• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

strobogo

Banned
It's about as easy for a non-NBA league to be as popular as the NBA for basketball in the US. Or starting up a new football league to compete with the NFL.

It'd be nice if ROH or some other promotion would get a slot at Spike TV but for some reason I think TNA is going to get its deal extended or renewed or whatever. Least deserving promotion to get that honor too. =/

How hard is it to be a viable alternative to WWE in USA? TNA makes it seem like its tough but really its not. Just have competent story lines and a group of people that the fans watching would like to see on a weekly basis.

And make it a one hour show not a two hour show. =/

WWE and TNA's main problem right now is they want to be more than what they are. I guess it's hard to knock WWE because as shitty as their show is they're a successful company. TNA though...

RP912

Banned
It'd be nice if ROH or some other promotion would get a slot at Spike TV but for some reason I think TNA is going to get its deal extended or renewed or whatever. Least deserving promotion to get that honor too. =/

How hard is it to be a viable alternative to WWE in USA? TNA makes it seem like its tough but really its not. Just have competent story lines and a group of people that the fans watching would like to see on a weekly basis.

And make it a one hour show not a two hour show. =/

I drool at the thought of ROH being on a network rather than a syndication :(. Last time I seen roh was when steen was taking the company for hostage.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can't remember if I read it in here or heard it on a podcast, but the perfect description for modern wrestling moves if that they are innovated on basically the same way skateboarding is.

It is 'ok lemme get my shit in' vs 'ok let me get my shit in next.' The comparison I like to draw is the same one from the Plinkett reviews. Darth Maul vs the Jedis. It's a fancy flurry of moves, but there's nothing to it. It's just moves, moves, moves, moves, moves. No emotional resonance, no nothing. And you don't have to set that up in promos or backstage. You can carry that all the way from the start of the match to the end of the match. It's nothing to do with stiffness, it's everything to do with how the match is set up, how 'on the spot' it looks, how the opponent sells. Everyone loves a perfectly choreographed match, but I think it takes away from the match. One of the reasons I prefer Rude/Steamboat to Savage/Steamboat is the way Savage sets up matches. EVERYTHING is planned. It looks so incredibly planned that you instantly snap out of it and go, 'this isn't real. this is fake.' Where as the Steamboat and Rude match have so many spots where one guy goes for one move and hte other goes for another and it kind of looks like a botch but not really because they're veterans and they just lead into a new spot. My biggest problem with a lot of modern wrestling is it looks like a testament to working cooperatively, not competitively. Now professional wrestling is ideally a cooperative thing, but it's supposed to LOOK competitive.

The problem is I don't buy any of the current feuds in WWE as feuds, and I buy very few people as 'real.' People were talking about Luke Harper, and I like Luke a lot, but I think Brody is a much better wrestler than him. Not in a technical sense but because of the world he existed in and the image he built up for himself. I am using the all encompassing 'professional wrestler' term because promos and mannerisms and characters are not just something Vince McMahon came up with when he started calling it Sports Entertainment. And this isn't Harper's fault at all. The guy's conditioned, he's REALLY good and could be a star if things work out, but the modern WWE has such a struggle booking a feud that's believable. I don't believe Bray Wyatt hates John Cena. I don't believe John Cena hates Bray Wyatt.

In the last few years, the only match that gave me this feeling was Brock vs Punk. The ultimate compliment is to make me think for one second, 'Do they know this is supposed to be scripted?' because of how the match carried itself. Because the two wrestlers in that match were very type A personalities, and it translated. Because Punk did the right thing and accepted that Brock was huge and that he needed to look like the underdog to sell its believability. Because of Brock's past. Because of Punk's expressions. It worked. It made me a mark for a moment. And nothing in the WWE since then has done it. The closest I can think of is Triple H wrestling Daniel Bryan because even though we know how Triple H is, his character has existed so long that you can buy him hating some 'midget indie geek.'

Shibata vs Tanahashi is another one I really enjoyed because I KNOW they hate each other. I kind of get that sense of resentment too between Suzuki and Sakuraba, and it makes me incredibly hyped for that match. Not because of their technical skills but because they come off as incredibly credible. Even Yujiro and Naito do a REALLY good job of selling me on them not liking each other anymore(even though they're close friends irl). I just don't think the majority of modern wrestling cares about how credible they look. It's more of a display of athletics than a display of story, and it bums me out.

And it's not a nostalgia thing because honestly? The majority of my youth spent watching wrestling was 1996+ WCW all the way to the end. And I have posted on here as much stating how much I think that shit sucks now.

you should really watch some MMA, Zord. American Hero Wildman vs Piss Drinker Machida (yes, it's their gimmicks) is coming up soon, you should join us. even the poster is great:

UFC175%20FOXSPORTS%2016x9r2.jpg

Because Punk did the right thing and accepted that Brock was huge and that he needed to look like the underdog to sell its believability.

Nah yo, that match is great, don't get me wrong, but in my eyes it suffers because Punk did the opposite of what you say. I've already covered this not too long ago but Punk is at his worst when he's in his "I WANNA FIGHT" mode.

strobogo

Banned
How you gonna recommend a UFC show when people in the 174 and MMA threads are less excited than anyone in here is for WWE? I feel like I've seen that poster a long time ago. Was that a fight that was postponed for like 3 years?

RP912

Banned
The thing about mma is that I don't know anybody beyond 96 and too lazy to even try to find out. I grew up on dan severn, gracie, shamrock, and a few others. The last fighter that was my favorite was silva and.............. that injury :/.

How you gonna recommend a UFC show when people in the 174 and MMA threads are less excited than anyone in here is for WWE? I feel like I've seen that poster a long time ago. Was that a fight that was postponed for like 3 years?

174 was a bad card but everyone n the MMA thread was expecting that. the only 2 fights folks were looking forward to were busts.

175 is the typical "light at the end of the tunnel" card, that replenishes a bit of hope in the future.

also, any chance of seeing Machida laying soulless inside the cage is a chance i have to take.

It's a new poster. One of the other main fights got scrapped because one of the two ran out the back of a gym to avoid a drug test, the guy who took his place failed a test months ago, and the other original fighter just failed a test.

It's nice to see when some sports are more ridiculous than pro wrestling.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

He was once a WWE golden boy and TNA hired all of those people? Also by never being that high on the card he probably never got a gigantic contract from TNA (that or his most recent one was signed at the right time so they can't get out of it)

He's awful though.

EDIT: Self Rock Bottom after a football player distraction. Is this WCW?

jred2k

I miss the days when people could say stuff like this on professional wrestling shows.

I can't believe that one guy called AJ a redneck. That is pretty insensitive.
He was once a WWE golden boy and TNA hired all of those people? Also by never being that high on the card he probably never got a gigantic contract from TNA (that or his most recent one was signed at the right time so they can't get out of it)

He's awful though.

EDIT: Self Rock Bottom after a football player distraction. Is this WCW?

I watched the hype package and I couldn't make it any further. In the bar, when he told Storm he was a good actor I thought he was going to give him a copy Behind Enemy Lines 2.

strobogo

Banned
New person outside of WrassleGAF I don't like at all:

Pimpwerx. PEACE. Every single post. Almost every post is some condescending post about how much better the Heat/LeBron are.

Also, LeBron is a bitch. Jordan would never walk up the court and refuse to go in even if the Bulls were down by 30 with 4 minutes to go. That's some shameful shit. Dude just gave up on his team, his fans, and the whole franchise.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Pimpwerx. PEACE. Every single post. Almost every post is some condescending post about how much better the Heat/LeBron are.

Also, LeBron is a bitch. Jordan would never walk up the court and refuse to go in even if the Bulls were down by 30 with 4 minutes to go. That's some shameful shit. Dude just gave up on his team, his fans, and the whole franchise.

He turned Heel again?

Toki767

Pretty sure he posts in here sometimes too.

jred2k

So just tuned in... what happened to MVP vs E. Y or was that last month?

MVP got hurt while working an indie event about two weeks ago. Now it's a tripel-threat with two qualifying matches on the show. One was Austin Aeries vs. Kenny King and the other is Bobby Lashley vs. somebody I forget.

Why don't you tell him this instead of hiding in the wrestling thread?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This match can have no good conclusion.

Either:

1. A Double turns heel for the millionth time and wins the belt.
2. Lashley wins the belt and we get him cutting promos on Impact.
3. EY keeps the belt and ratings continue their slow decline whenever he shows up.

Toki767

This match can have no good conclusion.

Either:

1. A Double turns heel for the millionth time and wins the belt.
2. Lashley wins the belt and we get him cutting promos on Impact.
3. EY keeps the belt and ratings continue their slow decline whenever he shows up.
4. Title will be held up somehow because that's what WWE is doing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Signatures aren't allowed here?

Well, shit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Sina 4 Lyfe. Long live #Queen Eva.
How many posts will you even keep this up for? Pimpwerx has an entire catalog of dedication. Are you that dedicated even?

I don't like the "John Sina" nickname you guys use, because it implies that John is a sinner. We all know the man is a saint in and out of the ring. Please consider my request.

Top Bottom