• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Anth0ny

listening to lapsed fan for starcade 99. so fucking depressing. this is the death of wrestling's peak period. meltz says wcw dying was the worst thing to happen to wrestling, and I have to agree.

fucking russo. bro let me tell you something. you don't understand...

R2q1Vwc.jpg

If this isn't the most dated, 1999-lookin' dude I have ever seen...

Is it just me or does this look like a video game?

Bubba T

I have my auditing class on Tuesday nights so I can't watch Smackdown live, which replaces my old reason of not watching because I dont give a fuck

Fox318

Not even Mauro?

And we actually had a finish in the Smackdown main event for once. Plus Styles won a match with the Clash of all things. How about that?

Read those spoilers, and watch last night's Raw

Now imagine how bad it'd be with half the roster. Because it'd be worse.

7 more weeks till the beauty

At this point the only way things truly change creativly is Vince dies or there is a complete shareholder revolt if they can't get a good NBC TV deal.

I mean think of the stubbornness to keep Roman as a face and keep Rollins heel. Shit they fucking produced a documentary on the guy coming back and he had the fan support to make fucking money.

Now a week in Rollins is just another guy who will be fed to Roman in Vince's quest to get is fake world in order.

Meltz and everyone else mentioned that USA wants Smackdown's ratings to be higher because they use the WWE to make their weekly average ratings look higher.

Meanwhile what would prevent them from having the NHL feature signature games on Monday instead or even run police procedural drama reruns? They would probably make more money and TNA has shown that there is no market for "sports entertainment" style wrestling out there.

Or even NBC going after the UFC as MMA doesn't have the advertiser fear that McMahon branded wrestling does. Frankly if USA does want to get back on top they need to do what other top cable companies are doing and produce high quality dramas like HBO, AMC,TNT or Netflix. Right now they just have Mr.Robot and are a network for reruns of CSI, NCIS, Law And Order SVU, Law and Order CO and any other reruns of old network shows.

And TNT does a simailar thing with NBA and MLB with using playoff and major games to promote other content on their network while the only thing the WWE will promote is a cheap production like Chrisley Knows Best.

There really is no reason for the USA to want wrestling when it would probably benift NBC to get an actual sport to get better ad deals and also promote NBCSN.

3 - 6 hours of wrestling every week just isn't conducive to build a new fanbase or even maintain a casual one.

I mean right now what are the company's priority in tv right now:
  • Getting original network content over (despite most of it not being family friendly)
  • Getting Steph over as a face because she has a book deal
  • Getting Cena and Reigns over because they are the 2 that the Today Show hosts would say "Wow you are tall"

ESPN might be the only network that would be desprate enough for the WWE but I'm not sure people at Disney would trust working with the WWE when they are so protective of the brand.

UberTag

There really is no reason for the USA to want wrestling when it would probably benift NBC to get an actual sport to get better ad deals and also promote NBCSN.

3 - 6 hours of wrestling every week just isn't conducive to build a new fanbase or even maintain a casual one.
You're not wrong... which is why the WWE makes doubly sure to keep this woman happy.

usa3.jpg

shanafan

With the more and more hate Roman is getting, the more and more I'm liking the dude. He is starting to have the "it" factor for me. I really enjoy his matches, and I like what he delivers on the mic. Even though I am a Rollins fan, I really don't mind seeing Roman walk out of MiTB as champion. Hell, he can be champion through Survivor Series for all that I care. I like the guy.

One of my favorite lines of his was after Wrestlemania, "Come on guys, I'm not that bad."

Fox318

You're not wrong... which is why the WWE makes doubly sure to keep this woman happy.

usa3.jpg

except under her stewardship the network has been in decline recently.

They don't have a new Monk or even a Psych that would demo decently for them on a weekly basis and right now the network is probably doing its best numbers in hospitals with old people who want to see fake bad guys get their due by hero cops.

I mean their next big show is a TV remake of a Mark Walberg movie from 2007 and a Dana Carvey game show that GSN probably passed on. not exactly gonna bring in young viewers with their programming aside from Mr. Robot.

Cagey

Banned
With the more and more hate Roman is getting, the more and more I'm liking the dude. He is starting to have the "it" factor for me. I really enjoy his matches, and I like what he delivers on the mic. Even though I am a Rollins fan, I really don't mind seeing Roman walk out of MiTB as champion. Hell, he can be champion through Survivor Series for all that I care. I like the guy.

One of my favorite lines of his was after Wrestlemania, "Come on guys, I'm not that bad."
Welcome to the bloodline, uce.

Striker

Just watched Owen Hart's last match (that I'll see). He got pinned by The Godfather in a match that involved Val Venis, Jeff Jarrett, Debra McMichael, Nicole Bass, and Jerry Lawler yelling about the many ringside "hos".

Shocking that Owen's widow wants nothing to do with wrestling. SHOCKING.
I mean they tried to have Owen get involved romantically with Debra...

Btw, wouldn't hurt to have cut back on that partriotic garbage. Bells at the beginning, Titus confronting Rusev, Cena promo... Took it a bit too far last night.
They debuted Muhammad Hassan on a Tribute to the Troops promo. That company is long gone.

broz0rs

These guys feuding with John Cena AND The New Day?! Two separate storylines to boot!

Personally, the next month and a half is going to be a great time to be a fan. Just need to tune out Reigns/Rollins (looking like a disaster) and Divas.

If your son who happens to be one half of the Golden State Warriors scoring duo known as the Splash Brothers, the current record holder for most points scored in a quarter, the 2016 NBA All Star 3pt contest champion, is fighting for his teams championship hopes in Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals.... The most watched NBA playoff game on cable of all time

What do you do?

You don't watch his game. You sit through RAW instead.

UberTag

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/737847651085869057

Begging you to click this

This has to be seen to be believed. There's so much ridiculous shit to comment on I don't even know where to begin
I am honestly at a loss as to what's more ridiculous between this nonsense, the Reigns vs. Rollins staring contest or the Ospreay/Ricochet synchronized flipsies routine.
I mean, they're all various degrees of silly for categorically different reasons.

DMczaf

listening to lapsed fan for starcade 99. so fucking depressing. this is the death of wrestling's peak period. meltz says wcw dying was the worst thing to happen to wrestling, and I have to agree.

fucking russo. bro let me tell you something. you don't understand...

99 and 2000 starrcade podcasts are the death of wrestling.

We will never get to those highs again

UberTag

Lucha Underground is more believable than that shit and they have Mil Muertes.
That's the thing with Lucha that's great compared to all of the silly examples I referenced in my last post.
They COMMIT fully to their nonsense. They invest in their characters and their storylines and see them through no matter how ridiculous. I believe that THEY believe in what they're doing - no matter how over the top.

I don't believe Matt and Jeff.
I don't believe Seth and Roman.
And I sure as hell didn't believe Will and Trevor.

Let me believe that you want to beat your opponent. I never doubt that Kevin Owens wants to kick his opponent's ass in the ring... why is this so hard?

Anth0ny

99 and 2000 starrcade podcasts are the death of wrestling.

We will never get to those highs again

yup.

so sad that not only did wcw go down, but any desire on wwf's part to put out a consistently great product. pre mania 17 and post mania 17 is like night and day.

Top Bottom