• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

That same old paradox - is that sharing hurting business or increasing awareness of the product? Is that a 'lost sale' or a person who was never going to buy it anyway having access to your content?

I have little time for people who get all their wrestling content from a shared source, but at the same time I'm not entirely sure they'd part with their money to buy it regardless. I know a few people who have went on to really invest time and money into a promotion after getting their hands on a tape/digital copy of a show.

If I could ballpark it (I've estimated it before, and the stats usually stay within reliable change) I'd say around 10% of people who pirate it would likely consider buying the show if it was A: as easy as downloading and B: done right. Not like the music industry's 'herp derp every single one is a lost sale' deal, but if you take into account thousands of illegal downloads for say, an iPPV, it's a bit of a mess.

My love for gaming in general is getting weaker by the day to be honest. Pretty much all the games I really like are never getting sequels: Bionic Commando (2009), God Hand, Vanquish, Alpha Protocol, Binary Domain, a Resident Evil game as good as 1-4, a 2D Metroid, etc.

Though to be fair, I am getting a Bayonetta sequel (though it is Wii U exclusive, grrr). And Kojima always has, and always will deliver when it comes to Metal Gear. So there's that.

xhuqDXi.gif

Alpha Protocol is a cult classic now! It's the right amount of undercooked goodness, like cookie dough, that it's poor, but good enough to hold potential and hidden gems to tease for a truly loved sequel.

Also, I now want to see Mark Henry destroy Bo Dallas. It'd be like 'Cleaning Woman' trigger from Dead Man Don't Wear Plaid, yet with 'Bo Dallas' instead. Whenever anyone says ' Bo Dallas' Mark Henry would just snap and start to beatdown whoever was in his way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23oPQdnNH8

If I could ballpark it (I've estimated it before, and the stats usually stay within reliable change) I'd say around 10% of people who pirate it would likely consider buying the show if it was A: as easy as downloading and B: done right. Not like the music industry's 'herp derp every single one is a lost sale' deal, but if you take into account thousands of illegal downloads for say, an iPPV, it's a bit of a mess.

Totally understand its different if it's your company, or a company you've invested your time and work for, when you see people not paying for the content. I just know from personal experience having seen shows on youtube I've started to gain an interest in new promotions (such as DDT), and then hit (hopefully) legit digital sites for copies of the show.

That unfortunately opens it up to epic amounts of piracy, which hurts indies a hell of a lot more than people would think. It's a conundrum, really. I love downloads, but that shit's getting shared. Is it worth it?

If the demand is there people will pirate it, regardless of any preventative methods promotions put in place. Look at those 'house' shows ROH put up for VOD weeks before the DVDs are ready - they're ripped by a pirate and then spread around the file sharing sites in no time at all. Yesterday's ROH iPPV is already making the rounds, as is New Japan's PPV. The last EVOLVE triple shot shows were all available less that a week after they had aired.

Content is going to get pirated and there's really jack all to be done about it. Might as well sell MP4s and trade-in on the goodwill from customers, like myself, who appreciate having timely access to recent shows in an accessible, non-restrictive and DRM-less format.

Alpha Protocol is a cult classic now! It's the right amount of undercooked goodness, like cookie dough, that it's poor, but good enough to hold potential and hidden gems to tease for a truly loved sequel.

Also, I now want to see Mark Henry destroy Bo Dallas. It'd be like 'Cleaning Woman' trigger from Dead Man Don't Wear Plaid, yet with 'Bo Dallas' instead. Whenever anyone says ' Bo Dallas' Mark Henry would just snap and start to beatdown whoever was in his way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23oPQdnNH8

People always say that Alpha Protocol is undercooked or glitchy. But quite honestly, I've had less weird glitches with it than the horrid glitches I've had in Uncharted 2 or The Last of Us.

Naughty Dog polish my ass.

Can you imagine a Netflix style digital platform, but for Professional Wrestling? Man, I'd subscribe to that if they could get their shows up within a week for streaming, complete libraries too. I know I'm dreaming, but still...

Totally understand its different if it's your company, or a company you've invested your time and work for, when you see people not paying for the content. I just know from personal experience having seen shows on youtube I've started to gain an interest in new promotions (such as DDT), and then hit (hopefully) legit digital sites for copies of the show.

I went through Alpha Protocol as a fairly normal secret agent.

That was clearly a huge mistake. :p

Japanese promotions and whatnot are different in that for the most part, it's far too difficult to get access to them here. With the iPPVs that New Japan and Dragon Gate are starting to run on UStream, this is becoming less of a legitimate reason. It gets people into the product, but it also harms it. Catch 22!

If the demand is there people will pirate it, regardless of any preventative methods promotions put in place. Look at those 'house' shows ROH put up for VOD weeks before the DVDs are ready - they're ripped by a pirate and then spread around the file sharing sites in no time at all. Yesterday's ROH iPPV is already making the rounds, as is New Japan's PPV. The last EVOLVE triple shot shows were all available less that a week after they had aired.

Content is going to get pirated and there's really jack all to be done about it. Might as well sell MP4s and trade-in on the goodwill from customers, like myself, who appreciate having timely access to recent shows in an accessible, non-restrictive and DRM-less format.

You can pretty definitively lock this stuff down if desired, but it's so anti-consumer that it's just bad hat in general.

That being said, it's actually not particularly difficult to put a dent in content piracy via takedown requests and the like, as long as you're quick about it.

DRM-free downloads would be nice, but considering it's the indies and people with axes to grind/rival promoters -already- rip and share stuff to try and drop people down, it's just a sad state of affairs. (Indy) Pro Wrestling Is Stupid. :p

Can you imagine a Netflix style digital platform, but for Professional Wrestling? Man, I'd subscribe to that if they could get their shows up within a week for streaming, complete libraries too. I know I'm dreaming, but still...

SMV tried this with their Wrestling Is store, but IMO it's really half baked and is really sparse on selection. I don't think that, their ability to sell anything to CHIKARA, or any of the Wrestling Is promotions are long for this world.

That's the dream.

A stream with the entire library of

WWE
WCW
AWA
ECW
Documentaries
Best of collections

Basically all that stuff they've just shown off on the website hidden in in the Mountains!

Each month you release that 'month's' content from a every year... so like....

All the content from the month of June 1990-2001 or whatever for all the promotions. Then take it off and replace it with July content, to keep people subscribing.

Put the current year's PPVs up on the service, as well as original material (basically extend the stuff they have on youtube).

Dammit WWE, give me WWE Digital Network!

Aiii

So not worth it
Seriously, why isn't WWE offering a streaming service? This whole network thing seems so ridiculous when you consider that alternative.

It certainly wouldn't earn them any less than a traditional pay network.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also fuck games like Last of Us and similar ones that make the 'you dont have to stealth! .... but you'll lose all your resources and it'll be way harder if you don't!' mentality. I nearly sold Wind Waker on Gamecube for doing that bullshit.

The most degree of stealth games like this should have is Ocarina levels of just 'run when he's not looking.'

Fuck crouch walking. Fuck it up the asshole.

Also fuck games like Last of Us and similar ones that make the 'you dont have to stealth! .... but you'll lose all your resources and it'll be way harder if you don't!' mentality. I nearly sold Wind Waker on Gamecube for doing that bullshit.

The most degree of stealth games like this should have is Ocarina levels of just 'run when he's not looking.'

haha there were moments I was stealth like a ninja, somehow alerted a guy so just legged it, ran through and past entire groups of enemies, hit a 'magic marker' and was suddenly safe, as the game had moved on to the next part.

Aiii

So not worth it

If you buy a survival game and then complain about having to do survivaling, you might as well stick to Yawn of Duty 4 and shoot stuff mindlessly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you buy a survival game and then complain about having to do survivaling, you might as well stick to Yawn of Duty 4 and shoot stuff mindlessly.

I should probably take the game back since I didn't have to prepare my own food then. Or put on a coat.

bangai-o

Banned

the reviews said the stealth in that game doesnt really work anyway. So, the problem is not stealth elements, so much as broken stealth mechanics.

edit

i thought jitters was a Kelly Kelly fan. why AJ now?

strobogo

Banned
Those are new, aren't they? They look a lot bigger than her Playboy shoot. I always get a lol out of the girls who pose for Playboy and do bikini stuff in the ring, but there will always be an angle where they get embarrassed/mad to be in their underwear.

KissVibes

Banned
He is one of my all time favorites.

I've never been disappointed by any of his matches. Dude was the fucking king of MitB. I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have him return than fucking RVD.

Edit:GUYS, I THINK GAF MIGHT BE INJURED RIGHT NOW!

Edit 2: False alarm, GAF is no-selling.

Ultratech

Seriously, why isn't WWE offering a streaming service? This whole network thing seems so ridiculous when you consider that alternative.

It certainly wouldn't earn them any less than a traditional pay network.

Honestly, it sounds like a pretty good idea.

They have a large enough library to utilize it, and wouldn't have to bother with the mess of doing their own network.

i thought the wwe channel was scrapped already. i think the dubstep fad is over with as well.

May as well be. Sounds like everytime they're close to ready, it's pushed back another year and then we hear nothing for months.

looks like she is wearing pasties. which is what Kaitlyn should have been wearing considering the kind of top that she wears.

Looks like nipple tape, but same concept I suppose.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
not much about TLoU is actual stealth, it's just pattern recognition. "stealth" games have been lazy for a long time. Mainly because as soon as you get some actually intelligent enemies, it stops being fun to play because the joy of those games is exploiting enemy patterns.

I wish stealth games would evolve and not be afraid. Dishonored was a step in the right direction but we're not there yet, that's more about controlling EVERYTHING as opposed to intelligent enemies.

Top Bottom