• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

Nakamura1.gif

I wish I watched it. :(

Maybe I'll get the VOD next month. Any NJPW event next month?

There's a smaller ($15) show on June 29th, Kizuna Road, no idea what the card will be, though. Maybe Ishii vs Yujiro for the NEVER belt.

Then, on July 21st the biggest tournament in all of wrestling kicks off! G1 Climax 24! 12 days of pure wrasslin' awesomeness. I'll be making a thread in the OT for that.

strobogo

Banned
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
...Fale...won?!

ibmqKy8rlZs6Se.gif

Looks like Bullet Club gets all the gold then loses it ALL on the same night to trigger a breakup.

OH SHIT!!!! G1, baby!!!

G1 2014 - A Block: Tanahashi, Kojima, Nagata, Ibushi, Shibata, Nakamura, Ishii, Shelton, DBS Jr, Gallows & Fale

G1 2014 - B Block: Makabe, Goto, Naito, Tenzan, Okada, Yano, Suzuki, Archer, Styles, Yujiro, Anderson

This sounds almost exactly like last year's. Except Gallows and Shibata and Styles. Which...is fine. Just those differences will be more fun than a bag of dicks.

strobogo

Banned
BRONSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#BIGBOOT #neverforget #alwaysremember #inthearmsofanangel #yo

This sounds almost exactly like last year's. Except Gallows and Shibata and Styles. Which...is fine. Just those differences will be more fun than a bag of dicks.

Yeah, there are very few surprises with the lineup this year - Tenzan being in it again is tempting fate, though. Really wish Honma could have his spot. Some ridiculous matches though; Shibata vs everyone and any combination of Davey Boy/Fale/Gallows in Block A, and while Block B isn't quite as stacked, there's some interesting encounters - Styles vs Anderson, for one. Okada vs Suzuki, Okada vs Naito again, etc.

And yeah, Fale won. Nakamura certainly carried him to it, but he really deserves a fair share of the praise. The match was a whole lot better than anyone expected and the crowd loved it, which was great to see. Also, the opener was super fun and Ibushi vs Ricochet needs to be seen. A bit too short maybe, but they went crazy out there. The only low points were the lengthy Suzuki/Iizuka vs Yano/Sakuraba match that was fun in places but went on FOREVER and the Tama vs Naito match, which never really got going.

somedevil

Wow that's an interesting promotion! I guess ROH/NJPW was a huge hit and want to cross over here more than ever. This is all good news. WWE is so stupid to ignore NJPW. What awesome matches that could be if Vince wasn't so far up his ass :/

I don't think is possible when the WWE got Devitt from them and tried to take Okada from them.

Sblargh

Banned
Nakamura1.gif

There's a smaller ($15) show on June 29th, Kizuna Road, no idea what the card will be, though. Maybe Ishii vs Yujiro for the NEVER belt.

Then, on July 21st the biggest tournament in all of wrestling kicks off! G1 Climax 24! 12 days of pure wrasslin' awesomeness. I'll be making a thread in the OT for that.

Do you know how payment works for G1? If it is per show, it is going to be tough.

Alucard

Banned
New Japan partnership with Jarrett's GFW announced, also ROH stars Adam Cole, reDRagon, Mike Bennet & Maria debut for New Japan at the G1 finals show in Seibu Dome!

D2OLsVX.jpg

*edit, Cole isn't pictured with the ROH title...dropping it to Elgin tomorrow?

ReDRagon are PERFECT for New Japan. Surprised by the Bennett inclusion, especially after his Tanahashi match being one of the weaker parts of the joint shows last month.

Alucard

Banned
Guys, I just realized that ROH plays at 4am on Saturdays on ABC...Seattle? Need to call Bell and get that as one of my channels to record it. Yay for not waiting until Monday night to watch and write about ROH.

And then they have an off-season or something? (I know I already asked stuff like this, sorry)

Yeah, they'll take almost a month break after the G1, do a few shows here and there in September before the next tour starts on September 20th. The G1 takes place over 12 shows between July 21st to August 10th - not as crazy as last year's schedule, but still pretty hectic and it's likely unavoidable that a few wrestlers will come out of the tournament pretty banged up.

ReDRagon are PERFECT for New Japan. Surprised by the Bennett inclusion, especially after his Tanahashi match being one of the weaker parts of the joint shows last month.

Bobby already has experience working in Japan thanks to his time in NOAH and O'Reilly's style should go down real well with the fans. A good addition, I'd say.

King of the Ring 2000. Why was that not just a Fatal 4-Way between the HHH, Rock, Kane, and Taker?
I can guess at a few reasons that wont change the fact that a FFW match would have likely been better

- They wanted to end the McMahon-Helmsley faction so Vince eating a pinfall that costs Trips his title gives a valid reason for Trips to split.

- Since the faces outnumbered the heel champion 3 to 1 they evened the odds and set up a dynamic where the faces would inevitably screw each other over while being on the same team.

- They thought it was a novel idea for some reason, also they had a FFW match main event WM only a few months earlier so for varieties sake they went with this

- Vince wanted to refer to himself as "Joe Cool"

So I have no actual answer, lets just remember that time where Kane stole HHH's belt because he sure as hell wasn't going to win it ever again.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, they'll take almost a month break after the G1, do a few shows here and there in September before the next tour starts on September 20th. The G1 takes place over 12 shows between July 21st to August 10th - not as crazy as last year's schedule, but still pretty hectic and it's likely unavoidable that a few wrestlers will come out of the tournament pretty banged up.

Bobby already has experience working in Japan thanks to his time in NOAH and O'Reilly's style should go down real well with the fans. A good addition, I'd say.

So, what's the scoop? Are they in singles comp at G1?

So, what's the scoop? Are they in singles comp at G1?

No word on what matches they'll be in, as of yet - New Japan apparently want to make the G1 final feel like a HUGE show, especially as it's the first time a wrestling company has run the Seibu Dome. I could see reDRagon getting a shot at the Jr's titles.

Alucard

Banned
No word on what matches they'll be in, as of yet - New Japan apparently want to make the G1 final feel like a HUGE show, especially as it's the first time a wrestling company has run the Seibu Dome. I could see reDRagon getting a shot at the Jr's titles.

G1 has tournament matches as well as regular tags, feuds, etc. right?

...Fale...won?!

ibmqKy8rlZs6Se.gif

Looks like Bullet Club gets all the gold then loses it ALL on the same night to trigger a breakup.

I was expecting it. NJPW is giving him the monster gaijin push ala Vader, Norton, and Bernard, so him winning the belt isn't unexpected. I'd love to see Ishii challenge for the title now (after he loses the NEVER belt to Yujiro, of course)

What was unexpected was the Young Bucks losing the titles to the Time Splitters...I love both teams but felt the Bucks were a fresh fit for the division. I also pegged Ricochet winning the Jr. title for sure (as rumors have Ibushi either leaving NJPW to return to DDT full time, or leaving both and going to WWE) and Ricochet joining the BC, but I digress.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I started watching wrestling again right before Wrestlemania and now I'd like to watch some non-WWE wrestling. One of my local stations plays a hour long ROH show every Saturday night. Would that be a good place to start?

somedevil

I started watching wrestling again right before Wrestlemania and now I'd like to watch some non-WWE wrestling. One of my local stations plays a hour long ROH show every Saturday night. Would that be a good place to start?

Yes, it is plus they have a pay per view this Sunday.

strobogo

Banned
On my bike ride (did a whole extra 10 miles in your broken wristed honor, Duncan), I came up with a new lucha gimmick for Bronson. He will team with Lucha Freddie under the name: Salvador Dolly. Their finish will be Freddie placing Bronson on a cart and pushing him full speed into their opponent. Or maybe a variation of the Bushwhackers' battering ram. They'll both have wacky mustaches and be great. It's money.

On my bike ride (did a whole extra 10 miles in your broken wristed honor, Duncan), I came up with a new lucha gimmick for Bronson. He will team with Lucha Freddie under the name: Salvador Dolly. Their finish will be Freddie placing Bronson on a cart and pushing him full speed into their opponent. Or maybe a variation of the Bushwhackers' battering ram. They'll both have wacky mustaches and be great. It's money.
Nah man, Bronson and Edge need to pull the trigger on their tag team so they can recreate the fastball special
919765-126_wolverine__first_class_.jpg

Carnby

You know I have not been around as much, so I gotta ask. Did you guys chase a regular out of this thread with too much ribbing?

Alucard

Banned

ROH's weekly show would be a good place to start for sure. And if you don't mind plopping down 25 bucks and want to watch a landmark show in the company's history, order the ROH Best in the World PPV at 8pm tomorrow.

WWE issued a survey this week to fans on their mailing list and asked if Brock Lesnar challenges for the WWE World Heavyweight Title at this year's SummerSlam pay-per-view, who should he face.

The options were all 7 Superstars in the Money In the Bank Ladder Match for the vacant title. Roman Reigns is currently leading the vote with almost 50%. Cesaro is in second place followed by Bray Wyatt and John Cena tied, Randy Orton, Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio last with just 2%.

image.axd

I hope these idiots get what they want.

Top Bottom