• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WWE next month PPV:

Bray Wyatt vs John Cena
Triple H & Randy Orton vs Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins
Daniel Bryan vs Kane
Paige vs Who Cares or Paige vs Alicia Fox
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
BNB vs Who cares(also known as the Miz)
Rusev vs Who Cares

gurudyne

I'm interested in seeing how they let him come back from that whole ending.

He did manage to get Cena to chuck the one-ton staircase at his head, so he might be able to draw a moral victory before saying he will continue his work on Cena at a future date but in the meantime, X needs to be brought into the fold or destroyed or whatever.

Everywhere I look, I see positive reaction to this show. Then I look at GAF and see negative reactions from exactly the guys I expect. Never change guys.

Literally the most impressive thing I've ever seen Cena do. That accuracy is absurd.

tumblr_n6iqg6dgfu1rofocqo1_400.gif

Ohhhh I get it now. Stephanie is now going to ORDER Bryan to defend the title at the next PPV, and he said last week that "the injury was worse than they thought." When it's actually not.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Let me ask you this. What feuds did this PPV further?
Let's look at Shield vs Evolution. The point of this match was that Shield got lucky in their win(even though their match wasn't booked like that but whatever.) So Shield won again. Decisively. Is that the payoff or is Triple H going to say the same thing? Payoff after two PPV wins? If so, who are the Shield going to go after once this is over? Anything other than Triple H or the main titles would look like a downgrade. And the main champions(Tag and WWE) are faces. Sooo?

BNB vs Wade. This wasn't even a real feud. At most, I assume this was just something to give Wade who had a title. Filler.

Sheamus vs Cesaro. Possibly a feud? I don't even know. Is the feud supposed to be that Heyman is making Cesaro perform worse than when he was with Zeb? No, because Zeb is feuding with Adam Rose now. This could maybe be a feud, but I don't find either character interesting regardless of the match quality. They should have stuck with Swagger and Sheamus and had the characters be Heyman and Zeb.

Paige vs Alicia Fox. Paige beat Alicia Fox again. So Alicia continues to look weak. Is Fox supposed to get super powers for losing? This did nothing for the feud.

Bray vs Cena. Kind of like Sheamus vs Cesaro but the characters are stronger HOWEVER it doesn't mean anything because this whole feud feels like it's going in a circle. Break them off. Let them feud with someone else for a month or two and then have them back at each others throats if this is supposed to be some major rivalry.

Rybaxel and Rhodes Bros. Obviously setting up Rhodes vs Rhodes. Right? Though the way they set it up was certainly different. Rybaxel will be on Main Event some more.

Rusev beats guys. This would be a feud push if it wasn't for the fact that we know where this booking is going. Into Cena's arms. So there is no feud yet, so to say.

Bo vs Kofi. This was just to put Bo over. And Kane? For some reason? Not a feud.

Sooo... MAYBE Usos vs Rowan & Harper advanced. We might have seen the starting of a feud with Cody and Goldust(nothing's certain there).

As SoulPlaya said, it was ALL filler.

strobogo

Banned
The only thing really progressed was that The Authority didn't like Kofi using 280 charcaters on Twitter disparaging them, so they sent Kane out. But no one got that since it was just a brief thing on the pre show, so Cole had to explain it afterwards. So now Kofi vs The Authority might be a thing. Everything else was either an ending or continuation of something that should have ended.

The only thing really progressed was that The Authority didn't like Kofi using 280 charcaters on Twitter disparaging them, so they sent Kane out. But no one got that since it was just a brief thing on the pre show, so Cole had to explain it afterwards. So now Kofi vs The Authority might be a thing. Everything else was either an ending or continuation of something that should have ended.

I'm pretty sure it was a one-off thing. Something for Kane to do because he wasn't on the show otherwise.

gurudyne

I don't think anyone went into Payback thinking it was anything but filler. We've had weeks to make our peace with it, sad and stupid as that is. But overall, it actually helped me enjoy the show. Since I didn't feel the need to sit through shit to get to the good stuff, I could enjoy the show a little more. That there wasn't much shit helped.

LAW talking about Freeze likely getting Fandango'd when he gets brought up. Be a damned shame if they botch his debut. #PrayForFreeze

Let me ask you this. What feuds did this PPV further?
Let's look at Shield vs Evolution. The point of this match was that Shield got lucky in their win(even though their match wasn't booked like that but whatever.) So Shield won again. Decisively. Is that the payoff or is Triple H going to say the same thing? Payoff after two PPV wins? If so, who are the Shield going to go after once this is over? Anything other than Triple H or the main titles would look like a downgrade. And the main champions(Tag and WWE) are faces. Sooo?

BNB vs Wade. This wasn't even a real feud. At most, I assume this was just something to give Wade who had a title. Filler.

Sheamus vs Cesaro. Possibly a feud? I don't even know. Is the feud supposed to be that Heyman is making Cesaro perform worse than when he was with Zeb? No, because Zeb is feuding with Adam Rose now. This could maybe be a feud, but I don't find either character interesting regardless of the match quality. They should have stuck with Swagger and Sheamus and had the characters be Heyman and Zeb.

Paige vs Alicia Fox. Paige beat Alicia Fox again. So Alicia continues to look weak. Is Fox supposed to get super powers for losing? This did nothing for the feud.

Bray vs Cena. Kind of like Sheamus vs Cesaro but the characters are stronger HOWEVER it doesn't mean anything because this whole feud feels like it's going in a circle. Break them off. Let them feud with someone else for a month or two and then have them back at each others throats if this is supposed to be some major rivalry.

Rybaxel and Rhodes Bros. Obviously setting up Rhodes vs Rhodes. Right? Though the way they set it up was certainly different. Rybaxel will be on Main Event some more.

Rusev beats guys. This would be a feud push if it wasn't for the fact that we know where this booking is going. Into Cena's arms. So there is no feud yet, so to say.

Bo vs Kofi. This was just to put Bo over. And Kane? For some reason? Not a feud.

Sooo... MAYBE Usos vs Rowan & Harper advanced. We might have seen the starting of a feud with Cody and Goldust(nothing's certain there).

As SoulPlaya said, it was ALL filler.

Triple H made it clear before the show that this was it for Shield and Evolution. They might continue the feud in singles action, but not knowing where they will go isn't the same as them not having a direction. BNB win was filler, but it continued to get Barrett and the title over, so it worked. Again, with Sheamus-Cesaro, not knowing where they are going isn't the same as them not having direction. And they had a good match tonight which, as with the IC belt, raised the level of the belt and gave Sheamus credibility. Paige won, Alicia lost. I see Alicia as just a foil to get Paige over as champ. Sometimes it is just that simple. It seems Bray vs. Cena will continue, which would be a bad move, but we don't know what they are doing yet. It may be over. Also, the match tonight was good.

I could continue, but you are judging this entire show based on what may or may not happen in the future. That's dumb. Judge a show on its merits. Not on what happens after it. Especially when you don't know what that is yet.

just got home from work. Should i even bother watching Payback? I already know that Cenawonlol because the newly installed WWE app sent me a push notification telling me, and that Brie quit.

The real progression from tonight's event is Cena has grown physically stronger and can easily pick up the steel steps now. That's long term growth right there.

Phatmac

just got home from work. Should i even bother watching Payback? I already know that Cenawonlol because the newly installed WWE app sent me a push notification telling me, and that Brie quit.
It was entertaining for the most part. Cesaro vs Shemus and the shield vs evolution are worth watching.

jred2k

PPVs never seem to have outcomes of any consequence because no matter what happens there is another show 24 hours away that is just as long. Overexposure is by far the biggest problem with the product and unfortunately their whole business is built around that now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could continue, but you are judging this entire show based on what may or may not happen in the future. That's dumb. Judge a show on its merits. Not on what happens after it. Especially when you don't know what that is yet.

But that's wrestling. Wrestling is not movies. Wrestling's existence is to get you to tune in to Raw, to get you to buy the next PPV. It is why people say the product sucks or the product is awesome. Why people say WWE rules or WWE sucks. They don't say Payback rules or Payback sucked in the general sense. These are long-term characters and the entire booking of WWE is to want you to keep watching. I mean, 'What's gonna happen on Raw?' or 'See you on Nitro' is the go-to closing statement for a reason.

Jim Ross on Twitter said:
"Lots of hard work by the talent tonight in #chicago at #Payback Love the effort. Turds can bitch about what they choose but do it elsewhere"

Are you calling me a turd, JR? Really? Really? God forbid I'm sick of Cena winning every Last Man Standing Match in the stupidest way possible.

Phatmac

I honestly don't know where the wwe is going. I hope new feuds start because I can't see these same matches over and over again.

strobogo

Banned
We progressed towards a black stable led by Alicia Fox. Believe, friends.

I'd fully support that. Black folk in WWE have been getting it rougher than usual in the past couple of months. Have any black wrestlers besides Fox won a match in the last 2 months?

Top Bottom