• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

The Punjabi Playboy and the Boogieing Bulgarian has a certain ring to it.

I like the way you think, friend.

Minorities dancing together on RAW has been a proud American tradition for many years now :')

2Cqbb1i.gif

jmdajr

Yeah, you're not quite at the right level yet, but the good news is you're getting there and that's good.

Keep it up US, you might actually start winning at sports other countries care about too.

Yeah. But my country of Mexico has cared for years and hasn't won jack shit.

Well not the world cup anyway. Olympic win was nice though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish the US would stop doing anything in poor-sports like soccer so people here can stop pretending they enjoy it.

Full card for the Kizuna Road iPPV. Not much more than house show quality, with only one singles match. Match 4, 5 & 6 should all be great fun though and I'm always happy to see more Mascara Dorada & Fuego;

NJPW, "KIZUNA ROAD", 2014.06.29
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

www.ustream.tv/njpw

1. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Mascara Dorada & Tiger Mask vs BUSHI, Fuego & Yohei Komatsu
2. Rysuke Taguchi & TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan
3. CHAOS (Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka)
4. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs G.B.H. (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma)
5. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) vs Tetsuya Naito, Kota Ibushi & El Desperado
6. CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs BULLET CLUB (Bad Luck Fale, Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga)
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs Yujiro Takahashi

Interested to see if Yujiro can step up here. Ishii's arguably been one of the best wrestlers this year but, while Yujiro's had a recent heel turn and debuted a new move, he hasn't really done much to shine in his new role and has been pretty sloppy in places, this past weekend in particular.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, it's time for Yujiro vs Ishii. I really think it'll go over for Yujiro this time.

joelseph

Could only make the matinee show in Chicago, bummed because it sounds like Detroit got the good one.

Match of the show for me was Throwbacks vs Submission Squad. Gary the Barn Owl was laying some serious chops on Dasher.

Hottest match of the night was Pieces of Hate vs AC/DC. Crowd was popping.

Pic of me and Ophidian.

r82tFdD.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Oh man, watching this AWA documentary. Hogan was already a big star when Vince nabbed him. He already had the catchphrases, the name, the maneirisms, the merchandising, he was already famous. Documentary isn't even subtle in saying that 80s WWF was in large part AWA, but with better grasp of how to make a deal with TV stations.

Definitely. Most of the 1985-1990 roster was straight ganked from AWA, because Verne was more out of touch then than Vince is today. I mean, Vince took guys from everywhere, but the most came straight from AWA. Gene, Brain, Hogan, Orndorff, Snuka, Schultz, Rick Martel, Jim Brunzell, Adrian Adonis, Lord Al, Big John Studd, Moondogs, Dick Murdoch, Jesse Ventura, Rockers, Dino Bravo, Mr. Perfect, Ken Patera, Jim Brunzell, Tito, Beefcake.

It's pretty crazy really. That's not even everyone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Throwbacks are a ton of fun. Glad you enjoyed the show, they're so great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
tsShPvI.gif
tsShPvI.gif
tsShPvI.gif
Bootaaay Alert
tsShPvI.gif
tsShPvI.gif
tsShPvI.gif

New episodes of WCCW and Old School coming this month! Just thought I'd let you know.

jmdajr

Wonder if Punk will start running his mouth once he is officially done.

I'm thinking her stays the same and ignores all questions/interviews just like autographs for women and children.

ROH matches for g-1 final

Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan vs. Adam Cole & Michael Bennett w/ Maria Kanellis

() IWGP Jr. Tag Championship Match: [38th Champions] “TIME SPLITTERS” KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley vs. [Challengers] “reDRagon” Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly

Aiii

So not worth it
ROH matches for g-1 final

Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan vs. Adam Cole & Michael Bennett w/ Maria Kanellis

() IWGP Jr. Tag Championship Match: [38th Champions] “TIME SPLITTERS” KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley vs. [Challengers] “reDRagon” Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly

I hope they put the tag titles on reDRagon and from then on have both tag-titles defended cross-promotional all year long.

Sblargh

Banned
Definitely. Most of the 1985-1990 roster was straight ganked from AWA, because Verne was more out of touch then than Vince is today. I mean, Vince took guys from everywhere, but the most came straight from AWA. Gene, Brain, Hogan, Orndorff, Snuka, Schultz, Rick Martel, Jim Brunzell, Adrian Adonis, Lord Al, Big John Studd, Moondogs, Dick Murdoch, Jesse Ventura, Rockers, Dino Bravo, Mr. Perfect, Ken Patera, Jim Brunzell, Tito, Beefcake.

It's pretty crazy really. That's not even everyone.

And according to the doc.; Heenan was the only one who stayed the time they were supposed to stay in order to be properly written off TV. Everyone else just left overnight. What Warrior did to Vince isn't so different from what Hogan did to Gagne.

Aiii

So not worth it
Meltzer says TNA hasn't sold out any of the three Hammerstein shows this week. In fact, he's saying that over three days combined, they've sold less tickets than ROH did for the one night.

Kind of surprising, seeing how they decked the card and being in NYC.

Anyways, I guess tons of free tickets will be handed out for TNA shows this weekend.

UberTag

Meltzer says TNA hasn't sold out any of the three Hammerstein shows this week. In fact, he's saying that over three days combined, they've sold less tickets than ROH did for the one night.

Kind of surprising, seeing how they decked the card and being in NYC.

Anyways, I guess tons of free tickets will be handed out for TNA shows this weekend.
Clearly this shows where TNA stands in relation to ROH/NJPW when it comes to the hardcore fans the Hammerstein typically draws.

If Epico's on the shelf indefinitely, any chance WWE brings Carlito back in to tag with his brother or is he still committed to the World Wrestling Council in Puerto Rico?

I suppose the alternatives would be to just get Hunico to pull double-duty with his Sin Cara gimmick... or they could put Ricardo in the matador outfit and make jokes about how one of Los Matadores developed an overeating problem... or they could call up Sami Zayn and the crowd would have an excuse to chant Olé at him.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Could only make the matinee show in Chicago, bummed because it sounds like Detroit got the good one.

Match of the show for me was Throwbacks vs Submission Squad. Gary the Barn Owl was laying some serious chops on Dasher.

Hottest match of the night was Pieces of Hate vs AC/DC. Crowd was popping.

Pic of me and Ophidian.

r82tFdD.jpg

I was at the Detroit show and It was pretty fresh. The main event was The Flood vs. The Colony/Batiri and it was a cluster. Most of the match was them brawling all over the place so you couldn't see most of what was happening because there wasn't anyone in the ring. It was also a bummer that the Eddie Kingston vs. Shenron match wasn't really a match.

Cagey

Banned
I have gone to the ROH shows in Hammerstein since 2011, and I'm not a hardcore consumer of their product (honestly don't watch ROH outside of those events), and I never once thought about buying tickets to the TNA shows.

KissVibes

Banned
If Epico's on the shelf indefinitely, any chance WWE brings Carlito back in to tag with his brother or is he still committed to the World Wrestling Council in Puerto Rico?

They'll never bring Carlito back to wrestle. Hell, I'm fucking blown away they let him induct his father into the HoF.

Yeah, Carlito left on extremely bad terms. Refused rehab after showing up in bad shape.

Interesting Carlito note you probably didn't know: He was supposed to be the career rival with Cena, as a future main event headliner after both guys got big pushes. Obviously, that never happened.

Cagey

Banned
Carlito was the dude with the 'fro and the apple right?

I remember tuning into RAW during that period, as I had stopped watching wrestling after the HHH reigns and seeing that guy and thinking to myself "LOL NOPE".

Sblargh

Banned
I enjoyed ROH last night, but I enjoyed that one NJPW PPV more. I think it was because I got burned out by the end. Cedric Alexander vs Roderick Strong was my favorite match, I think; then the Briscoes came and crazy spots ensued; then Kevin Steen and it was a great match, but I was starting to fade by then; I tuned out in the tag team match after that and barely watched the finals. If I have access to a VOD, I'll try to watch them later today. I remember feeling the same watching NJPW, but then there was a bullet club match that it was like, 50 people against 50 people and I used that as a bathroom break.

Weirdly enough, I think the PPV was missing something that I did not care so I could not watch.

Carlito was the dude with the 'fro and the apple right?

I remember tuning into RAW during that period, as I had stopped watching wrestling after the HHH reigns and seeing that guy and thinking to myself "LOL NOPE".

Yeah, Evolution era was the big turn off for me (and I assume a lot of people) and Carlito was certainly not a turn on.

jmdajr

Yeah, Carlito left on extremely bad terms. Refused rehab after showing up in bad shape.

Interesting Carlito note you probably didn't know: He was supposed to be the career rival with Cena, as a future main event headliner after both guys got big pushes. Obviously, that never happened.

I know Flair called him out for not giving it his all. Just didn't have the drive.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Carlito is the equivalent of a pothead at work who won't stop getting high before and in the middle of his shifts.

Then you come out and say OKAY FUCKFACE, YOU WANNA SIT AROUND ALL DAY AND GET HIGH? YOU'RE FIRED!

And he goes "Hell yeah" and goes off and smokes pot for the rest of his life.

I know Flair called him out for not giving it his all. Just didn't have the drive.

Yeah. Just read through his release notes in that week's Observer. They all thought he had the talent to be a main event player, but lacked the drive to get any better or improve. As time went on and he got less pushed, his work continued to get worse. Miz syndrome.

This is exactly why I don't understand why people say Bryan is going to be pushed way down like Miz was. Bryan is a world class wrestler, and that's not going to change because he's pushed down. He'll continue doing awesome work which will likely give him another shot at the top.

jmdajr

Yeah. Just read through his release notes in that week's Observer. They all thought he had the talent to be a main event player, but lacked the drive to get any better or improve. As time went on and he got less pushed, his work continued to get worse. Miz syndrome.

That needs to be in the Dictionary.

To be fair I didn't think Miz had no drive, I think he just sucked. After getting sloppy in the ring HHH buried him hard.

Top Bottom