• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

Well that attitude lead to him being fined for the Christy Hemme incident.
lLRD0ps.jpg

Kaladin

Yeah, that finish was pretty much perfectly executed, amazing stuff from Marufuji. But for sheer emotion and crowd reaction, I'm going to have to go for the finish of the Kobashi & Misawa vs The Holy Demon Army title match from 95, the first time Kawada ever pinned Misawa;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALyg-EhxbgI#t=46m30s

I'll give you the crowd reaction on that one, but I think the crowd reaction for Marufuji was weak because it happened too fast for the crowd to process it. I had to rewind it a few times to know what happened myself.

Totally not a tag match, but I always loved the crowd reaction for the finals of the 91 G1 Climax, just because it was pretty surreal;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtw64XMNHH0#t=11m25s

Off on another tangent, AIW have been uploading a whole bunch of clips from the JLIT, I'm know I'm repeating myself at this point but these shows are well worth picking up. I love tournaments and this one's a cracker.

Bobby Beverly & Kimber Lee exchange shots;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj5876rejB0

Goddamn, Kimber took a beating in this match, but more than stood up to Beverly. I've been very impressed with her matches this year.

HUGE powerbomb from Chris Dickinson;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9syI0l1boY

Ricky Shane Page with a super dumb reverse powerbomb off the top-rope;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDsG-45cl8

Selizya Sparx vs Ethan Page;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L96LSHX7AxI

Selizya did a great job in this match and Page is amazing as the scumbag heel.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Everyone complains about Madden

wrestling fans WISH they could get a Madden. Good god, the Stone Cold model in that 2k14 trailer is thE EXACT same.

Some more snippets from the Jim Cornette interview;

In reference to El Generico signing with WWE;

"He's the type of idiot they would sign these days."

In reference to the Steen/Generico/Cabana/Corino feud;

"Their feud destroyed wrestling, nearly put ROH out of business and is the opposite of what ROH should be about."

In reference to the ROH fans;

"They have the patience of a crack addict."

In regards to A-Double;

"Austin Aries is the most miserable motherfucker in the wrestling business."

Also, he completely buried the Super Smash Bros, who he thinks can't wrestle, have awful gimmicks, have no business being anywhere near ROH and should just retire. God, it must have killed him to hear how over they were with the ROH fans.

Finally, he doesn't seem to fundamentally understand WHY the fans disliked Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team so much - it wasn't because he turned them heel or because of the way they were winning matches, it was because their matches were DULL.

Go home, Jim. You're old.

I need to watch this shoot.

He'll get you, he's a world-class duder. For reals.

That he did!

After a really tough week seeing my boy D-Bry going over clean was amazing! I still think they might add more to it still but hopefully it just means he can move on and focus properly on MitB now! Really excited for it.

Raw crowd didn't deserve it though they weren't as excited as they should be. Imagine if it happened on some of the more recent shows lately.

Like when they beat The Shield the crowd was going nuts. So weird they just did that on a random taped Smackdown lol.

I don't understand why Dolph lost, I haven't been following things closely is he real life hurt still? Or are they just trying to turn him into a cool loose cannon face with zomgpullagunonyoubertoheat? I was legit angry at another title reign of his being stunted after all that wait/build. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
After seeing last night's pretty shameful crowd, I want to ask a WrassleGAF Question:

What's the worst crowd you've ever seen, and why? Utter disrespect, or sitting on their hands during some SERIOUS shit, or what?

CdfobQ7.jpg

Matches announced:

*First Time Ever*
Kevin Steen vs. MASADA

*There Must Be A Winner*
Drew Gulak vs. Chris Dickinson

*Best of New England Challenge #1*
Eddie Edwards vs. Biff Busick

*Best Of New England Challenge #2*
AR Fox vs. Anthony Stone

*Best Of New England Challenge #3*
Johnny Gargano vs. JT Dunn

Shout outs to Beyond Wrestling for their first show in Providence, RI! 1 month from now, I will definitely be in attendance for this! Colt is gonna be there, but no match announced yet.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I can ever click with Sonic games. I've bought all of them and tried all, the ones I had the best luck with were the first one on Dreamcast and Sonic CD, but even then it's not been as easy for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just play Marvel. Forget about other games.

But Marvel is for children with spazoid tendencies

(MvC2 and up, 1 was so good)

Nah for real, it's too combo heavy for me. That's why I gravitate towards playing Sim in SSF4 and I'm a huge lover of Virtua Fighter. They both have combos but they're not stupid-ridiculous. I definitely prefer mind games. Oddly, I think Divekick is trash, when that's ALL about it.

Virtua Fighter's the best though. VF babay

Shout outs to Beyond Wrestling for their first show in Providence, RI! 1 month from now, I will definitely be in attendance for this! Colt is gonna be there, but no match announced yet.

Wow, some awesome looking matches there, especially Gulak vs Dickinson and Busick vs Edwards. I haven't seen much of Beyond, but it seems like a good promotion and I'll definitely be checking this one out when it's released.

BFIB

Nah for real, it's too combo heavy for me. That's why I gravitate towards playing Sim in SSF4 and I'm a huge lover of Virtua Fighter. They both have combos but they're not stupid-ridiculous. I definitely prefer mind games. Oddly, I think Divekick is trash, when that's ALL about it.

I would always watch the attract mode to see Wolf's powerbomb.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a sucker for "there must be a winner" matches, even though a lot of places overbook that shit. I like knowing there's some finality.

I honestly play them all from time to time. I was into VF4 Evo for like 2 solid years wrecking shit with Wolf. UMVC3 is like crack though, I can't get enough of it.

I haven't played Divekick yet but it honestly looks really interesting, it's basically all meta. I think it could be a great tool for helping new people learn some spacing fundamentals.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly play them all from time to time. I was into VF4 Evo for like 2 solid years wrecking shit with Wolf. UMVC3 is like crack though, I can't get enough of it.

I haven't played Divekick yet but it honestly looks really interesting, it's basically all meta. I think it could be a great tool for helping new people learn some spacing fundamentals.

Evolution was pretty much jesus coming down from heaven. I remember the day I got it, was so fucking wild about it. Aaaaagh I loved it.

That's one of the things that always drew me to Sim. I used to be a Zangief player, but Vanilla SF4 kinda soured me on him (I would lose my shit and my composure against akumas) so I wanted someone who can pick apart Shotos and Sim was the man. Never looked back. Can't play with normal characters, period, now. I just love poking people to fuckin death and them not being able to do shit.

Wow, some awesome looking matches there, especially Gulak vs Dickinson and Busick vs Edwards. I haven't seen much of Beyond, but it seems like a good promotion and I'll definitely be checking this one out when it's released.

Check out their youtube, they put up full matches from time to time. Beyond
Drew Gulak vs Biff Busick

Evolution was pretty much jesus coming down from heaven. I remember the day I got it, was so fucking wild about it. Aaaaagh I loved it.

That's one of the things that always drew me to Sim. I used to be a Zangief player, but Vanilla SF4 kinda soured me on him (I would lose my shit and my composure against akumas) so I wanted someone who can pick apart Shotos and Sim was the man. Never looked back. Can't play with normal characters, period, now. I just love poking people to fuckin death and them not being able to do shit.

Good shit, I respect Sim and he's a guilty pleasure of mine when I'm playing casually. I like picking him apart with Ryu a lot more tho.

After seeing last night's pretty shameful crowd, I want to ask a WrassleGAF Question:

What's the worst crowd you've ever seen, and why? Utter disrespect, or sitting on their hands during some SERIOUS shit, or what?

Evolve 10 was one of the more frustrating ones. It was the farewell to the ECW arena and there was a CZW show before it. That crowd stayed and crapped on any wrestling and kept screaming for blood. They were all there to see a few old dudes smash each other with canes one more time. I was frustrated with that one.

Also, anyone know what's up with AR Fox. He's asking for legal fund help on Facebook. I know he has a lot of old legal issues but hadn't heard about anything new.

bangai-o

Banned
Tonight's match changed my mind about Orton. I only recently started watching the WWE again and at the time I stopped watching I thought Orton was nothing more than a spot match who was bad on the mic. The guy has really improved and knows how to wrestle now.

Orton was always good on the mic. Its just when he became face, he pretty much dropped the mic. His wrestling was the same. He was the Legend Killer.

Orton will probably never go back to heel.

Has my man Lou Thesz been in any good matches recently?

Unfortunately not, but I hear Masahiro Chono lives in fear of a zombified Lou Thesz rising from the dead to claim his win back. The man hasn't had a good night's sleep in 23 years.

Is there like only one picture of Johnny Gargano that exists in the entire world?

I'm presuming there's exactly one picture in existence of Gargano in a high enough resolution so as to not look tacky and with the borders already trimmed so as whoever's making the poster doesn't have to do much work.

I seriously hate that fucking smirk.

You son of a bi-

My man.

Aiii

So not worth it
I was thinking on this during Cena's usual shit promo this Raw. Do you guys think WWE is actually hurting their ratings and general impression of their product by having this guy come out there for ten minutes to a chorus of boos, jeers and negative chants overall while cutting the most generic promo's that boil down to rising above hate and what not every week?

I know his segments are well rated, but what if people tune out during it, so the numbers don't reflect it until the next fifteen minute numbers? Seems like such bad advertisement to have your top good guy doing his thing to apathic and negative crowds all the time. What if they leave and stop watching alltogether?

jred2k

I was thinking on this during Cena's usual shit promo this Raw. Do you guys think WWE is actually hurting their ratings and general impression of their product by having this guy come out there for ten minutes to a chorus of boos, jeers and negative chants overall while cutting the kost generic promo's that boil down to rising above hate and what not every week?

I know his segments are well rated, but what if people tune out during it, so the numbers don't reflect it until the next fifteen minute numbers? Seems like such bad advertisement to have your top good guy doing his thing to apathic and negative crowds all the time. What if they leave and stop watching alltogether?

It would also be interesting to see how many new fans Cena gains a year. I imagine most Cena fans now are just comfortable knowing they'll get the same old shit with him and thats what they enjoy. Hes always the least-compelling part of any feud hes in. I know I'm looking at it jaded, but why would anyone getting in to wrestling today choose him to be their favourite. The guy peaked a long time ago I think.

Kaladin

It would also be interesting to see how many new fans Cena gains a year. I imagine most Cena fans now are just comfortable knowing they'll get the same old shit with him and thats what they enjoy. Hes always the least-compelling part of any feud hes in. I know I'm looking at it jaded, but why would anyone getting in to wrestling today choose him to be their favourite. The guy peaked a long time ago I think.

All of Cena's new fans are probably 10 and under, kids who are watching wrestling for the first time and are at the age where they still like kids TV like Power Rangers or whatever kids watch these days with good guys vs bad guys.

BFIB

I was thinking on this during Cena's usual shit promo this Raw. Do you guys think WWE is actually hurting their ratings and general impression of their product by having this guy come out there for ten minutes to a chorus of boos, jeers and negative chants overall while cutting the most generic promo's that boil down to rising above hate and what not every week?

I think its reached the point to where we are almost waiting for something different to happen with Cena.

But it never will. If he didn't go heel at WM, he's never going heel period.

Kaladin

2013-06-25 14:10:27

WWE star Jack Swagger was found guilty of DUI and speeding at his trial just an hour ago in Gulfport, MS.
Swagger was sentenced to six months' probation, a $500 fine and will have to pay for all court costs related to his case.

Swagger was also sentenced to two days in jail, but his attorney was able to get that suspended, so he will not have to spend any time behind bars.

The presiding Judge also dismissed a possession charge against Swagger. Swagger was believed to have been using marijuana before being arrested.

Swagger was arrested on 2/19 in Gulfsport, MS, just 90 minutes after a WWE Smackdown taping in Biloxi, MS. He was just beginning his big push for a Wrestlemania World title shot at Alberto Del Rio at the time. City prosecutor Kirk Clark had been pushing for the maximum sentence against Swagger, two days in jail and completion of victim-impact classes, but obviously did not get that.

tm24

Just finished the Chaos vs Suzuki-Gun tag from Dominion. So good! Ishii totally jumped into my fav fave after this match. I want Ishii vs. Suzuki now

EDIT:Checked the next ippv card and it does have that match! Hype!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the Chaos vs Suzuki-Gun tag from Dominion. So good! Ishii totally jumped into my fav fave after this match. I want Ishii vs. Suzuki now

EDIT:Checked the next ippv card and it does have that match! Hype!

Isnt' it great? Man!

bangai-o

Banned

well "overall" he is getting cheers, whether wresslgaf is willing to admit it or not. Last night he got more cheers, and most arenas will give majority cheers. Did you just ask if the ratings might be high because people keep it on that channel, but dont watch it? How does that explain when the ratings do actually go down?

somedevil

WWE Viewers:

8pm: 3.743
9pm: 4.287
10pm: 3.910

Avg: 3.98

Down 170,000 from last week. It seems playoff hockey affected them and maybe they lost some in the 10pm from under the dome.

The important thing is the quarter hour of the Orton and Bryan match to see how that goes. I hoping it did great because the WWE loves kneejerk reactions to ratings.

Aiii

So not worth it
well "overall" he is getting cheers, whether wresslgaf is willing to admit it or not. Last night he got more cheers, and most arenas will give majority cheers. Did you just ask if the ratings might be high because people keep it on that channel, but dont watch it? How does that explain when the ratings do actually go down?

Let me clarify some:
1. Ratings have been dropping for years, Cena might very well be a main cause for viewers to turn away from Raw.
2. Viewers turning out five minute after Cena starts talking might well be attributed to the next segment or match because they break down ratings per 15 minutes and not per actual segment.
3. At best on average he gets a 50/50 reaction. For instance last night there were very audible shouts of "boring" during his promo, what message does that send to people watching your program?

Guzim

Anytime WWE goes to Corpus Christi.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to say ratings mean shit now. Not a good gauge of anything.

Maybe I was just in a good mood this morning but watching the last hour and a half of Raw was enjoyable and made me smile, it was an unusual phenomenon.
Couldn't help but wonder why Ryback was so happy after having his match with Jericho was booked, so he goes in demanding a WWE title rematch, ends up against Jericho because of flimsy reasons made up there and then and then he leaves looking pretty chuffed about the whole exchange, guess he forgot why he went there in the first place.

Top Bottom