• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I wish we would get more stealth games like Commandos , at least there I felt like could see an evolution and improvement over time (ignoring the last game in the franchise) while the big name titles and those in 3D geometry just slid more and more into action games that had stealth or stayed stuck in a particular game design style mostly made in the 90s and early 2000s.

The best stealth game I've played in years is Mark of the Ninja because I felt rewarded for playing it with stealth and being smart about it, not as an aside to do if I'm bored.

not much about TLoU is actual stealth, it's just pattern recognition. "stealth" games have been lazy for a long time. Mainly because as soon as you get some actually intelligent enemies, it stops being fun to play because the joy of those games is exploiting enemy patterns.

I wish stealth games would evolve and not be afraid. Dishonored was a step in the right direction but we're not there yet, that's more about controlling EVERYTHING as opposed to intelligent enemies.

The stealth against the infected is quite literally broken. If you tilt the left stick slightly too far while following a runner, the motherfucker will immediately turn around and spot you. If that happens, literally every other infected in the area will be after you like a pack of fucking dogs with no ability to go back into hiding. They become completely omniscient to your location. Fucking pisses me off.

To be fair, in an area with ONLY humans, or ONLY clickers, you can go back to hiding if you fuck up.

If I posted the above complaints in the OT, I'd probably get a "Go fuck yourself, Naughty Gods can do no wrong" response from the regulars there lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I am going to take another crack at FFXII, I tried it a couple years ago but it was slow going. I got the International Version so it has some enhancements and it looks...much better on the platform I'm playing it on. I'd like to get somewhere in it because the mechanics and world are pretty good, nicely fleshed out.

i just watched a video on it. They should have John Cena on the roster.

iOMSmFd.jpg
There's just enough throw options to cover his entire grappling moveset

The best stealth game I've played in years is Mark of the Ninja because I felt rewarded for playing it with stealth and being smart about it, not as an aside to do if I'm bored.
My man, loved the game, it gives you all the information you need to tackle the situation making great use of visuals to indicate lighting and sound, plus it gave you playstyle options on how you could approach the stealth, nothing like a bit of a terror focus.

If that happens, literally every other infected in the area will be after you like a pack of fucking dogs with no ability to go back into hiding. They become completely omniscient to your location. Fucking pisses me off.
Haven't played TLOU yet but I hate this aspect of some stealth approaches, off the top of my head Uncharted 2 had those super armoured shotgun guys who seemed to always know your exact location even if you actually stealthed the shit out of all the other guards and were yet to be seen.

bangai-o

Banned
I am going to take another crack at FFXII, I tried it a couple years ago but it was slow going. I got the International Version so it has some enhancements and it looks...much better on the platform I'm playing it on. I'd like to get somewhere in it because the mechanics and world are pretty good, nicely fleshed out.

i am hoping that game gets an hd remake or even a 3ds remake.

as for the stealth discussion, the only games i can think of with proper ai were mgs (of course) and Halo. I cant really think of any game other then Halo where enemies would retreat toward cover or toward allies before counterattacking. I thought once Bungie did it, that other games would also start having good a.i., but 10 years later it still hasnt happened.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Speaking of Final Fantasy. I replayed Crisis Core recently. That's a good game. So is Theatrhythm.

Seems the spinoffs are the good FF games now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What I hate about Last of Us's stealth is what was said earlier. It's no big deal with humans, but if you get spotted once by infected, it's on. You can't escape it. You can hide again with humans if you get spotted. But the FUCKING ENEMY that is WAY harder, you can't hide again from. As soon as that noise is made, every fucking enemy within 10 miles comes. The only thing that keeps me alive is
the flamethrower.

There's just enough throw options to cover his entire grappling moveset

My man, loved the game, it gives you all the information you need to tackle the situation making great use of visuals to indicate lighting and sound, plus it gave you playstyle options on how you could approach the stealth, nothing like a bit of a terror focus.

Haven't played TLOU yet but I hate this aspect of some stealth approaches, off the top of my head Uncharted 2 had those super armoured shotgun guys who seemed to always know your exact location even if you actually stealthed the shit out of all the other guards and were yet to be seen.

Lots of the game design problems I have with TLOU were also present in the Uncharted games. I mean those games are decent and all, but the issues in them are overlooked by the gaming press and gamers to such a gross degree. ND will never evolve if nobody is allowed to point any criticism around their games. Quite maddening.

Oh, and btw, does Mark of the Ninja have a PC version? The best thing about PC gaming for me nowadays is playing 360 "exclusives" on my laptop using a DS3 lol.

Speaking of Final Fantasy. I replayed Crisis Core recently. That's a good game. So is Theatrhythm.

Seems the spinoffs are the good FF games now.

Crisis Core was soooo fucking good man. I remember buying both it and FFXIII on the same day one summer. I played XIII for like 4 hours and just wanted cry myself to sleep because of how boring it was, then I played CC and almost had an orgasm because it's so fun haha. Though the Angeal and Genesis bullshit is some of the worst plot points to ever be in a game, holy hell.

I thought the Theaterhythm demo was awful though, but I attribute that to my non-existent skills in rhythm games than it being bad.

strobogo

Banned
FF is probably the one big series that I just don't understand at all. It's so...lame. And weird. And dumb. Why are there 800 of them? Why is final in the title when the series has the most sequels of anything ever made?

bangai-o

Banned
FF is probably the one big series that I just don't understand at all. It's so...lame. And weird. And dumb. Why are there 800 of them? Why is final in the title when the series has the most sequels of anything ever made?

i liked final fantasy up until it all became about zippers and big clothes dont cover the naughty parts. Lost Odysee was the last great Final Fantasy.

edit. wrestling
tumblr_movfxyqGyb1rt4wx0o3_250.gif

Lots of the game design problems I have with TLOU were also present in the Uncharted games. I mean those games are decent and all, but the issues in them are overlooked by the gaming press and gamers to such a gross degree. ND will never evolve if nobody is allowed to point any criticism around their games. Quite maddening.

Oh, and btw, does Mark of the Ninja have a PC version? The best thing about PC gaming for me nowadays is playing 360 "exclusives" on my laptop using a DS3 lol.

I'm not a big fan of the Uncharted series, I felt that there was potential for something much greater in there if the actual gameplay got tuned up, which pretty much sets the stage for my TLOU scepticism, well i'll play it some point soon and find out myself.

And MotN does indeed have a PC version.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

do you wanna hear the story about how ff saved square from going under or do you wanna just whine about the iterations

it's a high budget JRPG series that can sell on name alone

that's all that matters.

KenOD

Mark of the Ninja is on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/214560/

I liked Theaterhythm. It was on Elite Beat Agents and it's Japanese cousins, but it did everything right for that style of rhythm game. I wish I knew what the hell was taking so long from making a sequel using SquareEnix's other properties in general or just Dragon Quest alone.

Uncharted? I can't talk about it much any more. Gaming Discussion just about killed it for me since I'm so awful for wish it do have more stealth/avoid fights with fun level design.

It's just a name. The Ultimate Warrior wasn't actually all that ultimate (but he was secretly a dingo), The Rock isn't a stone, Sgt. Slaughter was never military, Nord the Barbarian wasn't truly a barbarian, Joe Acton wasn't actually a little demon, and Daniel Bryan is secretly Bryan Danielson. It's all a work.

Kane actually is Kane though, that Glenn personality is all a work.

Speaking of Joe Action though, look, old mainstream wrestling promotion.

TNA should really stop trying to be what they are and go back to classic mainstream wrestling style for what they imitate. It would make more sense for Eric Young to still have a job that way if he has to wrestle a bear one week, then do a rodeo the next, then dress up as a racist aborigine outfit and fight cowboys.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
do you wanna hear the story about how ff saved square from going under or do you wanna just whine about the iterations

that's all that matters.

not anymore!

Kane actually is Kane though, that Glenn personality is all a work.

Are you telling me that Good Guy Glenn might not be a good guy after all? my heart can't take this...

Theatrhythm was actually the first FF related game I truly enjoyed and I only tried it because of the Elite Beat Agents connection and lower price tag, in turn it got me to play through FF6 shortly afterwards which was actually a pretty good game with a killer soundtrack, alas my trip to FF4 was not so successful as it bored me to bits, not a series I tend to get along with really from my various brush ins with it but I respect what it does for the most part.

strobogo

Banned

that's all that matters.

I don't like JRPGs I guess is the real issue and Final Fantasy is the biggest and never ending series.

I'm not a big fan of the Uncharted series, I felt that there was potential for something much greater in there if the actual gameplay got tuned up, which pretty much sets the stage for my TLOU scepticism, well i'll play it some point soon and find out myself.

I'd say TLOU is AT LEAST 10x the game that Uncharted 2 was. It's not just a glorified cutscene, and does have a decent amount of depth to it. With that said, I do have some issues with it, but they can be overlooked. Really enjoyed it.

I also might check out MotN, but only during a steam sale :p

The Last Remnant is a pretty fun jrpg. I've been playing it on PC lately. Pretty sure it's never getting a sequel though at this point :(

Seems to be a common occurrence with the games I like, but shit like Assassin's Creed gets a new game every year. Damn it all to hell ;_;

Kaladin

There might be an explanation to RVD not giving a fuck during the latter part of his TNA run:

In response to being asked on his twitter why he left TNA, Rob Van Dam responded:

"Contract expired. So did professionalism, courtesy and respect."

He quit giving a fuck about the time he was written out of storylines by having Abyss attack him with Janice. That was also his last serious main event run. He was actually decent up till the. He still needs to show me something in WWE though.

Xavier Woods new gimmick on NXT is pretty hilarious he's a straight up jobber/midcarder though. Using Tekken moves, having a Power Rangers communicator and saying its Morphin Time before his finisher. Going to a Nintendo 64 Goldeneye tournament.

strobogo

Banned
RVD didn't give a fuck the entire TNA run. He gave a shit for his match against Hardy and AJ. That's it. Those were both in the first month or so. He clearly thought TNA was small time and was just there for the money and I don't think he really tried to hide that, even publicly.

KenOD

I can't muster any interest in RVD coming back to WWE. One Night Stand 2006 was a long time ago and nothing since then has ever made me say "I want more".

I love Y2J, he'll forever be one of my favourite wrestlers, but his last two runs have all just fallen apart and at least I like him. What's RVD going to be to me? An instant "skip past this" on Raw and Smackdown?

I wish it was Shelton Benjamin instead.

Kaladin

I can't muster any interest in RVD coming back to WWE. One Night Stand 2006 was a long time ago and nothing since then has ever made me say "I want more".

I love Y2J, he'll forever be one of my favourite wrestlers, but his last two runs have all just fallen apart and at least I like him. What's RVD going to be to me? An instant "skip past this" on Raw and Smackdown?

I wish it was Shelton Benjamin instead.

Or MVP or John Morrison or Maria

somedevil

The thing is RVD still has drawing power for 90% percent of the Raw audience. The Chicago crowd loved him coming back and his name helped sell out Money in the Bank a month in advance. In the fans eyes he far ahead of Shelton, MVP or Morrison.

He basically going to fill into Jericho role when he leaves after Money in the Bank. Not sure if he be a face or heel but they can put him with Heyman and can feud with Punk if they want.

Im not excited for RVD but im interested. I didn't watch any of his TNA stuff just cause its TNA. He's not gonna be main event anyways so there will at least be some good midcard matches with his return

Im excited for these matches

RVD vs Punk 2013
RVD vs Bryan
RVD vs Cesaro
RVD vs Shield
RVD vs Adrian Neville (on NXT)
RVD vs ADR (Best 3 letter name)
RVD vs Sin Cara (on WWE Main Event)
RVD vs Ryback (Singlet match)
RVD vs Ziggler (Selling match)
RVD vs Kofi (High flyer jobber match)

KissVibes

Banned
Im not excited for RVD but im interested. I didn't watch any of his TNA stuff just cause its TNA. He's not gonna be main event anyways so there will at least be some good midcard matches with his return

Im excited for these matches

RVD vs Punk 2013
RVD vs Bryan
RVD vs Cesaro
RVD vs Shield
RVD vs Adrian Neville (on NXT)
RVD vs ADR (Best 3 letter name)
RVD vs Sin Cara (on WWE Main Event)
RVD vs Ryback (Singlet match)
RVD vs Ziggler (Selling match)
RVD vs Kofi (High flyer jobber match)

SELLING AND RVD DON'T MIX.

SELLING AND RVD DON'T MIX.

RiiVZ.gif

theholyshitRKO.gif

piledriver-o.gif

You know how certain wrestlers have 5MOD? That's RVD's matches lately. His entire match is laid out like 5MOD.

Meh he doesn't have to do much let the other guys carry the match I don't mind seeing RVD's 5 MOD even though most of them are pretty ridiculous. DB can carry Ryback im sure with RVD itll be at least good

Bumping is not selling.

Whatever best bumping. RVD vs Ziggler will be good just for that

From what I've seen, I seem to be one of the biggest Uncharted 3 critics on Gaming side and I love The Last of Us. Completely different kind of game and combat is vastly improved. Give it a shot.

KenOD

I remember watching a match between RVD, Kendo Kashin, and Necro Butcher and thinking how odd it was Necro Butcher was the only guy close to entertaining me.

gurudyne

What's his five moves?

Rolling thunder, split legged moonsault, 5* frog splash. And uh, that's all I got. I guess kicking counts

You forgot *throws chair, opponent catches chair and RVD kicks chair into his face* If there's a chair and RVD is around, this one is 100% guaranteed.

You forgot *throws chair, opponent catches chair and RVD kicks chair into his face* If there's a chair and RVD is around, this one is 100% guaranteed.

VAN DAMINATOR

And then VAN TERMINATOR

Also there's that top rope single dropkick thing and the stepover heel kick

Source: WWE With Authority! The best wrestling card game ever made

Top Bottom