enthusiasm for TNA any more. The company is truly finished. Have any of the Thursday cuts debuted on Slammiversary?

jred2k

Ok, is anybody fucking watching this? TNA has completely run out ways to pull ref shenanigans. Earl Hebner came down halfway through the Knockouts match to relieve the active ref of his duties because the guy was getting distracted by the Beautiful People. Of course Earl ended up taking a terrible looking bump and the other dude refused to count a pin for Gail Kim.

JavyOO7

It'd be nice if ROH or some other promotion would get a slot at Spike TV but for some reason I think TNA is going to get its deal extended or renewed or whatever. Least deserving promotion to get that honor too. =/

How hard is it to be a viable alternative to WWE in USA? TNA makes it seem like its tough but really its not. Just have competent story lines and a group of people that the fans watching would like to see on a weekly basis.

And make it a one hour show not a two hour show. =/

Top Bottom