• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

I went to one TNA PPV when they still had the multi-sided ring. I think there was at least 2000 folks there if not more.

Funny how people say they have to be different. They were different, and then Hogan and Bischoff made them un-unique. Also interesting how Eric answered no TNA question in the Austin podcast. Like none. It wasn't even brought up.

TNA was a train wreck even before Hogan and Bischoff came in. They were already a company that was comprised of promising up and comers who were being buried in order to give jobs to whichever fired WWE star they could sign up.

There was zero consistency to their product. Individual feuds were often handled pretty well, but the tone of the show was all over the place from one segment to the next. The in ring product was good, but the endings being booked at PPVs were garbage. Almost nothing had a clean finish.

I actually thought of a scenario where WWE buys TNA and then puts on NXT in its place, probably under the TNA banner.

TNA name is toxic. if Vinnie ever buys this POS organization he should erase it from history, minus MMA Jeff Jarret. that shit deserves its own DVD.

Here, quote to see if I did this right...

Damn!

That is some dedication.

---

I REALLY enjoyed TNA from 2004-2006 or so, but it sort of went to shit shortly after Kurt Angle joined em. But those 2-3 years before that were awesome, hell even the weekly PPVs shows were pretty damn good. I liked that Regional Carny Show feel they had.

jmdajr

TNA was a train wreck even before Hogan and Bischoff came in. They were already a company that was comprised of promising up and comers who were being buried in order to give jobs to whichever fired WWE star they could sign up.

There was zero consistency to their product. Individual feuds were often handled pretty well, but the tone of the show was all over the place from one segment to the next. The in ring product was good, but the endings being booked at PPVs were garbage. Almost nothing had a clean finish.

Can't disagree there. The finish at the PPV I went to made no sense.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I got linked to this Bleacher Report article by some David Levin. Apparently he is or was a senior writer.

This shit is so poorly written, so lazy, it makes Greg Miller look like Lester Bangs. I thought this was some weird user blog thing at first, but apparently IT WAS PUBLISHED.

The Fall of TNA would be a pretty good DVD for WWE to make.

They could talk about crap like the VKM angle they tried to pull. Jeff Hardy wrestling a match off his face. Those early Russo years that felt like WCW 2.0

And Monty Brown was cool. Shame his run in WWE was cut short. The Pounce was a good finisher when he nailed it.

stro, you should guest review Pride 32. only 1 decision, bunch of brutal finishes, half the fighters getting popped for roids afterwards.

that or Pride 33 where Nick Diaz subs Gomi then gets popped for marijuana and Shogun destroys pre-horse meat Overeem.

i really liked your 31 review.

Random network content idea. License new japan footage with WWE guys and dub over commentary with JR and Regal.

Stuff like Hogan vs Muta and Andre stuff

Can't disagree there. The finish at the PPV I went to made no sense.

One thing I've been very happy with about WWE's recent booking... PPV matches, title matches and qualifying matches with actual finishes. Not that they were ever TNA level bad in that regard, but it's refreshing that I can't actually remember a match at the last three PPVs that had anything other than a clean finish.

TNA would never have booked a clean end to the streak, for example.

Would rather they just offer a "No Commentary" option on their PPV content and let me just watch with the crowd noise.

PWG does it and they have commentators that people actually like to listen to.

The Fall of TNA would be a pretty good DVD for WWE to make.

They could talk about crap like the VKM angle they tried to pull. Jeff Hardy wrestling a match off his face. Those early Russo years that felt like WCW 2.0

And Monty Brown was cool. Shame his run in WWE was cut short. The Pounce was a good finisher when he nailed it.

"The fall" haha.

"The slow painful stillbirth " would be more appropriate.

Best jumping knee;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7z80687P2k

Grumpy Jumbo beating the shit out of Misawa is awesome.

Spike should ask for late broadcast of NXT so it remains exclusive for the Network live, then air it later.

It's a heck of a better product.

They should get on the phone to New Japan - get a couple of English commentators, subtitle some promos and you could surely make a weekly programme to replace Impact. Would be a better lead-in for Spike's MMA stuff, perhaps.

Zach

Damn!

That is some dedication.

Yeah, I just thought that it'd be a good idea in case I wanted to revisit something. I definitely won't be able to remember which show is which a year from now, so it seems wise for future me.

No one should ever wear gray tights/trunks. It looks terrible on everyon.

Truth.

Arn Anderson has the best kneelift in tha business

Jake has a pretty good one too.

Double-A also has the best spinebuster and sunset flip avoidance skills. >_>

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno if anyone can ever argue about Arn Anderson's Spinebuster. Completely bulletproof.

RP912

Banned
Arn Anderson was so underrated in the ring its not even funny. He used to do a spine buster without no fucks given. Short, swift, and to the point. The one he did on undertaker at WM18 was greatness.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Arn Anderson was so underrated in the ring its not even funny. He used to do a spine buster without no fucks given. Short, swift, and to the point. The one he did on undertaker at WM18 was greatness.

It was beautiful. So snug. It's like being a kid, being picked up. He's amazing.

Sblargh

Banned
Speaking of Arn, I started reading Ole's book becaue he hates Vince and I'm in the mood for that.

But I am getting the general feeling that while this old school people are reasonably good at telling why the current product sucks, they are far less good at proposing solutions. Like, Cornette's fantasy booking for the invasion was to convince the people there was real heat between WCW and WWE people, to the point of leading to a brandsplit because WWE people would refuse to get in the ring with WCW people threatening to hurt them for realsies.

I mean, at least it is giving that pool of talent some due credit, but dang, nobody would buy it. It would just fall flat and people would be mad that the brand is split for bullshit storyline reasons.

Speaking of Arn, I started reading Ole's book becaue he hates Vince and I'm in the mood for that.

But I am getting the general feeling that while this old school people are reasonably good at telling why the current product sucks, they are far less good at proposing solutions. Like, Cornette's fantasy booking for the invasion was to convince the people there was real heat between WCW and WWE people, to the point of leading to a brandsplit because WWE people would refuse to get in the ring with WCW people threatening to hurt them for realsies.

I mean, at least it is giving that pool of talent some due credit, but dang, nobody would buy it. It would just fall flat and people would be mad that the brand is split for bullshit storyline reasons.

you could maybe salvage that by making it that the WCW people would be wrestling to injure the WWE guys to free up TV time.

It's still the greatest missed opportunity since the WWF had Hogan and Flair in at the same time while both were still in their prime back in 1993. I mean, we know why that never happened, but still.

Watching the first episode on that New Japan set - it's a special from NYC and Inoki's crazy over in the Garden, or perhaps they were just happy to see David Schultz get beat up. Short match that was all about making Inoki look good. Black Tiger vs Mil Mascaras up next!

Incidentally, Schultz is pretty damn underrated. Very solid in the ring and he cut a hell of a promo.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watching the first episode on that New Japan set - it's a special from NYC and Inoki's crazy over in the Garden, or perhaps they were just happy to see David Schultz get beat up. Short match that was all about making Inoki look good. Black Tiger vs Mil Mascaras up next!

Incidentally, Schultz is pretty damn underrated. Very solid in the ring and he cut a hell of a promo.

Can you cut a gif of cap of the quality I should expect from it?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding best suplex, I gotta give it to Mr. Perfect. Not just his Fisherman's, but almost every suplex he ever did looked great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
dat Corey Graves look
cORZInk.png

Sblargh

Banned
Question for those who were watching at them time. During the invasion thingie, were you interested in the McMahon family infighting?

Hope you've all updated your Steam Wishlists cos sale time is coming!

Also, I need more WrassleGAF on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrluchador/

--

Question for those who were watching at them time. During the invasion thingie, were you interested in the McMahon family infighting?

Sorta yes, but it never really went anywhere or picked up.

Flair v McMahon in the 50/50 aftermath was far more interesting, and if that had been part of the Invasion Angle (along with the injection of cancer/NWO) would have been a lot better. Just really poorly timed.

Top Bottom