• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

RP912

Banned
Triple H pretty much had an ROH match at WM...and it was awesome.

Dude is killing it in 2014. #teamhaitch

I know dude 0_0...trips must have locked himself in a dark basement cell and watch 48 hours of indy footage because holy shit. Triple h wrestled like wm 30 was in a high school gym.

Not a huge fan of trips but he made me a believer this year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Triple H pretty much had an ROH match at WM...and it was awesome.

Dude is killing it in 2014. #teamhaitch

I know dude 0_0...trips must have locked himself in a dark basement cell and watch 48 hours of indy footage because holy shit. Triple h wrestled like wm 30 was in a high school gym.

Not a huge fan of trips but he made me a believer this year.

He's always loved that shit. Like they said (seriously) over 20 times in the King of Kings DVD, he's a "student of the game."

Vince also loves that shit too. But he knows it's not what he makes money on. Triple H has put on some of the best matches of his career this year.

jmdajr

duststar_zps8fd1d92d.gif

edit: Crap time for WWE to be saving money. That bling could have been used to give Stardust an insanely epic entrance.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, Stardust legit looks like something I should watch. I guess I'll do that today.

DMczaf

So I missed Raw. Is Stardust like a reboot of Goldust? Does he take the character back to his androgynous roots? Will he play mind games with macho wrestlers with love letters and gifts?

Aiii

So not worth it
It's worth noting that "Cody Rhodes" was written off of the JBL and Cole show last week, so it does seem Stardust is a permanent gimmick change.

brehs, I haven't been watching all of RAW for some time but I am mad that I missed Stardust, holy shit. :lol

I can't stop myself from laughing every time I see him

#strouded

Ok, I can't find what this refers to. Any help? Reigns just comes off as sleazy to me, and that lame vignette pretty much solidified it. I was reading a few pages back and I'm with that Titus dude in that it may cause me to take another long hiatus from watching. Can't stand him.

What are people's thoughts on what happens once Daniel Bryan comes back? I had the (insane and now embarrassingly unrealistic) idea that Kane might go over last night to give the veteran one more short reign before retirement and then have him drop it to the returning Bryan...but now it's pretty much Orton, Cena, or Reigns. Bah, it pains me to see Wyatt, Cesaro, and Sheamus lost in this shuffle (know Sheamus has his haters here, but you guys are nuts - he's top notch). And Del Rio, well, he's lost all credibility.

jred2k

Speaking of Paul E. He was on the Raw panel yesterday and was killing it as always.

I'm interested to hear what the Paul Heyman DVD is like. It's 3 discs so I'm assuming it's a doc and a bunch of his "clients" matches. Hopefully the documentary makes its way on to the network quickly.

joelseph

What are people's thoughts on what happens once Daniel Bryan comes back? I had the (insane and now embarrassingly unrealistic) idea that Kane might go over last night to give the veteran one more short reign before retirement and then have him drop it to the returning Bryan...but now it's pretty much Orton, Cena, or Reigns. Bah, it pains me to see Wyatt, Cesaro, and Sheamus lost in this shuffle (know Sheamus has his haters here, but you guys are nuts - he's top notch). And Del Rio, well, he's lost all credibility.

Titles will go to Bray at MiTB. Bryan will come back and take them back. Puts Bray over the weak Cena feud and gives Bryan a revenge angle from his RR loss.

Bowser

They're definitely putting the titles on a heel as Bryan's gonna challenge for 'em as soon as he's back. I think Orton's too obvious (and too boring). If I had to guess they're going to Bray or Del Rio. Too early for Cesaro who has a built in feud with Lesnar coming soon.

jred2k

Weirdest part of the Star Dust debut? Actual "Lets Go Axel" chants. I heard them with my own ears, but it took a while to really register.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't see any problem with either Bray or Rollins as champion. We need a heel champ, goddammit. Summerslam is built around Rise Above Heels.

Sblargh

Banned
Bryan is pretty much Bray's only hope now. We'll have to see if our hero can Un-Cena him and hopefully this company will have a heel left.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Weirdest part of the Star Dust debut? Actual "Lets Go Axel" chants. I heard them with my own ears, but it took a while to really register.

Cleveland also tried to chant 'this is awesome' for Kane vs Cena, so I wouldn't give it too much pause.

Cagey

Banned
Ok, I can't find what this refers to. Any help?

For Brandon Stroud, critically acclaimed professional wrestling journalist, noted for his profound application of feminist theory to weekly episodic wrestling television and his ability to identify and indeed establish trends in the internet wrestling community. He's the New Yorker and New York, all wrapped into one brilliant package.

Two PPVs coming up this weekend, who's watching?

NJPW, "DOMINION", 2014.06.21
Osaka Bodymaker Colosseum

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
2. Tetsuya Naito vs Tama Tonga
3. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs Yuji Nagata & Tomoaki Honma
4. NWA World Heavyweight Tag Titles: TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) © vs K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi © vs Ricochet
6. Kazushi Sakuraba & Toru Yano vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka)
7. Bullet Club (AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi) vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii)
8. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) © vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs Bad Luck Fale

ROH, "BEST IN THE WORLD", 2014.06.22
Tennessee State Fairground

www.ustream.tv/ringofhonor - $24.95

1. ACH vs Takaaki Watanabe vs Tadarius Thomas vs Caprice Coleman vs BJ Whitmer vs Tomasso Ciampa
2. Submission Match: Roderick Strong vs Cedric Alexander
3. Kevin Steen vs Silas Young
4. The Briscoe Brothers (Mark & Jay Briscoe) vs Matt Hardy & Michael Bennett
5. ROH World TV Title: Jay Lethal © vs Matt Taven
6. ROH World Tag Titles: reDRagon (Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish) © vs Bad Influence (Christopher Daniels & Kazarian)
7. ROH World Title: Adam Cole © vs Michael Elgin

Definitely watching New Japan, not sure about ROH yet though. Red Dragon vs Bad Influence should be a lot of fun and Elgin FINALLY gets the title here, surely?

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
4. NWA World Heavyweight Tag Titles: TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) © vs K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
7. Bullet Club (AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi) vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii)
8. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) © vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe

1. ACH vs Takaaki Watanabe vs Tadarius Thomas vs Caprice Coleman vs BJ Whitmer vs Tomasso Ciampa
6. ROH World Tag Titles: reDRagon (Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish) © vs Bad Influence (Christopher Daniels & Kazarian)

Definitely watching New Japan, not sure about ROH yet though. Red Dragon vs Bad Influence should be a lot of fun and Elgin FINALLY gets the title here, surely?

Passing on ROH and maybe NJPW. Too many tag matches for my liking. Although Ricochet vs Ibushi should be fantastic.

I hope that somehow, after the ROH PPV is all said and done, O'Riley is the champ.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to watching Dominion on my time, I can't stay up.

I'm looking for:

Young Bucks to drop the Jr Tag Titles to Time Splitters, but if KUSHIDA is getting more time in the spotlight {(which he should)) then it isn't time yet.
Naito to make Tama Tonga look great and hopefully see some development from Tonga
Honestly not interested in TenKoji vs KES.
Ibushi to lose (!) to Ricochet
Falling Asleep for Sakuraba/Yano vs Suzuki-Gun
Bullet Club to win via Yujiro, help him shine. Probably get the pin on Ishii. NEVER time.
Anderson/Gallows to retain but dig into a good feud between MakaHashi. At the end they'll drop those titles, just not tonight. Super face team with those two.
Nakamura ain't dropping it to Fale, but I'm a little concerned with how it appears Bullet Club will get allllll the gold.

jred2k

If you had told me a year ago that Bad Luck Fale would be main eventing a PPV, in a singles match, in 2014 I would have never believed you.

For Brandon Stroud, critically acclaimed professional wrestling journalist, noted for his profound application of feminist theory to weekly episodic wrestling television and his ability to identify and indeed establish trends in the internet wrestling community. He's the New Yorker and New York, all wrapped into one brilliant package.

I had never heard of him before. Interesting. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't buy NJPW PPVs to watch failed American wrestlers

Years from now, we'll all remember how Bullet Club ruiend a really good NJPW product. And I'll point at Bootaaay, and I will say to him, 'I told you so.'

Passing on ROH and maybe NJPW. Too many tag matches for my liking.

Yeah, I'm not entirely a fan of the booking style they've been using this year - they seem to be spreading out the big singles matches, so you'll rarely see a show with 3 or 4 of the singles titles defended. I guess it makes sense, 2013 was a hell of a year, but it also put a lot of strain on a relatively small roster.

Vince McMahon said:
Honestly not interested in TenKoji vs KES.

Me either, but I'm hoping KES get the titles then feud with Bullet Club/TanaMakabe to try and become double champions. There isn't any need for two heavyweight tag title matches on a single show, imo.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly there's no need for THREE tag titles up on a show, even if one is Jrs.

The Miz vs Necro Butcher

Yeah, that could definitely work. I honestly think Ziggler would fit in well with New Japan's current style, also.

I've always kinda wanted Cena to do that. He'd be the biggest heel ever.

There's something to be said about working around the world and then going to WWE.

The Miz vs. Necro Butcher
The Miz vs. ZANDIG
The Miz vs. Abdullah Kobayashi
The Miz vs. Shibata
The Miz vs. Mickie Knuckles
The Miz vs. Icarus
The Miz vs. Freight Train
The Miz vs. Abdullah The Butcher (and yes, I'm fully aware of the implications)

That's a lot of tag matches, but they're all going to be good tag matches, so I don't mind.

Bucks vs. Splitters should be a great sprint.

Naito vs. Tonga is intriguing; I want to see what the two of them can do together.

Nagata's getting on in years, but Goto/Shibata vs. Nagata/Honma should be hard-hitting fun. I hope this starts the Goto/Shibata push.

TenKoji vs. KES should be okay, but it seems superfluous on the card when you already have Goto/Shibata vs. Nagata Honma. This is where the pacing of the card worries me.

Sakuraba/Yano vs. Suzuki/Iizuka doesn't do a lot for my interest.

Styles/Yujiro vs. Okada/Ishii is a plot advancement match, so it won't wow anyone.

Anderson/Gallows vs. Tanahashi/Makabe is the probable match of the show, but those Gallows vs. Tanahashi or Gallows vs. Makabe stretches are going to be rough.

Nakamura will be a god if he can drag a good match out of Fale.

I guess Watanabe's random stay in the US continues. That's a spot-monkey match, and neither Whitmer nor Ciampa does anything for me. So, it's a matter of what kind of crazy flip Coleman, ACH or Thomas can pull off to save the match.

Strong's looked bored the last few times I've seen him, and I don't think of Alexander as a submissions wrestler. I'm not sure this will work.

Is this Steen's farewell? Young has to go over to keep his gimmick alive.

Briscoes vs. Matt Hardy and Michael Bennett will only be entertaining if the Briscoes or Papa Briscoe interact with Maria. The actual match looks competent, at best.

I'm struggling to remember Matt Taven.

reDRagon vs. Bad Influence should be great, but I remember thinking that for one of the Motor City Machine Guns' first ROH matches, which was strangely underwhelming. This
could be a victim of its hype.

I get the sense Elgin's getting the Nigel McGuinness Special, a title win way past the moment when he should have won the title that it'll be anti-climactic.

I don't buy NJPW PPVs to watch failed American wrestlers

Years from now, we'll all remember how Bullet Club ruiend a really good NJPW product. And I'll point at Bootaaay, and I will say to him, 'I told you so.'

I'd honestly be surprised if Bullet Club are still around this time next year - the most volatile stables never last long (although some would say it's gone on long enough, I'm actually fine with Bullet Club and, shock horror, have enjoyed a lot of the recent matches involving Bullet Club members).

Incidentally, during that period when New Japan was a "really good" product, weren't you mostly bitching about "lol, Okada wins" and Shibata/Naito being treated like shit?

Also, it's rude to point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd honestly be surprised if Bullet Club are still around this time next year - the most volatile stables never last long (although some would say it's gone on long enough, I'm actually fine with Bullet Club and, shock horror, have enjoyed a lot of the recent matches involving Bullet Club members).

Incidentally, during that period when New Japan was a "really good" product, weren't you mostly bitching about "lol, Okada wins" and Shibata/Naito being treated like shit?

Also, it's rude to point.

'lol Okada wins' started after Bullet Club. And having to wrestle anyone in Bullet Club other than Karl IS being treated like shit.

Is this what you want, Bootaaay. NJPW destroyed just so you can laugh at dumb Young Bucks jokes?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bullet Club definitely won't be around in a year. I agree. Too many stars ready to break out, but this is getting them from Point A to Point B.

Oh shit GLORY this weekend huh. I'm in for GLORY.

Toshiaki Kawada vs Kenta Kobashi - Asunaro Cup Match - (AJPW 1989/07/01)

Early Kobashi match here, from the old rookie's tournament All Japan used to run. It's in 60fps, from the Kobashi Miraculous Resurrection collection.

Dragonzord said:
Is this what you want, Bootaaay. NJPW destroyed just so you can laugh at dumb Young Bucks jokes?

Seriously, how much of a show is actually taken up by The Bucks telling people to suck it, or Doc & Karl doing douchey nWo shit? It's part of the character, they're meant to be fucking OBNOXIOUS.

I mean, perhaps it helps that I actually LIKE watching The Bucks wrestle.

Top Bottom