• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

kiguel182

Also watching Mr. NXT for the first time now too. Fun stuff, and Zayn looking disbelieving is great.

Consider Ring of Honor and NXT my weekly wrestling shows of choice.

I can't get into Ring Of Honor. I don't know if it's the production or something but it just doesn't grab me.

Heel

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117192344&postcount=5613

ibh7X8pJt7mkKY.gif

Alucard

Banned
I can't get into Ring Of Honor. I don't know if it's the production or something but it just doesn't grab me.

They are upping their production starting with this Sunday's PPV. Really curious to see how the show looks.

ROH is a little hard to get into because it only gets an hour a week and has a ton of wrestlers. It's hard for stories to continue from week to week. If you stick with it longterm, though, eventually you get a full story for each feud. The Taven/Lethal feuud is a perfect example of that. Their PPV promo vid tells an awesome story. It took a couple of TV months to get there, but it has paid off.

kiguel182

They are upping their production starting with this Sunday's PPV. Really curious to see how the show looks.

ROH is a little hard to get into because it only gets an hour a week and has a ton of wrestlers. It's hard for stories to continue from week to week. If you stick with it longterm, though, eventually you get a full story for each feud. The Taven/Lethal feuud is a perfect example of that. Their PPV promo vid tells an awesome story. It took a couple of TV months to get there, but it has paid off.

Will it start this PPV? I might watch it then. It'll have Kazarian and Daniels so I'll enjoy that for sure.

I believe you but every time I try and watch it I just kind of give up. I've tried several times since they have great wrestlers but never grabs me.

I'll give them a change next week then, maybe it's time.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I haven't been into Ring of Honor since the Pure title days, but I'm hoping that eventually changes. It's not them lacking for talent or even capability, but certainly seem to lack a presence of anything I ever feel I have to watch when it comes to big matches. Really a shame when any company is single match I'll catch on Youtube only.

The improvement in quality of lighting and camera work will go a long way though I'm sure.

Alucard

Banned
Will it start this PPV? I might watch it then. It'll have Kazarian and Daniels so I'll enjoy that for sure.

I believe you but every time I try and watch it I just kind of give up. I've tried several times since they have great wrestlers but never grabs me.

I'll give them a change next week then, maybe it's time.

Yeah, they've said they're going to up their production game as of this Sunday's Best in the World PPV. 25 bucks on TV or 15 bucks on iPPV.

I feel like ROH should be able to pull off or get close to NXT levels of production quality. Maybe not the huge ramp and screens, but close enough at least with the lighting.

dream

Just asking but why do you always post negative things about him all the time? If he bothers you so much just put him on ignore.

I think there's a part of me that is fascinated by him. Has he ever known happiness? Has he ever known love? Has he ever felt the gentle caress of a lover's touch? I have my suspicions, of course, but since I can't categorically confirm or deny them, I remain intrigued by his existence.

FyreWulff

The Young Bucks are the size of women wrestlers anyway, don't let that GIF fool you.

A cruiserweight versus a UFC heavyweight is miles more believable than Paige doing anything remotely harmful to that cruiserweight.

It's wrestling.

Where some wrestlers can't be made to tap because they have supernatural powers.

somedevil

I think there's a part of me that is fascinated by him. Has he ever known happiness? Has he ever known love? Has he ever felt the gentle caress of a lover's touch? I have my suspicions, of course, but since I can't categorically confirm or deny them, I remain intrigued by his existence.

Interesting response though you didn't answer my question but I'm just going to drop it.

Alucard

Banned
Man, Neville vs. Kidd on NXT last week was great. 4 star match on TV. I love watching these two guys, and I love the Kidd/Natalya relationship development.

KenOD

Hahahahaha, "I'll take your shirt! I"LL TAKE YOUR SHIRT!". Oh Bo Dallas, I can't wait for you to show up on JBL and Cole Show with Renee Young. Also if he ever gets fired from the WWE, he'll have a hell of a future at Chikara.

Man, Neville vs. Kidd on NXT last week was great. 4 star match on TV. I love watching these two guys, and I love the Kidd/Natalya relationship development.

Aye. Kidd has always been able to work well, he's just never really had anything to work with or for that wasn't just a generic feud.

I hope the rumours of him getting a mask is true though, but it's done purely for Tyson to "hide" from Natalya because she can't recognise him. Escape from the badgering and passive aggressiveness she has. That would be hilarious to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can't get a good shot of the other side, but Bull has a jacket that is half American flag, half Soviet Union flag.
R7Vu9oc.jpg

And it is the most incredible jacket I've ever seen.

strobogo

Banned
I said it yesterday or the day before: Bull Nakano can get it get it. All day.

Bull, Sherri, and Luna. All three of them. At the same time. I don't give a fuck. Fire me. I'm already fired.

G-Fex

You're proposing is most inappropriate and borderline sexual harassment.

I'm going to decline and ask that you stop such things before I notify mods.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How long has joshi been around for, and were the 90s the golden age of joshi?

AJWPA goes all the way back to the 50s though I don't know of any major joshis before the 80s. 80s was when it lit up, 90s was when it became more over than most the male wrestling at the time. 90s is the golden era of womens wrestling in general. Nothing WWE or Shimmer or any other promotion has come close to AJWP.

strobogo

Banned
I'm watching a documentary on the Bulls' first championship season. So nice to see talent and skill after seeing Superbrawl V.

AJWPA goes all the way back to the 50s though I don't know of any major joshis before the 80s. 80s was when it lit up, 90s was when it became more over than most the male wrestling at the time. 90s is the golden era of womens wrestling in general. Nothing WWE or Shimmer or any other promotion has come close to AJWP.

Everything in Japan blew the fuck up from around 1985-1996. Shit was bananas. So much quality from that time period. AJPW and NJPW at their peaks, smaller groups becoming popular and bringing new styles to the big companies and US. I feel like all the companies in Japan should unite and do their own version of the WWE Network.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Superbrawl 1995 is a DOGSHIT show.

You want to see Alex Wright vs Paul Roma where Roma won't sell or give Alex any offense because he didn't want to put him over?

You want a 17 minute Nasty Boys/Harlem Heat match?

You want a 16 minute very out of shape Repo Man vs Dustin Rhodes match?

You want a 7 minute Kevin vs Dave Sullivan match?

You want a 12 minute Jim DOOGUN vs Buckhouse Bunk match?

You want a skinny Hogan vs out of shape, unmotivated Vader match where Vader appears to be blown up 5 minutes in, has Vader kick out of the leg drop at 1, then Hogan kick out of a powerbomb and big splash to not even Hulk Up, but immediately get up and kick the shit out of Vader and Ric Flair?

Then this is the show for you.
I'm getting to that show by early next week as I'm currently near the end of Fallbrawl 1995.

Alucard

Banned
Why is a plancha called a plancha?

Just saw Marc Mero pull one off against Stone Cole at KotR...and Owen Hart is on commentary.

Alucard

Banned

Thanks for the info. Is there any way to watch AJPW chronologically? At least the major shows in the 90s?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Just saw Marc Mero pull one off against Stone Cole at KotR...and Owen Hart is on commentary.

I've always wondered if there was a good etymology piece on the names of wrestling moves. Most are self explanatory but a lot are just weird.

KenOD

It's a shortened form of tabla de la plancha, which is an ironing board in Spanish. It makes more sense when you picture two wrestlers on the ground and the leaping wrestler coming down on them flat, to form a "table" for a split second.

I'm not sure if there is an etymology piece on wrestling movies, but I would love to read one someday. Most of what we can find is just old wrestling tales, like plancha that came out of the guys who did Texas and Puerto Rico wrestling. Someone should pitch this to David Shoemaker.

strobogo

Banned
I'm getting to that show by early next week as I'm currently near the end of Fallbrawl 1995.

Prepare to hate yourself.

It's a shortened form of tabla de la plancha, which is an ironing board in Spanish. It makes more sense when you picture two wrestlers on the ground and the leaping wrestler coming down on them flat, to form a "table" for a split second.

I'm not sure if there is an etymology piece on wrestling movies, but I would love to read one someday. Most of what we can find is just old wrestling tales, like plancha that came out of the guys who did Texas and Puerto Rico wrestling. Someone should pitch this to David Shoemaker.

I was thinking something like it had to be related to the person jumping doing a planche motion in the air. Kind of close.

The NXT ref with the weird voice got promoted to Smackdown it seems. No clue what city they were in, but I haven't heard any computer generated crowd noise yet.

its so weird that they disolved the shield out of nowhere. All they needed to do was one vignette where Dean is going on an on about how he will get revenge about betrayal. Roman is all Calm down baby whats past is past time to move forward. Then dean says well you may not care but i do but i care

Roman scoffs and leaves dean to his machinations

instead Regins stole everything.

zKTvkkq.gif

strobogo

Banned
I remember everyone joking that Reigns would get to keep the cool gear and theme whilst Rollins & Ambrose would get shafted with jobber gear when they eventually split up.

Kinda sad.

It's not sad and it makes the most sense. Despite Roman being the muscle of the group, he's the shortest and I'm pretty sure Dean is actually more jacked. The riot gear makes him look bigger and more menacing. I'm sure he'll eventually lose it, but there really isn't a need. I don't think there was much of one for Ambrose to change either.

ibrSj6knkXqnvH.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yz13ZXW.jpg

Bull's expression
2aVLUFZ.jpg

Did you know that Muta wrestle for AJWP? Because I didn't.
pifI7Se.jpg

lcCRREw.jpg

See? Murrica on the other side.
V0EDake.gif

archcounter5vstj.gif

If Jonathan Cenathan would review the tapes, he would know how to deal with a Bray Wyatt crabwalk
yamadalockues2i.gif

haha... taken out of context. But this is a pretty sweet stretch muffler looking thing. She lifts her up afterwards and swings her for a second. Looks like it would hurt your leg a lot.
9RnUhHG.jpg

Somewhere some indie wrestler is jotting down, 'Steal this move.'
ajakongtos8q.gif

AJA KONG AJA KONG AJA KONG

I'm only halfway done. This match gets better the further in it gets.

Alucard

Banned
It's such a pathetic attempt. The E is in shambles right now except for NXT. Their merchandising efforts are lacking too.

I wouldn't say it's in shambles, but it's certainly frustrating from an older fan's perspective. Just remember, if you were a kid, you wouldn't be as critical.

Top 5 things going on in the WWE right now that I'm enjoying:

1. The popularity of The Wyatts. Love the celllphones
2. Dean Ambrose in a wife beater
3. Lana promos and Rusev segments
4. Wade Barrett in a cape
5. Rybaxel matches

Aye. Kidd has always been able to work well, he's just never really had anything to work with or for that wasn't just a generic feud.

I hope the rumours of him getting a mask is true though, but it's done purely for Tyson to "hide" from Natalya because she can't recognise him. Escape from the badgering and passive aggressiveness she has. That would be hilarious to me.

I think it was reported that they dropped that idea because they figured everyone would recognize him and the venture would be pointless.

KenOD

As much as I want to laugh about Rhino still wrestling and appearing at TNA, watching Mojo Rawley wrestle makes me think that would be more entertaining this terrible guy.

I think it was reported that they dropped that idea because they figured everyone would recognize him and the venture would be pointless.

That makes sense, but you know I think he could pull it off just like Owen Hart did with the Blue Blazer gimmick. Everyone knows he is, but he denies it the entire time.

Top Bottom